74 School Shootings in 18 Months

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Bandit72

Re: 74 School Shootings in 18 Months

#41 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:45 pm

Romeo wrote:Image
Which is really weird as the constitution was laid out after the Angel Gabriel flew down to tell Mohammed how Allah wanted everyone to live.

:hs:

mockbee

#42 Post by mockbee » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:38 pm

Some residents lined up in front of the airport in Roseburg, Ore., to protest President Obama’s visit to the town on Friday. Others had signs proclaiming, “Welcome Obama.”
What's wrong with these people....? :scared: :no:

There is something truly messed up in America. I was making my way through Oregon this week and numerous occasions I saw citizens with handguns openly displayed on their person. WTF is wrong with these people? Maybe I should take Ben Carson's advice and tackle them before they do anyone harm. How do I know what their intentions are.......? :noclue:

nausearockpig

#43 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:49 pm

I'm paraphrasing but I like a quote I read somewhere that says "your children's lives are worth less than the money involved with guns". You're all fucked. You're NEVER going to give up or reconsider the necessity for your "right to bear arms" and as such your children and other loved ones will continue to die in these (mostly) avoidable and completely senseless massacres.

Hype

#44 Post by Hype » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:03 pm

nausearockpig wrote:I'm paraphrasing but I like a quote I read somewhere that says "your children's lives are worth less than the money involved with guns". You're all fucked. You're NEVER going to give up or reconsider the necessity for your "right to bear arms" and as such your children and other loved ones will continue to die in these (mostly) avoidable and completely senseless massacres.
You say that like the United States won't cease to exist at some point like every country ever.

mockbee

#45 Post by mockbee » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:34 pm

Hype wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:I'm paraphrasing but I like a quote I read somewhere that says "your children's lives are worth less than the money involved with guns". You're all fucked. You're NEVER going to give up or reconsider the necessity for your "right to bear arms" and as such your children and other loved ones will continue to die in these (mostly) avoidable and completely senseless massacres.
You say that like the United States won't cease to exist at some point like every country ever.
That's actually the more concerning point.

Yes, these are senseless massacres and something must be done about it, but they affect such a minuscule percentage of the population. In the US there are about 11,500 homicides and accidental deaths each year using guns, and about 20,000 suicides. Vehicles are far, far more dangerous for people not intending to die, over 35,000 deaths each year.

My concern is with these morons who don't seem to understand that a society requires a government with laws that advocate a shared responsibility to function properly, and we can't just pretend we live in the wild west anymore.

nausearockpig

#46 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:08 pm

I see a couple more unrelated and separate shootings over the past few days resulting in deaths from one of them..

Yeah gun lobbyists, you're right.... no reforms are required at all....

mockbee

#47 Post by mockbee » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:20 pm

We need much, much more than reforms. We need a new ethos.

Who are we, what are we trying to do and what are we really afraid of?

creep
Site Admin

#48 Post by creep » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:24 pm

nausearockpig wrote:I see a couple more unrelated and separate shootings over the past few days resulting in deaths from one of them..

Yeah gun lobbyists, you're right.... no reforms are required at all....

well the focus is on them now since it's all over the news.

a couple days ago one of the guys that stopped that paris train attack was stabbed multiple times here where i live. at least they didn't have guns i guess. :noclue:

Hype

#49 Post by Hype » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:25 pm

I think it makes way more sense to just be realistic. You can approach these problems from all angles. Teach kids differently (this requires curriculum change), change existing regulations to require, among other things, more safety training and licensing (this is called "gun control" but it's perfectly feasible), change the way guns can be bought and sold, change the way they can be marketed, change the way they are portrayed in media (this may not require legislation, but the prior two probably do).

People get old and die. Why replace them with people who have the same stupidities if we can figure out how not to?

guysmiley

#50 Post by guysmiley » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:43 am

My grandparents and aunt live in Roseburg. I can tell you, there is a lot of poverty, poor education and rednecks there. I haven't met too many people who made it out of that city not pregnant at 17, or on meth. The place makes me sad when I visit. When I was a kid I enjoyed it. But, just to see my grandparents.

None of these reactions surprise me. Sad, probably the first president to ever visit that town and they're afraid of him taking their guns. I doubt anyone wants anything to do with it. The guns there are mostly from hunters anyways. The drugs dealers there are scary maybe.

mockbee

#51 Post by mockbee » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:57 pm

They have already just ousted two solid conservatives for Speaker of the House and look to be getting one of their own to be second in line for President....

Don't know where any legislation involving gun control can even be considered, let alone be put up for a vote. Hillary isn't going to touch it. There would be apoplectic rage if Obama actually does anything that would be relatively ineffective anyways.......:noclue:

Oh... Sheriff Hanlin of Douglas County said he would not enforce any legislation that curtailed gun ownership or increased regulation and has publicly suggested that Sandy Hook and 9/11 were hoaxes put on by the government to stoke calls for gun control.

nausearockpig

#52 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:17 pm

holy fuck, you're all fucked.

Artemis

#53 Post by Artemis » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:43 pm

I generally DO agree with Michael Moore, but I think he's wrong on this one. NOTHING will change the lust for guns in America. :sad:

mockbee

#54 Post by mockbee » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:03 pm

I thought this was an excellent account, harrowing......

A survivor’s life

Another mass shooting was over. The country had moved on. But inside one house in Oregon, a family was discovering the unending extent of a wound.

ROSEBURG, Ore. — She approached her daughter just as the doctors and psychologists had suggested: calmly, deliberately, stepping on the carpet so the floorboards didn’t squeak, picking her way around the wheelchair, the walker, the sagging balloons and wilted flowers. She held her arms out in front where her daughter could see them. She announced her arrival so as not to surprise her. “It’s just me, your mom,” she said, and then she reached out to place a reassuring hand on her daughter’s back, making sure to touch below the bullet wound and away from the incision.

“I was thinking, if you’re ready for it, maybe I’d make a quick run to the store,” said Bonnie Schaan, 52.

“Wait. For how long?” asked Cheyeanne Fitzgerald, 16.

“Not long. Are you ready to be alone? I’m not sure.”

It had been 20 days since the last time Bonnie left Cheyeanne by herself — 20 days since she was shot along with 15 others in a classroom at Umpqua Community College. Nine people were killed that day, adding to the hundreds of Americans who have died in mass shootings in recent years. And seven people were wounded but didn’t die, joining the ever-expanding ranks of mass-shooting survivors. There are thousands of them. Fifty-eight gunshot survivors at the movie theater in Aurora, Colo. Three at the Washington Navy Yard. One at a church in Charleston, S.C. Nine in Colorado Springs. Twenty-one in San Bernardino, Calif. And seven more in Roseburg, Ore., where Cheyeanne had been sent home from the hospital to a flea-infested rental with reinforced locks and curtains darkening the living room.

A doctor had given her a booklet called “Creating a Safe Space to Recover,” and Bonnie had taken a break from waitressing to become a full-time caregiver. She had turned a $5 garage-sale recliner into Cheyeanne’s hospital bed and posted a sign on their front door: “No loud noises! Please do NOT knock.” She had set her alarm for every four hours to bring Cheyeanne her medicines and anything else that might make her feel safe again. Here came more Percocet to numb the pain and anti-anxieties to ease her panic attacks. Here came her purple blanket, her new puppy and her condolence letter from President Obama. Here came the old Little League baseball bats she wanted nearby for protection and the rifle she had used to kill her first deer.

“I’m talking about five minutes,” Bonnie said. “We need juice and ice.”

“Fine. Go,” Cheyeanne said.

She had been the youngest one shot on just her fourth day of college, and she was also one of the survivors in the worst shape: Lung punctured. Kidney pierced. Ribs cracked. Nerves compressed. Stomach stapled. Abdominals torn. She couldn’t yet sleep flat in bed, or walk unassisted, or do much of anything beyond lie in the recliner on her left side. “Very lucky, considering,” was what she had been told by one trauma medic, who specialized in treating soldiers after combat. But Cheyeanne had signed up for Writing 115, not a war, and the idea of luck hadn’t occurred to her yet..............

continued...very long, but powerful, article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/nation ... vors-life/

Bandit72

#55 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:31 am

I did lol at a couple of these. Especially at the guy who looks down the barrel of his gun.

Hype

#56 Post by Hype » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:31 am

Just FYI Bandit, at least one of those is fake. Guns don't go off when they hit the ground. (And notice, no recoil...)

Bandit72

#57 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:39 am

Hype wrote:Just FYI Bandit, at least one of those is fake. Guns don't go off when they hit the ground. (And notice, no recoil...)
Which is why it is from 'Spam' TV...

nausearockpig

#58 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:53 pm

Here's a fucking idea: How about the people of the USA stand up and make the NRA responsible for controlling (read that as "stopping") the gun deaths in the USA?

Ganondorf

#59 Post by Ganondorf » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:53 pm

"This country has a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem"

i have some guns

i don't shoot anyone :bigrin:

nausearockpig

#60 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:02 am

Ganondorf wrote:"This country has a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem"

i have some guns

Does that country have more of a mental health problem per capita than any other developed country?

Ganondorf

#61 Post by Ganondorf » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:21 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Ganondorf wrote:"This country has a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem"

i have some guns

Does that country have more of a mental health problem per capita than any other developed country?
yes Image

"Here's a fucking idea: How about the people of the USA stand up and make the NRA responsible for controlling (read that as "stopping") the gun deaths in the USA?"

the people of the US should make the NRA responsible for stopping the gun deaths? :lol: :lolol: :confused: what?

what grade are you in? :hs:

nausearockpig

#62 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:40 am

Jesus. I didn't think it was too hard a concept to grasp. Was I too subtle? Let me help you out.

The idea behind that broad and simplistic comment was to comment that it's clear that nobody in the USA is taking any action against, or responsibility at all for, the gun violence. Nor is anyone seemingly able to halt the violence you're all getting used to.

So, how about the body that is pro-gun be put in charge of halting the violence? Surely there are some big brains in the NRA that can help combat gun violence with say, some rules, enforcement of said rules, cleaning the streets of illegal guns, organizing regular mental health checks for gun owners ( ooh imagine the revenue generated from that?!?!?) ?

What is so wrong about that idea? Is it because if the NRA was held to task, with the possibility of things not going its way should it fail to curb violence that its members would be required to concede and hand back weapons?

Or maybe it's just OK to want & to have the guns* but managing them is "someone else's responsibility"?

BTW if as you say, the USA is rife with mental illness, and if it's a problem that's out of control, why on Bob's Green Earth would anyone not want to lock down who has access to guns?

*why do you all need them? I know it's in your constitution to bear arms against a govt that turns on its people( or whatever the wording is) but a) surely that's not a thing anymore and b) how would you all actually rise up in a coordinated manner, across the country to take down your govt? Come on, as if... But that's another bunch of questions that nobody can clear up for me)

Also, I'm five, and for my next birthday I want an Optimus Prime!

clickie

#63 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:40 pm

Theres a lot of people out there like nausaea who have a deep seeded hatred for America.

clickie

#64 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:51 pm

I mean thats basically the point hes trying to make.

nausearockpig

#65 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:07 pm

clickie wrote:Theres a lot of people out there like nausaea who have a deep seeded hatred for America.
:lolol: I don't hate the USA, I just don't get it - fundamentally I mean.
clickie wrote:I mean thats basically the point hes trying to make.
No it's not.