Donald Trump running for President.

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Angry Canine

Re: Donald Trump running for President.

#41 Post by Angry Canine » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:16 pm

It's going to be voting against somebody again, not for anyone.

I wish Warren would run, but she wouldn't have a realistic chance against Hillary, so that would just be an expensive effort in futility.

Hopefully Trump is already monkeywrenching the whole Republican effort.

I would never go so far as to call myself a Democrat, but I'm very much anti-republican.

Hype

#42 Post by Hype » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:41 am

Angry Canine wrote:It's going to be voting against somebody again, not for anyone.

I wish Warren would run, but she wouldn't have a realistic chance against Hillary, so that would just be an expensive effort in futility.

Hopefully Trump is already monkeywrenching the whole Republican effort.

I would never go so far as to call myself a Democrat, but I'm very much anti-republican.
You should never vote *for* anyone. There's no mechanism in democracy that reinforces positive selection. The only mechanisms of selection in democracy are effectively negative. The ability to get rid of bad candidates/bad leaders peacefully, and with regularity is probably the single most important feature of democracy. Democratically and constitutionally responsive court systems and policy-writing are probably second. Voting isn't a means of choosing who you want to lead precisely because you can't rely on the populace to make a *positively* informed intelligent choice, and nor would you want to. This would more than likely amount to a patrician council of unelected intellectual elites running the show. What we want is a way for the media and the courts to help us avoid the worst leaders, or the worst types of leaders (in the case of voting against policies or parties).

Bandit72

#43 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:29 am

Is it true that if you are an atheist you can't run for presidency?

chaos

#44 Post by chaos » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:45 am

No.

There is nothing in the constitution of federal law banning it.

With regard to local politics, according to a Supreme Court ruling, states are not allowed to have a "religious test" for holding office; however, there are 7 states who still have laws on the books (with regard to state/local offices). I doubt these laws could be enforced though, but who knows with the circus we have today.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/07/us/in ... times&_r=1

The six states besides Maryland with language in their constitutions that prohibits people who do not believe in God from holding office are Arkansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.

Bandit72

#45 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:43 am

Skip to 14.46

My bad....although Dawkins is adamant you wouldn't get elected.

Hype

#46 Post by Hype » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:05 am

Bandit72 wrote:Skip to 14.46

My bad....although Dawkins is adamant you wouldn't get elected.
It's not just Dawkins being adamant. Dawkins is aware of the data we have on this.

Americans consistently report being more likely to vote for a gay person, a muslim, a black person, a woman, than an atheist.

Of course, 'atheist' isn't really a well-understood term, even among atheists. Historically, and even now, it's assumed that 'atheist' means/implies something like moral relativism and nihilism, because most people think God makes things good and bad, or God's judgment is the mechanism that prevents people from doing bad things, so a person admitting that they don't believe in that thing makes these people think that that person will do bad things without fear.

Of course, these people just need to read Plato's Euthyphro or shut up.

It probably doesn't help that Ayn Rand was an atheist, nor that one of the heads of the American Atheists (Madalyn Murray O'Hare) was considered a pretty mean person (and was also murdered).

There are millions of Americans who don't know people who aren't like themselves, and are exposed to only one set of extremely narrow beliefs. 30 million fundamentalist Christians alone...

It's not surprising that people aren't likely to vote for someone who is known to be an atheist. Of course, conversely, Americans have certainly voted for and/or elected many people who are atheists, where no one knew that about them, probably because it just never came up.

Angry Canine

#47 Post by Angry Canine » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:20 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Is it true that if you are an atheist you can't run for presidency?
You can run. But you can't win unless you pretend to be Christian. There's just too large of a segment of the population that thinks that way.

Romeo

#48 Post by Romeo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:35 am

Trump your cat

http://www.today.com/pets/trumpyourcat- ... air-t31961

I'm going to do this later. My cat is shedding like a mofo and I brush him once a day
:lolol:

Artemis

#49 Post by Artemis » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:15 am

You will likely want to spritz your eyes with Windex after you watch this.

:jasper:
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/08 ... liani-drag

You Can't Unsee This Video of Donald Trump Groping Rudy Giuliani

Donald Trump has long had a boorish reputation when it comes to his treatment of women, something that is now back in the spotlight thanks to the real estate mogul's tense exchange with Megyn Kelly at Thursday's GOP debate and subsequent tirade against the Fox News host.

It turns out that even Trump ally Rudy Giuliani, who recently termed Trump's candidacy "refreshing," once called out The Donald for his loutish behavior. Of course Giuliani, then New York's mayor, was also dressed in drag at the time and was appearing with Trump in a skit filmed for the "Inner Circle Press Dinner" in 2000. In the clip, Trump full-on gropes Giuliani, who exclaims, "Oh, you dirty boy," and slaps the tycoon. Warning: you can't unsee this.

mockbee

#50 Post by mockbee » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:58 am

Trump has expanded his lead by half a dozen points. Bush no longer in the top 5, barely hanging onto top 10 status.

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/n ... ad-n406766

Second place is "Machine" Gun Bacon Ted Cruz! :agree:

But.... that's not a machine gun.............:confused:

Artemis

#51 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:14 pm

:lol:

perkana

#52 Post by perkana » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:56 am

There you go, the first racist dumbasses inspired by the rants of this douchebag...
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-d ... -comments/

SR

#53 Post by SR » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:26 am

The traction and consistent upswing in popularity is a very real reflection of the dumbing down of all media in this country. Trump, time after time, speaks like an American good ol boy who's had a few shots in a bar...verbal salvos from men with deep seeded anger at their own mediocrity, but with deluded ideas on what greatness is.

Hype

#54 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:53 am

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolit ... -heres-why

Some interesting data there... 18% support from GOP voters with a college degree. 30% from GOP voters without a college degree.

For voters of any affiliation, his least negative segment (-4%) is from white working class men and women. His most negative segment is hispanic voters, surprisingly more negative than even 'post-graduates', which I think suggests that at least some form of racial/xenophobic bias is playing a role in people's evaluations of him. Post-graduates are far more likely to be white, so even with high levels of education it appears they are slightly more susceptible to his stupid xenophobic soundbites than hispanic voters are (for obvious reasons -- either they, rightly, take offense to his comments, or they are already supporting Rubio or another candidate who has shown more interest in talking to them) -- pretty good indicator that rationality isn't really a very good measure of political support/power.

Also helpful to keep in mind: "Trump has the highest unfavorable ratings of any 2016 candidate, Democrat or Republican."

I think we just have to hope that the Democratic base (especially black and hispanic voters) can rally behind Hillary at somewhere close to the degree they did behind Obama. At least in the case of black voters, this may be a problem.

SR

#55 Post by SR » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:28 am

I have grave concerns about this election.

Hype

#56 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:29 am

SR wrote:I have grave concerns about this election.
I liked Hillary in '08. As a candidate now, I mean, fine... but I'm worried it'll be like Al Gore all over again.

SR

#57 Post by SR » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:35 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
I liked Hillary in '08. As a candidate now, I mean, fine... but I'm worried it'll be like Al Gore all over again.
I liked Hillary up until a few months ago. Though I am not so naïve that I do not think that most politicians skate most rules, this email issue really reminded me that the Clinton's have become the mirror image of the Bushs......zero accountability. That didn't work so well with the fuckwit.

Pandemonium

#58 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:19 am

SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
I liked Hillary up until a few months ago. Though I am not so naïve that I do not think that most politicians skate most rules, this email issue really reminded me that the Clinton's have become the mirror image of the Bushs......zero accountability. That didn't work so well with the fuckwit.
I was good with Hillary as a potential candidate until the fallout from the Benghazi Embassy attack. It became pretty clear that there was an abject failure leading right up the chain to Clinton regarding proper security and intelligence for the Embassy and then a later willful coverup that it was an actual planned terrorist attack (remember how it was called a "spontaneous riot" because of that stupid Mohammad YouTube movie?). And then Hillary losing her cool during the hearings about the attack and claiming "it doesn't matter" about the circumstances was just the icing on the cake.

SR

#59 Post by SR » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:36 am

Pandemonium wrote:
SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
I was good with Hillary as a potential candidate until the fallout from the Benghazi Embassy attack. It became pretty clear that there was an abject failure leading right up the chain to Clinton regarding proper security and intelligence for the Embassy and then a later willful coverup that it was an actual planned terrorist attack (remember how it was called a "spontaneous riot" because of that stupid Mohammad YouTube movie?). And then Hillary losing her cool during the hearings about the attack and claiming "it doesn't matter" about the circumstances was just the icing on the cake.
i might have felt the same way, but because fox was the main producer of spin on the story I ran like a Kenyan

Romeo

#60 Post by Romeo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:39 am

Benghazi was nothing but a political witch hunt

No one cared that in the 8 years Bush was busy ruining America there were 13 embassy attacks and 60 deaths related to the attacks

farrellgirl99

#61 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:34 am

Romeo wrote:Benghazi was nothing but a political witch hunt

No one cared that in the 8 years Bush was busy ruining America there were 13 embassy attacks and 60 deaths related to the attacks
Unrelated to embassy attacks, but I have been researching the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq for work and it has been mind blowing to see how inept the Bush administration was and how they just had no fucking clue what they were doing (or rather, didn't care). I knew Bush sucked, but I was younger at the time so didn't understand all the nuances. Now, reading about them, I just can't believe the arrogance and fuckery that went on, particularly with Iraq. And don't even get me started on Katrina.

Hype

#62 Post by Hype » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:01 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Romeo wrote:Benghazi was nothing but a political witch hunt

Unrelated to embassy attacks, but I have been researching the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq for work and it has been mind blowing to see how inept the Bush administration was and how they just had no fucking clue what they were doing (or rather, didn't care). I knew Bush sucked, but I was younger at the time so didn't understand all the nuances. Now, reading about them, I just can't believe the arrogance and fuckery that went on, particularly with Iraq. And don't even get me started on Katrina.
You didn't think that a cokehead fratboy drunk pseudo-cowboy who said things like "I think fish and people can coexist" and choked on a pretzel and couldn't figure out how to open doors was obviously an inept, pathetic, arrogant fuckhead? :lol: I mean, yeah, ok, I was there with you (9/11 happened when I was in 10th grade), and I hadn't yet started watching the Daily Show, etc (that became a big thing in university), but I thought we were all pretty sure Bush was a moron -- like, not just a typical Republican "not my party, I'm a Democrat" guy, but an actual, literal, mentally defective human.

Pandemonium

#63 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:29 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:You didn't think that a cokehead fratboy drunk pseudo-cowboy who said things like "I think fish and people can coexist" and choked on a pretzel and couldn't figure out how to open doors was obviously an inept, pathetic, arrogant fuckhead? :lol: I mean, yeah, ok, I was there with you (9/11 happened when I was in 10th grade), and I hadn't yet started watching the Daily Show, etc (that became a big thing in university), but I thought we were all pretty sure Bush was a moron -- like, not just a typical Republican "not my party, I'm a Democrat" guy, but an actual, literal, mentally defective human.

The thing that compounded the epic post 9/11 fuckup with Bush Jr is that he was surrounded and influenced by otherwise very smart people (although Rumsfeld was arguably even more of an idiot) who had agendas that were VERY bad for the country and the world at large. Dick Cheney was probably the most crafty, arrogant and evil politician in the highest level of US government since Nixon.

Hype

#64 Post by Hype » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:37 am

I'm not sure what I think about Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice. Both of them seem very bright and quite thoughtful.

Pandemonium

#65 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:15 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I'm not sure what I think about Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice. Both of them seem very bright and quite thoughtful.
Powell was probably the sanest guy in the Bush administration but he was ultimately made the stooge to sell the Iraq invasion to the U.N..