74 School Shootings in 18 Months

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Artemis

Re: 74 School Shootings in 18 Months

#141 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Here we go again...active shooter...developing story.

Active shooter has taken hostages at largest veterans’ home in U.S.

An active shooter has taken hostages at the nation's largest retirement home for veterans, according to law enforcement and emergency response personnel.

Napa County Fire Captain Chase Beckman told the Associated Press that a gunman has taken hostages at the Veterans Home of California in Yountville, less than ten miles north of Napa. It’s the largest veterans’ home in the U.S. with about 1,000 aged or disabled veterans, according to the California Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

California Highway Patrol, which is responding to the situation, confirmed to the local ABC News affiliate that an active shooter situation was underway, and the retirement home told ABC that three hostages are being held.

kv

#142 Post by kv » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Ever 50 seconds someone dies from a drunk driver

Couple weeks back Id just returned home after playing music.. just after 2am and as I open my taco Bell bag I feel an explosion go off...my house is one block off a decent sized street...I car had bombed into a building directly behind my house after losing control...my rear balcony over looked (my house has a retaining wall that drops down to the next block) the scene of panic as people stopped and tried to help before quickly seeing that one person was gruesomely killed....( I used to live one house from a bigger street and played field paramedic prob a dozen times in my time there, this would have been a block run and plenty of people were there within seconds...still was far more sickening watching instead of just helping) anyway high school senior girl died...her driver was drunk...abc had a reporter there for two minutes..end of story

I get with a nut with a gun intent is different then a drunk but just saying...300+ million people...innocent people die all day long

kv

#143 Post by kv » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:17 pm

Artemis wrote:Here we go again...active shooter...developing story.

Active shooter has taken hostages at largest veterans’ home in U.S.

An active shooter has taken hostages at the nation's largest retirement home for veterans, according to law enforcement and emergency response personnel.

Napa County Fire Captain Chase Beckman told the Associated Press that a gunman has taken hostages at the Veterans Home of California in Yountville, less than ten miles north of Napa. It’s the largest veterans’ home in the U.S. with about 1,000 aged or disabled veterans, according to the California Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

California Highway Patrol, which is responding to the situation, confirmed to the local ABC News affiliate that an active shooter situation was underway, and the retirement home told ABC that three hostages are being held.
Gun laws not working... veterans home...ptsd vet breaking all kinds of laws....if only he had just obeyed them...must need new laws

nausearockpig

#144 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:53 pm

KV makes good points.

SR

#145 Post by SR » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:44 am

:lol:

nausearockpig

#146 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:13 am

Which is not to say that the number and frequency of gun deaths is at an acceptable level.

Hype

#147 Post by Hype » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:35 am

They're not good points, though I understand why KV is making them.

For one thing, the "laws punish responsible people" is either applicable to all laws that require consideration or constraints on all of us, or it isn't. If it is, then this is effectively an argument for anarchy (which is self-defeating). If it isn't, then a principled distinction between the laws that are punishing responsible people and the ones that aren't has to be made, and I don't think it's at all obvious (especially in the case of guns).

For another thing, the argument that existing laws are not working just in case there are violations of them is absurd. And it's even worse to say that we should get rid of laws or not have further laws just because existing laws are being violated or flouted. The purpose of laws is not to force 100% compliance. Laws provide a framework for organized meting out of justice. This argument is just a non-sequitur that if taken seriously would also bottom out in anarchy.

SR

#148 Post by SR » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:45 am

Off to the march. :thumb:

SR

#149 Post by SR » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:25 pm

Hype wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:35 am
They're not good points, though I understand why KV is making them.

For one thing, the "laws punish responsible people" is either applicable to all laws that require consideration or constraints on all of us, or it isn't. If it is, then this is effectively an argument for anarchy (which is self-defeating). If it isn't, then a principled distinction between the laws that are punishing responsible people and the ones that aren't has to be made, and I don't think it's at all obvious (especially in the case of guns).

For another thing, the argument that existing laws are not working just in case there are violations of them is absurd. And it's even worse to say that we should get rid of laws or not have further laws just because existing laws are being violated or flouted. The purpose of laws is not to force 100% compliance. Laws provide a framework for organized meting out of justice. This argument is just a non-sequitur that if taken seriously would also bottom out in anarchy.
:rockon:

nausearockpig

#150 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:42 am

And the massacres keep on happening. Jesus fucking Christ.

Artemis

#151 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:56 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:42 am
And the massacres keep on happening. Jesus fucking Christ.
Yeah, wtf?? Another one early this morning in Dayton, OH (9 dead and and several injured, shooter killed)

:no:

nausearockpig

#152 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:17 am

I’m sure there will be many thoughts and prayers sent the victims’ ways.

SR

#153 Post by SR » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:20 am

I am completely impervious to it now. Sandy Hook really changed me, and I thought it would change the disposition of the people of this country with respect to common sense legislation. No. Stephen Paddock was an undeniable marker of the American nature of it all. White, upper middle class, educated, and male....and NO discernable political or bigoted motivation. The methodical nature of that attack down to the mathematics of trajectory, the sheer volume of military long guns in the hotel room, and the number of victims...I thought that might move people. No. I feel nothing, except real embarrassment at the limited repeated words after every single mass murder....God bless, We are better, We will not be defined by this, Mental illness needs to be addressed, blah, blah, blah. At least there was a real new twist yesterday....the mayor of El Paso turned on his own saying this was not an El Pasoan....that no one from El Paso would commit such an atrocity. :lolol: No response from the people of Allen.

I feel nothing.

Hype

#154 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:23 am

Guns kill people.

kv

#155 Post by kv » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:57 pm

People kill people

MYXYLPLYX

#156 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:01 pm

Hype wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:23 am
Guns kill people.

:waits:

Guns are inanimate objects Hype... they can't kill anyone.

Now, violent video games on the other hand... those need to be under lock and key, if not banned outright!

Also, more God in schools, and no more drag queen advocacy, something something mental health, social media blah, blah, blah.... more dead kids.

Artemis

#157 Post by Artemis » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Up here in the "6" we've had a lot of gun violence over the last 3 days- 12 shootings! What the fuck is going on?? :no:

Hype

#158 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:06 pm

Artemis wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:26 pm
Up here in the "6" we've had a lot of gun violence over the last 3 days- 12 shootings! What the fuck is going on?? :no:
Heat causes murder. Hot and sunny? Murder happens.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/21/upsh ... ather.html

Larry B.

#159 Post by Larry B. » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:00 am

I read something that struck a chord with me, even if it’s just a effectist phrase: Sandy Hook was a key moment in US history, when American society accepted by default that dozens of dead children is still a fair price to pay for ‘gun freedom.’

chaos

#160 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:39 am

In Ohio, the guy was able to hit 36 people in 30 seconds. I am so sick of people who keep saying you can do just as much damage in a short time with something else (i.e. bomb, car, blah, blah, blah) as a reason for NOT TRYING to do something/something else/something new about keeping high capacity weapons/magazines away from average joe civilians.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-w ... story.html
Connor Betts, 24, was armed with a .223-caliber rifle with magazines capable of holding at least 100 rounds of ammunition and squeezed off dozens of shots before he was gunned down no more than 30 seconds after his rampage began, Police Chief Richard Biehl said.
Mayor Nan Whaley said at least 27 more people were treated for injuries ...

"Feral Hogs" was trending yesterday on twitter because of some asinine response for why a high capacity gun is needed:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... 1565061608

Evan Wood, an editor for Missouri Life magazine who has covered hog problems in his state, told the Guardian: “They are actually a huge problem, both on private property and public lands. They live in groups (called sounders) of up to 60 hogs. They are very harmful for farmers because when they eat, they upturn the ground to get things out.”

According to estimates from the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), feral hogs cause $1.5bn in damage nationwide every year. Meanwhile, the Missouri Department of Conservation has declared feral hogs “invasive pests that need to be eliminated from Missouri” that can “destroy a crop field in a single night”.

Does this mean Americans should have access to high-powered rifles to deal with the problem, as McNabb seems to suggest?

Wood says no. “If you go after them with a gun your chances of getting all of them at once are pretty much nil, even if there are only like 10 of them,” he says. “So the ones that survive often scatter, and because of how quickly they can breed, that creates more groups and impacts new land. Plus a lot of times they’ll end up coming back.”

From GQ
https://www.gq.com/story/hogblog

The absurdity of the question, coupled with the realization that these were the sorts of baldfaced arguments sincerely being used to block laws that prevent gun violence, made it perfect fodder to take off as a meme. A gleefully silly, deliriously dumb meme that spread much like...30-50 feral hogs in a yard . . .
After laughing like an idiot at all of these for three to five hours, I could not shake the idea that swarms of feral hogs were invading yards throughout America. So I reached out to the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission to learn more about the hogs themselves. Keith Stephens, a spokesperson for the commission, kindly answered my questions via email. For starters, groups of feral hogs are known as sounders, though it’s unlikely that sounders are comprised of 30-50 hogs. “I guess it's possible, but that's very large,” Stephens said. “The typical size we see is usually less than 20.”

They do carry a risk, to be sure. “Mostly they destroy residential yards, agricultural crops, native habitat and ecosystems,” he explained. “They've also been known to destroy cultural and historical sites such as cemeteries. They can carry diseases such as swine brucellosis and pseudorabies.”

And as for what to do if you’re set upon by 30-50 feral hogs? “If you're in Arkansas, the best way to handle this is to contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services or the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission.”

SR

#161 Post by SR » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:46 am

Larry B. wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:00 am
I read something that struck a chord with me, even if it’s just a effectist phrase: Sandy Hook was a key moment in US history, when American society accepted by default that dozens of dead children is still a fair price to pay for ‘gun freedom.’
Unfortunately, Sandy Hook wasn't transformative.It was revelatory

chaos

#163 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:56 am

The US apparently has problems other countries don't have to deal with: Feral hogs invading the backyards of families with children, and bears roaming around school districts looking for pyramids of grain.

Matz

#164 Post by Matz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:56 am

Iceland number 10!? wtf, surprising, I would have thought they'd have the same regulations about guns as we do, here it's impossible to get a gun.

SR

#165 Post by SR » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:38 pm

We're less than 5% of the world's population and we own over 40% of the guns (statistically)....more as we don't track them. Carry on! Nothing to see here :eyes: