obamacare

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
creep
Site Admin

Re: obamacare

#51 Post by creep » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:41 pm

another awesome thing i found out today while doing my taxes. since i wasn't working most of the year i cashed some investments in and that counts as income so now i have to pay back the assistance i got. there goes $1300.

i went from liking this plan to not liking it so much. now my friends can't give me shit like they were when they were telling me that they were paying for my health insurance.

Hype

#52 Post by Hype » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:14 am

Doesn't that seem like a good thing, in general, though? So that people who have enough wealth don't get to take money from the affordable care system just because they might be (temporarily) unemployed? It still helped you temporarily, right?

This is why a single-payer insurance system is better: everyone gets to use it, regardless of income/wealth, etc., so it provides affordable baseline health coverage.

But the Republicans didn't even want the act in the first place, so you guys got stuck with a weird Romney-Care Act.

creep
Site Admin

#53 Post by creep » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:56 am

it's not fair if it takes money out of my pocket.

so i was paying $322 a month for the lowest medical plan that has a $5000 deductible that i have to pay before it kicks in at 60% coverage.

before the healthcare act i was paying $150 for the same coverage. with the assistance i was paying basically the same. now without it i am paying double what it was.

Hype

#54 Post by Hype » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:41 am

creep wrote:it's not fair if it takes money out of my pocket.

so i was paying $322 a month for the lowest medical plan that has a $5000 deductible that i have to pay before it kicks in at 60% coverage.

before the healthcare act i was paying $150 for the same coverage. with the assistance i was paying basically the same. now without it i am paying double what it was.
I see. Well, like I said, I think the system should have been set up as a single-payer federal insurer, but the marketplace scheme that they've created, combined with the "if you like your plan you can keep it" half-truth... means that probably not everyone will save money compared to what they were paying if they had insurance before the ACA...

Is your insurer private? If so, then it's them, not the ACA that I'd blame... Because it doesn't seem like anyone's forced to raise the deductibles/contribution minimums, etc., unless they just care about profits... which I'd guess is what this is about. I think the idea was supposed to be that you should be able to shop around for a better plan, and that this would incentivize lowering of rates... but that doesn't seem to have happened yet... maybe because people aren't shopping around enough. :noclue:

blackcoffee

#55 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:03 pm

I heard on NPR the other day (so it must be true) that the plan Obama got passed is more conservative than Romney's plan where he was governor and the plan Nixon wanted to roll out.