A gay man's story amind the chik-a-fil madness

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Hype

Re: A gay man's story amind the chik-a-fil madness

#51 Post by Hype » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:02 pm

I think you'd agree that irrespective of ideological backstory, whatever we can do to get gay people equal rights (presuming that there are no unwanted "side effects", since all we're talking about here is making things *the same* for gay people as they already are for the rest of us) is what we should do, even if we'd rather there be less, or more, government. :nod:

mockbee

#52 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:22 pm

I've changed my tune over the years regarding the role of government...... I used to be hard core Green Party with Nader and the like back in the 90s, then I realized they weren't really so "green" and really had not a clue what they were talking about when it got past the slogans...... Then I went pretty conservative ideologically but couldn't find any contemporary pol who wasn't drowning in crony capitalism and or who had a lick of sense. So I became less politically engaged and voted my conscious but that was it in terms of political activism.

When I travel, going to a couple countries each year, and return home I can't help but have a strong sense of wanting to kiss the ground when I get off the plane. The VAST majority of other countries have it much much much worse than we do in the United States of America, that is a fact and I am so thankful to be here. I completely understand the grievances that are expressed about the current state of affairs here, but they are peanuts compared to what other countries are dealing with right at this moment. ......

What I am trying to get at is at this time in history; the US, Canada, Western Europe and a select few other countries have NO fucking clue what truly bad government is and what havoc it can reap on its people.... We live in paradise in comparison. Certainly we have major issues we need to deal with but other counties have it way, way worse.

There will never be a diverse society that functions with minimal government, that vacuum is always filled with something that is either decent...... or absolutely terrible.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#53 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:26 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I think you'd agree that irrespective of ideological backstory, whatever we can do to get gay people equal rights (presuming that there are no unwanted "side effects", since all we're talking about here is making things *the same* for gay people as they already are for the rest of us) is what we should do, even if we'd rather there be less, or more, government. :nod:
:rockon:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#54 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:39 am

mockbee wrote:I've changed my tune over the years regarding the role of government...... I used to be hard core Green Party with Nader and the like back in the 90s, then I realized they weren't really so "green" and really had not a clue what they were talking about when it got past the slogans...... Then I went pretty conservative ideologically but couldn't find any contemporary pol who wasn't drowning in crony capitalism and or who had a lick of sense. So I became less politically engaged and voted my conscious but that was it in terms of political activism.
I voted for Nader in my very first presidential election. Similar experience.
When I travel, going to a couple countries each year, and return home I can't help but have a strong sense of wanting to kiss the ground when I get off the plane. The VAST majority of other countries have it much much much worse than we do in the United States of America, that is a fact and I am so thankful to be here. I completely understand the grievances that are expressed about the current state of affairs here, but they are peanuts compared to what other countries are dealing with right at this moment. ......

What I am trying to get at is at this time in history; the US, Canada, Western Europe and a select few other countries have NO fucking clue what truly bad government is and what havoc it can reap on its people.... We live in paradise in comparison. Certainly we have major issues we need to deal with but other counties have it way, way worse.
Sure. But we can't rest on that.
There will never be a diverse society that functions with minimal government, that vacuum is always filled with something that is either decent...... or absolutely terrible.
No government? Sure. Smaller government?

Hype

#55 Post by Hype » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:03 am

I think you guys need a bigger NASA budget, also a bigger budget for education generally. Also, funding some stuff that would make the costs of medicare and medicaid go down without just cutting them (which would cause people to ... you know... die...)... could be part of education funding... teaching children how to actually be healthy. :lol:

mockbee

#56 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:34 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Fuck no... I'm left of Stalin... ONE BIG UNION = ONE BIG GOVERNMENT. :banana:

(The "left of Stalin" is a joke, obviously... but the difference between me and most leftists/egalitarians is that I'm not a metaphysical 'liberal/libertarian'. I have a radically different view of what individuals and freedom are, and though I share things like a general desire for egalitarianism of opportunity and social progressivism, I desire these things for reasons which go beyond the Kantian libertarian idea of oneself as a member of the Kingdom of Ends.)

What society/civilization/country in history or present day would you align yourself with, that would most represent your ideal?

mockbee

#57 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:50 am

hokahey wrote:
The system is broken. We're voting for puppets.

How can you support such a system?
I support a streamlined system of government that closely models our current system. There would be more autonomy amongst state and local governments regarding bureaucracy, but each political function at a federal level would have clear, steadfast and encompassing benchmarks that would have to be satisfied. There would be drastically less corporate money in politics, I like a $500 limit per person for campaigns plus a modest Federal stipend depending on public support, or hell $500 per coorporation since I guess they are people too :hs: , I don't care. Just there is no purpose whatsoever for the absolutely OBSCENE amount of money in politics. We could solve many of our problems if this money just went towards useful aims............. I don't like how this has played out with "No Child Left Behind".......teaching to the test does not work. But there has to be environmental, health, worker etc standards that are clear and enforceable. How, I don't know. But I would never ever, ever leave it up to multinational coorporations....... no way........ and mom and pop isn't competing against them as far as national and state policy is concerned.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#58 Post by Hokahey » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:54 am

mockbee wrote:
hokahey wrote:
The system is broken. We're voting for puppets.

How can you support such a system?
I support a streamlined system of government that closely models our current system. There would be more autonomy amongst state and local governments regarding bureaucracy, but each political function at a federal level would have clear, steadfast and encompassing benchmarks that would have to be satisfied. There would be drastically less corporate money in politics, I like a $500 limit per person for campaigns plus a modest Federal stipend depending on public support, or hell $500 per coorporation since I guess they are people too :hs: , I don't care. Just there is no purpose whatsoever for the absolutely OBSCENE amount of money in politics. We could solve many of our problems if this money just went towards useful aims............. I don't like how this has played out with "No Child Left Behind".......teaching to the test does not work. But there has to be environmental, health, worker etc standards that are clear and enforceable. How, I don't know. But I would never ever, ever leave it up to multinational coorporations....... no way........ and mom and pop isn't competing against them as far as national and state policy is concerned.
When there is power for politcians to influence industries and markets there will always be someone finding a way to bribe them.

mockbee

#59 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:57 am

Who do you trust more........ multinational corporations or the people that we have sent to Washington.....?

Either way...... the answer to that question is idiotic....... :balls: :noclue: :bored: