Why don't Americans protest more?

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Artemis

Why don't Americans protest more?

#1 Post by Artemis » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:38 pm

It seems that mass demonstrations and protests in America are not in vogue these days. How come?
There's much to protest about too- high cost of living, economy, jobs, debt, etc.
Maybe I'm thinking about this because of what's been going on around the world for the last 6 months. Like last weekend 250,000 people in Tel Aviv gathered to protest rising living costs.

creep
Site Admin

Re: Why don't Americans protest more?

#2 Post by creep » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:59 pm

i'm not sure what i would be protesting. the only thing that i can see worth protesting is the "war" we are in. :noclue:

ant

#3 Post by ant » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm pretty angry about a lot of stuff here but I'm not protesting anything. I don't think it would make much difference at this point though I'd like to think I'd get out there if things got really crazy.

I think a lot people don't really care about anyone other than themselves here. In my opinion Americans have become more narcissistic in the last decade. That probably has something to do with it too. I also don't see any great leaders emerging in the US either to really inspire some serious counter government movement.

I'm not optimistic about the future of my country.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:26 am

Because we're fat, distracted, and happy with never actually getting anywhere or accomplishing anything so long as we have a bag of potato chips and a flat screen.

kv

#5 Post by kv » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:27 am

and the police will beat our ass

ant

#6 Post by ant » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:30 pm

hokahey wrote:Because we're fat, distracted, and happy with never actually getting anywhere or accomplishing anything so long as we have a bag of potato chips and a flat screen.
:nod:

We are a nation of babies. Feed us, give us something shiny to play and we'll be content while the country is destroyed. As long as we have what we need we don't give a shit about anything or anyone else.

Juana

#7 Post by Juana » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:39 pm

ant wrote:
hokahey wrote:Because we're fat, distracted, and happy with never actually getting anywhere or accomplishing anything so long as we have a bag of potato chips and a flat screen.
:nod:

We are a nation of babies. Feed us, give us something shiny to play and we'll be content while the country is destroyed. As long as we have what we need we don't give a shit about anything or anyone else.
But that is how a lot of people here are raised so any of us being surprised shouldn't be. We're a nation that values materialism above a lot of other things, just look at the popular TV shows and the things people spend their money on.

I agree with what Ant is saying.

I also think that the people that will stand up are such few and far between are afraid to do so because they'll more than likely be ignored or shunned.

Bandit72

#8 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:07 am

I also think that the people that will stand up are such few and far between are afraid to do so because they'll more than likely be ignored or shunned.
This is exactly right.

How many people does it take to make a change or start a revolution? As Ozzy rightly said "I don't know".

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:05 am

True leaders gone...

sinep

#10 Post by sinep » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:23 am

really?

i think there are a lot of people out there protesting.

i'd be hard pressed to think of an era other than the late 60's early 70's that i'd associate with protests as much as this decade.

Essence_Smith

#11 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:46 am

I have been to dozens of protests...everything from human rights type issues to the city university tuition hike protests in the 90's...I have never seen any of the actually "work"...I've been tear gassed and chased by police, watched my friends get beat up and arrested and it doesn't really accomplish anything imo aside from making people feel like they took a stand...and imo people aren't really protesting for the right reasons when they do choose to these days...look at the fiasco involving the alleged "mosque" they're planning to build down near the WTC area in NYC...silly shit while they're cutting education budget and building jails like they're Starbucks... :bs: