Donald Trump running for President.

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Pandemonium

Re: Donald Trump running for President.

#481 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:28 pm

chaos wrote:She is reciting a poem written by a 19 year old girl. She tells this to the crowd in the of the video. I assume the girl could not attend which is why she is reciting it. :noclue:
It's not so much the poem (although it's pretty eye-rolling), it's her 'interpretation" of it that's hilarious.

nausearockpig

#482 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:30 pm

Yep I get that, people are rallying etc but what are they actually going to achieve? Protesting is all well and good, but what will it, and they do? (Cue Saw Gurerra's speech from the R1 trailers here hahahah).

What will calling congress do? What are they gonna call congress about, and expect to happen? Surely there's a plan to do something that will block Trump's ability to make these changes he's been promising?

Also, I found this amusing:

Pandemonium

#483 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:55 pm

This clip from yesterday's inauguration made me laugh:

perkana

#484 Post by perkana » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:02 pm

It's pressure...pressure Cheeto's choices every day. Participate more by becoming an activist. Protest every week if you need to. A lot of people protested in the '60s against wars.
During one speech women were asked to become or support congress women. Michael Moore called for taking the Dem Party and inject new blood. It's a long road, but I thought calling congress representatives every day to repell Trump's cabinet choices is a good start.

nausearockpig

#485 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:11 pm

perkana wrote:It's pressure...pressure Cheeto's choices every day. Participate more by becoming an activist. Protest every week if you need to. A lot of people protested in the '60s against wars.
During one speech women were asked to become or support congress women. Michael Moore called for taking the Dem Party and inject new blood. It's a long road, but I thought calling congress representatives every day to repell Trump's cabinet choices is a good start.
Well I hope they can do something.

SR

#486 Post by SR » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:41 am

I love Ashley Judd. She's brilliant. She's led an examined life. And as a cosmic consequence, she's gorgeous. I liked her recitation and that she took the time to memorize and perform it.

I went to the March. My only confusion was that it was inherently divisive. Women's issues are but one of the endangered with this madman.

farrellgirl99

#487 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:55 am

nausearockpig wrote:
perkana wrote:It's pressure...pressure Cheeto's choices every day. Participate more by becoming an activist. Protest every week if you need to. A lot of people protested in the '60s against wars.
Yeah I participated not so much to protest Trump's presidency itself, but what may/most likely will happen in regards to women's healthcare and reproductive rights, criminal justice system, healthcare in general, immigrants rights, black lives matter, etc. it was more of a statement to say whats about to happen is not okay and will be fought against.

i found it very empowering and inspiring to be among so many people - i think 400-500k showed up in nyc. to use a cliche, there were people of all shapes and sizes and colors, men women children, black white asian hispanic etc. it was cool to be a part of and now the real work of resistance and pressure starts.

edit: and its obviously not to say that this work just started yesterday - obviously, people have been fighting for these rights, or to retain some of these rights. but with the presidency becoming official and all branches becoming republican/right-wing, it just got even harder

nausearockpig

#488 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:39 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Yeah I participated not so much to protest Trump's presidency itself, but what may/most likely will happen in regards to women's healthcare and reproductive rights, criminal justice system, healthcare in general, immigrants rights, black lives matter, etc. it was more of a statement to say whats about to happen is not okay and will be fought against.

i found it very empowering and inspiring to be among so many people - i think 400-500k showed up in nyc. to use a cliche, there were people of all shapes and sizes and colors, men women children, black white asian hispanic etc. it was cool to be a part of and now the real work of resistance and pressure starts.

edit: and its obviously not to say that this work just started yesterday - obviously, people have been fighting for these rights, or to retain some of these rights. but with the presidency becoming official and all branches becoming republican/right-wing, it just got even harder
Yeah I find the impending changes to women's rights (amongst other things of course) disgusting.

Romeo

#489 Post by Romeo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:30 am

I am so sick of fighting. I've fought for most of my adult life. I fought the Reagan Admin and I've fought Bush I & II. I worked at Planned Parenthood for 12 years (8 of them thankfully during the Clinton Admin) and had to fight the NYS besides the Federal Government. I've lobbied, I've marched, I've protested. I. AM. TIRED.
When will this all end. When will this be a non-sector?

And what pisses me off more is the apathy of some women, friends on FB who thought the march was "stupid". Or put the protesters down (I should add they were also the voters for the Mango Mussolini) One of which is a Police Officer and she just became detective. 6 people on the list, her name was number one but they took the 5 other men below her. She has 8 or 9 years on the street and was recently award the second highest honor in the Police Dept for a high profile arrest. So she was originally passed over on the list and wasn't accepted until the union stepped in. Sexism? Absolutely. Yet she DEGENERATED the women marching all over the world on Saturday. I didn't want to get into a pissing match with her but wanted to scream THEY ARE DOING THIS FOR YOU. The women before this protested so YOU COULD BE A COP.

perkana

#490 Post by perkana » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:45 am

Exactly! It's like they're blind or deaf. When I was watching the live feed, I had to turn the comments off. Some women actually wrote that if you as a woman wanted a better salary, you should get a degree. Like that's the problem.

perkana

#491 Post by perkana » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:50 am

SR wrote:I love Ashley Judd. She's brilliant. She's led an examined life. And as a cosmic consequence, she's gorgeous. I liked her recitation and that she took the time to memorize and perform it.

I went to the March. My only confusion was that it was inherently divisive. Women's issues are but one of the endangered with this madman.
I thought so too. Very emotional and I love her southern accent.
Well, it was women's march, but I thought it covered more than women's issues.

Artemis

#492 Post by Artemis » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:57 am

This is hilarious. The most hilarious! :lol:

chaos

#493 Post by chaos » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:48 am

Pandemonium wrote:This clip from yesterday's inauguration made me laugh:

:lol:

chaos

#494 Post by chaos » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:49 am

Artemis wrote:This is hilarious. The most hilarious! :lol:

:lol:

Ah - so many clips, so little time. :lol:

SR

#495 Post by SR » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Artemis wrote:This is hilarious. The most hilarious! :lol:

:lolol: Gotta grab me some pony

nausearockpig

#496 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:38 pm

Jesus fucking christ.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/d ... 8540990e96

Maybe someone can clarify what gives anyone else the right to tell someone what they can and can't do with their body..... fucking hell....

Hype

#497 Post by Hype » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:50 am

nausearockpig wrote:Jesus fucking christ.

Maybe someone can clarify what gives anyone else the right to tell someone what they can and can't do with their body..... fucking hell....
As strongly against this legislation as I am, the headlines are slightly misleading. It's true that the effect is anti-abortion, but it's a weird piece of legislation because it's ostensibly a restriction on foreign aid. It's not directly a restriction on abortion rights. It's a restriction on what American-funded clinics in foreign countries can say/do with respect to abortion if they want to continue to receive funding.

That is, of course, clearly reprehensible, and woman are going to die as a result, but I think it's a sin of a different order of magnitude than, say, actively promoting anti-abortion views in these countries overtly, or trying to overturn Roe v. Wade or something.

It's easy to understand how libertarian-minded social conservatives can rationalize this: they will say it's about funding, not about telling anyone what they can and can't do. Of course, they're intentionally obfuscating the role of funding in all of this. But it's possible to play their game. Take their money and work around their legislation.

Btw, I think (though I might be mistaken about this) it's legislation that G.W. Bush had already passed, but which was repealed under Obama.

SR

#498 Post by SR » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:49 am

Love this pup

"If Walmart could vomit......" :lolol: :nod: :lolol:

MYXYLPLYX

#499 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:49 pm

Hype wrote:

As strongly against this legislation as I am, the headlines are slightly misleading. It's true that the effect is anti-abortion, but it's a weird piece of legislation because it's ostensibly a restriction on foreign aid. It's not directly a restriction on abortion rights. It's a restriction on what American-funded clinics in foreign countries can say/do with respect to abortion if they want to continue to receive funding.

That is, of course, clearly reprehensible, and woman are going to die as a result, but I think it's a sin of a different order of magnitude than, say, actively promoting anti-abortion views in these countries overtly, or trying to overturn Roe v. Wade or something.

It's easy to understand how libertarian-minded social conservatives can rationalize this: they will say it's about funding, not about telling anyone what they can and can't do. Of course, they're intentionally obfuscating the role of funding in all of this. But it's possible to play their game. Take their money and work around their legislation.

Btw, I think (though I might be mistaken about this) it's legislation that G.W. Bush had already passed, but which was repealed under Obama.

Passed by Reagan, repealed by Clinton, reinstated by Bush, repealed by Obama, reinstated again by Trump...

Because of this history, they have compiled some pretty thorough surveys of the effect of its enforcement ... lotta dead women, a lot more abortions...

:no:

Pandemonium

#500 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:07 pm

While Chicago is in bad shape, the very suggestion of martial law in the city is going to make people's heads explode.

Romeo

#501 Post by Romeo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:19 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote:
Hype wrote:

Passed by Reagan, repealed by Clinton, reinstated by Bush, repealed by Obama, reinstated again by Trump...

Because of this history, they have compiled some pretty thorough surveys of the effect of its enforcement ... lotta dead women, a lot more abortions...

:no:
I have more restrictions on my uterus than firearms do!

My uterus must be a dangerous weapon!

SR

#502 Post by SR » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:41 am

Tomorrow LIVE on FB @ 10 am EST the Atomic Scientists will revisit the doomsday clock time....this has been on my radar for some time now. I think it's going to change. Funny (not really) but the prospect of war is very real to me with the new admin, but what has never crossed my mind was the possibility of a Civil War, but after his threat to invade Illinois yesterday there are brand new horrors to contemplate. This particular Board are housed at The University of Chicago.

https://www.facebook.com/BulletinOfTheAtomicScientists/

Romeo

#503 Post by Romeo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:23 am

So...
Mother nature unleashed fury on the South. 21 people dead.
Where's the Mango Mussolini? Absolutely no peep from the White house.

If Obama wasn't there within 20 minutes of the disaster the GOP and troglodyte followers were ripping him a new asshole

SR

#504 Post by SR » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:10 am

BoAS moved it .30 seconds closer to midnight. 2 1/2 minutes to midnight.

farrellgirl99

#505 Post by farrellgirl99 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:12 pm

may the lord help us all :scared: