“A perfect shitstorm of Islamaphobia”

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
chaos

“A perfect shitstorm of Islamaphobia”

#1 Post by chaos » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:15 am

http://www.pixable.com/article/ahmed-mo ... re=twitter

Texas 9th Grader Ahmed Mohamed Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock To School Teachers Thought Was A Bomb

by Mitchell Friedman
Associate Editor
Posted on September 16, 2015, 8:18 AM

14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed built a digital clock and brought it to school to show his engineering teacher. Ahmed can also build radios and repair go-karts, according to the Dallas News, but you can’t bring a go-kart to class.

Seeing the clock — a panel of circuitry with the time on a digital display placed within a latched case — his engineering teacher told him, in Ahmed’s words:

“He was like, ‘That’s really nice. I would advise you not to show any other teachers.”

That advice ended up prophetic as the 14-year-old inventor, eager to show off the skills he learned in robotics club as a middle schooler, would find himself led by the principal and a police officer to a room with four more officers where he was interrogated, searched and finally arrested.

Wired calls the situation “a perfect shitstorm of Islamaphobia” (before explaining how to make Ahmed’s simple clock, which Ahmed put together in nearly 20-minutes).

Ahmed kept the clock in his bag until it beeped during English class, and his teacher “complained,” according to the Dallas News. “Ahmed brought his invention up to show her afterward,” and she told him it looked like a bomb. She kept the invention, and soon Ahmed found himself in a room with police.

“They were like, ‘So you tried to make a bomb?’” recalls Ahmed.

“‘I told them no, I was trying to make a clock.”

To which the officer responded, “It looks like a movie bomb to me.”

Ahmed left school at 3 p.m. in handcuffs, led to a juvenile detention center for fingerprints and to meet his parents. He didn’t go to jail. The principal gave him a three day suspension.

Ahmed’s father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, had this to say:

“He just wants to invent good things for mankind. But because his name is Mohamed and because of Sept. 11, I think my son got mistreated.”

A cousin of Ahmed and fellow participant in middle school robotics, 15-year-old Muram Irbahim felt rattled. “It just shocked me that people could do this to him,” she said. “He’s a 14-year-old boy and he’s a genius.”

For their part, the police didn’t think they had all the information on the device. Police spokesman James McLellan told the Dallas News, “We have no information that he claimed it was a bomb. He kept maintaining it was a clock, but there was no broader explanation.

It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in the a bathroom or under a car. The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?”

As the Council on American-Islamic Relations investigates the case, online support for Ahmed takes the form of #IstandwithAhmed and #helpAhmedmake.

JOEinPHX

Re: “A perfect shitstorm of Islamaphobia”

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:17 pm

Texas leading the way on ignorance yet again.

Romeo

#3 Post by Romeo » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Yea well....fuck you Texas

President ObamaVerified account
‏@POTUS
Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It's what makes America great.
And he invited him to the White House

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /72348060/

If his name was John Smith his school would have nominated him for the Science Fair

chaos

#4 Post by chaos » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:24 pm

:no:

Hype

#5 Post by Hype » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:02 am

That's a PDF...

Angry Canine

#6 Post by Angry Canine » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:41 am

Anyone that is in even a remote position of authority should be trained to ID a bomb. (I got trained, and retrained annually working with planes) It's pretty easy to tell at just a cursory glance at the kid's clock, that there is no explosive. You don't need to know electronics well enough to tell what a device does do, to be able to tell that it isn't a bomb. :noclue:

kv

#7 Post by kv » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:17 pm

No teachers should not be trained to id bombs

Angry Canine

#8 Post by Angry Canine » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:42 pm

kv wrote:No teachers should not be trained to id bombs
Maybe not when we were growing up, but now they should. It's not a huge amount to learn. It's basically three parts, an explosive, a power source, and an igniter. All someone like a teacher, or rent-a-cop really need to know is to look for the explosive, because the other two parts are harmless without the explosive...even if they are arranged to become a bomb. They usually consist of a timer or a cell phone (igniter), and a 9v battery, or two (power source). Basically any alarm clock is potentially a bomb...just add explosive in place of the buzzer.

There's no place for an explosive to be hiding there.

Hype

#9 Post by Hype » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:57 pm