The Holocaust

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Bandit72

The Holocaust

#1 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:05 pm

As you all know it's 70 years after the liberation of Auschwitz. There has been some unbelievable tv documentaries on it in the UK. Particularly one which was shown on Saturday night called 'Holocaust - Night will fall'.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/holo ... /57245-001

I'm aware if you're over the pond you can't view stuff from our channel 4 website, but the Torrent is here (maybe you could find it somewhere else)

http://www.limetorrents.co/search/all/H ... Will-Fall/

I highly recommend people watch it as it has pretty much never seen before footage of what went on in the concentration camps. So, so sad and depressing, yet compulsory viewing I feel.

http://tinyurl.com/nxq3nj8
“Bergen-Belsen was the last camp we went to and it was the worst. There was one tap with water but we had no food. I remember digging around in the ground for roots to eat and people around me who collapsed and died with hunger. Cannibalism was rife. I would never do that but I saw it. I still remember the moment we were liberated, one month after we arrived. I was lying on my bunk and somebody shouted, ‘Look, there are Jeeps outside’. I went out and saw British soldiers coming into the camp. It was so wonderful.”
I visited Auschwitz in 1992, which was a pretty overwhelming experience. I've said this to people ever since, and have heard the same from a number of people who have also been there. No birds sand whilst we were in the camp.

chaos

Re: The Holocaust

#2 Post by chaos » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:59 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
I highly recommend people watch it as it has pretty much never seen before footage of what went on in the concentration camps. So, so sad and depressing, yet compulsory viewing I feel.
^

I watched it last night on HBO. It's actually a documentary on a documentary - German Concentration Camps Factual Survey.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/26/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

Recalling a Film From the Liberation of the Camps
‘Night Will Fall’ Examines the Making of a 1945 Holocaust Documentary
By MIKE HALEJAN. 25, 2015

The HBO documentary “Night Will Fall” is a movie about the Holocaust, a movie about remembering the Holocaust and primarily, at least in formal terms, a movie about a movie. It may not do full justice to all these subjects in its tight 78 minutes, but it’s not a film you’re likely to forget.

The most wrenching sequences in “Night Will Fall” are the scenes it incorporates from “German Concentration Camps Factual Survey,” a movie begun under the auspices of the British government in 1945. Using film shot by Allied cameramen at camps including Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen and Dachau, and assembled by a team that included Alfred Hitchcock as a supervising director, “Factual Survey” was meant to be a historical document and a teaching tool; among the stated goals of the filmmakers was that it be shown to Germans to prove to them that the horrors of the camps were real.

Amid the rapidly shifting politics of postwar Europe, however, with America and Britain confronting Soviet expansionism and suddenly interested in raising German morale, work on “Factual Survey” was abruptly halted. The finished reels, storyboards and scripts would sit in British archives for more than 60 years, until the Imperial War Museums began a restoration project in 2010.

“Night Will Fall,” directed by André Singer (and making its television premiere on HBO on Monday), tells the story of “Factual Survey,” incorporating archival and current interviews with people involved in its making. It also fills out the story of how the British, American and Soviet cameramen documented the unbelievable scenes that the liberating troops found, and includes touching sequences in which soldiers and camp inmates who appear in the old footage describe their horrific experiences seven decades ago.

And most harrowingly, it incorporates about 12 minutes of the restored “Factual Survey.” Belying its bland, clinical title, the original film, in these excerpts, is a measured but unflinching account, with brutally explicit footage of naked, emaciated corpses lying in stacks, littering fields and being thrown and shoveled into mass graves. Nearly as hard to bear are the scenes (backed by a pointed narration, newly recorded by the actor Jasper Britton) of warehoused eyeglasses, teeth and bales of human hair.

While “Factual Survey” was shelved, the footage it drew from has been used in other films and television programs over the years. But “Night Will Fall” proves that the images never lose their capacity to shock. (The title is taken from a line of narration in the older film: “Unless the world learns the lesson these pictures teach, night will fall.”)

What the new film accomplishes, more than anything else, is to make you wish you could see the original. That’s possible, but not easy. Marking International Holocaust Remembrance Day on Tuesday, and the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the camps, “German Concentration Camps Factual Survey” is being screened at the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles on Tuesday and the Holocaust Memorial Museum in San Antonio on Thursday. There are no announced plans to show it more widely, but perhaps “Night Will Fall” will change that.

erotic cheeses

#3 Post by erotic cheeses » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Hitchcock was it not?

I read a piece about this and how it was shelved after the war to prevent anti German feelings when the new enemy was mother Russia, shocking really

Bandit72

#4 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:48 am

erotic cheeses wrote:Hitchcock was it not?

I read a piece about this and how it was shelved after the war to prevent anti German feelings when the new enemy was mother Russia, shocking really
Yeh, it was Hitchcock. The history channel have also run one called Unseen Holocaust. Which is also pretty fucking grim.