Michelle Obama's speech

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Artemis

Michelle Obama's speech

#1 Post by Artemis » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:53 pm

:rockon: Her speech was awesome, so uplifting and inspiring.

My only criticism is making words with an 'st' have a 'sh' sound.

Shtruggle for struggle. Like a soft 'sh' sound.

Is it a Chicago thing??

farrellgirl99

Re: Michelle Obama's speech

#2 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:00 pm

I love Michelle and am totally biased but I also thought her speech was great. I'm an Obama fan girl :love:

Artemis

#3 Post by Artemis » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:05 pm

All the women who spoke were pretty great. Especially Lilly Ledebetter..

Hype

#4 Post by Hype » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Artemis wrote::rockon: Her speech was awesome, so uplifting and inspiring.

My only criticism is making words with an 'st' have a 'sh' sound.

Shtruggle for struggle. Like a soft 'sh' sound.

Is it a Chicago thing??
It sounds like dentures, to me. :scared:

perkana

#5 Post by perkana » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:31 am

any link? I missed it...

Essence_Smith

#6 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:24 am

mockbee

#7 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:13 am

I watched 13 minutes of the speech from a clip (don't know if that was the brunt of it) and I thought it was a fine speech, rallying Barack's character and making him 'human'...... The concept of dehumanizing our opponent is absurd, but seems pervasive. Clint accomplished this to a blatant and absurd level that should be clearly obvious to anyone who is human.

I was wondering what people here thought about Michelle playing the traditional wife role and not interjecting her own self and her own accomplishments into the speech, like Lilly Ledbetter. Michelle is an extremely intelligent and active person in her own right. Or was it just her responsibility to be the supportive wife?

(Again I may have missed it if she made references to her own accomplishments)

Hype

#8 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:22 am

It's a good speech I guess. I don't really care about "their story", because I don't think that makes someone a good president. And I guess the thing is she's not the one people are voting for -- her position isn't really a thing... but yet obviously the spouse of a leader can influence that leader, so it's probably good to know he/she is an intelligent person. :lol: Not like those Republican wives (oh, and Tipper Gore... what in the fuck?)

Michelle *might* be, so far as I know, anyway, (correct me if I'm wrong) one of the first recent First Ladies not to bring up the censorship of entertainment media...

Romeo

#9 Post by Romeo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:22 am

mockbee wrote:I watched 13 minutes of the speech from a clip (don't know if that was the brunt of it) and I thought it was a fine speech, rallying Barack's character and making him 'human'...... The concept of dehumanizing our opponent is absurd, but seems pervasive. Clint accomplished this to a blatant and absurd level that should be clearly obvious to anyone who is human.

I was wondering what people here thought about Michelle playing the traditional wife role and not interjecting her own self and her own accomplishments into the speech, like Lilly Ledbetter. Michelle is an extremely intelligent and active person in her own right. Or was it just her responsibility to be the supportive wife?

(Again I may have missed it if she made references to her own accomplishments)
I think it was a deliberate move to counter Ann Romney's Stay at home Mom routine

I don't think they wanted her coming off as a intellectual snob vs Ann Romney the Stepford Wife.

i think Michelle did a great job!

Artemis

#10 Post by Artemis » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:24 am

For me personally, I do not care about the spouses and children of a politician. Nor do I care about their religious affiliation. In the US though, it's something that seems to influence a person's decision. So, if I consider that, I think Michelle did a great job of promoting their "values". Thankfully, she wasn't heavy on the God blessings. I guess it was obligatory to throw in a few for good measure. In Canada, it would turn people off if the candidates did that.
Last edited by Artemis on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Romeo

#11 Post by Romeo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:26 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:It's a good speech I guess. I don't really care about "their story", because I don't think that makes someone a good president. And I guess the thing is she's not the one people are voting for -- her position isn't really a thing...

i refer you to Hillary Clinton as a FLOTUS if you don't think her position isn't a "thing"

First Ladies have plenty of influence. We wouldn't have the Family Leave act if it wasn't for Hillary lobbying congress.

Hype

#12 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:30 am

Romeo wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:It's a good speech I guess. I don't really care about "their story", because I don't think that makes someone a good president. And I guess the thing is she's not the one people are voting for -- her position isn't really a thing...

i refer you to Hillary Clinton as a FLOTUS if you don't think her position isn't a "thing"

First Ladies have plenty of influence. We wouldn't have the Family Leave act if it wasn't for Hillary lobbying congress.
Oh, I know they have influence, and it's great. It is just a strange position given that it's not a democratically elected position, and it isn't an official part of government (since, after all, a president could be single). I didn't mean to say that First Ladies don't do great and important things -- they certainly do, and it's a good thing, too.

Artemis

#13 Post by Artemis » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:33 am

I don't thing a single person would ever have a chance of getting elected for president.

mockbee

#14 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:33 am

Artemis wrote:I don't thing a single person would ever have a chance of getting elected for president.

What are you talking about? Dennis Kucinich was single and got a whopping 1.5% of the vote some years back!? :lol: I thin he was secretly hoping to pick up some chick along the way..... :hehe:

Romeo

#15 Post by Romeo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:58 am

James Buchanan was single.

Grover Cleveland got married while President

SR

#16 Post by SR » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:54 am

Best first lady since E Roosevelt. The worst..... Nancy Reagan then Mary Todd Lincoln

Essence_Smith

#17 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Michelle is pretty awesome...very well educated, well spoken and classy lady...none of that hurts her husband's campaign...

ellis

#18 Post by ellis » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 pm

I watched the speech last night. It was a very well done speech. I believe that the speech will bring a lot of disenchanted voters back to the Dems, especially women who may be on the fence about voting again. It pains me to even write that... "voting again"... It pains me because there is a LARGE number of Americans who do not vote at all and there are a certain percentage of voters who don't vote consistently. I've read many articles in the last few months about disenchanted voters who basically only vote when they feel like it. There has been a lot of opinions out there... but some of the opinions are pointing to these voters as being the win or lose for Obama.

Not to derail the thread... but I do not intend to vote for Obama or Romney this year. I have decided to vote for Jill Stein from the Green Party.

Essence_Smith

#19 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Man bump that...thread jack!!!!

How many of us here actually feel they are part of the process of electing the President of the U.S.??? Cause I'm pretty sure my vote doesn't really count for much...I view local elections far differently, but I think the POTUS is not something the common man "elects"...

Romeo

#20 Post by Romeo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:00 pm

I agree that people feel disenfranchised because of the stupid electoral votes where a candidate only needs 270 to win. People really feel their votes don't count.

We should just go back to the popular vote. Where every vote does count.

That being said, I have not missed voting in a election since I registered at 18. many many many moons ago :lol:

on edit according to huff post if the election was held today....
http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/201 ... ctoral-map
#FTW!!

SR

#21 Post by SR » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:12 pm

People don't vote because the parties are identical and the real power is obscured by far more show than matter. To vote is essentially the same as not voting......more now than ever with a truly global economy.

Pandemonium

#22 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Artemis wrote:I don't thing a single person would ever have a chance of getting elected for president.
JFK and Bill Clinton were ... kinda.... single.

Artemis

#23 Post by Artemis » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
JFK and Bill Clinton were ... kinda.... single.
haha...well they still had wives for the sake of public image.

it just seems that the voting public wouldn't trust a single man or woman as much. they would think that the single person wouldn't understand "family values". no doubt the single person running for president these days would have to prove his or her heterosexuality. :lol:

Hype

#24 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:59 pm

I wish Barney Frank had run a few years ago. I really respect him.

Jasper

#25 Post by Jasper » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:33 pm

Romeo wrote:I agree that people feel disenfranchised because of the stupid electoral votes where a candidate only needs 270 to win. People really feel their votes don't count.

We should just go back to the popular vote. Where every vote does count.
Dems would benefit from a popular vote. Al Gore won it against Bush. I forget how Kerry did with the popular vote, but it had to be better than the electoral outcome.

Too bad the South would probably try to secede again if were ever changed.