Shaming drivers on phones/texting

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
nausearockpig

Shaming drivers on phones/texting

#1 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:35 am

I would dearly love to set up a website or FB page where people can upload snaps of drivers on their phones or texting. My wife seems to think there are some legal implications of photographing people (regardless of whether they are breaking the law &/or potentially endangering other drivers or pedestrians or not) without their consent. Then there's the irate drivers too..

It would be cool if then the police did something with those photos.

I guess the other thing I could do is open the car door, snatch the phone and smash it running away laughing maniacly...

creep
Site Admin

Re: Shaming drivers on phones/texting

#2 Post by creep » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:44 am

i could take hundreds of photos a day but taking a picture while driving is just as bad as talking on the phone. :noclue:

nausearockpig

#3 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:05 am

creep wrote:i could take hundreds of photos a day but taking a picture while driving is just as bad as talking on the phone. :noclue:
I meant from the footpath or when crossing the road. On foot. Expecting a driver to take pics is crazy.

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:24 am

nausearockpig wrote:
creep wrote:i could take hundreds of photos a day but taking a picture while driving is just as bad as talking on the phone. :noclue:
I meant from the footpath or when crossing the road. On foot. Expecting a driver to take pics is crazy.
at least here in america that would lead to violence. people wouldn't go for having strangers take their pictures......plus unless you live in sf or nyc no one walks.

mockbee

#5 Post by mockbee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 am

I took this photo yesterday of a car. They didn't yell or get out and try to fight me........they had European Union plates though. :lol:

But creep does have a point. If I took photos of people in cars regularly I would have to be ready to bolt......... people are generally very angry or sloths or in their cars here in America.

Maybe in Australia, or wherever you are, they would see the stupidity in their actions of talking on the phone while driving and consider stopping if they had their picture taken.... :noclue:

good luck. :wavesad:

My idea, or stolen idea, for direct action against something that is just plain wrong is sending back all the junk mail in huge envelopes marked 'Return to Sender' and if everybody did that, it would have to be the end of junk mail, there would be soooo much junk at whatever facility sent it out they would be buried in it and couldn't function anymore and realize that they are killing thousands of trees for no reason.......NO ONE WANTS YOUR SHITTY MAIL!!! STOP SENDING IT!!!!! ........they would get the message and stop. :mad: :balls: :sulk:

creep
Site Admin

#6 Post by creep » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:14 am

mockbee wrote:

My idea, or stolen idea, for direct action against something that is just plain wrong is sending back all the junk mail in huge envelopes marked 'Return to Sender' and if everybody did that, it would have to be the end of junk mail, there would be soooo much junk at whatever facility sent it out they would be buried in it and couldn't function anymore and realize that they are killing thousands of trees for no reason.......NO ONE WANTS YOUR SHITTY MAIL!!! STOP SENDING IT!!!!! ........they would get the message and stop. :mad: :balls: :sulk:
i'm ok with junk mail. it helps to keep our post office afloat. just recycle it. :noclue:

kv

#7 Post by kv » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:19 am

yeah i have 2 recycle bins i keep one behind the gate my mailbox is on and it fills every 3-4 months :no:

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:16 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you fill out a form at your local post office to stop the typical junk mail that at least isn't directly addressed to the person living at the address?

Pandemonium

#9 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 am

creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
at least here in america that would lead to violence. people wouldn't go for having strangers take their pictures......plus unless you live in sf or nyc no one walks.
There's been a few times when my son is with me in the car and he's playing a game on my phone and I've been cut off by a cellphone-using driver (or in one case, a woman reading some sort of book on her steering wheel while going 70+mph!) on the freeway and I've had him try to snap a photo of the offender just to intimidate them.

Essence_Smith

#10 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:36 am

Here is NY I've seen MANY people reading paperback books while walking down the street... I'm waiting for someone to get effed up by a car or at least a bike messenger while doing this... :essence:

chaos

#11 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:10 am

Pandemonium wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you fill out a form at your local post office to stop the typical junk mail that at least isn't directly addressed to the person living at the address?
Registering with Catalog Choice has cut down unwanted mailings considerably. https://www.catalogchoice.org/
It takes a few months. If a company keeps sending you stuff, just log back on the catalog choice site and report them (very easy). I registered seven or eight years ago and after a few months the mailings were cut by 85-90%.

blackcoffee

#12 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:04 pm

nausearockpig wrote:I would dearly love to set up a website or FB page where people can upload snaps of drivers on their phones or texting. My wife seems to think there are some legal implications of photographing people (regardless of whether they are breaking the law &/or potentially endangering other drivers or pedestrians or not) without their consent. Then there's the irate drivers too..

It would be cool if then the police did something with those photos.

I guess the other thing I could do is open the car door, snatch the phone and smash it running away laughing maniacly...

While driving in NM once--coming down an offramp, a woman ran my car off the road because she didn't see me, my wife and small child in our car. I was so pissed off I drove up alongside her at the light and I wanted to pull the phone our of her hands, but yelled instead. The huge irony was that she was still talking on the phone and hadn't noticed what she'd done at all.

Romeo

#13 Post by Romeo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:41 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:Here is NY I've seen MANY people reading paperback books while walking down the street... I'm waiting for someone to get effed up by a car or at least a bike messenger while doing this... :essence:
the best are the idiots who text & walk.....right into a parked car. :lol:

The fine in NY for texting & driving is $150 plus 2 points

what's the fine in your state??

mockbee

#14 Post by mockbee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:46 pm

Romeo wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:Here is NY I've seen MANY people reading paperback books while walking down the street... I'm waiting for someone to get effed up by a car or at least a bike messenger while doing this... :essence:

Last I checked Brooklyn and LI were the same state, in fact the same island! Though I suppose many people in NYC would beg to differ........ :hehe: :lol:

SR

#15 Post by SR » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:47 pm

tvrec

#16 Post by tvrec » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:54 pm

On top of that, the law is hardly enforced. The first month or so, I would see people all over the place getting pulled over. Now, I rarely see anyone getting pulled over for anything. The famed CHiPs are a rare sight on the freeways in SoCal now, and local cops tend to focus on crime-related matters that don't involve traffic. Obviously, 20 dollars is negligible when weighed against immediate impulses.

In some ways, I feel terribly old, conservative, curmudgeonly about this topic and other traffic related things. It's become the norm to be self-involved in one's own car, neglecting even simply courtesies such as using a turn signal at a four-way stop. :oldtimer:

chaos

#17 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:54 pm

Romeo wrote:

In Massachusetts you can be fined for talking on a cell phone while driving (hands free devices are okay):
Fines: $100 (first offense), then $250, then $500. Moving violation.
Fines for texting:
*Text messaging banned for all drivers, as well as other Internet-related activities. Fines: $100 (first offense), then $250, then $500.

*Cell phone use prohibited for drivers under 18, as well as use of other mobile electronics. Fines as above, plus graduated license suspensions.

*School bus operators and other public transit drivers barred from using cell phones while driving. Fine: $500.
In Massachusetts pedestrians have the right of way (as they do in most states); however, they seem to take this a little too seriously and cross the street as if they have a death wish. :lol: They take for granted that the car(s) will stop. It took me some time to get used to it. If I crossed the street like this in NJ or NY I would be dead. In suburban areas cars tend to stop as soon as someone puts his foot into the street.

Also, no one waits for a space to make a turn when driving. Drivers simply pull out in front of you (regardless of the speed your traveling), and they wave when they do it as if you gave them the go ahead.

perkana

#18 Post by perkana » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:08 pm

Do people over there fall onto rails at subway stations because of being on the cellphone? Here is a very common thing apparently...
Go to sec 43

creep
Site Admin

#19 Post by creep » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:36 pm

that is just the base. the assessments add much more. in sacramento it is $162 for the first time.

$4 Surcharge
$40 State penalty assessment
$10 DMV fee
$1 Night court fee
$8 DNA funds
$4 State court facilities construction fund
$35 Criminal conviction assessment
$40 Court security fee

Pandemonium

#20 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:47 pm

creep wrote:
that is just the base. the assessments add much more. in sacramento it is $162 for the first time.

$4 Surcharge
$40 State penalty assessment
$10 DMV fee
$1 Night court fee
$8 DNA funds
$4 State court facilities construction fund
$35 Criminal conviction assessment
$40 Court security fee
Heh, getting a ticket in California is like potluck mystery fine. You really don't know how much (more) you're going to get hammered until the ticket notice arrives in the mail.

Pandemonium

#21 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:54 pm

tvrec wrote:
On top of that, the law is hardly enforced. The first month or so, I would see people all over the place getting pulled over. Now, I rarely see anyone getting pulled over for anything. The famed CHiPs are a rare sight on the freeways in SoCal now, and local cops tend to focus on crime-related matters that don't involve traffic. Obviously, 20 dollars is negligible when weighed against immediate impulses.
Oh, the law is enforced, it's just that so many people break it, just like say, single driver in the carpool lane, that it's really a matter of playing the odds, which due to the cop vs offender percentage means the offender has pretty good odds of repeatedly getting away with it.
tvrec wrote:In some ways, I feel terribly old, conservative, curmudgeonly about this topic and other traffic related things. It's become the norm to be self-involved in one's own car, neglecting even simply courtesies such as using a turn signal at a four-way stop. :oldtimer:
I agree.

mockbee

#22 Post by mockbee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:12 pm

chaos wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you fill out a form at your local post office to stop the typical junk mail that at least isn't directly addressed to the person living at the address?
Registering with Catalog Choice has cut down unwanted mailings considerably. https://www.catalogchoice.org/
It takes a few months. If a company keeps sending you stuff, just log back on the catalog choice site and report them (very easy). I registered seven or eight years ago and after a few months the mailings were cut by 85-90%.

I should do this for sure......... but the biggest problem is actually organizations that I have given money to in the past. Like this AIDS support group my wife gave $10 to :noclue: over fifteen years ago send us massive amounts of mailings a couple times a month...... The amount they must have paid for postage for our household has to be 10 times the amount that she originally donated at this point...:balls: The Cal State Parks Dept is another egregious offender.......the irony of that one. :banghead:

And banks!!!!!! My bank sends me so much crap it's ridiculous...and most other banks as well...... Luckily I can cancel a credit card this month that I have actually had since I was 8 years old (started as a debit, and got a credit card later and it also started as a local CU then turned into a multinational Barclays Bank card some years ago...........I saved every dollar I got from birthdays and allowances...screwy kid... :nod: :confused: ). Don't know if I can just request for Chase (ive never been affiliated with them :hs: to never send me anything ever again.........

And don't get me started on the Post Office.....or the representatives of my fine zip code.......:no: whenever we leav own for a couple weeks we request them to hold the mail; we've tried online, via mailer and in person; but we always end up with a brick of mail jammed in our tiny box in the lobby........every single time. We've left notes in the box that we requested a stop and that is always jammed at the back of the brick and we have complained at the post office and they said there is nothing they can do.......:balls: :lolol:

creep
Site Admin

#23 Post by creep » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm

mockbee wrote:
And don't get me started on the Post Office.....or the representatives of my fine zip code.......:no: whenever we leav own for a couple weeks we request them to hold the mail; we've tried online, via mailer and in person; but we always end up with a brick of mail jammed in our tiny box in the lobby........every single time. We've left notes in the box that we requested a stop and that is always jammed at the back of the brick and we have complained at the post office and they said there is nothing they can do.......:balls: :lolol:
i've never had a problem holding mail. i love getting mail. in almost all houses now you have community mailboxes or boxes in front of your house. i was really excited when i bought my house because i have a mail slot on the house where my mail drops in to my house. it's the greatest thing ever.

the only thing that bothers me is that when i have a replacement mailman on my mailmans day off they usually are always talking on their phones while delivering mail. they do it on bluetooth but still get off the phone while you deliver mail.

farrellgirl99

#24 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:53 pm

creep wrote:
mockbee wrote:
i've never had a problem holding mail. i love getting mail. in almost all houses now you have community mailboxes or boxes in front of your house. i was really excited when i bought my house because i have a mail slot on the house where my mail drops in to my house. it's the greatest thing ever.

the only thing that bothers me is that when i have a replacement mailman on my mailmans day off they usually are always talking on their phones while delivering mail. they do it on bluetooth but still get off the phone while you deliver mail.
i answer the door at my job (it's an office but it's in a brownstone) for delivery people (fed ex, mailmen, ups, messenger services etc) about 7-10 times a day. i would say they are on the phone 85% of the time. i always just wonder who they're talking to all the time

ellis

#25 Post by ellis » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:06 am

I get my truck right up next to em and blast the horn.

Fun times.