The End Of Moammar Gadhafi's Rule

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Pandemonium

The End Of Moammar Gadhafi's Rule

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:45 pm

So it's End Game time in Libya. It's not even a matter of days before Gadhafi either flees the country, gets captured or killed by rebels or commits suicide. He's even more of a loon than Saddam Hussain was, so I wonder if he's got something up his sleeve for one final act of defiance.....

cashinnowperry

Re: The End Of Moammar Gadhafi's Rule

#2 Post by cashinnowperry » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Adios, you murderous son of a bitch. The only issue here is, who will take over? And can the rebel factions get along? In Egypt a terrorist organization may very well win whatever election they have, and the army has been shaking people down regularly. "Better the devil you know..." comes to mind, but Gadhafi deserves whatever happens to him, and I just hope someone who isn't insane, or some type of level-headed organization, takes over.

Larry B.

#3 Post by Larry B. » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:09 pm

cashinnowperry wrote:who will take over?
I guess we all pretty much know the answer to that.

Hype

#4 Post by Hype » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Allahu Akbar. :banana:

Seriously though, Ghaddafi's a nut. My grandfather worked in Libya in the 60s (in the oil business, of course) and apparently it was weird even then, but because of the oil wealth, we capitulated this whole time (similarly with Saudi, though they seem to cooperate more directly on some things, politically, if not culturally or morally). :no:

The tribal stuff in Libya is weird. I don't think there is even such a thing as "The Libyan people".

cashinnowperry

#5 Post by cashinnowperry » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:33 pm

24 hours later and "Frizz Head" is still on the loose. :waits: Let's hope this doesn't get drawn out.

Yeah, the tribal/ethnic situation is quite bizarre, though that seems to be endemic of much of Africa. Just something else for State Departments to misunderstand, and a huge variable in rebuilding.

Matz

#6 Post by Matz » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:35 am

Its cool that he's gone, next is Kim Jong Ill. Fly over his palace and drop a nuke, it's not that hard.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#7 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:42 am

Matz wrote:Its cool that he's gone, next is Kim Jong Ill. Fly over his palace and drop a nuke, it's not that hard.
Yes, let's start nuking sovereign nations that are not threatening us. Surely that won't come back to haunt us in any possible way.

Larry B.

#8 Post by Larry B. » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:58 am

:lol: @ "threatening us".
The last time the US attacked a group that might have been threatening its country was in 1861.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:00 am

Larry B. wrote::lol: @ "threatening us".
The last time the US attacked a group that might have been threatening its country was in 1861.
I suppose it depends on your definition of "threatening." I certainly don't mean verbally with no means to back it up.

Larry B.

#10 Post by Larry B. » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:14 am

I just think big brother has managed to convince a huge part of the population that anything that happens anywhere in the world can be a threat either to the US' safety or its interests.

How's the Libyan situation threatening America? In no way, save for some unrest in an oily region, which could affect very important business; if such unrest is allowed, other nations' citizens may follow suit.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#11 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:43 am

Larry B. wrote:I just think big brother has managed to convince a huge part of the population that anything that happens anywhere in the world can be a threat either to the US' safety or its interests.

How's the Libyan situation threatening America? In no way, save for some unrest in an oily region, which could affect very important business; if such unrest is allowed, other nations' citizens may follow suit.
I think we're in agreement.

drwintercreeper

#12 Post by drwintercreeper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:27 pm

Larry B. wrote:I just think big brother has managed to convince a huge part of the population that anything that happens anywhere in the world can be a threat either to the US' safety or its interests.

agree. not a threat in the least. but we had to back one horse - directly or indirectly - and we chose the right one. europe was already gonna do it since they would be the ones flooded by refugees - egypt and tunasia would be too, and they are fragile at the moment. we had no interest in backing the colonel and every interest in trying to control the direction of the mass uprisings, so we called the winner early on and made it so... gadafi had few friends in the arab league, and that was the only legitimacy we needed to sell an air war with no ground troops. our best petri dishes are new battlefields. plus the whole pam am guy going free pissed a shitload of people off because of the hero's welcome; that always leaves a bad taste.

obama had no reason to defend gad in the same breath he told hosni mubarak to step aside... and he couldn't just say step down because assad shows that don't go far. but now look where the wave has gone: syria matters for our and israel's interest in weakening iran, and it's only going to keep building on assad. for our foreign policy goals, this has been a pretty fuckin good year... great year.

tunasia and egypt are still being run by the (friendly) old guard, the qataris and the uae are on great terms with us, jordan and saudi are still in the bag, gadafi and assad are fucked or at best uneasy through december, and we're going to have airpower in iraq thru at least next year and 15 more in afghanistan, AND that cock smoker bin laden is in the bottom of the sea. we OWN the middle east and now half of north africa as well.

gotta love business when its going well.

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:48 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:gotta love business when its going well.
Too bad it's bankrupting this country.

drwintercreeper

#14 Post by drwintercreeper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:19 pm

libya isn't bankrupting us... iraq and afghanistan definitely are... but tell that to either party in congress. defense is always the last thing cut. we wont see a softer or different foreign policy any time soon.

Larry B.

#15 Post by Larry B. » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:23 am

The US bankrupted itself... and only because of the wars. They spend heavy on almost everything, except for health, education and welfare for its citizens.

Matz

#16 Post by Matz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:25 am

hokahey wrote:
Matz wrote:Its cool that he's gone, next is Kim Jong Ill. Fly over his palace and drop a nuke, it's not that hard.
Yes, let's start nuking sovereign nations that are not threatening us. Surely that won't come back to haunt us in any possible way.
I was joking of course. I just very much would like to see him gone and I think it's amazing that in this day and age we can have a lunatic like that running a country and breaking every human right there is

Larry B.

#17 Post by Larry B. » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:04 am

Matz wrote:running a country and breaking every human right there is
That is actually the rule in this planet. Northern and Central Europe and Canada (maybe Australia too?) are the exception. Unfortunately.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#18 Post by Hokahey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:05 am

Larry B. wrote:The US bankrupted itself... and only because of the wars. They spend heavy on almost everything, except for health, education and welfare for its citizens.
Wrong.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/

57% of the budget is spent on health, welfare and pensions.

Larry B.

#19 Post by Larry B. » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:28 am

hokahey wrote:
Larry B. wrote:The US bankrupted itself... and only because of the wars. They spend heavy on almost everything, except for health, education and welfare for its citizens.
Wrong.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/

57% of the budget is spent on health, welfare and pensions.
and you believe in that data because... ?
http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/ wrote:source: guesstimated
besides, funding the health, welfare and pension systems doesn't necessarily mean the US citizens will benefit from them.

chaos

#20 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:20 pm

Hokahey
Site Admin

#21 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:53 am

drwintercreeper

#22 Post by drwintercreeper » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:50 pm

so a little off topic... but i read a shitload of news and just wanted to share this one from PressTV, Iran's English language channel... their equivalent of fox news i suppose.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/195750.html

the comments are really all you should read... i love seeing the attitudes on display, the paranoid rivalries going on over in and around the gulf. extremely intriguing / entertaining and scary at the same time. we are such an intensely emotional species.

check it out if you are bored.