Re: NYPD assassinations

#21 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:15 pm

I thought this was an excellent piece

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/01/12/fire-time

kv

#22 Post by kv » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:30 am

Romeo wrote:
kv wrote:Pretty sure, if roles were reversed, the two dead cops would be doing the same
:noclue:
It doesn't matter, they were given specific orders by the Commissioner and they defied orders.

Try that shit in the Military and see how far that gets you.
Pretty sure in clown college they don't care...how does that relate you ask? About as well as comparing the police to military :aoa:

Romeo

#23 Post by Romeo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:55 am

kv wrote:
Romeo wrote:
kv wrote:Pretty sure, if roles were reversed, the two dead cops would be doing the same
:noclue:
It doesn't matter, they were given specific orders by the Commissioner and they defied orders.

Try that shit in the Military and see how far that gets you.
Pretty sure in clown college they don't care...how does that relate you ask? About as well as comparing the police to military :aoa:
actually, no. Military & LE are very similar in how they are run

Both can not strike. Both must follow orders given by their superiors. If some one in the military, in uniform was to turn their back on the Commander in Chief because he "didn't like him" that soldier would be court marshaled

Besides, you arm the Police with tanks and you basically have a freaking army

we need less of this

And more of this

kv

#24 Post by kv » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:43 pm

Better get yourself a time machine or a script writer

Romeo

#25 Post by Romeo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:40 am

Policing should be community based. If your in a certain precinct for majority of your career you should know the residents and store owners on your beat. You should also represent the people you protect.

You should not be para-military and treat every citizen as a suspected terrorist. Leave that to special units like ESU. I would like to say "since 9/11" but bad policing and police policies have been going on way before 9/11/01. Like we pointed out with Amadu and Abner.

kv

#26 Post by kv » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:32 am

When police come up trained in jails and rotating through them that's what you get...ie cities like LA

Bandit72

#27 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:04 am

Didn't want to start a new thread, but holy shit.

SR

#28 Post by SR » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:38 pm

Hmm. I'm shocked

Pandemonium

#29 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:19 pm

The guy is flailing around hitting several of the cops before they bring him down. You can see him getting tangled up with at least one of the cops who's repeatedly shouting "he's (getting) my gun!" It sucks the guy was killed but it was quickly escalating to an uncontrollable situation and obviously the video doesn't show the complete story. That said, there's a bigger picture here than even another guy getting shot by cops - and that's the ridiculously out of control homeless situation in downtown LA. I have to go through that area about once a month and it's a shockingly bad and dangerous place to be. You literally turn a corner from a relatively "nice" area like Little Tokyo and you're looking at blocks of homeless people camped out on the sidewalks, many of them mentally unstable. There needs to be more help for the huge homeless population clustered there and a concentrated effort to clean up the area and it starts with the LA government/City Council who have always pussy footed around this problem. Being a cop patrolling this area would be hell.

mockbee

#30 Post by mockbee » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:47 pm

My brother lives, or actually just moved from, a couple blocks off Little Tokyo, towards Skid Row and it is terrible down there. It's literally the holding pen for all homeless and mentally ill people in the greater downtown LA area.
In September 2005, hospitals and law enforcement agencies were discovered to be "dumping" homeless people on Skid Row. Then Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa ordered an investigation and William Bratton, LAPD chief at the time, claimed that the Department was not targeting homeless people specifically, but only people who violate city ordinances.[13] The Los Angeles City Attorney investigated more than 50 of about 150 reported cases of dumping.[14] By early 2007, the city attorney had filed charges against only one hospital, Kaiser Permanente. Because there were no laws specifically covering the hospital's actions they were charged, in an untested strategy, with false imprisonment. In response to the lack of legal recourse available to fight patient dumping, California state senator Gil Cedillo sponsored legislation against it in February 2007.[15]

Oh, not to worry though Bratton had a plan. Let's just make it illegal to be in one spot where we dump all our indigents. That'll do it!
2006 lawsuit

In 2002, newly appointed LAPD chief William Bratton announced a plan to clean up Skid Row by, among other things, aggressively enforcing an old "anti-camping" ordinance.[16] Robert Lee Purrie, for instance, was cited twice for violating the ordinance in December 2002 and January 2003 and his possessions: "blankets, clothes, cooking utensils, a hygiene kit," and so on, were confiscated by the police.[16]

LA is a model for addressing homelessness. :no: Actually makes me feel better about the sorry state of affairs in the Tenderloin.

Like you said Panda, something serious needs to be done by the city to address this. It is currently illegal to be mentally ill and not have a dwelling. And make a fuss? We'll just shoot you, problem solved.

Hell to be police there and hell to be homeless.

farrellgirl99

#31 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:59 pm

I wish LA would take Bratton back :conf:

Slightly off topic, but I'm currently reading The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander (which I highly recommend), and it touches upon the militarization of the police and how it was tied to the commencement of the war on drugs in the 1980s. It's all so fucked up. And as I coming home today on the subway, I passed by four officers in the station who were in full combat gear with rifles. Just standing in the subway station (this was in midtown) during rush hour. Why is this militarization normalized? It's really perplexing.