Donald Trump running for President.

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
farrellgirl99

Re: Donald Trump running for President.

#61 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:34 am

Romeo wrote:Benghazi was nothing but a political witch hunt

No one cared that in the 8 years Bush was busy ruining America there were 13 embassy attacks and 60 deaths related to the attacks
Unrelated to embassy attacks, but I have been researching the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq for work and it has been mind blowing to see how inept the Bush administration was and how they just had no fucking clue what they were doing (or rather, didn't care). I knew Bush sucked, but I was younger at the time so didn't understand all the nuances. Now, reading about them, I just can't believe the arrogance and fuckery that went on, particularly with Iraq. And don't even get me started on Katrina.

Hype

#62 Post by Hype » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:01 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:

No one cared that in the 8 years Bush was busy ruining America there were 13 embassy attacks and 60 deaths related to the attacks
Unrelated to embassy attacks, but I have been researching the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq for work and it has been mind blowing to see how inept the Bush administration was and how they just had no fucking clue what they were doing (or rather, didn't care). I knew Bush sucked, but I was younger at the time so didn't understand all the nuances. Now, reading about them, I just can't believe the arrogance and fuckery that went on, particularly with Iraq. And don't even get me started on Katrina.
You didn't think that a cokehead fratboy drunk pseudo-cowboy who said things like "I think fish and people can coexist" and choked on a pretzel and couldn't figure out how to open doors was obviously an inept, pathetic, arrogant fuckhead? :lol: I mean, yeah, ok, I was there with you (9/11 happened when I was in 10th grade), and I hadn't yet started watching the Daily Show, etc (that became a big thing in university), but I thought we were all pretty sure Bush was a moron -- like, not just a typical Republican "not my party, I'm a Democrat" guy, but an actual, literal, mentally defective human.

Pandemonium

#63 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:29 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:You didn't think that a cokehead fratboy drunk pseudo-cowboy who said things like "I think fish and people can coexist" and choked on a pretzel and couldn't figure out how to open doors was obviously an inept, pathetic, arrogant fuckhead? :lol: I mean, yeah, ok, I was there with you (9/11 happened when I was in 10th grade), and I hadn't yet started watching the Daily Show, etc (that became a big thing in university), but I thought we were all pretty sure Bush was a moron -- like, not just a typical Republican "not my party, I'm a Democrat" guy, but an actual, literal, mentally defective human.

The thing that compounded the epic post 9/11 fuckup with Bush Jr is that he was surrounded and influenced by otherwise very smart people (although Rumsfeld was arguably even more of an idiot) who had agendas that were VERY bad for the country and the world at large. Dick Cheney was probably the most crafty, arrogant and evil politician in the highest level of US government since Nixon.

Hype

#64 Post by Hype » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:37 am

I'm not sure what I think about Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice. Both of them seem very bright and quite thoughtful.

Pandemonium

#65 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:15 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I'm not sure what I think about Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice. Both of them seem very bright and quite thoughtful.
Powell was probably the sanest guy in the Bush administration but he was ultimately made the stooge to sell the Iraq invasion to the U.N..

SR

#66 Post by SR » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:42 am

Powell was a huge thorn in the back of that unholy trinity. He was the last holdout in the invasion, but when pressed long and hard by those murderers finally caved. His use before the UN was used to show unity, and some sense of reason to Americans as he was widely respected as noble, sane, and 'humane' soldier.

chaos

#67 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:26 pm

Raymond McGovern and George Tenet warned the Bush administration - Rice included- about an attack. No one listened (Rice had no clue what to do before or after). Richard Clarke was appalled that Cheney wanted to attack Iraq.

There is an excellent document on the Smithsonian Channel, 9/11: The Day That Changed the World.

Hype

#68 Post by Hype » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:36 pm

In some ways I'm not sure we can even imagine what would happen if Donald Trump somehow manages to become president. His public persona is absolutely ridiculous for anyone who isn't in that group of idiots who like empty machismo, but in some ways there's not much difference between his repetitious inane use of 'Make America Great Again' and the successful campaign slogans of the Obama election years... "Yes we can!" is equally stupid and empty, it's just that Obama's speeches suggested that there was a lot behind it, for anyone actually paying attention. But do you really think there wasn't a large segment of Obama voters who didn't pay attention to content and just relied on the slogans and emotion?

As with Bush, any president, no matter how apparently stupid, will be influenced by, or have decisions made in concert with, a whole army of insiders... and it's unclear who they would be in a Trump presidency. It's a nauseating idea on the face of it, but the potential reality doesn't seem clear.

farrellgirl99

#69 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:56 pm

No, I knew Bush was a complete idiot and dangerous human being. I'm talking more about war strategy/warmongering. I didn't know some of the details about the wars specifically because I was 10 when they started. And even a somewhat smart 10 year old isn't gonna understand how fucking horribly executed something is. I just knew they were bad and he was an idiot. I still remember in 2004 when my class held a mock election and I was one of only 3 people who voted for Gore cause I went to school in a Republican neighborhood :lol: The Bush years were dark times.

I don't think Trump will be the nominee, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised by anything since there's no strong Republican candidate. It just seems like the more racist/ethnocentric/misogynist/general batshit Trump gets, the better he polls. It's unbelievable.

mockbee

#70 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm not terribly concerned. Remember Freedom Fries? Well after that we got Obama. You can follow crazy with some reason, but as hype said, "reason" isn't really reason. It's just something we mistake as reason that's more reasonable than the alternative.

If someone was actually reasonable, they wouldn't get anywhere, or be laughed off stage pretty quickly if they did. :noclue:

Hype

#71 Post by Hype » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:32 pm

I tend to think that really clear-headed, well-meaning, intelligent people stay the hell away from politics, partly because like business, politics is full of Type A/sociopathic shitheads manipulating everyone around them (see: Frank Underwood; any law school [sorry ANR law school folks, but it's true of a significant portion of the population there]). This is really conjecture based on experience and some views I hold about human nature, but I also suspect that sufficiently motivated rational, good people will also tend to stay behind the scenes, like Elizabeth Warren...

Of course, I'm also sure there are exceptions to this... I just don't know who they are. Democracies aren't really built for benevolent, intelligent, leadership. They're structures designed to mitigate the worst leadership and its side effects as much as we can. (I've said that before... just feel like it bears repeating so much... whenever personalities like Trump pop up... it starts to look like everything's broken...)

Angry Canine

#72 Post by Angry Canine » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:41 pm

I remember last election, I was joking that Eric Cartman would make a good President.

And now this time around, we actually do have a cartoon running.

I've always said Idiocracy was set way too far in the future.

Angry Canine

#73 Post by Angry Canine » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:12 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I tend to think that really clear-headed, well-meaning, intelligent people stay the hell away from politics, partly because like business, politics is full of Type A/sociopathic shitheads manipulating everyone around them (see: Frank Underwood; any law school [sorry ANR law school folks, but it's true of a significant portion of the population there]). This is really conjecture based on experience and some views I hold about human nature, but I also suspect that sufficiently motivated rational, good people will also tend to stay behind the scenes, like Elizabeth Warren...

Of course, I'm also sure there are exceptions to this... I just don't know who they are. Democracies aren't really built for benevolent, intelligent, leadership. They're structures designed to mitigate the worst leadership and its side effects as much as we can. (I've said that before... just feel like it bears repeating so much... whenever personalities like Trump pop up... it starts to look like everything's broken...)
But those sociopath types seem to find their way to the top positions of government, no matter what system of government is in place, over and over throughout history. It's amazing that the US Republic was not completely dismantled during the early 1900's, or earlier even.

Someone like Warren, or Sanders, is woefully limited in effectiveness in congress. But they'll never be able to get elected to the presidency. The money will always crush them, either in primary or general.

Matz

#74 Post by Matz » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:48 am

how's Jeb and my 100 bucks doing!? :scared: ...just kidding, I thankfully buried that plan...

Romeo

#75 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:17 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:

Considering this is the 10th anniversary of Katrina :nyrexall:

"Great Job Brownie"

Artemis

#76 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:29 pm

Artemis

#77 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:04 pm

:jasper:

farrellgirl99

#78 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:22 am

I thought this was a pretty interesting read. It talks about how white nationalist groups are supporting Trump. People are delusional and Trump is happy to feed into them.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... st-popular

Hype

#79 Post by Hype » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:19 am

Pandemonium

#80 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:02 pm

Dear Lord, Palin is throwing her support to Trump with comments like "everyone should speak American." Maybe they can run on the Dumb and Dumber ticket.

mockbee

#81 Post by mockbee » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:08 am

Bernie Sanders has jumped out to a nine-point lead over front-runner Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire, and he's gained ground on her among Iowa voters in the Democratic presidential race, according to a pair of brand-new NBC News/Marist polls.

In New Hampshire, the Vermont senator gets the support of 41 percent of Democratic voters, Clinton gets 32 percent and Vice President Joe Biden gets 16 percent. No other Democratic candidate receives more than 1 percent.

Trump ahead in both Iowa and New Hampshire

Meanwhile, in the Republican presidential race, Donald Trump now holds a seven-point lead in Iowa and a 16-point one in New Hampshire.

In the Hawkeye State, Trump gets the support from 29 percent of potential GOP caucus-goers, while Ben Carson receives 22 percent. There's a steep drop off after that: Jeb Bush gets 6 percent; Carly Fiorina, Rand Paul and Scott Walker get 5 percent; and Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and Bobby Jindal are at 4 percent.

In July, Walker was ahead of the Iowa Republican field at 19 percent, Trump was second at 17 percent and Bush was third at 12 percent.

In the Granite State, Trump is at 28 percent — followed by John Kasich at 12 percent, Carson at 11 percent, Bush at 8 percent and Fiorina at 6 percent; Walker is down to 4 percent.

Back in July, the top three in New Hampshire were Trump (21 percent), Bush (14 percent) and Walker (12 percent).

The NBC/Marist poll of Iowa was conducted Aug. 26-Sept. 2 of 998 registered voters (margin of error +/- 3.1 percentage points), 390 potential GOP caucus-goers (+/- 5.0) and 345 potential Democratic caucus-goers (+/- 5.3).

The NBC/Marist poll of New Hampshire was conducted Aug. 26-Sept. 2 of 966 registered voters (+/- 3.2%), 413 potential GOP primary voters (+/- 4.8) and 356 potential Democratic primary voters (+/- 5.2).

Well, it looks like a good majority of Americans are still pissed, and are not going to let up any time soon. This will be interesting.

I can almost see a Trump vs Sanders race.........almost. But the elites won't allow it, there is no way the DNC or RNC would allow it even if the people demanded it.

What shocks me the most is Jeb polling at 5-6 percent. Who is the nominee supposed to be if he isn't.........Trump. Crazy.

I don't think people are satisfied with a protest vote early on and conforming later. Goodbye for good any notion of a pluralistic society. Not that we have really had one in the last 30 years, but there will be no guise of one. We will be more like Europe with isolated factions, but without a parliament. I don't think this will be a good thing, the US is too big for that....... but it will certainly be interesting. :noclue:

Hype

#82 Post by Hype » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:37 am

Stephen Colbert appeared to endorse Jeb Bush both the day he was on the new Late Show AND the during the next episode. If that isn't "the elites" "pulling some strings" I don't know what the hell it was. :neutral:

Matz

#83 Post by Matz » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:06 pm

debate time! and this time i'm able to watch, cool!

creep
Site Admin

#84 Post by creep » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:25 pm

:lol: trump is hilarious. his reaction shots and talking shit about everyone.

nausearockpig

#85 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:29 pm

Matz wrote:debate time! and this time i'm able to watch, cool!
it will no doubt be another mass-debate............ ...... ...... . . . .