The Democratic Convention July 25-28

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
chaos

Re: The Democratic Convention July 25-28

#26 Post by chaos » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:22 pm

Harry Reid will no doubt be on the Donald's hit list.

From Reid's speech:

"I've never seen anything more craven than Mitch McConnell and what he has done to our democracy"

"Parents, you're right to worry about your children hearing what comes out of Donald Trump's mouth. Republicans, you should have been careful, also, because Donald learned it from watching you."

creep
Site Admin

#27 Post by creep » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:29 pm

biden was good. he usually is. likeable goofy guy.

creep
Site Admin

#28 Post by creep » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:23 pm

obama and biden are a million times more personable than hillary and kaine.

kaine seems like a nice guy but i would be ok if this is the only speech i ever hear from him. :bored:

Tyler Durden

#29 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:26 pm

I'm with ya, creep. This is painful.

Artemis

#30 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:33 pm

Yep, Tim Kaine is a boring speaker.

Joe Biden and Michael Bloomberg were the best so far. Looking forward to Obama's speech.

This made me laugh:

mockbee

#31 Post by mockbee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:43 pm

Artemis wrote:
Joe Biden and Michael Bloomberg were the best so far. Looking forward to Obama's speech.

Biden was excellent. He needs to spend the next three months touring pennsylvania with his stump.

SR

#32 Post by SR » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:59 pm

Bloom's personal worth pushes 50 billion....self-made. When he hung "con" and "insane" on Trump I was hoping for a cardiac arrest in a certain tower in NY. Dump will never get over that.

Obama was brilliant.

:worship: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cody_Keenan

chaos

#33 Post by chaos » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:12 pm

I missed Bloomberg's speech. I'll have to watch it online tomorrow.

I loved how Biden was able to mesmerize and tame the rowdy crowd. He was good tonight.

POTUS - Wow! Regardless of what you may think of his time in office, he has a gift for giving rousing speeches.

mockbee

#34 Post by mockbee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:50 pm

I hope to god this is complete bullshit.

:noclue:

This country does not respect women. :wavesad:

Selling Past the Close

by Scott Adams

Posted July 27th, 2016 @ 9:48am

I’ve been watching the Democratic National Convention and wondering if this will be the first time in history that we see a candidate’s poll numbers plunge after a convention.

On the surface, the convention is going great. Michelle Obama made a speech for the ages. Bill Clinton was his masterful self. Bernie gave a full-throated endorsement of Clinton. The whole affair has been a festival of inclusiveness. The media is eating it like cake. All good, right?

That’s how it looks on the surface. And if you’re already a Clinton supporter, it probably looks great all the way down.

But if you’re an undecided voter, and male, you’re seeing something different. You’re seeing a celebration that your role in society is permanently diminished. And it’s happening in an impressive venue that was, in all likelihood, designed and built mostly by men. Men get to watch it all at home, in homes designed and built mostly by men, thanks to the technology that was designed and built mostly by men. I mention that as context, not opinion.

I agree with Michelle Obama’s gratitude about Clinton’s success so far, and how the country now “takes it for granted that a woman can be president.” That’s a big, big deal, and an accomplishment that you can never take away from Clinton, no matter how it all ends. I would argue – as did Michelle Obama – that Clinton already removed the glass ceiling. Now it’s just a question of who the voters prefer.

And that brings us to a concept called “Selling past the close.” That’s a persuasion mistake. Clinton has already sold the country on the idea that a woman can be president. Sales experts will tell you that once the sale is made, you need to stop selling, because you have no chance of making things better, but you might give the buyer a reason to change her mind.

Obama understood how to avoid selling past the close. At some point during Obama’s first presidential election campaign the country mentally agreed that an African-American could be their next president. So Obama accepted the sale and talked about other stuff. If he had dwelled on race, and his place in history, he would have risked making things worse. So he stayed quiet on race (mostly) and won. Twice.

Clinton is taking a different approach. As Michelle Obama said, we now take for granted that a woman can be president. That sale is made. But Clinton keeps selling. And that’s an enormous persuasion mistake.

I watched singer Alicia Keys perform her song Superwoman at the convention and experienced a sinking feeling. I’m fairly certain my testosterone levels dropped as I watched, and that’s not even a little bit of an exaggeration. Science says men’s testosterone levels rise when they experience victory, and drop when they experience the opposite. I watched Keys tell the world that women are the answer to our problems. True or not, men were probably not feeling successful and victorious during her act.

Let me say this again, so you know I’m not kidding. Based on what I know about the human body, and the way our thoughts regulate our hormones, the Democratic National Convention is probably lowering testosterone levels all over the country. Literally, not figuratively. And since testosterone is a feel-good chemical for men, I think the Democratic convention is making men feel less happy. They might not know why they feel less happy, but they will start to associate the low feeling with whatever they are looking at when it happens, i.e. Clinton.

On the 2D playing field – where policies and facts matter – the Democratic National Convention is doing great. And when it comes to exciting women, it might be the best ever. But on an emotional level – where hormones rule – men have left the building…that they built.

For the record, I endorse Hillary Clinton for president, for my personal safety, because I live in California where it is dangerous for people to think you are a Trump supporter. My political views don’t align with either candidate and I don’t vote, in order to protect my objectivity.

SR

#35 Post by SR » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:14 am

Both Paglia and Steinem have argued that the feminist movement has diminished itself by essentially acquiring traits of that which it has fought against. Watch television and read print advertising and you'll see a prominent theme of man bashing.....the woman portrayed as the savior and the hapless man being rescued. The emergence of women and their serious buying/earning power coupled with focused sociological revolt against sexism has made serious inroads in the last 2 decades. I think if there is a risk of 'sale beyond the close' it is here, not there....there being Hill's glass ceiling themes included in her platform. That deal would be closed upon her election.

I have no idea about testosterone levels being affected by emotions. That seems highly subjective.

chaos

#36 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:45 am

SR wrote:Both Paglia and Steinem have argued that the feminist movement has diminished itself by essentially acquiring traits of that which it has fought against.
I can just imagine Gloria Steinem having convulsions at the thought that both she and Camille Paglia are associated as a part of the same movement. :lol:

chaos

#37 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:06 am

mockbee wrote:I hope to god this is complete bullshit.

:noclue:

This country does not respect women. :wavesad:

Selling Past the Close

by Scott Adams

I watched singer Alicia Keys perform her song Superwoman at the convention and experienced a sinking feeling. I’m fairly certain my testosterone levels dropped as I watched, and that’s not even a little bit of an exaggeration. Science says men’s testosterone levels rise when they experience victory, and drop when they experience the opposite. I watched Keys tell the world that women are the answer to our problems. True or not, men were probably not feeling successful and victorious during her act.
I didn't see the performance, but I don't think the lyrics to her song Superwoman mean this.

When I first read this article I thought it was a joke. I think Scott needs a hug. :lol: (I hope no one tells him or his testosterone will drop even more.)

chaos

#38 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:07 pm

http://wfae.org/post/ngop-mistakes-kain ... reign-flag

NGOP Mistakes Kaine's Pro U.S. Military Lapel Pin For Foreign Flag
By TOM BULLOCK • 1 HOUR AGO

Tim Kaine's lapel pin (top) and the Honduran flag (bottom) bear little resemblance.

Lapel pins and Twitter. Both can be quick ways to express political opinions. But, as the North Carolina Republican party learned Wednesday night, it’s best to understand one before taking to the other.

The lapel pin in question was worn by Tim Kaine. The Virginia senator and now vice presidential nominee was speaking at the Democratic National Convention Wednesday night. A speech that began by recognizing his family in the crowd, and one who could not be there. "You know my son Nat just deployed with his Marine battalion just two days ago," Kaine told the crowd. Which is why he was wearing a simple pin on his left lapel.

Red border, white background, a single blue star in the center. It’s known as the Blue Star Service Banner, a way to show support for enlisted U.S. troops deployed overseas.

A sentiment Republican political operatives would normally applaud.

But Wednesday night, the official twitter account of North Carolina’s Republican Party took issue with the pin, mistakenly thinking it was the flag of a Central American country (start from bottom).

tweet exchange

The NCGOP tweet was deleted and a new one appeared.

"We appreciate you letting us know. Thanks for letting us correct our mistake."

And it was a pretty big one.

The Honduran flag, with its blue and white stripes and five stars arranged like an H in the middle, bears little resemblance to the single blue star on a white background worn by Kaine.

A reminder that even in this era of real time political commentary, sometimes a quick Google search can be priceless.

creep
Site Admin

#39 Post by creep » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:27 pm

i just looked at the list of speakers tonight. i think i will skip it all and just watch the very end. pretty boring list after yesterday,

mockbee

#40 Post by mockbee » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:38 pm

It will be interesting to see how hillary approaches this speech.

I think if she goes deep and dark on Trump and also acknowledges structural problems today keeping the working people down(a la Bernie), limits talk on identity politics (she has them covered, no need to reiterate, turns people off who are on the fence), this speech could be very effective. Limit the pie in the sky remarks, and keep it simple, calm, controlled. A total contrast with Trump.

I think if she sticks with the typical democrat/identity politics (I know that term is typical for republican causes, but dems have their fair share) I don't think the speech will help her overall, maybe won't hurt, but who knows...

guess we'll find out :noclue:

Go Dark, Hillary
By Ross Douthat

There’s a lot of talk today about how hard it will be for Hillary Clinton to match the rhetorical appeal of President Obama’s speech last night — the soaring cadences, the patriotic uplift, the defense of American ideals against Donald Trump’s strongman appeal, the deliberate appropriation of “morning in America” themes from a Republican Party that’s gone way down into the dark.

But if Clinton’s eloquence is likely to fall short of the Obama standard, she also has reasons to try something different with her speech anyway, something few speakers at this convention have attempted, and go a little bit into the dark herself.

The cold reality of American politics in the year 2016 is that most people don’t seem to share President Obama’s sweeping optimism about the country’s future. When Ronald Reagan gave his own “morning in America” ad in 1984, half the country was satisfied with the country’s direction. Today the same number, from Gallup’s polling, is 17 percent.

This isn’t just a Trumpista phenomenon, and it isn’t just a reaction to Trump’s rise. Fear of his demagogy may have pushed the “wrong track” numbers somewhat higher, but a general dissatisfaction with the American trajectory has been a hallmark of the Obama era. The last time more than 40 percent of Americans said the country was on the right track was a month after the president’s re-election, and the wrong track number was stuck above 60 percent well before Trump’s primary-season ascent.

No single theory explains this persistent discontent. There are sociological factors at work: America is an older society than it was in Reagan’s day, a more individualistic and more atomized one, more ideologically polarized and less religious, with more diversity but less solidarity and social trust. There are economic trends: The Obama era, like the Bush era before it, hasn’t generated sustained wage growth even when the unemployment rate is low, creating a feeling of stagnation even in periods of rising gross domestic product.

But then there are also more immediate factors. Trump’s doom-laden litany last week was exaggerated but not fabricated. Homicides really have spiked in the last two years, illegal immigration is up since Obama’s attempted executive amnesty, Islamic State-inspired terrorist attacks are clearly on the rise. More broadly, the Western liberal order seems considerably less stable than it did even in the depths of the Great Recession.

True, electing Trump to deal with these problems seems far more likely hasten any unraveling than to reverse it. But President Obama and his party, in the course of defending his legacy this week, have struggled to acknowledge the legitimacy of American anxiety, the depth of disappointment and discontent.

If there’s anything that Hillary Clinton can try to do that Obama did not, it’s to show that she understands these fears as something more than atavism or paranoia, to promise something more than just a continuation of this administration’s approach to leadership, to demonstrate that she’s prepared to lead a country that many, many people feel is somehow out of joint.

The first three days of this convention have been about stability, continuity, progress, uplift — all intended to contrast with the reckless and reactionary candidacy of Donald Trump.

But to fully deal with her rival’s appeal, Clinton still needs to become, to some degree at least, a candidate for darker times.

creep
Site Admin

#41 Post by creep » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:12 pm

oooof ...chelsea. need to shorten this up.

creep
Site Admin

#42 Post by creep » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:52 pm

hillary just doesn't come across very likeable. i feel nothing when she speaks.

can michelle obama trade places with her?

Cowchips1997

#43 Post by Cowchips1997 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:40 pm

Okay, am I the only one who thought Bill was having a heart ache or stroke during Chelsea's speech? I guess it was just emotions he was showing or trying not to, but was getting ready to call 911 for him. Worried that he may not make it through her term and yes, I think she will have a term.

kv

#44 Post by kv » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:59 pm

creep wrote:hillary just doesn't come across very likeable. i feel nothing when she speaks.

And that's why politics suck today...Lincoln would never be elected "because he looks funny" I don't give a fuck if I like them or not....not gonna pick a surgeon or a car mechanic off their appearance or likability...rather who is qualified and fair. This is why trump is doing so well...hey I know him from TV! :jasper:

SR

#45 Post by SR » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:26 pm

I thought the speech was one of her best....no shrills or shrieking. Content was good and the attacks on Dump survived any acid test one could apply. Well organized convention as a whole. Even the accessories were spot on; hill looked 20 years younger and well rested.

I am ready too give her another chance. Looking back I like that Bern, on day one, made a point to articulate his stipulation with hill behind closed doors on the future of TPP. Bern very much looked like a watchdog tonight; I think he'll be relentless and it doesn't hurt one bit that Bill would be waking up on Penn Ave again.

Looking ahead, I have to wonder about Chelsea. Bachelors, 2 Masters, and a PhD from Oxford. I really like her.

creep
Site Admin

#46 Post by creep » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:05 pm

kv wrote:
creep wrote:hillary just doesn't come across very likeable. i feel nothing when she speaks.

And that's why politics suck today...Lincoln would never be elected "because he looks funny" I don't give a fuck if I like them or not....not gonna pick a surgeon or a car mechanic off their appearance or likability...rather who is qualified and fair. This is why trump is doing so well...hey I know him from TV! :jasper:
were did i say anything about her looks?

you kind of want a president the people can get behind. somehow bernie and the obamas have that quality. she doesn't. :noclue:

not that matters these days. no one from any opposing party will have any respect for anyone elected. look at how much shit chris christy took from his party because he hugged obama,

clickie

#47 Post by clickie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:55 am

What are you trying to say creep, youre voting for trump?

clickie

#48 Post by clickie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:17 am

Why wouldnt everyone vote for hillary? She aint no obama but she'll do just fine. The worst you can say is she's unlikable, but she's intelligent and competent with a lot of experience. Trump on the other hand has based his entire platform on bullshitting and rambling.

mockbee

#49 Post by mockbee » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:55 am

How are your testosterone levels doing?

:wink:

:balls:

:scared:

clickie

#50 Post by clickie » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:16 am

mockbee wrote:

How are your testosterone levels doing?

:wink:

:balls:

:scared:
You dont feel the bulge in your pants rise when she speaks like the rest of us heterosexual males?