John Anson Ford Theater 10/3/11 (Night 1)

Tour dates, set lists, show reviews
Pandemonium

John Anson Ford Theater 10/3/11 (Night 1)

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:07 pm

Setlists, reviews, Chris' herbal drug boogers all go here.

thoreau

Re: John Anson Ford Theater 10/3/11 (Night 1)

#2 Post by thoreau » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:12 am

Last Night reviews
Jane's Addiction at the John Anson Ford Amphitheatre

Jane's Addiction
October 3rd, 2011
John Anson Ford Amphitheatre

Lasers, confetti, scantily clad dancers, and the intimacy of the John Anson Ford Amphitheatre served as a perfect back drop for an explosive set by Jane's Addiction. Gearing up for the release of their new album The Great Escape Artist on October 18th, Jane's Addiction have been playing a select number of dates at smaller venues across the country.

The chugging bass line of "Whores" by Chris Chaney jumpstarted the evening that had Jane's Addiction hitting the gas pedal and never letting up. Looking dapper in a grey suit and tie, Perry Ferrell was the ringleader of the festivities dancing all over the stage and shaking hands with the enthusiastic fans in the front while perfectly singing every note.

Dave Navarro's Paul Reed Smith guitar was practically smoking all night with his blistering fretwork on "Just Because" backed by the super kinetic drumming of Stephen Perkins. Another thunderous bass line introduced "Ain't No Right" as Ferrell stepped over to his rack of effects to modify his vocals.

It was a visual and auditory feast as Jane's Addiction busted out the lasers and dancers for a mind blowing version of "Ted, Just Admit It". Ferrell would reminisce about the block of shows they played at the same venue in 1988 recalling how he met Axl Rose. "Been Caught Stealing" had Navarro pull off some more dazzling fretwork as he closed out the song with a wah drenched solo.

Perkins physically propelled their new song "End To The Lies" with his tribal drumming accompanied by Navarro's spacey guitars. The laser light show switched to shades of blue during "Ocean Size" as Chaney was still rock solid on laying down his rumbling bass parts. "Three Days" was a tour de force featuring more lightening fast guitar licks by Navarro and Ferrell grabbing some maracas to accent the percussion of the song.

Lasers continued to fry my retina as they dived into another new song "Irresistible Force" that seamlessly blended in nicely with their old catalog. Acknowledging their punk roots, "L.A Medley" featured bits of Black Flag and X. Ferrell would put his arm around Navarro for "Mountain Song" as the crowd went wild.

Confetti would pour over the crowd for "Stop" as Ferrell professed his love for Los Angeles before the song. Their usual encore of "Jane Says" had the crowd desperately wanting more. My only complaint was I don't have a ticket for the next night.

Local band IO Echo did a stellar job of opening the evening with their dark and moody tunes fusing elements of Bauhaus and Siouxsie and the Banshees. I still await the release of their debut album. Another opening act wasn't nearly as successful as Boys received more cheers when they announced they one had one song left in their set.

Personal Bias: The Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction tour in 2009 is one of my favorite tours.

Crowd: A lot of hardcore fans who probably saw them in 1988.

Random Notebook Dump: Jane's Addiction employs the same lighting technician as Nine Inch Nails. He's quite unique in the world of lighting techs as he voraciously bangs his head shirtless to the music.

Setlist:
"Whores"
"Just Because"
"Ain't No Right"
"Ted, Just Admit It.."
"Been Caught Stealing"
"End To The Lies"
"Ocean Size"
"Three Days"
"Irresistible Force"
"L.A. Medley"
"Mountain Song"
"Stop"
"Jane Says"

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentalit ... ohn_an.php

Pandemonium

#3 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:26 am

So Perry's dressing as Patrick Bateman?

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:57 pm

i kind of like the suit. no glitter and no shoulder pads. good look.

lollapaloser

#5 Post by lollapaloser » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Perry Ferrell :lol:

I like the Patrick Bateman reference. :thumb:

phenobarb_bambalam

#6 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:20 pm

creep wrote:i kind of like the suit. no glitter and no shoulder pads. good look.
No tail.

Same fucking set list.

pandarve666

#7 Post by pandarve666 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:42 am

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
creep wrote:i kind of like the suit. no glitter and no shoulder pads. good look.
No tail.

Same fucking set list.
Indeed. In the interview with Dave posted on this forum he says that Jane's is in need of a new album in order to be able to play new songs live to keep the spirits fresh.

And guess what: ETTL and IF and the rest is the same fucking setlist all over again.

kv

#8 Post by kv » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:38 pm

ah yeah....any shred of regret of missing them playing la medley is now gone

Pandemonium

#9 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:59 pm

kv wrote:

Perry's pants look like they're falling down.

tubro

#10 Post by tubro » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:31 am

Pandemonium wrote:
kv wrote:

Perry's pants look like they're falling down.
Saw X play Nausea at Irving Plaza last week. That was magic. I'd love to see JA do LA Medley but is this clip suggesting that they only played this tiny short version of it? that's a drag. Perry's voice sounded shot or like he was just shouting out the monster punk rock. either way, although on the clip it didn't sound too good, i think it would have been great live. but not at 45 seconds.

night 2 had the mighty trilogy of then she did, three days and ted. that's always nice and i've been missing then she did in the recent shows, but still, no real setlist changes. this is a drag.
nyc next. can't decide. they should play 1% for the occupy wall street crowd, which uses the slogan that they're the 99%. or they should play pigs in zen, sympathy, kettle whistle and no one's leaving. for me.

but they'll probably do none of the above. dave says new shows with new material will let them explore new music. that sounds great to me. and if they want to save the new songs until the record is out, that's their prerogative. but they are still missing a great opportunity in these club shows to play cool setlists.