People and their toddlers and below

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Juana

People and their toddlers and below

#1 Post by Juana » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:20 pm

I started a new thread so we do not end up killing the batman murder thread with a debate
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Juana wrote:
Romeo wrote:the guy was a 24 year old University of Colorado PhD student(in Neuroscience) who withdrew from school a month ago.

I agree about the 4 month old at the theater (thankfully the baby was unharmed). WHO THE FUCK BRING AN INFANT TO A MIDNIGHT MOVIE??? Asshole parents...
Irresponsible parents. I see people with their kids out late a lot and I wonder why. When I was young we were never out past like 9 or 10 and that was a special occasion. Guess people do not realize in some circumstances that you know its okay to put your children first and you know have to wait to see something, do something, buy something.
It's a class thing, an education thing, a culture thing, an intelligence thing... and so on. It's another one of those things that's always been the case, but you don't necessarily notice it until you're older because your world is so much wider (you know the worlds of the ages younger than you) the older you get.
All I'm trying to say is its pretty irresponsible to have a toddler out with you at 1AM, I'm sure its happened for ages. For example in Honduras I RARELY saw it. In Colombia I RARELY saw it. Japan, Korea, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand... I rarely saw people out with their toddlers and below. In many of the other countries I have been to and lived in I RARELY saw it.

But these days I see it pretty much every day and not just 1 or 2 people, try to go to the 24 hour grocery here (HEB) and you see families in there shopping at 3 in the AM and things like that.

I just do not get why its so prevalent here, but yet in other countries I rarely saw it.

Hype

Re: People and their toddlers and below

#2 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Culture's different. :nod:

Juana

#3 Post by Juana » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Yeah but maybe the culture needs a factory reset. I mean for example its sad that I have to go to a movie at 11AM to AVOID people bringing their kids to see violent movies and stuff like that. I also wonder if the parents think about the things that could happen having a kid out that late. A lot of bad shit can happen to people that late. Sure bad things can happen any time but in my experience when the bars close is when the real trouble can start.

Hype

#4 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Easier said than done. Best not to worry about it. Lead by example... be the change... and so on... :noclue:

Juana

#5 Post by Juana » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:58 pm

LOL time to adopt a kid so that I can make him or her go to bed by 10 every night! :lolol:

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:10 pm

My bedtime was always (roughly) my age, until I hit 10 or 11 or so, and then it was usually 11-12ish (or rather, I didn't have a "bedtime" after that, because homework often went much later than that, though of course parents will still say "Go to bed!") :confused:

Artemis

#7 Post by Artemis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:11 pm

When I was a toddler my parents would take me out with them if they were over as guests to someone home. My parents would never hire a babysitter, not because they were cheap or anything, but in their culture it is acceptable to bring your children with you when you are invited to someone's home or restaurants, etc. My parents never did things like going to midnight movies,bars and and concerts, so this type of thing wouldn't have ever happened;however, staying up past midnight was okay.

What I find annoying is when people think their very young children should experience "culture" such as theatre. I mention this because I used to work in a hotel,booking theatre tickets and room packages. People would want to bring their 3 and 4 year olds to Phantom of the Opera or whatever else was showing. Even when they were told they had to pay the full adult price of a ticket they were not deterred from bringing their kids. I would mention that the show wasn't suitable for such a young child and inform them that they might be asked to leave if they are disturbing other patrons. Many parents wouldn't accept that a 3 year old does not get the concept of theatre and how to behave in the theatre. I mean, they're kids, they're going to shout out, talk through the show, cry, etc. The best story is when I got into a bit of an argument with a guest over Miss Saigon. The guy, an American,and his family(wife and 7 year old) were guests in the hotel and wanted tix to the show. So, while I'm preparing his order he asks if there are disocunts for children. I say no, and tell him that the show is not recommended for children under 12(per the promoter) because of course language and some content. The guy says that's okay he'll pay the full price because, " I want my child to see this because I think Vietnam is an important part of our history." Well, I could hardly contain myself. I said, " You actually believe this musical is an accurate portrayal of the Vietnam war?? Are you a vet??" The guy remained calm and explained that he was seeing the show based on the recommendation from friends who thought the show was realistic. After that comment I just shut my mouth and carried on with the order. :lol:

chaos

#8 Post by chaos » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Artemis wrote:" You actually believe this musical is an accurate portrayal of the Vietnam war?? Are you a vet??" The guy remained calm and explained that he was seeing the show based on the recommendation from friends who thought the show was realistic. After that comment I just shut my mouth and carried on with the order. :lol:
:lol:

perkana

#9 Post by perkana » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:31 am

I agree with Juana, theaters were more strict when I was a kid (though I remember my parents taking me to see A New Hope as a one year old). What I find very alarming, besides this, is people driving with babies or little kids on their laps (either the driver or the pilot or whatever you call the next seat). I think more than a cultural thing, people are just plain stupid

mockbee

#10 Post by mockbee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:38 pm

perkana wrote:What I find very alarming, besides this, is people driving with babies or little kids on their laps (either the driver or the pilot or whatever you call the next seat). I think more than a cultural thing, people are just plain stupid
BINGO!

They are and always have been!

In Mongolia, I witnessed a mother driving an old VW Rabbit, PACKED with other mothers and a ton of children and babies, maybe 10 people in the single car. They were driving to a picnic spot up a river, right by us walking, and the river was REALLY high, up against a cliff almost, maybe 4 feet to spare. This woman drives with all people jammed in the car halfway in the water and half on land. The river gets REALLY deep quite quickly, maybe 7 or 8 feet deep, that they are driving parallel to, the river going over the entire one side of the car, sloshing up to the window on that side. I wouldn't have been surprised if the entire car lost its traction and overturned and sank......... I really, really, really did not want that to happen, not because I was going to save them, because I would have died in the process jumping into a swirling river, but I would have to live with witnessing so many deaths and just stand there..............luckily they made it and I just stood there with my mouth agape. :no:

Juana

#11 Post by Juana » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Yeah maybe its just stupidity that piss me off.

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:41 pm

Juana wrote:Yeah maybe its just stupidity that piss me off.
Heh, you kinda bookended your own thread.

Romeo

#13 Post by Romeo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:17 pm

perkana wrote:I agree with Juana, theaters were more strict when I was a kid (though I remember my parents taking me to see A New Hope as a one year old). What I find very alarming, besides this, is people driving with babies or little kids on their laps (either the driver or the pilot or whatever you call the next seat). I think more than a cultural thing, people are just plain stupid
i remember when I was 14 my SISTER who was 11 years older wanted to take me to see Kentucky Fried Movie. Because we couldn't prove she was my sister (besides the fact we looked exactly alike) they would not let her buy tickets

Theaters were much stricter in the day. I believe now for the comfort or others (not having to hear a screaming child) they should not allow babies/toddlers in after 8pm.

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Romeo wrote:
perkana wrote:I agree with Juana, theaters were more strict when I was a kid (though I remember my parents taking me to see A New Hope as a one year old). What I find very alarming, besides this, is people driving with babies or little kids on their laps (either the driver or the pilot or whatever you call the next seat). I think more than a cultural thing, people are just plain stupid
i remember when I was 14 my SISTER who was 11 years older wanted to take me to see Kentucky Fried Movie. Because we couldn't prove she was my sister (besides the fact we looked exactly alike) they would not let her buy tickets

Theaters were much stricter in the day. I believe now for the comfort or others (not having to hear a screaming child) they should not allow babies/toddlers in after 8pm.
When I was in Junior High School growing up in Tustin, CA, there was a small independent movie theater locally that showed double and triple bills on weekends usually of crappy horror and exploitation flicks. There'd be like 15 - 20 of us kids there to see flicks like Grizzly, Food Of The Gods, Tales From The Crypt, Godzilla vs The Smog Monster, etc... The problem was, usually we'd get bored and jacked up on sugar from candy and sodas and do shit like skateboard down the isles, have food fights, make out with girlfriends and generally be obnoxious punk hoodlums at the expense of any other poor patron unlucky enough to want to catch the same movie we were seeing. On the other hand, "adults" could smoke in theaters back then too. The theater owner and staff never hassled us.

BTW, loved Kentucky Fried Movie - that's the one with the excellent Bruce Lee parody, right?

perkana

#15 Post by perkana » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:32 pm

I think they were more strict here...remember going to the movies when I was like 17 (all girls) and someone shone me with a lamp because I had my feet on the front seat's back :lol: We were annoying too, giggling and stuff, though seriously we must have been like 4 girls tops. I've seen like 10-12 teenagers thrown out of a theater because of being loud and throwing each other popcorn (hitting on some people caught in the middle). Another thing I remember when I was a teen, they wouldn't let you in during class hour if you were wearing a uniform :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#16 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:16 am

I can't believe this is even a discussion. For all you know this was the most important event of the year for these people and their toddler generally sleeps through movies so they made a one time exception and brought them. It's not that big of a deal. To each their own with their kid's bedtimes. The issue is when the kid is crying during the movie, but assuming they're generally quiet what business is it of any of ours what their kid's bedtime is?

Essence_Smith

#17 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:45 am

hokahey wrote:I can't believe this is even a discussion. For all you know this was the most important event of the year for these people and their toddler generally sleeps through movies so they made a one time exception and brought them. It's not that big of a deal. To each their own with their kid's bedtimes. The issue is when the kid is crying during the movie, but assuming they're generally quiet what business is it of any of ours what their kid's bedtime is?
Hoka gave you guys DA BUSINESS... btw, how many people who posted in this thread have children? :hs:

Hype

#18 Post by Hype » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:47 am

hokahey wrote:I can't believe this is even a discussion. For all you know this was the most important event of the year for these people and their toddler generally sleeps through movies so they made a one time exception and brought them. It's not that big of a deal. To each their own with their kid's bedtimes. The issue is when the kid is crying during the movie, but assuming they're generally quiet what business is it of any of ours what their kid's bedtime is?
I think this is exactly right. It may not be the best choice in the world to take a toddler to a midnight movie, but that's got nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that there was a mass murder this one time.

The logic of that way of thinking is no different than the view that women who dress slutty are asking to be raped. :neutral: :mad:

Essence_Smith

#19 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:56 am

I went to see the new Batman yesterday afternoon...I did not take my kids as they're all away for the summer...there were MANY kids who imo were a bit too young to even be sitting in the theatre and several infants under a year old...a few did make some noise...the guy next to me had to leave because his kid who looked to be around 3-4 got tired or scared and began to cry (according to my wife)...it was a bit annoying/disappointing to see on one hand, but most handled the kids well...my revenge of sorts was that during the climax pretty much ALL the kids under 5 had to go to the bathroom, so their parents missed key scenes...the film clocks in at 2 hours and 45 minutes...personally I think anyone who brings a kid under 6 to see something that long is a dumb ass, but who gives a rats ass what I think? There are FAR worse things people could do with/to their kids...

Romeo

#20 Post by Romeo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:22 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
Hoka gave you guys DA BUSINESS... btw, how many people who posted in this thread have children? :hs:
what the hell does having a kid have jack shit to do with it? I have been to MANY Adult movies where I was rudely inturrupted by a infant crying or a restless toddler running around to KNOW don't being your spawn to someplace like a movie theater or fine restaurant where they could disrupt others. children are not an accessory like a chihuahua that you can tote everywhere you go.

Planes I can understand crying babies or bored toddlers obviously. Though allowing them to run up and down the isle OR continually kick the seat in front of them is inexcusable on the parent

Same goes for the Parents in Park Slope who want to bring Jr. to the bar with them & then complain about people in the bar cursing or smoking outside.

Essence_Smith

#21 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:07 am

Romeo wrote:what the hell does having a kid have jack shit to do with it?
Absolutely nothing...but I typically find that people with kids (like Hoka and myself) usually are a bit more tolerant of questionable behavior by parents and their kids than people who don't...

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:18 am

I was on a plane to Scotland a few years ago, and the entire time the kid behind me (who looked to be about 10 years old) was kicking the seat. All I could think was "Dude, I know exactly how you feel and the only reason I'm not kicking the seat in front of me is my legs are too long." It was kind of like a slightly annoying shiatsu massage for 7 hours. :lol:

Sometimes I think adults need to remember that they should be able to have more self-control, suck it up, take a xanax and/or a valium, drink a few glasses of wine and pass the fuck out instead of worrying about other people's kids and how annoying their bad parenting is. :nod:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#23 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:19 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote: It may not be the best choice in the world to take a toddler to a midnight movie, but that's got nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that there was a mass murder this one time.

The logic of that way of thinking is no different than the view that women who dress slutty are asking to be raped. :neutral: :mad:
I'm so glad I havent read anything like that. That's an infuriating failure of logic. I wasnt even considering that line of thought in my reply it's so ridiculous.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#24 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:22 am

Romeo wrote:what the hell does having a kid have jack shit to do with it? I have been to MANY Adult movies where I was rudely inturrupted by a infant crying or a restless toddler running around to KNOW don't being your spawn to someplace like a movie theater or fine restaurant where they could disrupt others. children are not an accessory like a chihuahua that you can tote everywhere you go.
No, but some people aren't comfortable with baby sitters or have no access and shouldn't have to hide in their houses because you're easily annoyed.

Besides, there are theaters that do not allow children in PG-13 or R movies after 6PM. Patronize them instead. Welcome to the beauty of three free market.

Although, I'm surprised the government allows such baltant discrimination against our younger people. :hehe:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#25 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:24 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I was on a plane to Scotland a few years ago, and the entire time the kid behind me (who looked to be about 10 years old) was kicking the seat. All I could think was "Dude, I know exactly how you feel and the only reason I'm not kicking the seat in front of me is my legs are too long." It was kind of like a slightly annoying shiatsu massage for 7 hours. :lol:

Sometimes I think adults need to remember that they should be able to have more self-control, suck it up, take a xanax and/or a valium, drink a few glasses of wine and pass the fuck out instead of worrying about other people's kids and how annoying their bad parenting is. :nod:
If the kid is just being a kid and not out of control due to poor parenting I can deal. In fact, I'd probably start making faces at them or something to help us both laugh and pass the time. But when the kid is clearly a rotten shit I have no tolerance.