Brooklyn 8-17-12

Tour dates, set lists, show reviews
farrellgirl99

Brooklyn 8-17-12

#1 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:05 pm

I won't make this long and bore ya'll but it was a great show. And I know some people will say the usual :blah: but they sounded really good (Dave sounded wonderful on the solos) and they had a ton of energy. Perry even sounded better than when I saw him in March on Long Island.

The setlist was the usual but they played Classic Girl, Up the Beach, Whores and Three Days in a row which was awesome, and then ended with an encore of Splash, Ocean Size, Stop, and Summertime Rolls. So happy to hear Summertime in there.

I was front row against the barriers (the barriers kept people about 7 feet from the stage which was lame but saved me from getting crushed) on Dave's side and he seemed into it.

Also, Die Antwoord put on quite the high energy opener. I had seen them before a couple of years ago and hated them, but honestly they were a great pick to open because they got the crowd going (even if those people didn't stay for janes :lol: ). It was funny, I think half the crowd was only there for them. When I first got there there was a huge line filled with young hip people under 25 who looked like freaks and I wondered if I was in the right place cause I'm used to being the only one under 30 at janes shows. But yeah Die Antwoord were very entertaining.

Here are a few pics I took:

tubro

Re: Brooklyn 8-17-12

#2 Post by tubro » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:09 pm

nice pics, farrell girl.
i was about 15 feet back, dead center.
i'll keep it short and simple too.
they were a terrific rock band tonite.
perry's voice was a bit shot but he sang thru it.
dave's solos ripped.
i can't really imagine how anyone could say a bad word about perkins or cheney.
the band is on. the music is loud and hard. the stage show is fun and freaky.

completely agree with fg that the run of classic, up, whores, 3days was just great. and summertime to end it on a warm night at a generic but very effective outdoor venue was perfect.

these shows are not epic or legendary but they are played great by a band of legends. i remain a fan.

oh, i managed to get myself into this radio winner 'fan jam' where they load 25 or so fans into a little room in the band's trailer and they play a short and fun set with the fans 2 feet away. had a dad and idiots rule. all four smiling and having fun. navarro wailed. perry seemed clear eyed and happy. when it ended i asked them to please do 'then she did' during the set. perk and cheney smiled and said i should have asked sooner and maybe they could have played it there in the trailor. i chatted with cheney for a minute, said hi to dave and mentioned that a mutual friend of ours sends his regards, to which he smiled and told me to say hi to the. perry was saying hey man and pounding everyone on his way out. happy dudes. walked out and house lights were down and p.a. had the regular pink floyd shine on you crazy diamond playing, and the band was on less than five minutes later.

setlist
underground
mt song
just because
aint no right [perry said something about stealing before they played it, apparently forgetting where they were in the set]
irresistable force
been caught stealing
jane says
classic girl
up the beach
whores
three days

splash a little water on it [started a bit slow but nice and spacey, and ended big. good production.]
ocean size
stop
summertime rolls

add in had a dad and idiots rule that i was lucky enough to see them play pre-show, and i got me a 17 song, over 90 minute set. not a bad way to spend a friday night outdoors - hearing one of the better bands and some of the great rock stars of their era, not exactly changing the world but showing theyre still great.
Last edited by tubro on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zendo

#3 Post by zendo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Perry sounded incredible! Dave had solos on ocean and three days and stop that blew my mind, it was in inconsistent show but a :rockon: hair raiser! Scary, fucked up Jane's show... there you go!

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:32 pm

Glad you guys had a good time but I'm waiting to hear from bman before I will believe this was a good show. I wonder if he thought the show was good? :lolol:

Romeo

#5 Post by Romeo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:17 am

I won tickets from 101.9. So I'm texting people to see who wanted to go.....for free.....no takers. Kind of telling. But my friend Sterling (himself a performance/artist/singer) wanted to go. Sterling knows nothing about Janes but loves live performance so it's all fresh in his eyes. (plus my friend Ash was going to be there taking pictures.she got there after Die Antwoord and was still able to buy a ticket). So we go.

ok first off this venue is ok, for a outdoor venue with port-o-potties in a kick ass 'hood. The old venue which was a few blocks down the road was so much nicer with the amazing view of Manhattan. But whatever, the big gay ice cream truck has a stand so you know at least you'll have a yummy ice cream sandwich. And all the great NYC freaks were representing. It took me back to time I remember ever so fondly and it was a good feeling

So before the show I see a couple of Park Slope Parentzillas with their BABY and toddler. A kid about 3 and a baby about 8 months old.....REALLY?? After Die Antwoord opened with "I WANT TO FUCK YOU UP THE ASS" I turned to my friend and said "I guess bringing the kids wasn't your brightest idea ever, was it buddy"?? :lol: Die Antwoord.....meh. Maybe I'm passed the age where rapping about penises, vagina and anal sex is "shocking" or fun. And I've already seen Bjork so that Yolandi girl's voice is just annoying.
But they had a good beat so it felt like a old Brooklyn warehouse rave.

Ok on to Janes. I was on Dave's side maybe 5 or 6 human rows back. On Underground,all you hear is Dave. Perry's mic was either out or out on the left side speakers. But Dave has a nice voice so..... :lol:

The band...KILLED. Dave was blowing me away. He usually always does, that's the Dave I wildly admire. Not the hanging from fish hooks doing reality TV guy. Perk and chaney were steady. Chaney was more animated than I have ever seen him. Perry's voice is shot, gone. Sayanora. How anyone can think he sounded incredible, compared to what?? Yolandi?? Perry is just....entertaining. That's it. It's gone.
Now remember I brought a pair of fresh ears with me, who has no past glory to compare it to. And even he said "wow, he has no voice". Sterling admired his energy for a 50 something but that was about it. On the way home on the L I played him whores off XXX. His eyes opened wide and couldn't believe that was the same person he just saw.
But I was just get lost in the music which is still balls to the wall & Brooklyn brought the energy. I was so happy they did Classic Girl. Could care less for the new songs, BCS or a rounding rendition of Just Because. whores, ANR, up the beach (which still needs to be the opener, not a middle of the set song), Ocean size, three days....those all sounded great.
On a scale from 1-10 I give the show a 8.5.

of course bman will think it was the best show he ever saw, it was epic!! :lol:

bman

#6 Post by bman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:39 am

WHAT! Romeo liked Janes Addiction! Are you kidding me, the world must be coming to an end!
The show was good, not epic! Up The Beach, Whores, Three Days, Ocean Size and Summertime Rolls wer all GREAT. I wanted them to end with Summertime and I finally got it this tour.

Die Antwoord is AWFUL. Absolutely horrible! A lot of people left right after them so I was able to move up pretty close. I was dead center about 15 rows back. There was a pit that got a little narly at time. It's always these shirtless bruiser types. I love when the pit forms b/c I go occupy some space at the fringes. But I got pushed pretty hard so I went and pushed the dude back pretty hard! Hope it wasn't anyone here! The beginning of Underground was funny b/c Dave's voice was louder than Perryz! Perry also lost his way at the end of Stop. The solo began and Perry was still doing the, "WILLL RUNNNNNN". He kind of looked around and laughed it off. I knew Brooklyn would be good. They Always make NYC a special stop. They also had more girls on stage dancing for Been Caught Stealing. She was tossing fake money. And they were on stage tossing petals on Summertime too. Perry is cool but he needs to stop making Drug references! Dude, hitting some weed is not doing drugs! I'm sure Perry hasn't done a line of blow in 10 years. BUt he kept saying something like, Throw Up Some Drugs, or Jewelry. I saw Perry's biker looking brother on the side of the stage. For me, Three Days and Summertime Rolls were absolutely incredible. But I got to admit, I much prefer the club shows instead. I felt kind of removed a bit. The venue was pretty big. I also went with 7 people and that was a bit different for me too. I also had to eat 2 tickets! So sad. No one I know wanted free tickets! It's sign of getting older! All in all I thought it was good show.

bman

#7 Post by bman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:19 am

Also, Jane Says doesn't sound that good anymore. Perry needs to echo it up or try to so sing it higher. Classic Girl sounds good still though.

kv

#8 Post by kv » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:09 am

glad people had fun

tubro

#10 Post by tubro » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Romeo wrote:I won tickets from 101.9. So I'm texting people to see who wanted to go.....for free.....no takers. Kind of telling.
yeah i had some passes from a friend at AEG and my friends had some radio winner tix. all in all we had 8 tickets, all free, and still could only find six people to go. could not give away free tickets with backstage passes. still, there was a big crowd and in the competitive outdoor summer stage world, it seemed that they did pretty well.
Romeo wrote: ok first off this venue is ok, for a outdoor venue with port-o-potties in a kick ass 'hood. The old venue which was a few blocks down the road was so much nicer with the amazing view of Manhattan. But whatever, the big gay ice cream truck has a stand so you know at least you'll have a yummy ice cream sandwich. And all the great NYC freaks were representing. It took me back to time I remember ever so fondly and it was a good feeling
completely agree. i had a great feeling watching music there. it was pretty generic - just a stage on a concrete field with warehouses all around, but as temporary venues go, on a warm night in BK watching these guys wail - it really did give me a great feeling about how great live music can be when the performance and the crowd and the venue are in synch. really nice night in all respects.
Romeo wrote: So before the show I see a couple of Park Slope Parentzillas with their BABY and toddler. A kid about 3 and a baby about 8 months old.....REALLY?? After Die Antwoord opened with "I WANT TO FUCK YOU UP THE ASS"

thanks for my laugh of the day. back in the mccarren days i brought my one year old to ween. (or maybe devo...don't recall...they were the same summer). he slept in the stroller with noise cancelling ear muffs on, all the way in the back. when he woke up, he danced around in mom's arms. and we still felt sort of guilty. kids at shows always make me think , in an unkind way, about deadheads in the parking lot. and i love deadheads. just not those deadheads.
Romeo wrote:
Die Antwoord.....meh.
But they had a good beat so it felt like a old Brooklyn warehouse rave.
i only heard their last song or two while entering and hanging in the back near the gay ice cream, and i had the same feeling. seemed like a nice beat for a rave-y warehouse vibe venue. from the back, the loud beats were bouncing off the warehouses along the house left side, which was pretty cool. i heard a little of that wild echo-y sound during three days, when i was down front. that was pretty cool too.

Romeo wrote: Ok on to Janes. I was on Dave's side maybe 5 or 6 human rows back. On Underground,all you hear is Dave. Perry's mic was either out or out on the left side speakers.
i was on chaney's side during the first couple of songs and dave was just as loud. it was totally bizarre to hear a jane's song with another voice so high up in the mix. the part where perry and etty sing together was mixed better.
Romeo wrote: Perry's voice is shot, gone. Sayanora. How anyone can think he sounded incredible, compared to what?? Yolandi?? Perry is just....entertaining. That's it. It's gone.
there's no doubt his voice is in bad shape. but i thought he sang thru it pretty well, like an injured athlete hanging in there. i was pretty impressed at the effort and, of course, you're right - he's an entertainer. i'm also glad perry has manned up a bit lately. prancing around like a show tunes star during NINJA was a bit weird. perry's movements reminded me more of what he looked like in the old days than they have recently. but his voice is in trouble. he has to either take time off and get serious about rehabbing his voice followed by taking care of it on the road, or je'll never be able to sing well again.

fun show. glad i saw it.
thanks for the review, romeo

blackula

#11 Post by blackula » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:12 pm

I think it started a little slow, energy-wise. They had some moments from Underground through Jane Says. IF and ANR stood out for me. Once they played Classic Girl into Up The Beach I thought the whole performance changed and entered into a "all right, this is fucking Jane's" type show. They were on fire. Even Splash was kind of epic, and I can't stand it on TGEA.

I would really like to thank Chaney for 2 reasons:

1. He moved around a little

2. He fucked up Stop and I think that's why we got Summertime Rolls. During Stop, as they got to the sing-a-long Perry goes "gimme back gimme back. Brooklyn" and was about to talk before singing the part like he's done before. Chaney went into the bass chords for the OH Oh oh part. Perry looked over and went "not yet!" but it was too late. The sing-a-long was ruined. The second the song ended Perry but his finger up towards Dave and was saying "one more, one more".

All in all I thought they were pretty awesome, especially from Classic Girl on.

Romeo

#12 Post by Romeo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:25 am

Yea I saw Perry say to Dave "one more" at the end. Summertime Rolls was a great song to pull out of their ass

And Bman did you actually read what I wrote?? Your always claiming in every show review how great Perry is and I am stating he is just an entertainer, a nostalgic act that we go to see because of it's past relevance. Like looking at the apollo 11 capsule in a museum. It was once something. But the we have the space shuttle....

I never have an issue with Perkins, I never have issue with Dave ON stage.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#14 Post by Hokahey » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:13 am

Nice. Haven't seen a thread like this in a long time.

kv

#15 Post by kv » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 am

Romeo wrote:Yea I saw Perry say to Dave "one more" at the end. Summertime Rolls was a great song to pull out of their ass
i saw the set list it was on it as a maybe

bman

#16 Post by bman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:18 am

Turn it up! This band is still GREAT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQXzYKcZU2I

kv

#17 Post by kv » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:36 pm

:lolol: oh bman never change

bman

#18 Post by bman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Oh come on, that clip is totally great! I'm in it too! Trying to leave the mosh pit at 6:48!! :thumb: :rockon:

Romeo

#19 Post by Romeo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:46 am

I only saw this review yesterday on News 4 NY website.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/blogs/nonstop ... 25866.html

especially the crowd being trapped in the 90's (but in a good way)

And about playing Classic Girl