3/6/12 Montclair NJ

Tour dates, set lists, show reviews
LJF

3/6/12 Montclair NJ

#1 Post by LJF » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:04 pm

Is there anyone else going to this show tomorrow night? I'm just trying to figure out what time I'm going to get there.

Leto

Re: 3/6/12 Montclair NJ

#2 Post by Leto » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:25 pm

LJF wrote:Is there anyone else going to this show tomorrow night? I'm just trying to figure out what time I'm going to get there.
I'm not going but from what I remember, Montclair on a Tuesday night is a pretty sleepy little town so you might want to arrive for the time it states on their site. Take that for what it is. Should be a great time.

Watch out for the cops, extremely white, cranky, and prejudice.

zendo

#3 Post by zendo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:45 pm

LJF wrote:Is there anyone else going to this show tomorrow night? I'm just trying to figure out what time I'm going to get there.
Im going. You know anyone else on the board,.. Bman? What about you Zdilla?

tubro

#4 Post by tubro » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:39 pm

i'll be there.
the venue is pretty laid back. montclair cops definitely surround the area but they mostly stand around and direct you away from parking where you might block entry to starbucks for the locals. nobody but complete knuckleheads are likely to get hassled by them in my experience.

i got in for flaming lips after the first band was on last year and still got a front row balcony seat. when i've had ga floor tix, its always seemed easy to get very near the front if youre there even a little easy. i have balcony seats for this show and i'd love to be first row again so i may get on line just before the doors open at 730. i'll bring a book and read until the show starts.

bman

#5 Post by bman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:07 am

Doors open at 7:30, 8:30 first band, 9:30 Janes. I think I'm driving in around 6:30. Looks like a lot a of bars and restaurants are right there. I'll probably go in the venue at 8:30 have a shot and go up front. Look for me! Anyone know of a good bar right around there?

LJF

#6 Post by LJF » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:39 am

No need to get there early for me. Gives me time to eat some dinner, say good night to kids and get to the show. Night out for the wife and me always a good thing.

bman

#7 Post by bman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:22 pm

Just got home. Show started later than usual. Janes came on at 10:00 and played till 11:30. The last train back to NYC was 11:29! My lady and I had to hop into a cab outside and pay $75 to get back to the city. I don't want to sound like a broken record...but well fuckin worth it! Started off a little slow. Kind of a lame crowd up front for the first few songs. They had the barricades between the stage and crowd and then Perry jumped in and started getting the crowd going. He then said he's never playing Jersey again with barricades! A song or 2 later the security removed the barricade and the show got great!

Underground
Mnt
Just BC
BCS
Aint No Right
Ted
Broken People
Classic Girl
Jane Says
Chip Away
End To the Lies (I much prefer Irrestible Force Here)
Three Days
Stop
Words
Ocean

This was the first time I was more on Chaneys side. So I wasn't paying too much attention to Dave. But Perry was in great spirits and as always had the crowd going. What more I can, at this point everytime I see Janes it's just a fucking incredible exhilerating release. They are pros, and when in good spirits they always destroy the crowd.

Great Nite! I hope other here liked it too.

PS..This venue has no coat check! Had to carry my peacoat all night!

LJF

#8 Post by LJF » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:20 am

Bman I have to disagree I thought the first 3/4 of the show sucked. Which I've never said before at a JA show. I was standing in the back of the floor. The crowd was lame, there was no energy and Perry's vocals were washed out. It seemed like four guys just going thru the motions. Dave looked like he could give a shit to be there. From Chip Away on the show got better, the band and crowd had more energy. I don't know if it was the band or the crowd fault but most of the show was flat. I may have just hit me that these guys are just old and clearly not the same. I know no shit, but it just finally hit me. I've always thought they gave it all live, but last night I felt I was at a seniors show.

Warped

#9 Post by Warped » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:55 am

:sad:

bman

#10 Post by bman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:41 am

Dave always looks like he couldnt give a shit! He wasn't even hitting on chicks! Jersey chicks are ok! I agree that 1/2 the songs Perrys Mic was too low. But I thought from anr on it was a very good show.

crater

#11 Post by crater » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:12 am

bman wrote:I don't want to sound like a broken record...
:lolol:

Warped

#12 Post by Warped » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:13 am

So Dave still wears the "Addict Key" :lol:

bman

#13 Post by bman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:36 am

You couldn't really hear Perrys voice during Broken People. And he was drowned out by the crowd on Jane Says. I was pretty much one row back from the stage on chaneys side. It was pretty cool being that close for the acoustic bit. My three shows ranked from Huntington an A+, Montclair a B+/A- and Portland a B-. :bigrin:

LJF

#14 Post by LJF » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:54 am

My biggest issue was that it just seemed like a rehearsed show. Every other JA show to me seemed unique and that that exact show wouldn't happen again tomorrow or have been the same the night before. It was like they put these 4 guys on the stage and said do this then do that. To me no matter what version on JA was playing they were into it and I always felt their energy, but last night's show did't for the most part. The last 4 songs or so picked up, but overall to me they were just up there going thru the motions.

Japhy

#15 Post by Japhy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:23 am

[quote="LJF"]My biggest issue was that it just seemed like a rehearsed show. Every other JA show to me seemed unique and that that exact show wouldn't happen again tomorrow or have been the same the night before.[quote]

That's disappointing to hear as that's the exact element of the live show that I'm craving for... I want to leave the gig knowing that that show was "my show". People going the next night might well get 2 songs that i wanted to hear but they missed out on a couple that I got. That's the thing that makes me decide to hit 2-3 shows per tour... if every night is essentially the same, it's less appealing no matter how tight the band is.

I'm with most people in that the opener should be Beach / Whores... but if it was that every night of the tour and then, woah, my show just randomly got Kettle Whistle or Chip Away... BOOM... a show to remember, if only for the variation.

LJF

#16 Post by LJF » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:02 am

Japhy wrote:
LJF wrote:My biggest issue was that it just seemed like a rehearsed show. Every other JA show to me seemed unique and that that exact show wouldn't happen again tomorrow or have been the same the night before.

That's disappointing to hear as that's the exact element of the live show that I'm craving for... I want to leave the gig knowing that that show was "my show". People going the next night might well get 2 songs that i wanted to hear but they missed out on a couple that I got. That's the thing that makes me decide to hit 2-3 shows per tour... if every night is essentially the same, it's less appealing no matter how tight the band is.

I'm with most people in that the opener should be Beach / Whores... but if it was that every night of the tour and then, woah, my show just randomly got Kettle Whistle or Chip Away... BOOM... a show to remember, if only for the variation.

It could have a bad night for the band or just the crowd sucked, but to me most of the show was just going thru the motions. I don't even care if they play the same songs every night, I just want to feel like you said that this was "my show" and that the boys cared and put all they had into playing. For all the shit about this band I always felt they brought it to their live shows and last night they didn't. It happens I just hope this isn't the norm.

I'm a huge fan of them starting with beach there's just something about that song to get the show going. Also Ted is my favorite song and it just sucked last night. So that put me into a bad space.

bman

#17 Post by bman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:20 pm

I had a blast and thought they rocked..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vlpMMaOpsg

zdilla

#18 Post by zdilla » Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 pm

i was the youngest person in the venue! :lol:

zdilla

#19 Post by zdilla » Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 pm