Flags and racism

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Bandit72

Flags and racism

#1 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:29 pm

Didn't the General Lee in the Dukes of Hazard have the Confederate flag on its roof?

The South Carolina story has been on the news tonight, is it really THAT bad? I don't know, just asking. Is it like a swastika flag? Or is it the result of recent events? I would have thought if it caused people so much discomfort then it would have been removed a long time ago.

kv

Re: Flags and racism

#2 Post by kv » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Yes it did have the flag on the roof that's why it just lost it syndication on the channel that was running the reruns

And ya its that bad it represents the side that fought for slavery in the civil war as well as being the klu klux klans flag of choice

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:42 pm

i don't see what the big deal is over the flag but i do think it should not be flown at state buildings. that is just common sense. give us back our dukes of hazzard.

kv

#4 Post by kv » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:51 pm

I think like creep...get it off the state buildings...everyone else can hang nazi flags for all I care just serves to easily identify the idiots out there

chaos

#5 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

I'vs always thought of the confederate battle flag as a flag of treason since the south wanted to secede (primarily because northern states would not support slavery - a state's right not to support it).

mockbee

#6 Post by mockbee » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:26 pm

Yeah, what other people are saying.

Here is a little back story if you don't already know.

The South seceded from the United States in 1861, the first state to secede was South Carolina. The election of Lincoln the year prior, on an anti-slavery platform, was the main catalyst. I'm sure you already know about the civil war, just details can be mired in dogma, like states rights. It's pure and simple, the Civil War was a war over slavery.
Republicans captured over 60 percent of the Northern vote, while winning three-fourths of its Congressional delegations. They were said by the Southern press to represent the antislavery portion of the North, "a party founded on the single sentiment…of hatred of African slavery", now to be the controlling power in national affairs. The "Black Republican party" could overwhelm conservative Yankee persuasion. Said the New Orleans Delta, "It is in fact, essentially, a revolutionary party" to overthrow slavery.

Further:
In what later became known as the Cornerstone Speech, Confederate States of America Vice President Alexander Stephens declared that the "cornerstone" of the new government "rest[ed] upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth".
So yeah, the flag that represents this cause it a big deal. It should have been relegated to museums a long, long time ago.

It's been a big deal for a long, long time, just white people in the south don't speak up about it, so nothing happens.

chaos

#7 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:51 pm

mockbee wrote: I'm sure you already know about the civil war, just details can be mired in dogma, like states rights. It's pure and simple, the Civil War was a war over slavery.
Yeah, the sarcasm was lost in my comment. My point is that it's ironic that southern states were pretty big about treating states' rights as sacred yet couldn't cope with the fact that New England States allowed abolitionist societies. There is a myth perpetuated by some people who support the confederate flag that the flag represents a fight for "states' rights."

mockbee

#8 Post by mockbee » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:36 pm

chaos wrote:
mockbee wrote: I'm sure you already know about the civil war, just details can be mired in dogma, like states rights. It's pure and simple, the Civil War was a war over slavery.
Yeah, the sarcasm was lost in my comment. My point is that it's ironic that southern states were pretty big about treating states' rights as sacred yet couldn't cope with the fact that New England States allowed abolitionist societies. There is a myth perpetuated by some people who support the confederate flag that the flag represents a fight for "states' rights."
Oh, no, I wasn't referring to your comment, I was just giving a little background for Bandit.

And yes, it really surprised me when I learned that the confederate states main problem was the abolitionist northern states and the election of Lincoln and THEY started the war, not the north. I mean I always knew about Sumter, just thought it was more a retaliation from actual northern encroachment. The northern states had no plans to encroach on Southern "rights", but their hand was forced. :neutral:

Bandit72

#9 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:26 am

Cool, thank you.

Romeo

#10 Post by Romeo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:19 am

creep wrote:i don't see what the big deal is over the flag but i do think it should not be flown at state buildings. that is just common sense. give us back our dukes of hazzard.
I agree. And I agree with KV.

It does not belong on ANY Government Buildings, I don't care what idiot decides to fly it on their homes. It just makes it easier to spot the racists.

perkana

#11 Post by perkana » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:09 am

Sorry, but this made me laugh...
Attachments
FB_IMG_1436543299549.jpg
FB_IMG_1436543299549.jpg (49.72 KiB) Viewed 8336 times

SR

#12 Post by SR » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:28 am

I spent the better part of yesterday in n fl, Alabama, and Louisiana. Every other billboard was anti abortion and anti evolution themed. The people oozed stupid. If they knew my politics I would be hung. Stewart had it right when he said racism is the problem we pretend not to have. Sucks to be embarrassed of your place of birth.....but far worse the people I've encountered in the last 24 still thrive

Artemis

#13 Post by Artemis » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Since Dukes of Hazzard was mentioned in this thread, I'm posting this here.
This is one of the funniest and most eerily prescient SNL skit ever...
Their hilarious "politically correct" version of the "Dukes of Hazzard" from 10 years ago eerily predicted the Confederate flag debate.

Angry Canine

#14 Post by Angry Canine » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:46 pm

It is very much like a swastika. There are probably a large hunk of younger southern whites that genuinely don't identify it with what it really signifies. But that racial overtones are the main reason for it being a symbol of secession, and treason originally, and the only reason for its resurgence in the 70's.

I don't think it was ever intended as anything but visual cartoonishness on "The Dukes of Hazard." I don't think it was intended to carry any message whatsoever there.

Romeo

#15 Post by Romeo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:14 am

speaking of swastika

I had the pleasure of seeing this banner fly by all day on Saturday

http://gawker.com/swastika-rehabilitati ... 1717352810

The people on the beach with me just sat there with a look of shock

Angry Canine

#16 Post by Angry Canine » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:21 am

Yeah, the Nazis hijacked a very ancient symbol for a completely different meaning. Much like the gays hijacked the rainbow...my only problem with that group. That's not the case with the Confederate battle flag though.

kv

#17 Post by kv » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:46 pm

Ya the swastika used to have a good luck meaning like a horseshoe....but ya that is never gonna mean that again

Romeo

#18 Post by Romeo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:40 am

well now because of the connection to Nazi Germany it'll never be accepted again.

even though it's a good symbol in Buddhism