Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Artemis

Donald Trump running for President.

#1 Post by Artemis » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:37 am

Oh man...

mockbee

Re: Donald Trump running for President.

#2 Post by mockbee » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:48 am

I hear donald duck is making a serious run as well, and that other bush guy and that libertarian guy who never got past a high school level understanding of lit with political implications......too bad he didn't get more stuck with orwell and less with rand.....
(though, I will give him major credit for having the balls to stand up to McConnell on the Patriot Act renewal.....that was awesome. :rockon: )

state of American politics.............. :no:

god.....er......some entity.....help us. :nyrexall:

Hype

#3 Post by Hype » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:32 pm

Good. He's not a serious candidate, and there is no serious candidate for the Republicans. I wouldn't have minded Clinton in '08, but knew she wouldn't get elected then. She has a shot now, though I'd prefer if Bernie Sanders could swing her campaign even further to the left, and that he could end up with a cabinet position if she does get elected.

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:13 pm

good...maybe this will knock his ego down a bit when he gets no support.

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Trump has pissed off Neil Young.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... ie-sanders
When Donald Trump strode on to the stage at Trump Tower on Tuesday to announce that he would enter the Republican race for president, a rock and roll anthem blared: Neil Young’s "Rockin’ in the Free World." It was an odd choice, given that the 1989 song seemed to slam a Republican administration for not giving a damn about the poor. And Young has taken exception to Trump's appropriation of his tune. A statement issued to Mother Jones for Young by his longtime manager Elliot Roberts suggests Young was not pleased by Trump's use of the song:

Donald Trump's use of "Rockin' in the Free World" was not authorized. Mr. Young is a longtime supporter of Bernie Sanders.

In other words, it may be a free world, but you're not free to steal my song.

chaos

#6 Post by chaos » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:59 pm

As soon as I heard the song I knew NY would not be happy. :lol:

Pandemonium

#7 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:15 pm

Yay, we have this year's Sarah Palin officially in the race! Cement Hair has zero chance of getting the nomination or even participating in any debates. The best thing that will happen is NBC will drop his stupid tv show because they don't want to be seen endorsing the guy.

Bandit72

#8 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:33 am

I see Jeb Bush is running. Seriously? What's Jeb short for anyway? Retard?

Hype

#9 Post by Hype » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:52 am

'Jeb' is actually John. I assume, like George, that 'Jeb' is an attempt to portray an East Coast elitist Republican as a folksy backwoods conservative. :no:

Honestly, he's probably less stupid than George W., and we survived those eight years, and I really think it's absurd that Clinton is the only viable candidate, though I would have voted for her 8 years ago.

There is no real left wing in the United States. Candidates who would be moderate leftists anywhere else (like members of the Canadian Liberal party which is centre-left by our standards) are cast as fringe unelectables before they even have a chance. Ah well.

creep
Site Admin

#10 Post by creep » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:57 am

with the republican candidates they have now how can they possibly win? they do the worst job of getting the right candidate. john mccain was the last decent one but unfortunately he was old as shit and then his vp choice happened. i'm not a hillary fan at all. hopefully something happens to shake up this election.

kv

#11 Post by kv » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:07 am

first dude Bill...it's happening...there is no stopping it

creep
Site Admin

#12 Post by creep » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:09 am

kv wrote:first dude Bill...it's happening...there is no stopping it
that's the only positive thing about hillary being president.

mockbee

#13 Post by mockbee » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:14 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:'Jeb' is actually John. I assume, like George, that 'Jeb' is an attempt to portray an East Coast elitist Republican as a folksy backwoods conservative. :no:

Honestly, he's probably less stupid than George W., and we survived those eight years, and I really think it's absurd that Clinton is the only viable candidate, though I would have voted for her 8 years ago.

There is no real left wing in the United States. Candidates who would be moderate leftists anywhere else (like members of the Canadian Liberal party which is centre-left by our standards) are cast as fringe unelectables before they even have a chance. Ah well.
John Ellis Bush "Jeb"

Hype

#14 Post by Hype » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:07 am

mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:'Jeb' is actually John. I assume, like George, that 'Jeb' is an attempt to portray an East Coast elitist Republican as a folksy backwoods conservative. :no:

John Ellis Bush "Jeb"
:lol: So he's basically G.O.B. from Arrested Development...

https://medium.com/the-outtake/7-ways-w ... fc28db1164 :scared:

nausearockpig

#15 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:40 pm

I saw a news snippet about old Donny running..... Apparently he's gonna fix the jobs issue.. He's quite the speaker...... you guys should all vote him in............................

Pandemonium

#16 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:26 pm

Mescal

#17 Post by Mescal » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:45 pm

creep wrote:with the republican candidates they have now how can they possibly win? they do the worst job of getting the right candidate. john mccain was the last decent one but unfortunately he was old as shit and then his vp choice happened. i'm not a hillary fan at all. hopefully something happens to shake up this election.
Really? Was McCain a good candidate?

He came across as a redneck ex-paracommando to me, with no expertise in economy or politics or whatever.

But I might be wrong

Matz

#18 Post by Matz » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:37 am

my dream scenario is that Jeb Bush gets the nomination and after that gets destroyed in the election

mockbee

#19 Post by mockbee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:13 am

I used to be interested in politics, but it's just actually a mind numbingly predictable game that goes round and round ad nauseam.

We are all complicit, can't believe the degree that people buy in. The media is something else. :eyes:

I'm not even so upset at the candidates anymore. Everyone has the right to be an idiot.

Let me off this ride, just wake me when it's time to vote.............. :bored:

Hype

#20 Post by Hype » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:27 am

mockbee wrote:I used to be interested in politics, but it's just actually a mind numbingly predictable game that goes round and round ad nauseam.

We are all complicit, can't believe the degree that people buy in. The media is something else. :eyes:

I'm not even so upset at the candidates anymore. Everyone has the right to be an idiot.

Really? I didn't think that Bernie Sanders was a predictable candidate. Is it predictable that he's not a viable candidate? Sure, but he's interesting, and should have some effect on Clinton's eventual policies should she be elected.

There is an undercurrent of stronger leftist policymaking that goes beyond presidential candidates. There hasn't been someone like Elizabeth Warren in a long time. :rockon:

Presidents are important, but so are all the other cogs in the machine.

mockbee

#21 Post by mockbee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:55 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
mockbee wrote:I used to be interested in politics, but it's just actually a mind numbingly predictable game that goes round and round ad nauseam.

Really? I didn't think that Bernie Sanders was a predictable candidate. Is it predictable that he's not a viable candidate? Sure, but he's interesting, and should have some effect on Clinton's eventual policies should she be elected.

There is an undercurrent of stronger leftist policymaking that goes beyond presidential candidates. There hasn't been someone like Elizabeth Warren in a long time. :rockon:

Warren isn't running, or going to run, she's emphatic about it. People, really really really want her to run, yes, but that is different. I would be shocked if she did.

Forgive the skepticism, but how can that be? Warren hasn't budged in her longstanding disavowals of interest, no matter how deeply they are parsed for the possibility of a hedge. If anything, her denials have become more firm in 2015, as she has wandered from the present tense ("I am not running," she said in December) to the future ("I'm not going to run," she told Savannah Guthrie on the Today Show just three weeks ago). Warren had long ago written a letter of "formal disavowal" to the FEC regarding the Ready for Warren effort, but her supporters shook that off just as they have dismissed her more recent statements. Groups backing her responded to Clinton's announcement last week by releasing videos made by dozens of Warren fans (including the actor Mark Ruffalo) imploring her to run.

Bernie Sanders is your Ralph Nader or your Howard Dean or your Warren Beatty, that's great and all, just the political climate needs to shift a little to have any sort or impact. I agree it's important to have these second/third tier people on the left, but unfortunately in the end we end up in the same spot. I think things will change soon though, the social/economic climate is still a little to stable for real change (for better or worse).

mockbee

#22 Post by mockbee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:09 am

I will have to give John Oliver a lot of credit though. He has done an amazing job with Last Week Tonight of parsing the issues and really making me (a certain segment of the populace) feel relevant and inspired to contact my representitives demanding action. I think the Presidency is just a place holder, making sure we don't bomb other countries and/or make a fool of ourselves in the eyes of other nations, then through direct communications with the House and Senate we can get things done. Of course, that requires an educated populace, which when it comes down to the multitude of relevant issues; (see john oliver) I think the rednecks are educated, they are just confused about the power they weild and get hoodwinked by their Reps. The power of a Rep vote needs to be clearly understood, like breaking and front page news and the power of money in politics needs to be crystal clear, like tattooed on the Reps foreheads. I have no idea how someone could consciously vote for some of these slimeballs.

Hype

#23 Post by Hype » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:00 am

mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Warren isn't running, or going to run, she's emphatic about it. People, really really really want her to run, yes, but that is different. I would be shocked if she did.

Forgive the skepticism, but how can that be? Warren hasn't budged in her longstanding disavowals of interest, no matter how deeply they are parsed for the possibility of a hedge. If anything, her denials have become more firm in 2015, as she has wandered from the present tense ("I am not running," she said in December) to the future ("I'm not going to run," she told Savannah Guthrie on the Today Show just three weeks ago). Warren had long ago written a letter of "formal disavowal" to the FEC regarding the Ready for Warren effort, but her supporters shook that off just as they have dismissed her more recent statements. Groups backing her responded to Clinton's announcement last week by releasing videos made by dozens of Warren fans (including the actor Mark Ruffalo) imploring her to run.

Bernie Sanders is your Ralph Nader or your Howard Dean or your Warren Beatty, that's great and all, just the political climate needs to shift a little to have any sort or impact. I agree it's important to have these second/third tier people on the left, but unfortunately in the end we end up in the same spot. I think things will change soon though, the social/economic climate is still a little to stable for real change (for better or worse).

Well, what I said was that there's an undercurrent of progressive stuff *beyond* presidential candidates (hence Warren, Sanders, etc).

I don't understand your Howard Dean reference, since he was the leading Dem. candidate in 2004 until he screamed like a girl and got ridiculed out of an otherwise strong campaign.

chaos

#24 Post by chaos » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:12 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote: I don't understand your Howard Dean reference, since he was the leading Dem. candidate in 2004 until he screamed like a girl and got ridiculed out of an otherwise strong campaign.
I am not sure why you think he was ever leading. :hs: Do you mean before any actual primary/caucus votes? After the Iowa and NH fiascos, he ended up winning the Vermont primary (but he had dropped out of the race by then).

Hype

#25 Post by Hype » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:02 am

chaos wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote: I don't understand your Howard Dean reference, since he was the leading Dem. candidate in 2004 until he screamed like a girl and got ridiculed out of an otherwise strong campaign.
I am not sure why you think he was ever leading. :hs: Do you mean before any actual primary/caucus votes? After the Iowa and NH fiascos, he ended up winning the Vermont primary (but he had dropped out of the race by then).
I meant before any of the primary votes. Isn't that where we are now? :nod: