NYTimes: Some of Palin's Ideas Cross the Political Divide

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
ellis

NYTimes: Some of Palin's Ideas Cross the Political Divide

#1 Post by ellis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:26 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/10/us/10 ... ridharadas

That link might not go directly to the article but it will be listed on the authors profile page.
CAMBRIDGE, MASSACHUSETTS — Let us begin by confessing that, if Sarah Palin surfaced to say something intelligent and wise and fresh about the present American condition, many of us would fail to hear it.

That is not how we’re primed to see Ms. Palin. A pugnacious Tea Partyer? Sure. A woman of the people? Yup. A Mama Grizzly? You betcha.

But something curious happened when Ms. Palin strode onto the stage last weekend at a Tea Party event in Indianola, Iowa. Along with her familiar and predictable swipes at President Barack Obama and the “far left,” she delivered a devastating indictment of the entire U.S. political establishment — left, right and center — and pointed toward a way of transcending the presently unbridgeable political divide.

The next day, the “lamestream” media, as she calls it, played into her fantasy of it by ignoring the ideas she unfurled and dwelling almost entirely on the will-she-won’t-she question of her presidential ambitions.

So here is something I never thought I would write: a column about Sarah Palin’s ideas.
She made three interlocking points. First, that the United States is now governed by a “permanent political class,” drawn from both parties, that is increasingly cut off from the concerns of regular people. Second, that these Republicans and Democrats have allied with big business to mutual advantage to create what she called “corporate crony capitalism.” Third, that the real political divide in the United States may no longer be between friends and foes of Big Government, but between friends and foes of vast, remote, unaccountable institutions (both public and private).

In supporting her first point, about the permanent political class, she attacked both parties’ tendency to talk of spending cuts while spending more and more; to stoke public anxiety about a credit downgrade, but take a vacation anyway; to arrive in Washington of modest means and then somehow ride the gravy train to fabulous wealth. She observed that 7 of the 10 wealthiest counties in the United States happen to be suburbs of the nation’s capital.

Her second point, about money in politics, helped to explain the first. The permanent class stays in power because it positions itself between two deep troughs: the money spent by the government and the money spent by big companies to secure decisions from government that help them make more money.

“Do you want to know why nothing ever really gets done?” she said, referring to politicians. “It’s because there’s nothing in it for them. They’ve got a lot of mouths to feed — a lot of corporate lobbyists and a lot of special interests that are counting on them to keep the good times and the money rolling along.”

Because her party has agitated for the wholesale deregulation of money in politics and the unshackling of lobbyists, these will be heard in some quarters as sacrilegious words.

Ms. Palin’s third point was more striking still: in contrast to the sweeping paeans to capitalism and the free market delivered by the Republican presidential candidates whose ranks she has yet to join, she sought to make a distinction between good capitalists and bad ones. The good ones, in her telling, are those small businesses that take risks and sink and swim in the churning market; the bad ones are well-connected megacorporations that live off bailouts, dodge taxes and profit terrifically while creating no jobs.

Strangely, she was saying things that liberals might like, if not for Ms. Palin’s having said them.

I got mad as I read it... b/c I agree with almost all of it... it fell in line with the reasons why I hate the duopoly that is the Dem/Republican mega-machine... and I'm thinking... "I agree with everything you're saying!! FINALLY, someone is standing up.... but god damn it, why does it have to be YOU?"
:lol:

Jasper

Re: NYTimes: Some of Palin's Ideas Cross the Political Divid

#2 Post by Jasper » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:47 am

It's wasted coming from her. She's done and said too many stupid things, and embraces too many stupid ideas for her to ever be a serious messenger of any kind of important truth. It's one of those "even a broken clock is right twice a day" situations.

Pure Method

#3 Post by Pure Method » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:16 am

Mind-blowing. Trying to change her brand to appeal to a more moderate (and therefore, larger) base. :noclue:

I'm not pissed about it, but I see this as an attempt to salvage her political career. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:31 pm

This may have come out of her mouth, but it's not her words.

I'd be surprised if she even understood the ramifications of half of what she said. My guess is that she's in desperation mode trying to be relevant in a political landscape that has long since outgrown her and thus she had one of her writers come up with something "controversial." It's all hand-wringing "look at me" attention seeking at this point - she has to know it's almost inconceivable she'll never get elected for any sort of public office again, much less a run for the White House.

ellis

#5 Post by ellis » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:18 am

Everything she said is what the hardcore, pioneer libertarian Tea Party members have been saying since Zeus knows when. I'm not talking about the modern Tea Party. Talking about the OG's.

After discussing this article with a number of friends and family, I think she's just framing the campaign stance for the next election cycle. She clearly has a speech writer (duh). But she also has to agree with the speech and typically speech writers take your ideas and expand them and to articulate them to a wider audience than you're attempting to reach.

I was so down with what the Tea Party was about before they got popular. (that's the hipster in me, sorry). But when the mainstream Republicans got a hold of them, their policies didn't have shit to do with what they were talking about and now the group is worthless. The original Tea Party is still around but what you see on tv is the high-jacked version. It's like the real Republicans wanted to be hip and cool again and flocked to the Tea Party (or what they thought was the Tea Party but was really a Koch Bros production) just to feel like they weren't the losers that their party had become.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#6 Post by Hokahey » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:17 am

“Do you want to know why nothing ever really gets done?” she said, referring to politicians. “It’s because there’s nothing in it for them. They’ve got a lot of mouths to feed — a lot of corporate lobbyists and a lot of special interests that are counting on them to keep the good times and the money rolling along.”
All she's saying is what everyone is saying. But she fails to expound on any of it. Take the quote above. Blaming the lobbyists is easy. But they're legal. That won't change. There's not too many lobbyists in Washington per se, there's too much money in Washington.

If lobbyists are the flies then money is the crap. Take away the crap, no more flies.

That's what true libertarians are saying.