Do you believe in White Privilege?

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Essence_Smith

Re: Do you believe in White Privilege?

#61 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:47 pm

wally wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
White kids are not 100% exempt from getting fucked up by police, etc, but it generally takes them a LOT more to get to "don't taze me bro" than it does for the average young person of color to get harassed...it's not for the same reasons and you're missing the point...willfully...
dude it was a joke. smoke a bowl or some shit, you really need to lighten up (no pun intended).
I'm white, my daughter is black, I'm well aware of white privilege TYVM. :eyes:
This is where context gets lost on the internet...none of what I posted was angry or the least bit annoyed, I just thought we were talking past each other maybe...I didn't get the joke at all because I didn't make it too far into the clip...no need for any eye rolling here sir, I respect where you're coming from pretty much 99% of the time... :wave:

Hype

#62 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:04 pm

I think someone shared this a long time ago on one of the boards, but it's worth bringing up again: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/u ... ndexrk.htm

Even black people implicitly associate blackness with badness. :neutral:
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for European American children compared to African American children.
But I don't even prefer children. :nyrexall:
Last edited by Hype on Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wally

#63 Post by wally » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:07 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
wally wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
it's not for the same reasons and you're missing the point...willfully...

that's the part i was referring to, no worries man, its all good. :cheers:

Romeo

#64 Post by Romeo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:59 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Romeo wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Another thing: many of those countries were, a long long time ago, very multicultural, and involved a lot of international traffic (Dubai and a few other places are exceptions because they still are), but e.g., Turkey is extremely monocultural. I met this Turkish guy who came to my dept to study multiculturalism and he found it really hard to believe how everyone he met had parents from different countries, and most not even Canada... this just isn't how people think in Turkey... everyone is either Turkish all the way back or not Turkish... :neutral: So that's another issue... It's a kind of "white privilege" to think everyone else is already able to see the world the way we do because of historical accidents that have led to affluence and power.
I know I've said it a million times, but one reason I love NY so much is because you can pretty much come in contact with people from everywhere. I went to school with a LOT of Turkish kids and they definitely struck me as a group that were friendly enough to kinda kick with with, but the expectation was that they date and marry someone from their country. I remember asking a friend why this was the case and he didn't really have an answer because he was attracted to black women but wouldn't even talk to them because of that... :lol:

It's funny because as I mentioned earlier in the thread I like to bring these issues up not to stir shit up as much as to get the exchange going...because believe it or not we can all benefit from it. I don't have a problem with the fact that the concept definitely exists but I wish more people would be honest with themselves about and take a look at how the small things add up to something big.
That is no different from Sephardic Jews who will fool around with the Italian guys in their neighborhood of Midwood but can only marry another Sephardic Jew.

When my Grandparents married in 1922 a Jew and a Catholic were a no-no. An ITALIAN Catholic no less. My Grandfather had to convert to Judaism in order to marry her. He really didn't have a choice, they had already ran off and got married at City Hall and my Great Grandmother was LIVID. Had they kept that as their only marriage and didn't get married by a Rabbi, she would have considered her daughter dead (basically kick her out of the family). So he converted and they were married by a Rabbi.

As for white privilege.....absolutely. I don't get followed around by security in a dept store. But my friends of color do.
Woah, Sephardim eh? I don't see a lot of them in the GTA where they're mostly Ashkenazi (that's what I am, in part). And yeah, my parents went through that exact thing... Still has repercussions to this day, but not converting was the right decision for my mom. Sometimes you don't want to be part of a community. (Like Spinoza, who was kicked out, and stayed kicked out, even though usually Jews were expected to beg to return.)
There is a section of Midwood Brooklyn that is mostly Sephardic. Though they are orthodox, they are orthodox "lite" meaning their daughters go to college and drive (mostly Porsche and Mercedes) and do wear wigs and modest clothing BUT the wigs are stylish (not plain) and the clothes designer.
This pisses the non-sephardic orthodox community off. So the local Rabbi sent out a flyer to EVERY HOUSE in the hood (Jewish or not) explaining more like emphasizing the "do's and don'ts". My ex lived on the border of Midwood in Bensonhurst, he got one even though he was Italian Catholic.

