California shooting

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
nausearockpig

California shooting

#1 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Did I miss the topic somewhere or there just wasn't one created (because these shootings are so commonplace now that it doesn't warrant its own thread)?

guysmiley

Re: California shooting

#2 Post by guysmiley » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:31 pm

I think the thing that gets me the most down is....I'm not even shocked by any of this anymore. That might be what is the most fucked up about this. I know I'm not the only one.

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:32 pm

no one mentioned it....probably just like you said...they are becoming too common.

i was reading a thread on this on facebook and of course someone mentioned gun control. someone posted this about your country. it's amazing how dumb people are. how many times have you been robbed at gunpoint?
I read a story that says Australians are being robbed all the time because only criminals have guns. So if their awful government would just give their guns back they could protect themselves. We all need an AK, right!

Artemis

#4 Post by Artemis » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:32 pm

Home owners in Australia get goannas for protection.
Who needs a gun when you can have one of these beasts instead? :lol:

Yeah, the shooting yesterday was disturbing, but not shocking.

kv

#5 Post by kv » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:55 pm

honestly i was impressed with how well local police and the like responded...they prob saved a shit ton of lives

nausearockpig

#6 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:27 am

creep wrote:no one mentioned it....probably just like you said...they are becoming too common.

i was reading a thread on this on facebook and of course someone mentioned gun control. someone posted this about your country. it's amazing how dumb people are. how many times have you been robbed at gunpoint?
I read a story that says Australians are being robbed all the time because only criminals have guns. So if their awful government would just give their guns back they could protect themselves. We all need an AK, right!
Yeah mean gubberment, gimme me gurns back!!! What. The. Fuck. There was a drive about 15 or 20 years back where people could give up their guns no questions asked. Fuck me. I can't even remember when I last read about a gun toting mugger.

We did have some bikies do a drive by on one of their rival bosses maybe in the last few years back but as you said, and can imagine armed crimes are currently few and far between.

Bandit72

#7 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:51 am

nausearockpig wrote:Fuck me. I can't even remember when I last read about a gun toting mugger.

We did have some bikies do a drive by on one of their rival bosses maybe in the last few years back but as you said, and can imagine armed crimes are currently few and far between.
Same here. I know I live in a big city, but gun crime is pretty non existent. Guns exist obviously, but rarely used outside of 'gang land'. The most notable one was New Day in 2003 when two innocent black girls were shot outside a party. This was like BIG news for us. I'm just waiting for the inevitable Daesh attack...

mockbee

#8 Post by mockbee » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:58 am

Curious to know how international people on here view their general safety if/when visiting the US.
Do you think you have to be on the lookout for gun play on the streets or it's just some oddity about the US?

I've not witnessed any shootings but I see too many civilians walking around with handguns in Oregon and Arizona. :noclue:

Artemis

#9 Post by Artemis » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:18 am

mockbee wrote:Curious to know how international people on here view their general safety if/when visiting the US.
When I visit cities in the US, I generally feel safe. The only place where I felt really nervous was in Tampa, FL. I felt like I had to be extra aware of my surroundings.
Atlanta was a little that way for me too. On one visit there, near the World of Coca Cola, I saw a really heavy police presence, tons of cops and cruisers. I don't know what happened, I just got out of the area.

Bandit72

#10 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:09 am

mockbee wrote:Curious to know how international people on here view their general safety if/when visiting the US.
Do you think you have to be on the lookout for gun play on the streets or it's just some oddity about the US?
Never thought about it because the US is that big. Felt safe as houses in Florida in the Summer. Obviously I didn't frequent any 'dodgy' suburbs. Saying that, when I was in Coney Island in 2008, I was advised not to hang around after dusk...

Everybody's Friend

#11 Post by Everybody's Friend » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:59 am

I'm waiting for everyone to change their FB profiles to the California flag...

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:05 pm

There's a lot about this incident that is disturbing and telling as to the current weird state of mind in this country and the media beyond the obvious fact that a couple shot up a large gathering of people in a ISIS/Religiously motivated terrorism attack resulting in 14 deaths and over 20 injured.

The media was apparently told by government officials under no uncertain terms in the hours after the shooting (and subsequent gun battle w/cops) not to mention the couple's names or the fact they were of Middle Eastern ethnicity. This despite the fact anyone could monitor police frequencies online where cops were openly discussing both topics within half an hour after the initial massacre.

The authorities relentlessly used the term "Long Guns" the first couple days as if the couple were using old shotguns in the attack when it was clear they were using typical modern assault weapons.

Several neighbors around the couple's home in Redlands noticed small groups of well dressed Middle Eastern men regularly coming and going to the home in the weeks leading to the attack and acting "suspiciously" but didn't report them to authorities because they didn't want to be thought of as racially profiling those people.

This morning, the media was allowed to basically ransack the now-dead couple's home barely 72 hours after the event occured. Apparently the owner of the property (the couple rented the home) was told by the FBI they were done searching the place and he was allowed back in. A huge throng of reporters have been camped out at the address the past few days and when the owner arrived to go in, at least one reporter gave him $1,000 to enter the house which resulted in *all* the reporters as well as neighbors and anyone else who wanted to drop by to go inside and tour the trashed home. Considering most crime scene locations especially something as major as this are boarded up/crime taped for weeks and even months before they can be reclaimed, not only does this look like a fuck up on the FBI's part, but I'd also guess some privacy laws regarding the relatives/representatives of the couple have been violated at least by the landlord.

nausearockpig

#13 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:37 pm

I've not witnessed any shootings but I see too many civilians walking around with handguns in Oregon and Arizona. :noclue:
Ever since I was about 15 I've joked about only visiting the states if I was allowed to carry a 9mm Barretta :lolol:

Not so much of a joke now. But seriously though I would still visit but the constant threat or worry that "something" might happen would be there in the back of my mind. Not that I could do anything to stop it even if I was packing heat. I guess I'll just avoid the US... I'd rather go to France. Well, I did want to go...

creep
Site Admin

#14 Post by creep » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:54 pm

nausearockpig wrote:

Ever since I was about 15 I've joked about only visiting the states if I was allowed to carry a 9mm Barretta :lolol:

Not so much of a joke now. But seriously though I would still visit but the constant threat or worry that "something" might happen would be there in the back of my mind. Not that I could do anything to stop it even if I was packing heat. I guess I'll just avoid the US... I'd rather go to France. Well, I did want to go...
you have to remember that the united states is pretty big. california alone has nearly double the population of australia. more shit is going to happen here obviously. i have never been afraid for my safety here (in regards to getting shot). i've been a little nervous in tijuana and dubai but that was being nervous for ending up in jail. not murdered. :noclue:

edit....i was nervous once when i got off on the wrong exit in newark, nj. i was in part of town where i didn't belong and i was lost. as long as you are in a decent part of a city i see nothing that would make me nervous.

Hype

#15 Post by Hype » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:41 pm

Well, it's not just bigger. The culture really is different, and weird. Wisconsin apparently needs signs in the windows of stores that say "Please don't bring your guns in here." I found that pretty fucked up. And Wisconsin has less people than the greater Toronto area... more shootings though...

creep
Site Admin

#16 Post by creep » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:48 pm

Hype wrote:Well, it's not just bigger. The culture really is different, and weird. Wisconsin apparently needs signs in the windows of stores that say "Please don't bring your guns in here." I found that pretty fucked up. And Wisconsin has less people than the greater Toronto area... more shootings though...
were you afraid of getting shot while you were there? i doubt it.

madison averages about 5 murders a year. pretty safe place. their biggest problem is heroin. :noclue:

Hype

#17 Post by Hype » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:52 pm

creep wrote:
Hype wrote:Well, it's not just bigger. The culture really is different, and weird. Wisconsin apparently needs signs in the windows of stores that say "Please don't bring your guns in here." I found that pretty fucked up. And Wisconsin has less people than the greater Toronto area... more shootings though...

madison averages about 5 murders a year. pretty safe place. their biggest problem is heroin. :noclue:
I wasn't afraid of getting shot in Madison. Madison is almost entirely affluent, educated, white, and almost entirely undergraduate kids. To be fair, there could have been a school shooting, I guess. But that has happened at least twice in Canada in the past 50 years...

I was worried when I was on a bus to Chicago that stopped in the middle of nowhere Illinois, and an alert came up on my phone saying there was just a shooting like a block away... :confused:

Hype

#18 Post by Hype » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:50 am

Hype wrote:
creep wrote:

I wasn't afraid of getting shot in Madison. Madison is almost entirely affluent, educated, white, and almost entirely undergraduate kids. To be fair, there could have been a school shooting, I guess. But that has happened at least twice in Canada in the past 50 years...

I was worried when I was on a bus to Chicago that stopped in the middle of nowhere Illinois, and an alert came up on my phone saying there was just a shooting like a block away... :confused:
... coincidentally, this showed up in my news feed this morning:
http://wbay.com/2015/12/05/neenah-polic ... on-cycles/
Neenah Police are asking residents who live within a 1/4 mile radius from Main and Doty Streets to shelter in place away from windows, in a basement if possible. The request comes in response to a shooting and active hostage situation at Eagle Nation Cycles Saturday morning.

Police say a man walked into the store and fired a weapon.
This just doesn't happen anywhere else in the world with this kind of frequency...

Hype

#19 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:38 pm

Worse: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/aus ... 945fefe26b
Unlike the horrific mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, last week, there was no loss of innocent life, and unlike every other major U.S. city, Austin has not had a single mass shooting in years.
Mass Shooting Tracker, which compiles shootings around the country where four or more individuals have been killed or injured in one incident (some criticize the definition as too wide) shows a mass shooting occurring at least once in every other city with a population over 400,000 since they began compiling data in 2013. Austin Police Department spokeswoman Jennifer Herber said no shootings of four or more people have been recorded in the city since at least 2009, the earliest year for which she had data available.
There have been more than 350 mass shootings in the U.S. this year.
So... more guns? :banghead:

nausearockpig

#20 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Hype wrote:Worse: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/aus ... 945fefe26b
Unlike the horrific mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, last week, there was no loss of innocent life, and unlike every other major U.S. city, Austin has not had a single mass shooting in years.
Mass Shooting Tracker, which compiles shootings around the country where four or more individuals have been killed or injured in one incident (some criticize the definition as too wide) shows a mass shooting occurring at least once in every other city with a population over 400,000 since they began compiling data in 2013. Austin Police Department spokeswoman Jennifer Herber said no shootings of four or more people have been recorded in the city since at least 2009, the earliest year for which she had data available.
There have been more than 350 mass shootings in the U.S. this year.
So... more guns? :banghead:
Der. It's clear that if everyone who was killed in the latest shooting, had guns, then they'd all be alive. Same goes with every other shooting in the USA. Your foreigners don't know how it is in the good ole U S of A.

sinep

#21 Post by sinep » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:10 pm

i was two miles away at a job-site. I have a history of being near mass shootings.

I was about a mile away from the Aurora shooting, and i was on main street in seal beach during the salon massacre.

I don't want to get any closer.