Re: Mar 3 - Portland, ME at State Theatre

#2 Post by Leto » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:28 pm

Very cool place to play a gig.

More photos from the show here.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... e891dadaa4

Artemis

#3 Post by Artemis » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:33 am

Don't know if this is the official set list..

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/janes-add ... ee40d.html

Welcome to the Machine
Underground
Mountain Song
Just Because
Been Caught Stealing
Ain't No Right
Ted, Just Admit It...
Broken People
Classic Girl
Jane Says
Chip Away
Irresistible Force
Three Days
Stop!
Encore:
Words Right Out of My Mouth
Ocean Size

Warped

#4 Post by Warped » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:51 am

:lol: Wow, a lot of oldies in the audience and the chick Dave is playing to.... :eyes: but the venue looks great.

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:10 am

Warped wrote::lol: Wow, a lot of oldies in the audience and the chick Dave is playing to....
:lol:

hopefully nobody slipped in that pool.

creep
Site Admin

#6 Post by creep » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:15 am

that is pretty cool that the audience is right up against the stage. looks like an awesome venue.

bman

#7 Post by bman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:52 am

I was really excited for this show and it was fun. I was pretty depressed though afterwords! Mainly b/c we are all getting old. I just turned 38 and feel that my youth and Janes (which have always been connected) is slipping away! Perry seemed tired. He needs to buzz his hair and lose the scarves! The venue was a typical theater. The entire show was GA. It was very easy to get up front. Opening act....I don't get it. We have that band in the US already. They're called The Black Keys! Janes comes on and opens with Underground. (I don't know if Perry sang any words in this one! Could have been lip synced. Not sure. Mountain, Just Because, and Been Caught stealing. I hate these songs. There's no mystique to these songs anymore. The 1st highlight for me was Broken People. I love that song and it sounded great. The next highlight was Irrestible Force. It kind of had a nice long intro and was great. Three Days was awesome and evryone was dancing around. That song is such a fucking classic and it will never get old. Words and Ocean were great too. ..So for me, Broken, Words, Force, Three Days, and Ocean were all awesome. The others were ok. Overall a good show. I've seen better Janes and worse Janes. Where was this big theatrical show? I really didn't see it! Etty, for all the hate she gets, is actually a very good performer. She's good at what she does. She was miked up for a couple of songs and I could actually hear her faintly. She gives it her all though. Perry seemed less into it than Etty and Dave tonight! Dave was doing his rock star stuff and seemed into the show a bit. There was much more interplay between Dave and Perry back in October. I guess overall I was slighly let down because the set needs changes. They dropped Whores! That's the best live song. Drop Mountain or BCS or Just BC. If those 3 were replaced with Had a Dad, Whores and even Hit you Back the show would be better. I was also kinda drunk and started yelling Patriots Suck, Go Jets at one point! I hope Perry brings the mood a little more tonight in NY. Time to drive six hours fellas!

Look for me up front.

creep
Site Admin

#8 Post by creep » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:34 am

bman wrote:I was really excited for this show and it was fun. I was pretty depressed though afterwords! Mainly b/c we are all getting old. I just turned 38 and feel that my youth and Janes (which have always been connected) is slipping away! Perry seemed tired. He needs to buzz his hair and lose the scarves! The venue was a typical theater. The entire show was GA. It was very easy to get up front. Opening act....I don't get it. We have that band in the US already. They're called The Black Keys! Janes comes on and opens with Underground. (I don't know if Perry sang any words in this one! Could have been lip synced. Not sure. Mountain, Just Because, and Been Caught stealing. I hate these songs. There's no mystique to these songs anymore. The 1st highlight for me was Broken People. I love that song and it sounded great. The next highlight was Irrestible Force. It kind of had a nice long intro and was great. Three Days was awesome and evryone was dancing around. That song is such a fucking classic and it will never get old. Words and Ocean were great too. ..So for me, Broken, Words, Force, Three Days, and Ocean were all awesome. The others were ok. Overall a good show. I've seen better Janes and worse Janes. Where was this big theatrical show? I really didn't see it! Etty, for all the hate she gets, is actually a very good performer. She's good at what she does. She was miked up for a couple of songs and I could actually hear her faintly. She gives it her all though. Perry seemed less into it than Etty and Dave tonight! Dave was doing his rock star stuff and seemed into the show a bit. There was much more interplay between Dave and Perry back in October. I guess overall I was slighly let down because the set needs changes. They dropped Whores! That's the best live song. Drop Mountain or BCS or Just BC. If those 3 were replaced with Had a Dad, Whores and even Hit you Back the show would be better. I was also kinda drunk and started yelling Patriots Suck, Go Jets at one point! I hope Perry brings the mood a little more tonight in NY. Time to drive six hours fellas!

Look for me up front.
wow...even bman had the same reaction as pretty much everyone else. to sum up everyone's reviews.... it was ok.

Pandemonium

#9 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:23 am

creep wrote:Image
The expressions on the three people around the lady (and her as well) Dave is playing to is priceless. You know exactly what everyone is thinking.

sonny

#10 Post by sonny » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:00 pm

bman wrote:I was really excited for this show and it was fun. I was pretty depressed though afterwords! Mainly b/c we are all getting old. I just turned 38 and feel that my youth and Janes (which have always been connected) is slipping away! Perry seemed tired. He needs to buzz his hair and lose the scarves! The venue was a typical theater. The entire show was GA. It was very easy to get up front. Opening act....I don't get it. We have that band in the US already. They're called The Black Keys! Janes comes on and opens with Underground. (I don't know if Perry sang any words in this one! Could have been lip synced. Not sure. Mountain, Just Because, and Been Caught stealing. I hate these songs. There's no mystique to these songs anymore. The 1st highlight for me was Broken People. I love that song and it sounded great. The next highlight was Irrestible Force. It kind of had a nice long intro and was great. Three Days was awesome and evryone was dancing around. That song is such a fucking classic and it will never get old. Words and Ocean were great too. ..So for me, Broken, Words, Force, Three Days, and Ocean were all awesome. The others were ok. Overall a good show. I've seen better Janes and worse Janes. Where was this big theatrical show? I really didn't see it! Etty, for all the hate she gets, is actually a very good performer. She's good at what she does. She was miked up for a couple of songs and I could actually hear her faintly. She gives it her all though. Perry seemed less into it than Etty and Dave tonight! Dave was doing his rock star stuff and seemed into the show a bit. There was much more interplay between Dave and Perry back in October. I guess overall I was slighly let down because the set needs changes. They dropped Whores! That's the best live song. Drop Mountain or BCS or Just BC. If those 3 were replaced with Had a Dad, Whores and even Hit you Back the show would be better. I was also kinda drunk and started yelling Patriots Suck, Go Jets at one point! I hope Perry brings the mood a little more tonight in NY. Time to drive six hours fellas!

Look for me up front.

a theater tour should be amazing. i'm surprised people aren't blown away. being that close to jane's addiction and hearing those great songs, should be exciting.

Artemis

#11 Post by Artemis » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:27 pm

the performances thus far have not exceeded expectations. i mean, they've been competent but haven't gone above and beyond to create that "wow" moment.

the show i was at seemed to lack enthusiasm and passion. maybe that's the missing ingredient. :noclue:

sonny

#12 Post by sonny » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:04 pm

Artemis wrote:the performances thus far have not exceeded expectations. i mean, they've been competent but haven't gone above and beyond to create that "wow" moment.

the show i was at seemed to lack enthusiasm and passion. maybe that's the missing ingredient. :noclue:
i can see that. perry's voice probably can't take a beating like it did once. i think dave has been sorta phoning it in for the last few months.

i'll restate, i don't think they are making a dime on this tour and although that shouldn't always be a motivation, i think it is the primary motivation these days.

some people on twitter still seem pretty psyched about the shows before they go, so there is still a draw for the name jane's addiction. the band should be slaying folks with their live show.

it won't be over until the fat lady sings, and the fat lady in my opinion is mike. when mike gives a middle of the road review, then it's really over.

bman

#13 Post by bman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Even my girl said its hard to be enthusiastic about the same old Same old sets. Etty and perk enjoy themselves though! Perry had get little pasion last nite.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#14 Post by Hokahey » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:40 pm

A better crowd would have enhanced the show for me greatly. All these senior citizens are shitting up the tour.

kv

#15 Post by kv » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:15 pm

what do you expect? their core fan base is 40+

Pandemonium

#16 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:06 pm

sonny wrote:a theater tour should be amazing. i'm surprised people aren't blown away. being that close to jane's addiction and hearing those great songs, should be exciting.
Maybe I'm jaded living near LA and having seen them almost exclusively in tiny clubs and small venues since day one, but there's a lot more to it than just the "thrill" of seeing a name band in a small place up close and personal. The audience can pick up on the energy and vibe a band is putting out even moreso in a small place and if the band can't connect with it's audience or is having an off night for whatever reason, it won't matter if there's 500 or 50,000 people, it's gonna fall flat. My experience has been the excitement of seeing someone in a club who you'd normally see in much larger surroundings wears off a few songs into the set and the band either brings it and keeps the energy going or it becomes a real uncomfortable experience for all involved.

Artemis

#17 Post by Artemis » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:21 pm

hokahey wrote:A better crowd would have enhanced the show for me greatly. All these senior citizens are shitting up the tour.
:lol: i found the seniors more into the show than the younger people in the crowd. prolly because they don't get out as often as they used to. so attending a concert with by a fave band from their younger years is a real treat.

CaseyContrarian

#18 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:03 pm

I grew up in Portland (late teens), and I'm now 37. I'd definitely be there if I were still in the area, if just for nostalgia's sake. First time I saw Jane's (original) was in Boston. I sad aught the second leg of the Ritual tour in Portland at the Cumberland County Cvic Center (surely named something else now). Nostalgia is a cruel bitch mistress!

Leto

#19 Post by Leto » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:08 pm

kv wrote:what do you expect? their core fan base is 40+
I read this and I first thought you meant 40 people maybe a few more not the ages of the fans. :lol:

sonny

#20 Post by sonny » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:16 pm

hokahey wrote:A better crowd would have enhanced the show for me greatly. All these senior citizens are shitting up the tour.
i really think that's a weak excuse. i've seen it used before, but the "crowd" paid to see the band. they want to be entertained. if they aren't it's likely the bands fault.

i wouldn't say it's always true, but i hate when bands blame the crowd. these aren't crowds who got free tickets to see you and are labored to go. they paid good money and are generally excited to see you live. if they aren't moved, it's the bands fault.

CaseyContrarian

#21 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:47 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:I grew up in Portland (late teens), and I'm now 37. I'd definitely be there if I were still in the area, if just for nostalgia's sake. First time I saw Jane's (original) was in Boston. I sad aught the second leg of the Ritual tour in Portland at the Cumberland County Cvic Center (surely named something else now). Nostalgia is a cruel bitch mistress!
"Sad aught." fucking iPad. I meant to say "I saw." No idea why it autocorrected that way, but yes, it was "sad aughts" for JA.

Leto

#22 Post by Leto » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:28 am

Opening band blues.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#24 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:26 am

Leto wrote:Opening band blues.

I saw those guys pull up to the venue in a crappy van in St. Louis with the singer driving. :lol:

I guess they got to come along if they were willing to make their own way.