Tyre Nichols

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
thoreau

Tyre Nichols

#1 Post by thoreau » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:23 am

Hoka and I briefly chatted last night about this. Jesus, that video was gut wrenching and tear inducing.

kv

Re: Tyre Nichols

#2 Post by kv » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:38 pm

words fail

Hokahey
Site Admin

#3 Post by Hokahey » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:16 pm

Anyone that grew up poor, skated, looked weird, etc knows cops can be dicks and bullies. Not all. But man, there’s a lot. My father who was military always told me to be very afraid of them. That he knew a lot of them that were dangerous and I “looked like a trouble maker.” Even still, I’ve had a few mouthy encounters, enough that I’ve questioned if my race saved my life.

It’s all just so sad. Just a huge fucking stain on our country.

thoreau

#4 Post by thoreau » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:38 am

The fact that four of the five bailed out the following day too. Unreal.

Hype

#5 Post by Hype » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:49 am

I'm still upset and angry about Tamir Rice, Elijah McClain, and all the other blatant murders of black children by police (not to mention the lynching of Ahmaud Arbery, and all the other cases in recent years) It's insane to me that this is tolerated, persists, and nothing is done. This is way, way, worse than Rodney King. It's really fucking bad and every American should be ashamed and motivated to find political solutions to fix this permanently.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#6 Post by Hokahey » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:47 pm

Hype wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:49 am
I'm still upset and angry about Tamir Rice, Elijah McClain, and all the other blatant murders of black children by police (not to mention the lynching of Ahmaud Arbery, and all the other cases in recent years) It's insane to me that this is tolerated, persists, and nothing is done. This is way, way, worse than Rodney King. It's really fucking bad and every American should be ashamed and motivated to find political solutions to fix this permanently.
The difference is that these cops, like Chauvin, are being held accountable. It is progress. It has been too slow to come, and the problems obviously still exist, but it’s progress. And I believe we will continue to see progress. I think George Floyd was a turning point where a lot of well meaning but complacent white people started demanding the change black folks have been begging us to help with for a very long time.

If the offending officers were white, and had not been charged, the streets would be burning again.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#7 Post by Hokahey » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:47 pm

Another fucked up scenario I’ve been following:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex ... -rcna67337

But the officers were just charged. A few years ago they’re off Scott free.

SR

#8 Post by SR » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:37 am

They're looking into the possibility that there are ties between Tyre and one of the murderers ex wife

SR

#9 Post by SR » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:39 am

Hype wrote:
Equally alarming is our inability to address mass shootings. If Sandy Hook didn't do it, we are incapable. And it is insane.

Hype

#10 Post by Hype » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:07 am

SR wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:39 am
Hype wrote:
Equally alarming is our inability to address mass shootings. If Sandy Hook didn't do it, we are incapable. And it is insane.
I think the incapacity is willfully perpetrated by certain political and economic interests. It can be removed by a sufficiently powerful and motivated group. But it is pathetic and tragic that that hasn't happened yet, and may never happen.

SR

#11 Post by SR » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:46 am

Hype wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:07 am
SR wrote:
Hype wrote:
I think the incapacity is willfully perpetrated by certain political and economic interests. It can be removed by a sufficiently powerful and motivated group. But it is pathetic and tragic that that hasn't happened yet, and may never happen.
I hope I'm wrong. There are more guns than people here. So much needs to change, including the Electoral College. But it's really the more sociological that concerns me moving forward on gun issues rather than the political.

LongCovid

#12 Post by LongCovid » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:27 am

Seems like some diversity hires gone horribly wrong.

Best,

Long Covid

thoreau

#13 Post by thoreau » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:20 am

Hype wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:07 am
SR wrote:
Hype wrote:
I think the incapacity to address and solve is very politically/economically perpetrated too. What is the level of tragedy that would have to occur? I don't know that there is one with that ilk.