Video of the US Capitol Shooting. I.e., a murder.

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Larry B.

Video of the US Capitol Shooting. I.e., a murder.

#1 Post by Larry B. » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCLGnach_YQ (I had problems with the embedding in a different site.)

An unarmed woman who doesn't really seem to be trying to ram through the barriers... it looks like she was just turning around. But doesn't matter, does it? Better shoot her, just in case.

Also, if the police are the only ones firing weapons, is it actually a "shooting"?

I don't know if this is still part of the discussion yet, but let's play the game of "guess the deceased, unarmed woman's ethnicity."

Yup.

And that's a SUSPECT, for fucks sake. A suspect is shot and killed. Suspect of what?

Shit is fucked up. Unbelievable. I'll say it one more time: It sickens me that there are no riots.

creep
Site Admin

Re: Video of the US Capitol Shooting. I.e., a murder.

#2 Post by creep » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:25 pm

oh yeah..she did nothing wrong. :conf:

refusing to stop. running in to police cars while risking the life of her child. speeding down the road and injuring two policemen.

come on larry. try to be reasonable.

krakle

#3 Post by krakle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:55 pm

creep wrote:refusing to stop. running in to police cars while risking the life of her child. speeding down the road and injuring two policemen.
yes. but why didn't they shot the tires when they had the chance?

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:02 pm

krakle wrote:
creep wrote:refusing to stop. running in to police cars while risking the life of her child. speeding down the road and injuring two policemen.
she was in one of the most heavily policed areas in the world trying to get away refusing orders to stop. shooting the tires wouldn't have stopped her if it was some sort of terrorist attack.

krakle

#5 Post by krakle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:56 pm

creep wrote:
krakle wrote:
...trying to get away...
she was trying to get away. :noclue:

I think the shoot to kill method is overused and wrong. (though not in all cases...)

krakle

#6 Post by krakle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:01 pm

I also think Larry tends to overreact too often. :neutral:

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:14 pm

krakle wrote:
creep wrote:
krakle wrote:
...trying to get away...

I think the shoot to kill method is overused and wrong. (though not in all cases...)
maybe ...but the problem is where this happened. when you ram a barricade in front of the white house and then hit a secret service agent trying to get away you are going to get shot.

kv

#8 Post by kv » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:21 pm

krakle wrote:
because it wouldn't stop her and would it will just ricochet the bullet to god knows where

kv

#9 Post by kv » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:22 pm

creep wrote:
krakle wrote:
creep wrote:
krakle wrote:
...trying to get away...

maybe ...but the problem is where this happened. when you ram a barricade in front of the white house and then hit a secret service agent trying to get away you are going to get shot.
bingo...everytime

kv

#10 Post by kv » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:25 pm

btw larry brings up race and riots is pure comedy...this could have been a white guy would def have been same result

crater

#11 Post by crater » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:43 pm

krakle wrote:
Probably because it was real life and not some bad Arnold Schwarzenegger action movie?

Larry B.

#12 Post by Larry B. » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:51 pm

Well, the riot thing I mention has nothing to do with race. It's more about what it takes for somebody to get killed. She didn't "ram" those barriers, she basically crashed with them at like 6 mph. How in the fuck is that a threat?

What I mean is that people (innocent, drunk, thieves, criminals, etc.) should't be burden by the authorities' jumpyness. She was shot (well, her car was) even before the chase started. They shot her because she refused to stop! Imagine that! The police can KILL YOU if you don't stop when they tell you to. How on Earth is that reasonable? Or that they can zap you if you don't cooperate. "We're going to detain you because you're not cooperating" "I haven't done aything." "Alright, zap him."

And it's become so normal that it's a blind spot for many of you. Has crime decreased? Is your neighborhood a safer place now? The most likely answer is no. So why do you take it? Is it even worth it?

kv

#13 Post by kv » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:57 pm

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

creep
Site Admin

#14 Post by creep » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Larry B. wrote: She didn't "ram" those barriers, she basically crashed with them at like 6 mph. How in the fuck is that a threat?
:lol: yes. that is all she did
Near the White House

1. 2:12 p.m. A black Infiniti with Connecticut plates strikes a security post at the entrance to the White House at 15th and E streets NW. Witnesses said officers pull a metal barrier into the driver’s path, but the driver accelerates, knocking down the barricade and striking a uniformed Secret Service officer before hurtling east down Pennsylvania Avenue toward the Capitol with police in pursuit.

Near the U.S. Capitol

2 The car rams a Secret Service vehicle on the east side of Garfield Memorial, while at least five officers with guns drawn try to get the driver to stop.

The car backs up, nearly hitting several police and drives at high speed most of the way around Garfield Circle, then turns northbound onto First Street NW. Police open fire.

3 At Peace Circle, the car makes one full loop with a single police car following before continuing up First Street NW to Constitution Avenue.

4 At Constitution Avenue, the suspect makes a right turn and at a high speed heads east along the northern boundary of the Capitol grounds.

5 The chase ends at Constitution Avenue and Second Street NE where Capitol Police installed security barriers after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. Upon reaching this barrier, the suspect attempts to make a U-turn and crashes next to the guard house.

2:20 p.m. More shots are fired, striking the car and driver, who is killed. The woman driving the car was unarmed, law enforcement sources said. All the shots in the incident were fired by police trying to stop her.

Jasper

#15 Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:19 pm

While there's a problem with rights being infringed upon, I don't think race was a factor in the response by police. The driver was clearly a danger to herself and others. The hitting of the barrier wasn't when shit fell apart, it was when she wildly pulled away from there, and back out into traffic.
Larry B. wrote:Is your neighborhood a safer place now? The most likely answer is no. So why do you take it? Is it even worth it?
I don't know why people are so blase about their rights being infringed upon as far as privacy and such, and I think that having a militarized police force in some places is a worrisome trend, but despite the publicity that goes along with anomalies like school shootings, violent crime is way down.

Despite your perceptions, a huge chunk of the violent crime that remains (over half) is black-on-black and black-on-other (white, hispanic, Asian), despite blacks being outnumbered by about 9 to 1:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr
You bring up race, and I don't think it was warranted, but if you want to bring it up, and then make broad (and incorrect) statements about violent crime, you'll have to grapple with uncomfortable facts. I'm certainly not saying that the driver's actions had anything to do with her being black, but since you've suggested an opposite scenario, I think it could be helpful to orient you so that your perceptions aren't based merely on presumptions.
Last edited by Jasper on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creep
Site Admin

#16 Post by creep » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Jasper wrote:While there's a problem with rights being infringed upon
in this specific incident? if so how?

Jasper

#17 Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:30 pm

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:While there's a problem with rights being infringed upon
in this specific incident? if so how?
It's many different things. The bill of rights has been repeatedly trampled, and is constantly under attack, and the spying apparatus is absurdly out of control, not to mention how our elected and unelected officials are beholden not to our own interests, but to their interests, those of corporations, and interests of such forces as the Israel lobby.

wally

#18 Post by wally » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:09 am

krakle wrote:
because that's fucking stupid. this is not a movie.
cops shoot to disable the threat.

krakle

#19 Post by krakle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:31 am

wally wrote:
krakle wrote:
because that's fucking stupid. this is not a movie.
cops shoot to disable the threat.
is it stupid? the car was standing still after it tried to escape, aren't there ways to disable this (yet unidentified) threat other than to kill?

this happened in Amsterdam yesterday: http://nos.nl/artikel/559991
an armed suspect was shot in his hand & leg by the police. terrific job I think. google translate says this:
Police in Amsterdam, a 33-year-old man shot after a report of domestic violence. The man was hit in the hand and leg and taken to a hospital. According to police, the man was armed. The police received a report late Monday that the man threatened his family. The family had fled from home and the man drove away in a car. He was possibly armed, said family members. Police officers found the car in the vicinity of the house and saw the suspect off with a rifle in his hands. Shortly afterwards, the police shot at the suspect. It is not known whether the suspect also shot himself, or that he has threatened with his gun the police. The police are there any announcements about as long as the national department is investigating the shooting incident.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#20 Post by Hokahey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:08 am

The tragedy here is that yet another person that needed better mental health assistance is now dead and was seemingly attempting/willing to hurt others.

We live in a bully culture (see the NYC Biker incident, Columbine etc) where the bully is the offender or provokes it, and a society without proper mental health care/evaluation/treatment etc.

And in a little religious fanaticism and you've got the global culture with countries often acting as the bullys.

I am encouraged at least by how the bullying issue has been approached head on by schools in recent years.

My won was taught what bullying is in pre-school, why it's wrong and to report it if experienced or witnessed and that now continues on.

creep
Site Admin

#21 Post by creep » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:31 am

hokahey wrote:The tragedy here is that yet another person that needed better mental health assistance is now dead and was seemingly attempting/willing to hurt others.

We live in a bully culture (see the NYC Biker incident, Columbine etc) where the bully is the offender or provokes it, and a society without proper mental health care/evaluation/treatment etc.
wasn't she being treated for her illness and she stopped taking her medication? can't fault anyone but her for that.

Jasper

#22 Post by Jasper » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:56 pm

creep wrote:
hokahey wrote:The tragedy here is that yet another person that needed better mental health assistance is now dead and was seemingly attempting/willing to hurt others.

wasn't she being treated for her illness and she stopped taking her medication? can't fault anyone but her for that.
A lot of sick people quit their medications due to the side effects, creep. Maybe if you threw on your lab coat and got busy with the beaker tubes (instead of refinishing your walk-in closet) we wouldn't be having this problem.

You've wasted your gifts. :no:

creep
Site Admin

#23 Post by creep » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:08 pm

Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:

A lot of sick people quit their medications due to the side effects, creep. Maybe if you threw on your lab coat and got busy with the beaker tubes (instead of refinishing your walk-in closet) we wouldn't be having this problem.

You've wasted your gifts. :no:
so i guess the alternative of what she did is better than the side effects? i watch homeland and that makes me qualified to comment on the dangers of going off your meds.

and...most walk in closets are larger than the place i'm living now.

Jasper

#24 Post by Jasper » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:14 pm