How Mexico Quietly Legalized Same-Sex Marriage

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
perkana

How Mexico Quietly Legalized Same-Sex Marriage

#1 Post by perkana » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:31 am

Happy news for a change...
In the U.S., the Supreme Court's widely anticipated ruling on same-sex marriage has been the focus of nonstop speculation and debate. In Mexico, meanwhile, the highest court effectively legalized same-sex unions this month with a decision that was so low key many failed to notice.

Mexico's Supreme Court quietly published an opinion, known as a jurisprudential thesis, ruling that defining marriage as a union only between a man and a woman is discriminatory and in violation of Mexico's constitution.

While the court did not explicitly say that same-sex unions were legal, the decision is seen as having that effect. And this month's ruling follows a number of court decisions in the past year that pointed in the same direction.
This case and a series of other successful challenges to state bans on same-sex marriage prompted the Supreme Court's ruling this month. However, the Supreme Court decision did not go so far as to invalidate state laws. Local city clerks can still refuse to grant a marriage license to same-sex couples.

Couples denied marriage licenses can now directly appeal to local judges who will be bound by the Supreme Court ruling and must force local clerks to issue the license.

"No judge can exclude same-sex couples from marriage in any part of the country," says Estefania Vela Barba, an associate law professor in Mexico City.

She says the Supreme Court justices particularly objected to state laws that determined the purpose of marriage as procreation. Vela Barba says the court ruled such statements as incorrect and discriminatory.

"So for all purposes, there is no reason to exclude same-sex couples from marriage because they can perform what marriage is about ... helping each other out," she says.
http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2 ... x-marriage

nausearockpig

Re: How Mexico Quietly Legalized Same-Sex Marriage

#2 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:42 pm

wow, that's awesome. all you guys gotta do now is get rid of the cartels....... :-)

perkana

#3 Post by perkana » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:03 am

Why do you have to rain on my parade, mate? :mad: I f only people who dealt drugs with them would stop :wink:

nausearockpig

#4 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:09 pm

No I was being honest about the gay marriage thing. It's sometimes annoyingly hard to convey feelings online. It is awesome and I'm in awe of your country's progressive thinking... we don't have it here yet which is retarded.. What's more retarded is this: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-11/c ... ge/6539412 that guy is a fucking idiot and a moron.. lol.. someone created a fake gay dating profile for him.. lol lol lol

perkana

#5 Post by perkana » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:54 pm

I suck at being sarcastic online :lol: Should have :wink: after :mad:
I heard about that. Here people think like that, but I'm glad judges made it happen. My brother told me it would, but I was skeptical about it. Now I have no excuses not to get married (not that I preached I would get married à la Angelina Jolie/Brad Pitt). Ok, if that couple can get divorced, I will (sarcasm)

nausearockpig

#6 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:26 pm

perkana wrote:...//...Now I have no excuses not to get married ...//....
@ Creep: You may as well read that as an open invitation to go man... http://www.farecompare.com/12q/results. ... city-state

ANR.ORG buck's night!!!! I wonder who we can get as the house band and stripper??????????? :lolol: