Donald Trump running for President.

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
mockbee

Re: Donald Trump running for President.

#841 Post by mockbee » Sat May 30, 2020 3:19 pm

Hype wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:56 pm

White supremacist cops and the system that protects them, though? Fuck that... get rid of it.
One can make the strong argument that the whole concept and origin of Police in the US is doing exactly what it was created to do......

White supremacy is and was the whole point of creating and maintaining a force.

Just a portion have become sidetracked with being a commited member of their community and a "Peace" officer....:noclue:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/4 ... 3famp=true
In fact, the U.S. police force is a relatively modern invention, sparked by changing notions of public order, driven in turn by economics and politics, according to Gary Potter, a crime historian at Eastern Kentucky University.

Policing in Colonial America had been very informal, based on a for-profit, privately funded system that employed people part-time. Towns also commonly relied on a “night watch” in which volunteers signed up for a certain day and time, mostly to look out for fellow colonists engaging in prostitution or gambling. (Boston started one in 1636, New York followed in 1658 and Philadelphia created one in 1700.) But that system wasn’t very efficient because the watchmen often slept and drank while on duty, and there were people who were put on watch duty as a form of punishment.

Night-watch officers were supervised by constables, but that wasn’t exactly a highly sought-after job, either. Early policemen “didn’t want to wear badges because these guys had bad reputations to begin with, and they didn’t want to be identified as people that other people didn’t like,” says Potter. When localities tried compulsory service, “if you were rich enough, you paid someone to do it for you — ironically, a criminal or a community thug.”

As the nation grew, however, different regions made use of different policing systems.

In cities, increasing urbanization rendered the night-watch system completely useless as communities got too big. The first publicly funded, organized police force with officers on duty full-time was created in Boston in 1838. Boston was a large shipping commercial center, and businesses had been hiring people to protect their property and safeguard the transport of goods from the port of Boston to other places, says Potter. These merchants came up with a way to save money by transferring to the cost of maintaining a police force to citizens by arguing that it was for the “collective good.”

In the South, however, the economics that drove the creation of police forces were centered not on the protection of shipping interests but on the preservation of the slavery system. Some of the primary policing institutions there were the slave patrols tasked with chasing down runaways and preventing slave revolts, Potter says; the first formal slave patrol had been created in the Carolina colonies in 1704. During the Civil War, the military became the primary form of law enforcement in the South, but during Reconstruction, many local sheriffs functioned in a way analogous to the earlier slave patrols, enforcing segregation and the disenfranchisement of freed slaves.

In general, throughout the 19th century and beyond, the definition of public order — that which the police officer was charged with maintaining — depended whom was asked.

For example, businessmen in the late 19th century had both connections to politicians and an image of the kinds of people most likely to go on strike and disrupt their workforce. So it’s no coincidence that by the late 1880s, all major U.S. cities had police forces. Fears of labor-union organizers and of large waves of Catholic, Irish, Italian, German, and Eastern European immigrants, who looked and acted differently from the people who had dominated cities before, drove the call for the preservation of law and order, or at least the version of it promoted by dominant interests. For example, people who drank at taverns rather than at home were seen as “dangerous” people by others, but they might have pointed out other factors such as how living in a smaller home makes drinking in a tavern more appealing. (The irony of this logic, Potter points out, is that the businessmen who maintained this belief were often the ones who profited off of the commercial sale of alcohol in public places.)

At the same time, the late 19th century was the era of political machines, so police captains and sergeants for each precinct were often picked by the local political party ward leader, who often owned taverns or ran street gangs that intimidated voters. They then were able to use police to harass opponents of that particular political party, or provide payoffs for officers to turn a blind eye to allow illegal drinking, gambling and prostitution.

This situation was exacerbated during Prohibition, leading President Hoover to appoint the Wickersham Commission in 1929 to investigate the ineffectiveness of law enforcement nationwide. To make police independent from political party ward leaders, the map of police precincts was changed so that they would not correspond with political wards.

The drive to professionalize the police followed, which means that the concept of a career cop as we’d recognize it today is less than a century old.

clickie

#842 Post by clickie » Sun May 31, 2020 4:30 pm

I didn't know where to put this but it's some of the anarchy happening in Minneapolis the first couple nights.

Tyler Durden

#843 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:52 am

clickie wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:30 pm
I didn't know where to put this but it's some of the anarchy happening in Minneapolis the first couple nights.

WorldStar got nuthin' on this.

Artemis

#844 Post by Artemis » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:38 pm

OMG...I am watching the Tulsa rally. :crazy:

kv

#845 Post by kv » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:24 pm

The Tic tok/K-pop crew did it...well done kids!

Artemis

#846 Post by Artemis » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:31 am

kv wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:24 pm
The Tic tok/K-pop crew did it...well done kids!
That was too good! :lol:

For those who might not have heard about it:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/06/ ... SEueKF2AP0
K-Pop Fans Sabotaged Trump’s Under-Attended Tulsa Rally
They launched a secret campaign to register hundreds of thousands of fake tickets

Coming into Saturday’s campaign rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Donald Trump proudly boasted that over one million people had signed up for tickets. But when the day actually came, there were plenty of empty seats to be found inside the arena, and literally not one person showed up for the outdoor events. Trump’s campaign blamed the low attendance on protestors who blocked the entrance to the arena. However, as the New York Times reports, the inflated ticket requests may have been the direct result of a prank carried out by K-pop fans.

K-pop fans, along with their allies on TikTok, worked together to register potentially hundreds of thousands of fake ticket requests as a prank. One of the organizers behind the prank, a YouTube host named Elijah Daniel, told the Times that “It spread mostly through Alt TikTok — we kept it on the quiet side where people do pranks and a lot of activism. K-pop Twitter and Alt TikTok have a good alliance where they spread information amongst each other very quickly. They all know the algorithms and how they can boost videos to get where they want.”
Several young activists created video encouraging other K-pop fans and TikTok users to request tickets using fake names and phone numbers, and even offered instructions on how to generate phone numbers using Google Voice and other internet-connected phone services.

“We all know the Trump campaign feeds on data, they are constantly mining these rallies for data,” Mary Jo Laupp, a former employee of Pete Buttigieg’s campaign for president, told the Times. “Feeding them false data was a bonus. The data they think they have, the data they are collecting from this rally, isn’t accurate.”

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez lauded the K-pop fans on Twitter. In a tweet aimed at Trump’s campaign manager, AOC wrote, “You just got ROCKED by teens on TikTok who flooded the Trump campaign w/ fake ticket reservations & tricked you into believing a million people wanted your white supremacist open mic enough to pack an arena during COVID.”

When not helping to propel BTS and other k-pop groups to the top of music charts, the fanbase has become increasingly involved in social activism. Last month, fans banded together to crash an app used by the Dallas Police Department and reclaimed racist hashtags like #WhiteLivesMatter.

chaos

#847 Post by chaos » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:04 pm

Pandemonium

#848 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:16 am

chaos wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:04 pm
After 2016, and especially this early in the game, I wouldn't pay any heed to any poll. One thing that will drastically change the numbers one way or the other later this Summer is who Biden will pick to be his VP.

kv

#849 Post by kv » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:51 pm

Facts...but I don't recall fox news polls like this in 2016...

chaos

#850 Post by chaos » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:33 pm

While DJT may be in a "fragile" mood, I don't know about the likelihood of his dropping out. (He tanked again in another Rasmussen poll - a poll that favors the GOP.)

Hypothetically though, who would run, Pence?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-fragil ... 18908.html

Trump in ‘fragile’ mood and may drop out of 2020 race if poll numbers don’t improve, GOP insiders tell Fox News
Richard Hall
The Independent June 29, 2020, 11:27 AM EDT

Donald Trump may drop out of the 2020 presidential race if he believes he has no chance of winning, a Republican Party operative reportedly told Fox News.

The claim comes in a report in the president’s favourite news outlet that cites a number of GOP insiders who are concerned about Mr Trump’s re-election prospects amid abysmal polling numbers.

Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, currently holds an average lead of nine points over the incumbent, according to a tracker of 2020 polls by RealClearPolitics.

Crucially, Mr Trump has lost support from older white voters — typically a bedrock of support for the Republican Party and a group that was crucial to his narrow 2016 victory. Mr Trump is also trailing the former vice president in almost all the swing states.

“It’s too early, but if the polls continue to worsen, you can see a scenario where he drops out,” one anonymous GOP operative told Fox News.

Charles Gasparino, the author of the Fox News report, said in a series of tweets that he had spoken to “major players” in the Republican party for the story. One of them described Mr Trump’s mood as “fragile” as his chances of a second-term looked increasingly dim.

Another of the GOP sources cited in the report said of the likelihood that Mr Trump will drop out: “I’ve heard the talk but I doubt it’s true. My bet is, he drops if he believes there’s no way to win.”

Mr Trump has repeatedly hit out at polling that shows him far behind Mr Biden. Last month, he tweeted that Fox News “should fire their Fake Pollster. Never had a good Fox Poll!”

On Monday, he tweeted: "Sorry to inform the Do Nothing Democrats, but I am getting VERY GOOD internal Polling Numbers. Just like 2016, the @nytimes Polls are Fake! The @FoxNews Polls are a JOKE! Do you think they will apologize to me & their subscribers AGAIN when I WIN? People want LAW, ORDER & SAFETY!"

But polls from all polling organisations show Mr Trump consistently behind by similar margins. In particular, they have shown high levels of disapproval over the president’s handling of the coronavirus and mass protests calling for racial justice after the police killing of George Floyd.

A recent Washington Post-Ipsos poll found that 36 per cent of American adults approve of Trump’s handling of the protests, while 62 percent disapprove. A New York Times poll returned similar numbers.

The same New York Times-Siena College poll found 58 per cent of Americans disapprove of his handling of the coronavirus outbreak, while only 38 percent approve — the worst ratings since the crisis began.

The Trump campaign called reports that the president would consider dropping out “the granddaddy of fake news”.

“Everyone knows that media polling has always been wrong about President Trump –­ they undersample Republicans and don’t screen for likely voters –­ in order to set false narratives,” Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh told Fox News.

“It won’t work. There was similar fretting in 2016 and if it had been accurate, Hillary Clinton would be in the White House right now.”

mockbee

#851 Post by mockbee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:58 am

Media eating the Rushmore stunt up hook line and sinker....
:noclue:

My mom has been a staunch working class white democrat her entire life. Would never miss an election.... ever. Rails against Republicans. Very "patriotic" in the lambasting of the capitalist pigs, the contempt of the beaurocratic fat cats, and in the protection of all the American workers, whether they're white, brown, black.....whatever.

She hates Trump with a passion.
I mean HATES him.
Probably more than anyone here.
Its all she can talk about.

But this election is different.
She might not vote.

She hates Biden almost as much.

No one is FOR Biden. No one.
Jon Stewart had to do a linguistic soup trapeze act the other day on Colbert in order to justify his vote for Biden.

That outlook, along with millions and millions of other working class whites out there, makes sense to me.

:noclue:

:wavesad:

chaos

#852 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:29 am

This is from the ProPublica newsletter I have sent to me via email:

8:01 AM (4 hours ago)

ProPublica

Not Shutting Up
BY STEPHEN ENGELBERG

Dear ProPublican,

ProPublica reached a historic milestone this week. On his 1,269th day in office, after unleashing more than 50,000 tweets about Sleepy Joe and an assortment of enemies he has derided as “goofy,” “a nut job” or “a clown,” the president of the United States finally had something to say about a ProPublica story. Honestly, the reality was far less exciting than how I had imagined it in my daydreams as a fearless defender of the First Amendment.

Neither I nor our news organization merited a derogatory nickname (Sad ProPublica? Slothful Steve?). President Donald Trump didn’t dismiss our journalism as fake news. While Trump did include the de rigueur assertion that he was the victim of unseen malevolent forces hoping to “make me look bad,” his tweet really didn’t make sense to anyone not closely following the issue it addressed. For a guy who pumps out an average of 986 tweets a month, it felt a little tossed off. No one even called me for comment, though we did do a story about it and Stephen Colbert mentioned the tweet on his show.
To understand what the president is talking about here, you need a bit of background. Stay with me, because this arcane story about construction techniques involves two things Trump cares deeply about: the future of his border wall and his bona fides as a builder.

It all begins, as so many good investigative stories do, with a tip.

Last month, a reporter for our investigative initiative with The Texas Tribune, Jeremy Schwartz, learned that a 3-mile span of border wall constructed with privately raised money was showing troubling signs of erosion at its base just a few months after its completion. Although COVID-19 was already spreading through Texas, we all thought this was worth a trip to the banks of the Rio Grande to see firsthand. The Tribune sent a freelance photographer to document the story. Schwartz joined forces with reporter Perla Trevizo to figure out the meaning of the gashes and gullies in the ground near the wall’s foundations.

Not being engineers or architects, they did what every good reporter does in such situations and started calling experts. As they reported, the consensus was clear: The wall should never have been built so close to the river. One civil engineer who has devoted his career to studying the Rio Grande basin predicted that portions of the structure could end up falling into the river if not fixed.

How could a construction company have made such a mistake? Well, for one thing, the company that built the wall, Fisher Industries, of Dickinson, North Dakota, had no previous experience doing projects in the Rio Grande Valley. For another, the point of this project was to prove that the company could build a wall far more quickly than its competitors, in weeks rather than years. CEO Tommy Fisher compared traditional government wall building to travel by horse and buggy, saying, “I have a Lamborghini, and there’s gonna be this concrete road, and we can do two hundred miles an hour, not ten.”

Fisher, whose attorney told ProPublica the erosion Schwartz had seen was a “normal part of projects like this” is himself an interesting character. He bid on the initial work on Trump’s border wall, and when the Army Corps of Engineers rejected his proposal, he went on a charm offensive on Fox News in which he lavishly praised the president and his policies. Not long after, Trump began pushing the idea that Fisher Industries should get a shot at building parts of the border wall. Soon, the Army Corps gave Fisher Industries a $400 million contract. Then came a $1.3 billion contract for segments of the wall in Arizona.

As Schwartz and Treviso pointed out, Fisher hired a lobbyist and drew on his relationship with North Dakota’s Sen. Kevin Cramer, a Republican, who touted the company to Jared Kushner and Trump. Fisher and his family, we reported in our initial story, gave Cramer at least $24,000 for his successful 2018 run for the Senate.

As he was campaigning for the lucrative Army Corps contracts, Fisher built two walls with help from We Build the Wall, a private group whose board members include Stephen Bannon, Erik Prince and other anti-immigration luminaries in Trump World.

The thrust of Trump’s tweet, for which there is no supporting evidence, is that the president had “disagreed” all along with the decision to build the private wall in this “tricky” part of the border. “It was only done to make me look bad, and perhsps it now doesn’t even work,” he wrote, misspelling “perhaps.” It’s hard to understand why Bannon and Prince, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ brother, would want to make Trump look bad.

A historical note: Because all news is basically circular, this story takes us back to the origin of the name of this column. In 2017, after Trump described a “running war” with the media, Bannon claimed that it was time for the press to “shut up.” My colleague and the original author of this column, ProPublica President Dick Tofel, responded by tweeting back, “We are not the Opposition. We are just trying to report the truth. And we will not shut up.”

Still not shutting up,
Steve

Artemis

#853 Post by Artemis » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:21 pm

What's going on with Fox News and Cheeto?? Seems that there's been a few stories recently where Fox is challenging Trump.

Hermann

#854 Post by Hermann » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:05 am

kv

#855 Post by kv » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:32 pm

Artemis wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:21 pm
What's going on with Fox News and Cheeto?? Seems that there's been a few stories recently where Fox is challenging Trump.
Writing is on the wall...they have to exist after him...

Hermann

#856 Post by Hermann » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:09 pm

Ady Barkan: “Can we agree that we can redirect some of the funding [from the police]?”

Joe Biden: “Yes, absolutely”

drwintercreeper

#857 Post by drwintercreeper » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:39 pm

Hermann

#858 Post by Hermann » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:48 pm

i'm undefeated, you will never beat me. i am a robot.

drwintercreeper

#859 Post by drwintercreeper » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:00 pm

Hermann

#860 Post by Hermann » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:05 pm

I'll do what I can. I'm here to help, apparently. What's on your mind?

Hermann

#861 Post by Hermann » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:00 pm

without mentioning trump, tell me why i should vote for biden.

you. have. NOTHING.

guysmiley

#862 Post by guysmiley » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:02 am

Bishop is that you? :lolol:

chaos

#863 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:16 pm

Artemis wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:21 pm

I just read about this interview; it aired yesterday.

Btw this is the "test" Trump brags about acing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... Fstory-ans

...Wallace later raised Trump’s attacks on Biden’s sharpness, and when Trump trotted out his claims to acing a cognitive test, Wallace was ready. As The Post’s Philip Bump has noted, the kind of test Trump has bragged about is remarkably simple because it aims to ferret out obvious mental impairments. Wallace noted that he can attest to this, because he took a similar exam.

“It’s not the hardest test,” Wallace said. He noted that one question asked him to identify an elephant by looking at a picture of one.

Trump then conceded that some questions are easy but then remarkably contended that some are difficult as the test goes on: “But I’ll bet you couldn’t even answer the last five questions. I’ll bet you couldn’t. They get very hard, the last five questions.”

Wallace shot back: “Well, one of them was count back from 100 by seven.” He began counting: “Ninety-three.”

In other circumstances, this could have come off as overly adversarial. But Wallace was putting his finger on the ridiculousness of the claim — just as he had so many times previously in the interview.

mockbee

#864 Post by mockbee » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:33 pm

Hermann wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:00 pm
tell me why i should vote for biden.

Because..... 120 million so far are dead of COVID..... THAT'S WHY!

:tiphat:

:lol:

Hermann

#865 Post by Hermann » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:50 pm

and biden is going to fix it?
it's here because of trump?

:crazy: