BAD SHIT Thread

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc

Re: BAD SHIT Thread

Postby Hype » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Isn't it. I can't imagine HAVING to have a gun in my house to feel safe at home, jeez.

I dealt with an armed home invasion robbery on Christmas night, 1986 in my condo. It very easily could have gone very bad for me.

I don't have any data to back this up, but I suspect that armed home invaders probably shoot fewer of their unarmed victims than their armed ones. And I also suspect that most armed victims of armed home invasions don't succeed in defending themselves with their weapons.

Of course, even from the way it's talked about, it's clear that none of this is about logic, it's about feeling. One of the things that's strange about the United States is how its citizens FEEL about guns and safety. Much of the rest of the world (outside of rural/farmers) finds the American idea that keeping guns in the house makes you safer crazy. Keeping a gun in the house just seems like an unnecessarily dangerous and potentially fatal accident for someone's child or suicidal loved one waiting to happen.

I'm fine with people wanting to go shoot guns at a recreational range. It's a weird hobby, and I probably would wonder about your mental state a bit, but there are a lot of things like that, but at least the environment is a bit more controlled (though this hasn't stopped lackadaisical deaths at US [and probably other] ranges).
Hype

Previous

Return to Current Events