Donald Trump running for President.

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
creep
Site Admin

Re: Donald Trump running for President.

#401 Post by creep » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:17 am

all i can do is hope for the best. i do think trump said some crazy things just to lock down the nutty far right vote. now elected hopefully he will be more reasonable.

i'm not going to panic like many ...but i was planning to sell my house in a few months but i am going to list it now just in case the economy takes a shit. :noclue:

guysmiley

#402 Post by guysmiley » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:18 am

Eric Avery
‏@ericavery

America, I defended you against cynics in the past. I can no longer. You have demonstrated all your ignorance, gullibility and stupidity.
:sui:

creep
Site Admin

#403 Post by creep » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:26 am

:lol: let's take a look at some of the things said on the first page of this thread. :nyrexall:
mockbee wrote:I hear donald duck is making a serious run as well,
Hype wrote:Good. He's not a serious candidate
creep wrote:good...maybe this will knock his ego down a bit when he gets no support.
Pandemonium wrote:Yay, we have this year's Sarah Palin officially in the race! Cement Hair has zero chance of getting the nomination or even participating in any debates.
kv wrote:first dude Bill...it's happening...there is no stopping it

guysmiley

#404 Post by guysmiley » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:29 am

Bandit72

#405 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:33 am

Canada immigration website crashes as Trump clinches victory
http://news.sky.com/story/canada-immigr ... y-10650893

chaos

#406 Post by chaos » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:52 am

Pandemonium

#407 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:53 am

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:Yay, we have this year's Sarah Palin officially in the race! Cement Hair has zero chance of getting the nomination or even participating in any debates.
This is going to haunt me the rest of my life.

At least Trump crushed the Bush and Clinton dynasties. But at what cost?

With a Republican-controlled House and Senate, the chance to pick a couple Supreme Court nominations and of course, President Trump, everything from abortion rights to the affordable care act are in serious jeopardy now.

Hype

#408 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:56 am

I still think that what I said was true at the time, but things took on a life of their own. There wasn't any reason to believe Trump was any more serious about running for president than someone like Herman Cain. :confused:

Bandit72

#409 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:56 am

What about climate change? Didn't he dismiss that as conspiracy?

guysmiley

#410 Post by guysmiley » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:03 am

Bandit72 wrote:What about climate change? Didn't he dismiss that as conspiracy?
Yeah, and he is usually the one perpetuating them. :crazy:

mockbee

#411 Post by mockbee » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:41 am

What was never really mentioned last night was the fact that Hillary Clinton is a woman. There are many reasons that Trump was able to pull this out, but I think that was a really big one. We've got a long ways to go.

Trump ran a masterful campaign, at the cost of putting all of our institutions integrity at risk. He pretty much single handedly won the presidency. He knew exactly was he was doing and he "Master Persuaded" the vast majority of Americans. He made some missteps along the way but always got back to "message"

I agree with creep that, he said a lot of things to rally support, dangerous things, and we can just only hope that we can wait out the next four years and he is just a benign leader and this just gets everybody to wake up and find better leaders. That's all we can do.

Reality is blown for a good portion of America and the western world today.

:noclue:

Mescal

#412 Post by Mescal » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:30 am

I just can't shake off the feeling that Trump never actually wanted to be President.

He's a narcist, so he enjoyed the feeling of proving everyone wrong, and proving himself right.

perkana

#413 Post by perkana » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:00 pm

I just feel sure that my sister and other relatives (a cousin's children are Mexican and Muslim) will be bullied even if they are American citizens. I've said this to hoka already but I don't feel safe either. I'm already discriminated for looking Mexican and arabic, so now with bigots out in the open, it is fucking scary.

farrellgirl99

#414 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:29 pm

ive been in a catatonic state all day. i guess living in the nyc liberal bubble is real....i never thought this would happen.

im scared for my bf who is black, im scared for my friends who are immigrants and muslim and lgbtq+. on a personal level, im scared for my health insurance and my reproductive rights.

what a fucking horrible day. we can only hope the next four years are not as awful as we think they will be.

nausearockpig

#415 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:44 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:ive been in a catatonic state all day. i guess living in the nyc liberal bubble is real....i never thought this would happen.

im scared for my bf who is black, im scared for my friends who are immigrants and muslim and lgbtq+. on a personal level, im scared for my health insurance and my reproductive rights.

what a fucking horrible day. we can only hope the next four years are not as awful as we think they will be.

Commiserations. Please accept our sympathy.... for real.

Though it MIGHT be a case where he just said crazy shit in a scattergun approach to appeal to more "market segments" than he normally would, just to get votes.... OR he may be blocked at the pass when trying to make changes or decisions, by clearer minds....... or he may come to realise, or be told, that he can't just fix shit, get "all our jobs back" like that (insert clicking finger sound).... Stuff takes time and money.........

Pandemonium

#416 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:28 pm

Well, protests are ramping up in several major cities including LA and NYC.

nausearockpig

#417 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:36 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Well, protests are ramping up in several major cities including LA and NYC.
Yeah but unless there's "something" that can be used to negate the election or get Mr. T out, what actual difference to the presidency will these protests make? I get that about 50% of people are pissed off, but had Hillary won, the other 50% woulda been pissed, and maybe taken to the streets with similar or worse types of protests... .

Warped

#418 Post by Warped » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:49 pm

Yesterday i buried my plans to visit the US.

Still in disbelief.

SR

#419 Post by SR » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:32 am

Not my president. Not ever

Pandemonium

#420 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:07 am

This just in: Lazy Millennials show up a day late to rally for Clinton in major cities.

It's really pathetic, protesting a finished election and destroying property and injuring people. I knew this was going to happen.

Stickyfingers

#421 Post by Stickyfingers » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:20 am

Romeo

#422 Post by Romeo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:12 am

Pandemonium wrote:This just in: Lazy Millennials show up a day late to rally for Clinton in major cities.

It's really pathetic, protesting a finished election and destroying property and injuring people. I knew this was going to happen.
BUT at least the people are taking it to the streets and showing their anger over a system that still will not count the popular vote. People should start protesting, and keep it going! :thumb:
(and Oakland was the only city with violence, all other cities including NYC was peaceful)

Hype

#423 Post by Hype » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:54 am

The overall popular vote is irrelevant in FPTP systems that have regions/ridings/electoral districts. It is obviously a weird situation for the "winner" to have fewer votes overall than the "loser", but it's not confusing how that can happen, and it's not obviously a flaw in the system.

In Canada, where there are multiple parties, and where the leader is just the head of the party that gets the most seats in the House, you can have a borderline/fringe party like the Greens get upwards of 7% of the vote with no representation in the House (or one seat, as is currently the case). There have been elections where a million people voted Green nationally but no Greens were elected. That's just what happens when each district is winner-take-all. All the votes that don't go to the winner aren't represented in the actual government.

Protesting that, and claiming it's undemocratic, because your candidate didn't win, is actually itself undemocratic, and probably indicates no understanding of the electoral system.

If you want to change the electoral system, tell your damn representatives, organize grass-roots efforts to support a more proportional system, or whatever. But protesting because Clinton didn't win is absurd. She didn't win. Making her the president when she didn't win would be literally a coup, not a democratic action.

Of course that doesn't mean people can't protest, nor that if enough of them do, that it should be ignored. It should be taken seriously. But that doesn't mean that it isn't based on confused ideas.

Pandemonium

#424 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:05 am

Romeo wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:This just in: Lazy Millennials show up a day late to rally for Clinton in major cities.

BUT at least the people are taking it to the streets and showing their anger over a system that still will not count the popular vote. People should start protesting, and keep it going! :thumb:
(and Oakland was the only city with violence, all other cities including NYC was peaceful)
Downtown LA last night was not good. Protesters started out peacefully, but as the night went on and numbers grew, people started vandalizing businesses as they made their way to the 101 freeway. There, they started throwing crap onto lanes in front of speeding traffic endangering motorists until they eventually blocked the entire freeway for most of the night.

This accomplishes nothing except further alienating the majority, many of whom have some level of sympathy towards their POV.

perkana

#425 Post by perkana » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:58 pm

Romeo wrote:

I support this 1000%