Ayotzinapa killing and missing students

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
kv

Re: Ayotzinapa killing and missing students

#21 Post by kv » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:52 am

this has been a perk news moment! more tomorrow same time, same channel!

perkana

#22 Post by perkana » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:43 am

fuck you kv! :lol:
But yeah, I hope to post pictures from today's march soon.

perkana

#23 Post by perkana » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:33 pm

I think I made it just in time, just for you kv.

kv

#24 Post by kv » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:37 pm

i was growing worried :bigrin:

perkana

#25 Post by perkana » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:57 pm

"Why, why, why do you kill us, if we are the hope of Latin America"
https://soundcloud.com/perkana/consignas-metro-rosario

perkana

#26 Post by perkana » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:52 am

More than one month after 43 Ayotzinapa students were kidnapped by the Iguala police, in the Mexican state of Guerrero, President Enrique Peña Nieto has requested Congress grant him permission to leave the country to visit China and Australia.
Peña Nieto, according to a request submitted by the Foreign Affairs secretary to the Senate, will travel to China and Australia from November 7 to 17. However, he has not visited Iguala...
Peña Nieto's tour in China will be a state visit and in Australia he will participate in the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation meeting.
http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/M ... -0045.html
I really hope people in China and Australia do some demonstrations against his visits.
Also, on Wednesday Peña Nieto met the parents of the missing students. Two videos have been circulating around the net. In one of them, one parent ends his speech by shouting "Who took our children? The police officers. The State"
http://www.jornada.unam.mx/ultimas/2014 ... -7143.html

perkana

#27 Post by perkana » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:59 pm

According to Attorney General Jesús Murillo Karam, even with the discovery of body parts, the case of the missing students is far from closed.
Mexico’s Attorney General, Jesús Murillo Karam, informed that the 43 students who disappeared in Ayotzinapa are still considered missing, at least until the end of the investigations.
Murillo Karam presented details about another line of investigation about the disappearance of the students on September 26 in Iguala.
At a press conference, he pointed out that so far the investigation has not given any definite results and said that there is no evidence that the students had been aides or members of the criminal group Guerreros Unidos.
The Attorney General also presented a series of videos were some of their presumed killers detail how they dragged bodies, and even some people alive, to be incinerated in a garbage dump.
He added that, so far, the arrests and subsequent declaration and confessions point out to the fact that a big number of people were killed in the area of Cocula the night the students disappeared.
According to the testimony of the suspects, they delivered a group of people to the garbage dump in Cocula, and 15 of them were already dead because of asphyxiation in the cramped truck on which they were taken to the place.
Afterwards, the say that they covered the bodies with wood and tires and then sprinkled them with gasoline and diesel.
Then, the ashes were collected in eighth black garbage bags and disposed in nearby San Juan river.
Murillo Karam said that they authorities checked the river and found the remains of the bags, and even one of them with ashes and bones, identified as human by forensic experts.
According to the experts, the fire damage had been so extensive that the identification of the remains will be difficult and the lab of an Austrian university will try to help identify the mitochondrial DNA of the body parts.

perkana

#28 Post by perkana » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:02 pm

A very touching video of the march that I attended on Wednesday. It pretty much summarizes what I've written in this thread. P.S. you have to watch it on YouTube to see the subtitles.

perkana

#29 Post by perkana » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:51 pm

A review of the rural school from where these students came and Guerrero's situation.
But why kill innocent students? For the simple reason that their political demonstrations, civic protests and revolutionary idealism are bad for business. A man who has been arrested for his involvement in the tragedy added another reason: “Because they are unruly.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/10/opini ... agedy.html

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:48 pm

I know there have been killings and mass-graves found in the past, but I don't know enough about this case to know whether this is something that indicates that the government of Mexico is failing at the most basic level -- failing to provide the sort of protection a basic civil authority is supposed to provide in exchange for the citizens giving up certain natural rights (like the right to murder people to take what they have or to prevent them from infringing on your interests). Does it seem like this might lead to more violence, perkana?

perkana

#31 Post by perkana » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:41 am

This is more like murder by the Estate. How the federal government wanted to link these massacres to only as a fight between crime groups (just like in Tlatlaya http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/09/26/ine ... 28587.html. Now the government of the State of Mexico wants to indemnify the victims families. ) How they keep covering soldiers and police officers who worked together with these groups in these massacres. And how they keep trying to close down this case without waiting for any scientific evidence. They just did it in a lousy and cowardly way, so EPN could leave the country and clean up his image during his visit in China and Australia. I don't think there will be murders or violence more than usual. The demonstrations so far have been very peaceful, even though some people keep suffering repression by the police. Last Saturday more than 20 people were beaten and sent to jail after one of those demonstrations. There are groups paid by the government that do violent stuff like robbing stores, breaking windows or like last Saturday, burning the National Palace's entrance door. The government keeps trying to link these groups with the civic movement.
We are not frightened anymore, so the demonstrations will keep going until they give us satisfying results in their findings.

perkana

#32 Post by perkana » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Just because I know kv worries about me, I went today to my second march. There were actually 3 marches today and all of them met at El Zócalo (our main square). I got there early. I haven't heard the news yet, but students were already being repressed near the airport. Before I left, there were some fireworks. Dunno if they were from the good guys or the bad guys, they were not Molotov bombs though.
This is how some buildings looked like. Yeah, board them up, since we're the ones burning stuff :eyes:
People arriving to El Zócalo
"What does a country that plants bodies, harvest?"
"Are you going to wait until they disappear one of your own to do something?"
One of those bombs or fireworks
More people arriving...
People printing signs and giving them away
"Mexico...it was the State"

perkana

#33 Post by perkana » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:14 pm

perkana

#34 Post by perkana » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:20 pm

Just read that after the majority of protesters left, the anti-mutiny officers were aggressive to the ones who remained at El Zócalo. Fuckers...
A longer video of today's protest (older dude is American so some parts are in English)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2apct ... deo-1_news

guysmiley

#35 Post by guysmiley » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:43 am

Stay safe. :wave:

perkana

#36 Post by perkana » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:23 am

I will, buddy :wave:

perkana

#37 Post by perkana » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:07 pm

How El Zócalo was violently evacuated. The guys you see throwing stuff at the anti mutiny cops are provocateurs paid by the government.

Eleven innocent people were sent to jail while lots others (young and old males and females) were injured.

perkana

#38 Post by perkana » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:55 pm

“The evidence against the 11 protesters is so thin that it is incredibly hard to understand why they are still in detention, let alone in high-security facilities and treated as ‘high value criminals’. Such acts raise the question of whether there is a deliberate attempt to discourage legitimate protests,” said Erika Guevara Rosas, Americas Director at Amnesty International. It IS a deliberate attempt to discourage protests. EPN made a threat in a speech 2 or 3 days before the protests of last week. Saying some violent people wanted to destabilize the country and spoil his project for the nation.
One of the jailed protesters comes from Chile (he's a doctoral student at UNAM).
http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/mexico-d ... 2014-11-27

Hype

#39 Post by Hype » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:55 am

Hey Perkana, I thought you might find this heartening: http://dailynous.com/2014/11/28/philoso ... -students/
Over a month has passed since the forced disappearance of the normalistas (student teachers) of the Raúl Isidro Burgos Rural Teachers College of Ayotzinapa, and still 43 remain missing.

On September 26, members of the Iguala municipal police and the Guerreros Unidos drug cartel ambushed the caravan of students as they traveled by bus within their home state of Guerrero, Mexico. The students were headed back to Ayotzinapa after collecting donations for school supplies in the nearby city of Iguala.

After a series of attacks, six people lay dead, several students fled, and dozens more were seen taken away in police vehicles. The six dead include three normalistas, as well as a bus driver named Víctor Manuel Lugo Ortiz, a 15-year-old soccer player named David Josué García Evangelista, and a woman traveling in a nearby cab named Blanca Montiel Sánchez.

The three students confirmed dead include 19-year-old Julio César Mondragón, who after running away on his own the night of the attack, was later found on September 30, his face skinned and eyes removed.
That account is from an October 30th article in the PanAm Post. Since its publication, the remains of the 43 missing students are believed to have been found, and they have been declared dead by Mexican authorities.

Philosophers at the Institute for Philosophical Research, UNAM have written a manifesto demanding government accountability and justice for the 43 missing Ayotzinapa students. They are calling on the international academic and artistic community to sign it. You can read the document here (in English, French, and Spanish) and sign it by entering your information in the box near the top of the page, on the right side.

Here is an excerpt:
We propose that the movement concentrates its forces around the following concrete demands:

a) The full and detailed clarification of the crimes committed in Tlatlaya and Ayotzinapa, including and explanation regarding what allowed these atrocities to happen and, of course, the punishment of all the criminals involved directly or indirectly in all orders and modes of participation. Justice should be fully served.

b) Urgent measures should be taken to effectively deal with the social, political and moral decay that has given place to the reign of organized crime (in the broadest possible sense) in the country, measures that may effectively preclude the recurrence of such horrific crimes. Among these measures we should expect: (i) the establishment of a citizenship-based supervising mechanism that may overlook the candidacies proposed by political parties; (ii) the prompt satisfaction of the recommendation that the UN Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances addressed to the Mexican Government in 2011; (iii) the public exhibition, and citizenship-based supervision, of the guidelines under which members of the police and the military are implicitly or explicitly taught and trained.

c) Urgent measures to fight back impunity, that spreading disease in the country that is the breeding grounds for new crimes. There must be clear signs that the more than 22, 000 cases of disappeared people in the country have priority under the government’s security policy.

d) The commitment from the government to categorically respect the right to protest of the Mexican citizenry, without promoting confusion and direct or indirect invitations to repression. This commitment must include the destitution of the authorities that partake, promote or tolerate unjustified acts of public force. In particular, we demand the immediate release of all the students and people arbitrarily detained in Mexico City during the ‘Global Action for Ayotzinapa’ of November 20th.
My profession is aware of, and worried about, the situation.

perkana

#40 Post by perkana » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks Hipey. I've been thinking about when you asked me if I thought more violence was going to happen because of this. We have not only seen abuse during demonstrations, more testimonies have been coming out lately. Recently, a young woman shared pictures of bruises she got after being abused by cops. She was walking home when some cops started following her and stopped her because they thought she was suspicious for running away from them. They were yelling lewd comments at her. One of them put her against a wall and fondled her breasts and thighs. I'm afraid we're back to 1968. Our city used to be safe since the late 90's, but not anymore. Our mayor is under EPN's orders.

perkana

#41 Post by perkana » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Forgot to mention that yesterday EPN made a big deal about getting a number for emergencies after what has happened :eyes:
The only good thing about that has been the tons of memes derived from it.
"Sometimes I want to call 911and then I remember that the police is the one who kidnaps me and murders me"

SR

#42 Post by SR » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:26 pm

haven't commented here because I believe the solution is impossible. Sorry Perk

perkana

#43 Post by perkana » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:25 pm

There is one, not a peaceful one. But there is.

perkana

#44 Post by perkana » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:59 pm

Soldiers are getting inside universities, looking for people who have participated in demonstrations for the missing students. This is nothing new. Same thing happened back in 68. The difference now is that people use social media to upload videos like the next one:

This young man has been an activist ever since EPN became a presidential candidate (the student movement Yo soy 132, look for it online).
His mom said that there is a network of parents who help each other and when one of their kids is picked up by cops, they move as fast as they can to know where they are sent so they can be released. Sandino was picked up around 5 pm near a subway station yesterday. He was released by midnight thanks to this video. Amnesty International is asking for the release of the eleven protestors and the UN has been involved too. So sorry SR, but I disagree with you. You just don't know what we've been through.

perkana

#45 Post by perkana » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:50 am