74 School Shootings in 18 Months

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Artemis

Re: 74 School Shootings in 18 Months

#141 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Here we go again...active shooter...developing story.

Active shooter has taken hostages at largest veterans’ home in U.S.

An active shooter has taken hostages at the nation's largest retirement home for veterans, according to law enforcement and emergency response personnel.

Napa County Fire Captain Chase Beckman told the Associated Press that a gunman has taken hostages at the Veterans Home of California in Yountville, less than ten miles north of Napa. It’s the largest veterans’ home in the U.S. with about 1,000 aged or disabled veterans, according to the California Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

California Highway Patrol, which is responding to the situation, confirmed to the local ABC News affiliate that an active shooter situation was underway, and the retirement home told ABC that three hostages are being held.

kv

#142 Post by kv » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Ever 50 seconds someone dies from a drunk driver

Couple weeks back Id just returned home after playing music.. just after 2am and as I open my taco Bell bag I feel an explosion go off...my house is one block off a decent sized street...I car had bombed into a building directly behind my house after losing control...my rear balcony over looked (my house has a retaining wall that drops down to the next block) the scene of panic as people stopped and tried to help before quickly seeing that one person was gruesomely killed....( I used to live one house from a bigger street and played field paramedic prob a dozen times in my time there, this would have been a block run and plenty of people were there within seconds...still was far more sickening watching instead of just helping) anyway high school senior girl died...her driver was drunk...abc had a reporter there for two minutes..end of story

I get with a nut with a gun intent is different then a drunk but just saying...300+ million people...innocent people die all day long

kv

#143 Post by kv » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:17 pm

Artemis wrote:Here we go again...active shooter...developing story.

Active shooter has taken hostages at largest veterans’ home in U.S.

An active shooter has taken hostages at the nation's largest retirement home for veterans, according to law enforcement and emergency response personnel.

Napa County Fire Captain Chase Beckman told the Associated Press that a gunman has taken hostages at the Veterans Home of California in Yountville, less than ten miles north of Napa. It’s the largest veterans’ home in the U.S. with about 1,000 aged or disabled veterans, according to the California Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

California Highway Patrol, which is responding to the situation, confirmed to the local ABC News affiliate that an active shooter situation was underway, and the retirement home told ABC that three hostages are being held.
Gun laws not working... veterans home...ptsd vet breaking all kinds of laws....if only he had just obeyed them...must need new laws

nausearockpig

#144 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:53 pm

KV makes good points.

SR

#145 Post by SR » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:44 am

:lol:

nausearockpig

#146 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:13 am

Which is not to say that the number and frequency of gun deaths is at an acceptable level.

Hype

#147 Post by Hype » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:35 am

They're not good points, though I understand why KV is making them.

For one thing, the "laws punish responsible people" is either applicable to all laws that require consideration or constraints on all of us, or it isn't. If it is, then this is effectively an argument for anarchy (which is self-defeating). If it isn't, then a principled distinction between the laws that are punishing responsible people and the ones that aren't has to be made, and I don't think it's at all obvious (especially in the case of guns).

For another thing, the argument that existing laws are not working just in case there are violations of them is absurd. And it's even worse to say that we should get rid of laws or not have further laws just because existing laws are being violated or flouted. The purpose of laws is not to force 100% compliance. Laws provide a framework for organized meting out of justice. This argument is just a non-sequitur that if taken seriously would also bottom out in anarchy.

SR

#148 Post by SR » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:45 am

Off to the march. :thumb: