Republican Debate - August 6th

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Matz

Re: Republican Debate - August 6th

#21 Post by Matz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:33 am

no option for none of the above.

and yeah, if I'm goin in I'm goin in with a 100 USD, otherwise it's no fun.

SR

#22 Post by SR » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:59 am

chaos

#23 Post by chaos » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:12 pm

At first I was so disappointed, but he won't be in NH tonight (neither will Huckabee and a few others).

Trump will be at the debate on Aug 6th. That will be must see tv. :lol:

SR

#24 Post by SR » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:19 pm

:lol: It may be possible to be embarrassed for him? :essence:

SR

#25 Post by SR » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:21 pm

The Donald's cell

917 756-8000

Artemis

#26 Post by Artemis » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:30 pm

SR wrote:The Donald's cell

917 756-8000

I wonder how many people will call and say " YOU'RE FIRED!!" and hang up. :lol:
Last edited by Artemis on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matz

#27 Post by Matz » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:46 pm

:lol:

chaos

#28 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:49 pm

Let the games begin! :lol:

The following have been granted a spot to participate in Thursday's coveted Fox News debate:

Fox News announces GOP debate field
David Jackson, USA TODAY 6:34 p.m. EDT August 4, 2015

John Kasich and Chris Christie are in — Rick Perry is out.

Kasich and Christie clinched the last two spots for this week's 10-candidate debate, Fox News announced Tuesday, joining Donald Trump, Jeb Bush, Scott Walker, Mike Huckabee, Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and Rand Paul.

The debate will be 9 p.m. Thursday in Cleveland.

Perry finished 11th in the aggregate of polls Fox used to determine the field. That relegated the former Texas governor to a debate at 5 p.m. Thursday with other candidates outside the top 10: Rick Santorum, Carly Fiorina, Bobby Jindal, Lindsey Graham, George Pataki and Jim Gilmore.

"Our field is the biggest and most diverse of any party in history and I am glad to see that every one of those extremely qualified candidates will have the opportunity to participate on Thursday evening," said GOP chairman Reince Priebus. "Republicans across the country will be able to choose which candidate has earned their support after hearing them talk through the issues."

Perry's absence from the prime-time debate eliminates one of the party's most outspoken critics of Trump, the brash billionaire who leads Republican preference polls.

Taking the rejection in stride, Perry tweeted that he is looking forward to the 5 p.m. debate "for what will be a serious exchange of ideas & positive solutions to get America back on track."

Candidates who struggled to get into the top 10 protested Fox's selection process, which was based on national polls. They pointed out that the nomination is decided state-by-state, starting with the Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primary.

During a forum Monday in New Hampshire, businesswoman Carly Fiorina thanked organizers for inviting all the candidates and "reminding the political class that we don't have a national primary."

Most of the focus of Thursday's prime-time session will be on Trump, who is running his first political race and participating in his first campaign debate.

The New York-based businessman has attributed his success to the immigration issue and to his triumphs in the business world.

"People see that, and I would put all of that energy and whatever that brain power is ... into making our country successful and our country grow again," Trump said Tuesday on MSNBC.

Asked how he might handle Trump in the debate, Kasich jokingly told CNN, "maybe I'll give him a hug."

As for Bush, he said Tuesday that "I respect the guy who’s the frontrunner in the Republican nomination."

In naming the debate field, Fox News said that Trump led its poll aggregation with 23.4% percent, followed by Bush at 12.0% and Walker at 10.2%.

The remainder of the top ten: Huckabee (6.6%), Carson (5.8%), Cruz (5.4%), Rubio (5.4%), Paul (4.8%), Christie (3.4%) and Kasich (3.2%).

The percentages for the other candidates: Perry (1.8%), Santorum (1.4%), Jindal (1.4%), Fiorina (1.3%), Graham (0.7%), Pataki (0.6%) and Gilmore (0.2%).

creep
Site Admin

#29 Post by creep » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:47 pm

does rand paul wear a wig? having curly hair on top is a trick of the bald man to make a wig look more like hair.

creep
Site Admin

#30 Post by creep » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:49 pm

ted cruz does have the best hair of all the candidates if that counts for anything.

mockbee

#31 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:54 am

Jeb Bush Causes a Stir on Women’s Health Issues
mike barbaro

It was a casual aside from Jeb Bush, but it could haunt him throughout a campaign in which women’s votes — and issues — may prove pivotal.

During an interview on Tuesday with religious conservatives, Mr. Bush suggested that the federal government had overfunded women’s health.

“I’m not sure we need half a billion dollars for women’s health issues,” Mr. Bush said at a Southern Baptist Convention event in Nashville.

For perspective, the federal government spends about $1 trillion a year on health care.

Amid a storm of Democratic mockery, Mr. Bush backtracked within a few hours, saying he had misspoken.

The assertion came in the middle of his answer to a question about defunding Planned Parenthood, the subject of hidden-camera videos that have portrayed its employees in unflattering ways.

Mr. Bush, a former governor of Florida, said the federal government should stop financing Planned Parenthood. He then veered off course, into a discussion of what could be done instead with the $500 million in federal funds the organization receives annually.

“You could take dollar for dollar — although I’m not sure we need half a billion dollars for women’s health issues,” he said, “but if you took, dollar for dollar, there are many extraordinary fine organizations, community health organizations, that exist, federally sponsored organizations, to provide quality care for women on a variety of health issues.”

( wtf :hs: :scared: )

The remark highlighted a larger problem for Mr. Bush: Out of office for eight years, he has occasionally stumbled in interviews. He spent days struggling to answer whether he would have invaded Iraq even with hindsight knowledge about intelligence failures. At first, he said he would have; then, he said he had misheard the question; later, he said he did not wish to answer the question out of sensitivity to veterans; finally, he said he would not have invaded the country.

In a statement on Tuesday night, Mr. Bush sought to clarify his original wording: “With regards to women’s health funding broadly, I misspoke, as there are countless community health centers, rural clinics, and other women’s health organizations that need to be fully funded. They provide critical services to all, but particularly low-income women who don’t have the access they need.”

Still, Mr. Bush’s original language earned a rebuke on Twitter from Hillary Rodham Clinton’s campaign: “You are absolutely, unequivocally wrong.”

At an event in Denver on Tuesday night, Mrs. Clinton expanded her critique, saying of Mr. Bush “He’s got no problem giving billions away to the wealthy and big corporations. I guess women’s health just isn’t a priority for him.”

Other Democrats, some of whom are supporting Mrs. Clinton in her quest to become the country’s first woman to be elected president, also weighed in.

Dan Pfeiffer, a former communications director for President Obama, posted a message on Twitter mocking Mr. Bush. “A few more months of this and the G.O.P. will be wishing for a candidate with the political skills of Mitt Romney,” he wrote.

Matz, you can just send me the 100 USD if you haven't placed your bet yet.......you aren't seeing any of that money again anyways. :hehe: :wink:

This "debate" might be fascinating....... :lol: :balls:

Matz

#32 Post by Matz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:02 pm

:lol: I know exactly what I'm doin!........well, maybe anyway...the jury's still out on whether or not I'm goin in.......but I think I am :lol:

I wonder where W was at this stage in the game way back in 99? Probably not doing good at all saying similar nonsensical things as Jeb and look what happened in the end....the weasel won.

mockbee

#33 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:20 pm

Matz wrote::lol: I know exactly what I'm doin!........well, maybe anyway...the jury's still out on whether or not I'm goin in.......but I think I am :lol:

I wonder where W was at this stage in the game way back in 99? Probably not doing good at all saying similar nonsensical things as Jeb and look what happened in the end....the weasel won.
UNH News Bureau

DURHAM, N.H. -- George W. Bush has maintained his lead over the Republican primary field in New Hampshire. Elizabeth Dole, John McCain, and Steve Forbes are vying for the second slot and the remaining candidates are picking up little support. Bush also has strong positive name recognition among New Hampshire Republicans.

These findings are based on the latest WMUR / CNN Poll, conducted by the University of New Hampshire Survey Center. The WMUR / CNN Poll is sponsored by WMUR TV, Channel 9 in Manchester, New Hampshire and CNN. The poll was conducted Sept. 5-11, with a random sample of 702 likely New Hampshire primary voters interviewed by telephone. In 95 out of 100 cases, the statewide estimate will be accurate to plus or minus 3.7 percent.

With 5 months remaining until the New Hampshire first-in-the-nation Presidential Primary, Texas Gov. George W. Bush has increased his lead over his nearest rivals, Elizabeth Dole, Arizona Senator John McCain, and businessman Steve Forbes. Bush is currently favored by 45% of New Hampshire¼s likely Republican primary voters, Dole is favored by 15%, McCain is favored by 12%, and Forbes is favored by 10%.

In the May, 1999 WMUR / CNN Poll, George W. Bush was favored by 37% of likely Republican primary voters, Dole was favored by 16%, 14% favored McCain, and 6% favored Forbes.

........George W. Bush runs strongly with all subgroups of Republicans and is particularly popular among Republicans with post-graduate educations and lower income Republicans. Elizabeth Dole¼s receives somewhat more support from women than men, but women are still more likely to support Bush. John McCain¼s strongest support comes from older Republicans, union households, and non-church goers.

September 14, 1999

How Reliable Are the Early Presidential Polls?.........Conversely, in the run-up to the 2000 election, early 1999 polls showed Texas Gov. George W. Bush with a wide lead over Vice President Al Gore. Bush won the election in the Electoral College but lost the popular vote..
Not lookin' good for you Matz..... :essence:

Your money would be better spent on Trump I think at this point. :wink:

A certain segment of the American public's tolerance for "stupid" is off the charts, I don't think Jeb! can even match it.

He's toast if he can't capture the "stupid" vote, you wouldn't think he would be required to be more stupid, but I think that is what the conservative tea party "base" is calling for.

W barely, barely beat a tree stump in Gore in 2000, Hillary will run circles around him with the middle America blue collar vote, a segment Obama had a lot of trouble capturing.

Matz

#34 Post by Matz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:24 am

ah ah, no money on Trump! That's silly. I don't think he wants to be president in the end. I think that on the one hand he's flattered about how well he's doing and on the other sees it as kind of a problem because of the aforementioned reason.

My problem with this betting thing is that I don't know any of the other republican candidates. Perhaps I should look into that. :lol:
Right now I see them all as nobodies I've never heard of = they don't have a chance.

Glad to see I was wrong about W in 99 and that he was actually well in the lead at this point. Makes me hopeful Jeb doesn't make it.

Artemis

#35 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:51 pm

This has been making the rounds on Facebook the last couple of days.

Someone made a Bingo game of all the crazy things Trump may say at Thursdays debate.

Artemis

#36 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:05 pm

In case anybody is interested in Canadian politics ( :hehe: ) there will be a big debate in Canada tonight too. We have a federal election coming up in October.

This is a debate with the 4 national leaders for: Green Party, Liberal Party, Conservative Party, NDP(New Democratic Party)

i know it won't be as exciting as the Republican debate.

http://www.macleans.ca/national-leaders-debate/

mockbee

#37 Post by mockbee » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:37 pm

Artemis wrote:In case anybody is interested in Canadian politics ( :hehe: ) there will be a big debate in Canada tonight too. We have a federal election coming up in October.

This is a debate with the 4 national leaders for: Green Party, Liberal Party, Conservative Party, NDP(New Democratic Party)

i know it won't be as exciting as the Republican debate.

http://www.macleans.ca/national-leaders-debate/

I think you need to get rid of Harper. :nod:

If I had to guess on those other people and what party they represent, I would say the bearded dude is New Democratic, the woman is Liberal and the young dude Green, and Harper Conservative.

Why do you guys get to have all this nonsense over so quickly?!!!

Elections here are 15 months away and campaigning is in full swing.......

creep
Site Admin

#38 Post by creep » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:29 pm

this is pretty entertaining.

mockbee

#39 Post by mockbee » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:10 pm

What channel is Fox News on.....? :hs: I can't find it..... whatever.

Oh okay I found it.

These people are scary....... I think I am going have nightmares..... :scared:

creep
Site Admin

#40 Post by creep » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:55 pm

how is "does god talk to you" even a debate question?

it just makes our country look silly.

from what i have gathered from the debate the biggest threat to our country is planned parenthood.

i'm not sure who won but marco rubio was the worst.

mockbee

#41 Post by mockbee » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:01 am

I only saw the last part of....whatever that was on stage there, but I wouldn't be surprised if Donald Trump's lead in the polls is expanded after the debate.
It's baffling to me that Fox pundits were dismissing him as if he had been exposed.
He says there is no time to say "sorry for calling women pigs because he has a country to fix" and the audience ate it up.

Fox has created a monster and they are not going to be able to get rid of it. Republicans are doomed. He will run third party if Bush gets it.

thank god....and no he hasn't said anything to me that I can remember. :eyes:

creep
Site Admin

#42 Post by creep » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:34 am

i did think this was funny

Artemis

#43 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:02 am

mockbee wrote:

I think you need to get rid of Harper. :nod:

If I had to guess on those other people and what party they represent, I would say the bearded dude is New Democratic, the woman is Liberal and the young dude Green, and Harper Conservative.

Why do you guys get to have all this nonsense over so quickly?!!!

Elections here are 15 months away and campaigning is in full swing.......
Totally agree about Harper.

You were right about the bearded being NDP, but wrong about the young dude and woman. Young dude is a Liberal (Justin Trudeau, son of former PM, Pierre Trudeau), woman is Elizabeth May for the Greens.

The campaign period is usually less than 2 months, this time the campaign period 11 weeks. I think this is one of the longest in Canadian history.
My Canadian friends can correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason the nonsense goes quickly is because Parliament has to be dissolved before a federal election can be called. The PM will ask the governor general (representative of the Queen) to call an election and the gg will dissolve parliament(shut down the legislature) and announce the federal election. I've really simplified here and may have missed a couple of points. Anyway, all the members of the House of Commons (308) have to campaign to get re-elected, so nobody is actually working in the house during the election period.
In Canada there are strict spending election spending rules too.

How the election all adds up
By the numbers

$73.6 million
Maximum amount 338 candidates from a single political party can spend nation-wide.

60%
Share of candidates’ eligible expenses reimbursed by the public, if they get 10 per cent of the vote.

14.8 million
Number of voters in the last federal election, around 60 per cent of the 24.3 million eligible electors.

$5.14
If a party’s candidates all spend to the maximum limit, it works out to about $5 per voter based on 2011 turnout.

$28.6 million
The maximum amount that candidates for each political party can spend in Ontario ridings alone, the most out of any province
Last edited by Artemis on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artemis

#44 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:08 am

creep wrote:how is "does god talk to you" even a debate question?

it just makes our country look silly.

from what i have gathered from the debate the biggest threat to our country is planned parenthood.

i'm not sure who won but marco rubio was the worst.
The God question was lame...what a waste of time.

Yeah, I don't understand why planned parenthood is so evil. :noclue:

For me the guys who stood out most, in a good was Ben Carson and Kasich.

The Donald is good for entertainment value, for sure. :lol:

SR

#45 Post by SR » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:16 am

And hill's response.....a selfie with Kim and Kanye. :sui: