Presidential debates: Sept 26, Oct 9, Oct 19

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
SR

Re: Presidential debates: Sept 26, Oct 9, Oct 19

#61 Post by SR » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:02 am

Isn't this in your backyard Romeo? Going? Running away?

Artemis

#62 Post by Artemis » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:06 pm

5 more hours... :waits:
I just heard on the news that 100 million people are expected to watch in the US. There will be many millions more worldwide too.

SR

#63 Post by SR » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:22 pm

Yeah, I don't know what to expect from this but a lot is at stake. I remember Obama getting crushed by Romney and I got nervous; This one's terrifying.

Artemis

#64 Post by Artemis » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:02 pm

I think if HIlary stays on the high road and doesn't allow Cheeto Man to get under her skin, she'll do well.

For the next two debates I'm going to go to the Democrats Abroad (Toronto group) viewing party at a pub that's not too far from my place. It'll be fun to watch these debates with Americans. :lol:

SR

#65 Post by SR » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:33 pm

That's my fear....that even if she does well, it won't matter.

Beware of some muricans too, especially with alcohol and firearms. :hehe: I'd have a drink too, but that wouldn't end well. :lol:

Enjoy. :wave:

blackcoffee

#66 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:21 pm

SR wrote:That's my fear....that even if she does well, it won't matter.

Beware of some muricans too, especially with alcohol and firearms. :hehe: I'd have a drink too, but that wouldn't end well. :lol:

Enjoy. :wave:
:thumb:

SR

#67 Post by SR » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:24 pm

:rockon: :thumb: :tiphat:

Pandemonium

#68 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:45 pm

Ugh, this is the best we can come up with as candidates for leader of the free world? I had to stop watching, both are coming off as their own worst stereotypes.

SR

#69 Post by SR » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Hill's in trouble

creep
Site Admin

#70 Post by creep » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:44 pm

trump did better than i thought but the longer it went the worse he did.

hillary was her average self. did seem more presidential.

let's get gary johnson in there.

Pandemonium

#71 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:24 pm

creep wrote:let's get gary johnson in there.
"What's an Aleppo?"

chaos

#72 Post by chaos » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:24 pm

creep wrote: hillary .... did seem more presidential.
Considering who she was "debating" that is an understatement.

Although Trump toned it down his bombastic, despicable self shined through. He thinks not paying his taxes makes him "smart," and he is proud that he dragged out the housing discrimination suit against him without exhausting much of his own resources (while the feds exhausted much of theirs). I loved how Trump interrupted Clinton (when she pointed out that he was rooting for the mortgage/housing crisis in order to buy property and turn a profit) and said "That's called business." Well I'm sure that swayed over some voters. :lol:

His inarticulate rambles were amusing. When he described a judge as a "very against police judge" I spit up my drink laughing. Good for Lester Holt letting him defensibly ramble on nonsensically for several minutes about why he dropped/did not drop his birther stance and how he did not support the Iraq war. Trump demonstrated he can be in charge of his own train wreck. :lol:

Whatever people may think of Hillary, I just do not understand how/why people would be more comfortable with Trump as President.

I was curious as to why Trump and his family did not mingle in the audience as the Clintons did after the debate ended. Then again, they looked uncomfortable and didn't seem to know what they should do.
Last edited by chaos on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creep
Site Admin

#73 Post by creep » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:28 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
"What's an Aleppo?"
i've never heard of the place either until it was reported that he didn't know. :noclue:

SR

#74 Post by SR » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:40 pm

Trump has kissed women, millennials, minorities, and status quo moderates good-bye a long time ago. It doesn't matter if he continues to alienate them. Not one bit. His goal is to continue to solidify his rabid base and win new Waco nuts who would never normally vote anyways. He did very well to that end.....and she did better. Her deep policy driven rhetoric just screams More of the Same to people who either can't or wont look at rather complicated particulars in foreign and domestic policy; they see more bloodshed and Muslim names.

Those who have already rsvp'd to the Clinton bash are absolutely meaningless and are embracing increasingly rising levels of cognitive dissonance. I think they are completely missing the point here. I think she's in trouble.

Pandemonium

#75 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:44 pm

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
"What's an Aleppo?"
i've never heard of the place either until it was reported that he didn't know. :noclue:
I'm no Middle East foreign affairs expert, but once that photo of the little boy who survived the bombing in his neighborhood hit the news, that city and the impact of the Syrian civil war was pretty much hammered into my skull.

Hype

#76 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:52 pm

Aleppo is dog food...

Pandemonium

#77 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:54 pm

SR wrote:Those who have already rsvp'd to the Clinton bash are absolutely meaningless and are embracing increasingly rising levels of cognitive dissonance. I think they are completely missing the point here. I think she's in trouble.
It's kind of fascinating to read the post-debate opinions on various boards I hang out on. The people who are pretty hardcore for either candidate are gleefully claiming their pick trounced the other. I watched about half an hour's worth before I told my wife let's go out to dinner. Sure enough, normally busy restaurants were empty. If they'd made this a PPV event, they could have paid off the National debt.

mockbee

#78 Post by mockbee » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:07 pm

I didn't watch it.

It doesn't sound like I missed much.

Maybe it would have been good to watch for posterity.

:noclue:

JOEinPHX

#79 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:16 pm

Trump got absolutely slayed tonight.

I couldn't stop laughing at his sniffling and how he TRIED to start off sounding somber and mellow, but as soon as anything was said about his abilities he would just start yelling over Hillary AND the moderator.

Totally unhinged. That guy spoke in circles about absolutely nothing relating to the questions he was asked.

What a meltdown. That was glorious.

creep
Site Admin

#80 Post by creep » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:24 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Trump got absolutely slayed tonight.

I couldn't stop laughing at his sniffling and how he TRIED to start off sounding somber and mellow, but as soon as anything was said about his abilities he would just start yelling over Hillary AND the moderator.

Totally unhinged. That guy spoke in circles about absolutely nothing relating to the questions he was asked.

What a meltdown. That was glorious.
i don't think we watched the same debate

JOEinPHX

#81 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:32 pm

So you're saying that his rambling incoherent babble, yelling over the moderator and Clinton while they were talking, were winning moves in your book?

What about when he kept yelling "WRONG!" and "I NEVER SAID THAT!" about quotes he absolutely is on tape saying? Were those the winning moves?

What about when he was chewing on his own cheeks and sucking down glass after glass of water because he was frustrated that he was being called out for being a shitty businessman, racist, and tax cheat? Were those the winning moves?

China, Mexico, Immigration, Oh my! America sucks! Murder! Emails! Lions and Tigers and Bears!

The guy literally did not study up on the issues and brought nothing to the table that could be considered a sentence, let alone a rational thought or a political policy.

Meanwhile, Hillary stood there poised and calm and laughed at his stupidity all night.

But Trump won? Yeah, I definitely think we watched different debates.

creep
Site Admin

#82 Post by creep » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:39 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:So you're saying that his rambling incoherent babble, yelling over the moderator and Clinton while they were talking, were winning moves in your book?

What about when he kept yelling "WRONG!" and "I NEVER SAID THAT!" about quotes he absolutely is on tape saying? Were those the winning moves?

What about when he was chewing on his own cheeks and sucking down glass after glass of water because he was frustrated that he was being called out for being a shitty businessman, racist, and tax cheat? Were those the winning moves?

China, Mexico, Immigration, Oh my! America sucks! Murder! Emails! Lions and Tigers and Bears!

The guy literally did not study up on the issues and brought nothing to the table that could be considered a sentence, let alone a rational thought or a political policy.

Meanwhile, Hillary stood there poised and calm and laughed at his stupidity all night.

But Trump won? Yeah, I definitely think we watched different debates.
i didn't say trump won.

i also thought hillary won. i just thought it was close.

guysmiley

#83 Post by guysmiley » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:16 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
"What's an Aleppo?"
Yeah, that was bad. :confused:

guysmiley

#84 Post by guysmiley » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 pm

I don't have much faith in the general public. :neutral: Just more of a spectacle to watch.

SR

#85 Post by SR » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:07 am

Pandemonium wrote:
SR wrote:Those who have already rsvp'd to the Clinton bash are absolutely meaningless and are embracing increasingly rising levels of cognitive dissonance. I think they are completely missing the point here. I think she's in trouble.
It's kind of fascinating to read the post-debate opinions on various boards I hang out on. The people who are pretty hardcore for either candidate are gleefully claiming their pick trounced the other. I watched about half an hour's worth before I told my wife let's go out to dinner. Sure enough, normally busy restaurants were empty. If they'd made this a PPV event, they could have paid off the National debt.
:lol: My wife ordered pizza....I overheard her say something like...'that's fine; I'll pick it up'. I asked and she said they had a 2 hour delivery window. Just like Oscar night in LA.....restaurant ghost towns.

I am pretty hardcore anything but Trump, and if asked 'who won' on an objective level I'd reply honestly Hill did, but I don't watch these debates like that at all. I spent about 20 minutes post debate checking social media and as you might suspect most of my friends out there are leftys'. Most replied like 67.....a lot of fun was made of Trump which I engaged but I mentioned I thought Hill was in trouble and got crickets in response. Would love to be wrong, but I have very little faith in a very large population of dangerous people in this country who've found their voice. That with a large number of other factors that Hill brings to the table really concern me.