Essence_Smith

#65 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:30 pm

ferguson vs pumpkinfest ...glad I didn't see this the wrong way...we hit the street when someone gets hurt and it's a whole different story, but hey, that's America for ya...

blackcoffee

#66 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:ferguson vs pumpkinfest ...glad I didn't see this the wrong way...we hit the street when someone gets hurt and it's a whole different story, but hey, that's America for ya...

I've seen similar images from Katrina where white people "find' food, and black people are portrayed as looters. Similarly, remember when they darkened OJ's skin on the cover of Time or Newsweek when he was on trial?

What's really messed up is how many college students don't think racism or race issues are a factor for people anymore. Institutionalized racism is alive and well in our society.

Hype

#67 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:08 pm

blackcoffee wrote:What's really messed up is how many college students don't think racism or race issues are a factor for people anymore. Institutionalized racism is alive and well in our society.
I'm not sure that's true. Pretty much every college kid I've met in the past decade (seriously... I've been in colleges on and off for a decade already.. :scared: ) has been pretty acutely tuned to the systemic and subtle forms of racism that still exist. The only ones I've met who deny it are the stereotypical libertarian/anti-feminist/anti-leftist types who sometimes pop up on campus. A lot of it has shifted to a focus on anti-Arab forms of discrimination, almost certainly because of 9/11 (the reverberating effects of an immediate increase in discrimination is an increased focus on that by those who would have tended to focus on something like it anyway).

It's pretty much de rigueur these days for college kids to be up on the latest injustices... even the ones that aren't really there. :lol:

SR

#68 Post by SR » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:42 am

Just a few days ago I had a rather heated discussion with my son on whether the word "tribe' had inherent racist connotations. It derived from a discussion he had in his African Studies class at UCLA. Though the conversation migrated to other words such as 'clan' 'warlord', and 'tyrant', he is of the mindset that racism is alive and well in the merica and from what I could gather many of his 'mates' do too.

Essence_Smith

#69 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:22 am

I think that younger people and college kids are definitely aware that racism still exists though I'm not sure they generally care enough to actually do anything about it. I think as pitiful as I thought it was the "Occupy" movement was the closest I've seen to people actually attempting to make a significant statement and hit the streets, but we saw that quickly turned into. It also didn't help that it was a somewhat misguided "movement" to begin with, but it was an attempt to bring attention to something that seemed to really matter to them...I just wish it wouldn't take things like the police shooting people to get people out on the streets because even 20 years ago when I was in full protest mode it didn't take much for us to stage a walkout and hit City Hall...

Hype

#70 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:52 am

http://gawker.com/douchebag-the-white-r ... 1647954231
On Shouting White Racial Slurs in Public

I am a white, middle-class male professor at a big, public university, and every year I get up in front of 150 to 200 undergraduates in a class on the history of race in America and I ask them to shout white racial slurs at me.

The results are usually disappointing.

First of all, everyone knows that saying anything overtly racist in front of strangers is totally taboo. Even so, most of these kids are not new to conversations about race; the majority of them are students of color, including loads of junior college transfers, student parents, vets, and a smattering of white kids, mostly freshmen. Of course some are just scared of speaking in front of so many people, no matter what the topic.

So I cajole a few of them into "cracker" and "redneck." We can usually get to "hillbilly" or "trailer trash" or "white trash," possibly even "peckerwood," before folks recognize the "Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel" pattern of class discrimination here. And being that we are at a top ranked West Coast university, not only do we all share basic middle-class aspirations, but we can feel pretty safe in the fact that there are no "rednecks" here to insult.

The '60s era black nationalist terms come out next, usually from one of the all too few black male students in the room, sometime from a student athlete. "Honky!" This gets a chuckle from the class. After all, it is a funny word to say out loud. "Whitey" and its weak hip hop variant "wigger" are voiced to more giggles. The black power aggression of "look out whitey" and "white devils" is only a memory of a failed black militancy.

Hispanic students find their way to "gringo," just as a student perhaps from Atlanta or Houston offers "Yankee." Students from further away give their own regional variant insult for white imperialists and tourists — such as "haole." From this we learn that race is defined by place, and that where you are white matters.

It is either a sign of their ongoing potency or proof of the decline in the category of ethnicity, but the old racial slurs for Italians, Irish, Greek, Jewish, Catholic, German, Polish, etc., never get spoken aloud. Is this silence because these groups are or are not white? Maybe these kids have never heard someone use the word "dago" or "wop" or "mick" before, apart from that Jewish movie guy in The Godfather?

The point of this sanctioned spewing of hate speech is that none of these words can hurt me. Because I am an individual. I can choose to not be offended. White racial slurs are not common in our colorblind age because they don't work on people who posses white privilege. When they do work, like "redneck" or "cracker," it's a matter of class politics.

But rich white men enjoy the invisible power of being just people. Normal. Basic Humanity. Everyone else gets some version of discrimination.

The nonwhite racial slurs hurt because they both smear with dirt and deny human diversity. They reduce all members of a race to the same hated and debased categorization. Your skin, your blood and body are all that matters, the words say, and I hate you for it.

This is about when I run out of time and have to end class. As I am unplugging, a few of those white kids creep up to ask: So what should we do? If we want to be more than just not racist, if we want to be actually anti-racist, then how should we act? How do we deal with the burden of a privilege we did not earn?

Now I gotta get to another class half-way across campus, so I don't have time to tell them that so-called "liberal guilt" is not the answer and that empathy and solidarity are. I don't have time to explain that learning to share anger at injustice is the start of a common conversation, and that they can learn how to recognize where privilege resides in their own lives by reading about and listening to the experiences of others who do not have it. I gotta run, so I just say to them: "It's a long argument, and an endless series of principled choices, but the short version is simply: Don't be a douchebag."

A Useless, Sexist Tool

This may sound like shallow, even flip advice. But it's a hard-won and well-tested insight using the multicultural classroom as laboratory. It came to me a few years back, at the end of the standard exercise in class.

"What about douchebag?" I asked the students, experimentally.

"Have any of you ever called some one black or brown or Asian a douchebag?... How 'bout women or gay folks?" The students had no recognizable response to the initial suggestion. But with each refining question—"Ever call a poor person a douchebag?"—their widening eyes became knowing nods, nods became spoken agreement, and the scattered "yes" gathered into a room of collectively blown minds. Including mine. Yes, it turns out, only rich, white heterosexist men are douchebags.

We had just contradicted the point of the racial slurs discussion, but that was lost in the rush of discovery. Here, hiding in plain view, was a viable white racial slur. Because while "cracker" and "honky" don't hurt me, I would totally be offended if someone called me a douchebag. And I would need some sort of definition against which to launch my personal defense.

So why had none of us recognized this before? Why did this slur actually work? What does the human douchebag really look like? Why do we call him that and what do we hate about the douchebag?

The douchebag is someone—overwhelmingly white, rich, heterosexual males—who insists upon, nay, demands his white male privilege in every possible set and setting. The douchebag is equally douchey (that's the adjectival version of the term) in public and in private. He is a douchebag waiting in line for coffee as well as in the bedroom.

There are plausible objections to "douchebag". It feels like an overused insult. And its origins lie in the male insult culture that identifies women's bodies as the object of contempt. But even as such, it's an accidental monument to male blindness. An actual douchebag isn't feminine; it's a quite literally useless, sexist tool. It's alienated from women.

And with that particular understanding, I believe the term "douchebag" is the white racial slur we have all be waiting for.

We have only to realize this, for it has been there all along. In fact, it is white privilege itself that has blinded us to the true nature of the douchebag's identity. In the same way that white hetrosexist males are thought of as an unmarked category, regular people, the douchebag has—at least until now—been similarly unmarked. It's insult that refers to ordinary men. Who happen to be white. Whiteness' inability to see whiteness has so far blinded us all to implications of the douchebag. But no longer.

The precise race, class, and gender position of the douchebag marks this identity as a specific subset of the asshole, another identity on the rise in the twenty-first century. The asshole—as brilliantly defined by Ta-Nehisi Coates—is someone who insists that all social encounters occur on their terms, as in, "Hey that person over there with the Google Glass is an asshole!" (Glasshole! Get it?)

While anyone can be an asshole, though, the douchebag is always a white guy—and so much more than that. The douchebag is the demanding 1 percent, and the far more numerous class of white, heterosexist men who ape and aspire to be them. Wall Street guys are douchebags to be sure, but so is anyone looking to cash in on his own white male privilege.

This narrowness of categorization—perhaps unique in the history of America's rich history of racial and sexual slurs—is what makes the word douchebag such a potentially useful political tool.

There is a history of the douchebag as a white racial slur, stretching from when the word was first flung across a D&D game in 1982's ET to the recent, and all too premature, assessment by Gawker and Jezebel that the term has "jumped the shark." Before the douchebag there was the suburban "collar popping" preppy and the urban yuppie. Now there is the frat boy, the mansplainer, the pick-up artist, the dude, the bro, and most of the men in Las Vegas. But really, they are all just douchebags.

Douchebag Politics

So it turns out that the term douchebag is a great deal more, and a great deal more precise, than what Dan Harmon considers merely "a more potent way to call someone a jerk."

Adam Levine, like Ryan Lochte before him, is so commonly labeled as a douchebag in social media that in a recent GQ celebrity profile he offered up his own multi-part definition of the douchebag, coupled by a point by point rebuttal as to why he should not be counted amongst the category he so defined.

Of course, playing douchebag / not a douchebag is one of social media's most favorite games, so let's try it with our new definition based on white privilege:

Gordon " greed is good" Gecko is lord high douchebag, and Charlie Sheen is his firstborn and crowned prince douchebag.

There are billionaire CEO douchebags like Larry Ellison and Donald Trump, and wage slave douchebags who work as lifeguards, bartenders and in sporting good stores but aspire to be billionaires. Tech, finance, and consulting douchebags predominate , but there are also high concentrations of douchebags in real estate, mid-level management, fitness, video games, and television entertainment.

Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are both douchebags, which is part of why they lost. Joe Biden and Bill de Blasio are not douchebags, which is part of why they won.

Wall Street and Wolf of Wall Street are the best movies about the douchebag. Steven Colbert and his entitled, uninformed, self-promoting, and colorblind persona is its most thorough parody. Fox News offers us the spectacle of an entire television network composed of douchebags pushing a douchebag's world view.

Pro sports is a dense field of douchebaggery. Lance Armstrong, Roger Goodell, the Washington Redskins, and Cristiano Ronaldo are douchebags, but Leo Messi and FC Barcelona are not.

Sam Spade is not a douchebag but John Wayne certainly was. Captain Kirk is a douchebag, but Spock, Picard, and Riker are not (though Riker sometimes wants to be). Peter Parker is not a douchebag, neither is Clark Kent. But Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark sure are. Cyclops is a douchebag whereas Magneto is not. Hal Jordan is a douchebag, but Captain America (perhaps surprisingly) is not.

And if we needed further proof that the douchebag is a social construction, and a set of personal choices, rather than some form of white male essentialism, I give you the paradox of Michael J. Fox: Alex P. Keaton is a douchebag, but Marty McFly is not.

Beware the Killer Douchebag

But this is not all fun and games. Douchebags can be deadly, especially to women. And learning to recognize them and avoid them can be a word of advice to save a life.

At their most extreme, the douchebag can be someone like Patrick Bateman from American Psycho; a psychotic killer who uses the mask of white male wealth and privilege to seduce victims and elude detection. But this type does not just exist in fiction.

On college campuses, white (i.e. segregated) frats are pestilential breeding grounds for alcohol poisoning, drug abuse, sexual assault, and white male privilege, and if they cannot be dismantled or removed from university campuses, then they should be strenuously avoided by all but campus police and "Take Back the Night" marches.

There have been dangerous douchebags throughout history. Thomas Jefferson, when he slipped into the slave quarters at night for his dose of brown sugar, became our nation's douchebag founding father. The Southern plantation aristocracy were probably the most powerful douchebags in American history, and the Civil War was fought to suppress them and win human rights for the enslaved. Over the next century and a half these defeated douchebags transformed themselves into the Redneck / Douchebag coalition that runs the Republican party today.

"Some Emotional Need": The Medical History of the Douchebag

But there is a history beyond this history, a medical history that provides the unlikely background to this character type.

In surveying the medical literature, one finds that the douchebag—a vulcanized rubber appliance like a hot-water bottle attached to a rubber tube or hose—had a wide range of useful applications for doctors and nurses. In a field hospital, a douchebag can be used to wash out wounds, and in 1943, the American Journal of Nursing gave the best ever reason to use a douchebag: to wash out one's eyes in the event of a gas attack.

"Douchebag" simultaneously appears in the linguistics literature in 1946 as military slang for a misfit, someone "maladjusted to military life." Maybe this failed soldier just needed to wash out his eyes?

In 1956, Dr. Oscar Bourgeault wrote on the "Feminine Hygiene Question" in the American Journal of Nursing, telling nurses to advise their patients that if they think they need to douche, the answer "usually is don't." Dr Bourgeault's advice grew out of a felt need for medical professionals to challenge the widespread advertisements in the era of the Feminie Mystique threatening women with what one add called the loss of "the precious air of romance" with their husbands "for lack of the intimate daintiness dependent on effective douching." The advertiser's solution was—believe it or not—douching with Lysol disinfectant to "destroy germs and odors, to give a fresh, clean and wholesome feeling" and "restore every woman's confidence in her power to please."

Dr. Bourgeault couldn't't agree with this nonsense. Douching was part of the medical profession for years, he explains, but it only developed a mass usage beginning in 1900 when a Boston physician claimed that vaginal douching was a good form of birth control. As Margaret Sanger and Emma Goldman learned the hard way, discussing birth control in public was a crime in this era, and this particular doctor was hounded out of the profession for violating public decency. Nevertheless, the rumor of an accessible and discrete form of birth control, especially for middle class women, set off a popular wave of usage as word spread "via the grape vine, back fence and sewing circle."

Not only is douching ineffective as a method of birth control, but, Dr. Bourgault concluded, "douches are unnecessary for women—maiden, wife or mother." He added that women who feel "unclean" without their daily douche are trying to serve some "emotional need."

If disgust and ignorance about the functioning of your own reproductive organs counts as an "emotional need" then the anti-feminist logic of the device should be apparent to us. So too does it reveal how the origins of the term "douchebag" as an insult stems from not just contemptuousness towards women's anatomy and sexual health, but misunderstanding.

Of course, in today's medical advice world the "usually" in the "usually don't" claim has been unequivocally removed. Writing in 2004, Dr. Mary Ann Iannachione states it clearly: "douching is unnecessary and carries inherent risks… leaving women at greater risk of upper and lower vaginal tract infections." Herein we find the link between the medical appliance, the outdated practice of feminine hygiene, and the white men we recognize today as "douchebags." They are both, it bears repeating, useless sexist tools.

Conclusion: "Don't Be a Douchebag"

What should you do if you know or even care about someone who is douchebag? Well, apart from some kind of systemic forced re-education, I suggest you follow the rules established for Schmidt, the resident comic douchebag on the TV show New Girl. Every time Schmidt demands his First World privilege, his roommates cry foul and order him to stuff cash in the "douche jar," thereby collecting a punitive tax on the rich and douchey that can be used to subsidizes the house beer fund. Perhaps there is a lesson for social policy in this gag?

Of course there is! Our policy attack on social douchebaggery can begin with with taxes on yachts, Segways, private planes and vacation homes. Are you a single dude with more than one car? Pay up. Do you ride to work on the Google bus? You should pay taxes to San Francisco for the roads and bus stops your privatized mass transportation relies upon. Best of all, we can stop calling the threat to raise taxes on the rich "class warfare" and just start calling it the "douchebag tax." That's a ballot measure we can all get behind!

Of course, some of you are thinking, do we really need a white racial slur? Is not the vision of equality that we should aspire towards a world without the N-word or douchebag? Maybe. Maybe it is. But as everyone who is not colorblind can plainly see, this is not yet that day.

For the time being, this is the vernacular critique of whiteness that we've always needed, and its been right before our eyes all along. The term douchebag, again used as we already use it, has the power to name white ruling class power and white sexist privilege as noxious, selfish, toxic, foolish, and above all, dangerous.

Since the coming of colorblindness as the official ideology of neoliberal racism, we have needed a precise term with which to recognize and ridicule white privilege when we see it. So we here it is. Use it, and give the douchebags the thing they are always imagining anyways: reverse discrimination.

SR

#71 Post by SR » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:00 am

UCLA

wally

#72 Post by wally » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:30 pm

tvrec

#73 Post by tvrec » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERGcYy ... rOtwLWY0is
I tried to embed the video, but for whatever reason, the link won't work right for me. Anyho...
a trailer for the new satire Dear White People at the link above.

Hype

#74 Post by Hype » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:54 pm

tvrec wrote:
I tried to embed the video, but for whatever reason, the link won't work right for me. Anyho...
a trailer for the new satire Dear White People at the link above.
FTFY.

blackcoffee

#75 Post by blackcoffee » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:11 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
blackcoffee wrote:What's really messed up is how many college students don't think racism or race issues are a factor for people anymore. Institutionalized racism is alive and well in our society.
I'm not sure that's true. Pretty much every college kid I've met in the past decade (seriously... I've been in colleges on and off for a decade already.. :scared: ) has been pretty acutely tuned to the systemic and subtle forms of racism that still exist. The only ones I've met who deny it are the stereotypical libertarian/anti-feminist/anti-leftist types who sometimes pop up on campus. A lot of it has shifted to a focus on anti-Arab forms of discrimination, almost certainly because of 9/11 (the reverberating effects of an immediate increase in discrimination is an increased focus on that by those who would have tended to focus on something like it anyway).

It's pretty much de rigueur these days for college kids to be up on the latest injustices... even the ones that aren't really there. :lol:

There's also a subtle backlash....students who believe or want to believe we're in some sort if post racial society. In a brief analysis a student wrote for me he ended it with "when race was a bigger issue in America than it is now." this was shortly after Ferguson. So, they're out there.

Hype

#76 Post by Hype » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:42 pm

There are some pretty fucking dumb undergrads, no doubt.

perkana

#77 Post by perkana » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:59 am

Essence_Smith wrote:ferguson vs pumpkinfest ...glad I didn't see this the wrong way...we hit the street when someone gets hurt and it's a whole different story, but hey, that's America for ya...

That's how media (especially the one who put back PRI in the government) portrays student manifestations.

Essence_Smith

#78 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:46 am

Only a white person could get away with doing anything remotely like this... :nod:

https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-n ... 34583.html

SR

#79 Post by SR » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:55 am

That was beautiful, and if the law as explained by this gent is true, anyone would get away with it.....if not then, eventually. :rockon:

Essence_Smith

#80 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:42 am

SR wrote:That was beautiful, and if the law as explained by this gent is true, anyone would get away with it.....if not then, eventually. :rockon:
I'm good with people checking the cops...but let's be honest about the fact that not all of us can do that without getting hurt...it really is a privilege...

SR

#81 Post by SR » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:51 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
SR wrote:That was beautiful, and if the law as explained by this gent is true, anyone would get away with it.....if not then, eventually. :rockon:
I'm good with people checking the cops...but let's be honest about the fact that not all of us can do that without getting hurt...it really is a privilege...
No, I don't agree here that this is a privilege (of whites); it's a right of all citizens, and will result in different scenarios depending upon the officer and the ability of the citizen to both communicate the law, his/her rights, and the cadence of his/her delivery. A stereotypical 'Bubba' or 'Cletus' very well might have the results you prognosticate for a non white.

Hype

#82 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:34 am

That could've also been staged for that guy's political campaign...

Essence_Smith

#83 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:58 pm

SR wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
No, I don't agree here that this is a privilege (of whites); it's a right of all citizens, and will result in different scenarios depending upon the officer and the ability of the citizen to both communicate the law, his/her rights, and the cadence of his/her delivery. A stereotypical 'Bubba' or 'Cletus' very well might have the results you prognosticate for a non white.
I have seen a black man do something similar when the police tried to arrest his 11 year old son...I forget the state and what laws he quoted exactly, but he hit them with a ton of bricks and they backed off of him and his son...but personally I think they just got tired of him quoting very specific laws and codes...
Adurentibus Spina wrote:That could've also been staged for that guy's political campaign...
:nod:
I can't see NYPD sitting there for that...someone here would have told him to go fuck himself and snatched his camera...

SR

#84 Post by SR » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Ugg. Es, you tend to do this often...'I've personally seen this, therefore it's universally true' thing frequently. I know; I've seen it happen.

Essence_Smith

#85 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:10 am

SR wrote:Ugg. Es, you tend to do this often...'I've personally seen this, therefore it's universally true' thing frequently. I know; I've seen it happen.
I hear you, I am definitely guilty of this from time to time and every now and again I remind myself that because I or anyone else's experience informs a particular outlook it doesn't make it "true"...believe me I'm aware...In this situation do I feel like could a black guy do it? Yes absolutely...it is a possibility...however imo it's unlikely that it would be met with cooperation even if the cop was totally wrong, but it could happen... :wink:

For some reason I just thought of Henry Louis Gates getting arrested in front of his own house... :hehe: