BAD SHIT Thread

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Pandemonium

Re: BAD SHIT Thread

#51 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:09 am

chaos wrote:Edmonton
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/edm ... ist-attack

Police say terrorism charges are pending against a suspect arrested after a series of violent attacks that saw an Edmonton police officer stabbed and several pedestrians run down by a truck. . . .

Las Vegas
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 22267001/#

MESQUITE, Nev. — Police have identified the man accused of killing at least 58 people and wounding 515 in a Las Vegas shooting rampage . . .
The very definition of terrorism is:

1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

When you have a guy committing attempted murder with a clear political agenda, even it it's *just* a small handful of people affected, I have no problem calling it terrorism.

IMO, the Vegas shooting indeed fits the criteria for "...fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization" even without the as-yet revelation of any motive on the part of the shooter. The Vegas shooter obviously had been planning the act considering he had a huge cache of weapons (which already appears to be military grade, illegal no matter what kind of gun laws could possibly be enacted in the near future) he had accumulated and brought to the hotel, booked a room overlooking the concert grounds and waited until the evening of the final band when the grounds would have the largest crowd under cover of late night darkness.

From a accepted pathological or sociological standpoint, the guy was deranged to pull off this mass shooting, despite coldly and deliberately carrying it out. What will probably ultimately decide if the label "terrorism" fits is if a reason or excuse is found which targets a specific group or political idealogy.

Sadly, the politicizing and hand-wringing in the aftermath of this event will do nothing to address the root cause of why these things continue to happen with escalating frequency.

On the other hand, these kind of tragedies bring out the worst and certainly jaw-dropping stupid in some public figures:

CBS Legal Exec: No Sympathy For Vegas ‘Because Country Music Fans Often Are Republican’

October 2nd, 2017

"A top legal executive at CBS, Hayley Geftman-Gold, said she “is not even sympathetic” for the victims of the shooting at a country music festival at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas Sunday night.

“If they wouldn’t do anything when children were murdered I have no hope that Repugs will ever do the right thing,” wrote Geftman-Gold on Facebook, perhaps referring to Sandy Hook. “I’m actually not even sympathetic bc country music fans often are Republican gun toters.”

CBS has a history of hostility towards Republicans. Shortly after the attack on the GOP congressional baseball team gravely injuring Louisiana Rep. Steve Scalise in June, former CBS anchor Scott Pelley questioned whether the shooting was “foreseeable, predictable and to some degree, self-inflicted.”

The original thread was deleted, but not by Geftman-Gold.

CBS did not immediately respond to The Daily Caller News Foundation for comment."

What would possess someone to make these kind of comments jeopardizing their company's public image and their own job?

Bandit72

#52 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:43 pm

After Sandy Hook, the gun law never changed. And never will. I don't really understand why an 18th century law is still in place, but I don't know enough about it all and maybe I would have a different opinion if I was an American.

As far as Spain is concerned, what we saw yesterday was Nazi Germany all over again. Fucking disgraceful.

MicrowavedGerbil

#53 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:46 am

Bandit72 wrote:After Sandy Hook, the gun law never changed. And never will. I don't really understand why an 18th century law is still in place, but I don't know enough about it all and maybe I would have a different opinion if I was an American.

As far as Spain is concerned, what we saw yesterday was Nazi Germany all over again. Fucking disgraceful.
You cannot take firearms from Americans. Their obsession with guns is beyond me. Such a conservative nation. It really sickens me at times.

Juana

#54 Post by Juana » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:08 am

MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:After Sandy Hook, the gun law never changed. And never will. I don't really understand why an 18th century law is still in place, but I don't know enough about it all and maybe I would have a different opinion if I was an American.

You cannot take firearms from Americans. Their obsession with guns is beyond me. Such a conservative nation. It really sickens me at times.
I own firearms 95% of which I use for hunting and I have one handgun, that said I agree the obsession is mind boggling at times. When the second amendment was written the framers never would have imagined bump stocks etc.

Fried Hamster

#55 Post by Fried Hamster » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:04 am

I'm from Houston and have a 12 gauge pistol grip for protection. Inherited a hunting rifle from my grandfather but don't hunt. Guns are serious business here. My wealthy uncle has a small arsenal. Probably 30+ guns from .50 caliber Desert Eagle, 22s, handguns, to hunting rifles. My cousin has a tech9 and many other nicer guns (10+). My real redneck uncle actually restores guns and loads his own ammo. Everyone has guns here. I don't have road rage because it seems like everyone is packing. :yikes:
I don't like it. I do feel safe at home though.

Larry B.

#56 Post by Larry B. » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:36 am

Fried Hamster wrote:I'm from Houston and have a 12 gauge pistol grip for protection. Inherited a hunting rifle from my grandfather but don't hunt. Guns are serious business here. My wealthy uncle has a small arsenal. Probably 30+ guns from .50 caliber Desert Eagle, 22s, handguns, to hunting rifles. My cousin has a tech9 and many other nicer guns (10+). My real redneck uncle actually restores guns and loads his own ammo. Everyone has guns here. I don't have road rage because it seems like everyone is packing. :yikes:
This is absolute madness.

Pandemonium

#57 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:09 pm

It's come out today that the shooter had booked a room at the Blackstone Hotel specifically requesting a room with a view of the park hosting that weekend's Lollapalooza festival last August. Although he booked two separate rooms room over a 6 day span encompassing the entire duration of the festival, he never showed up to claim the rooms. He also stayed at three different rooms at the Ogden hotel in Las Vegas over a 9 day span a week prior during a different outdoor music festival held at the the same concert grounds as the Country festival. He also researched hotels around Boston's Fenway Park but apparently discovered all have obstructed views of the stadium.

Guy was looking for the softest target with large numbers of people and out door music festivals seemed to be his first choice.

Everybody's Friend

#58 Post by Everybody's Friend » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:51 pm

The news is just another show...

Bandit72

#59 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:46 am

Larry B. wrote:
Fried Hamster wrote:I'm from Houston and have a 12 gauge pistol grip for protection. Inherited a hunting rifle from my grandfather but don't hunt. Guns are serious business here. My wealthy uncle has a small arsenal. Probably 30+ guns from .50 caliber Desert Eagle, 22s, handguns, to hunting rifles. My cousin has a tech9 and many other nicer guns (10+). My real redneck uncle actually restores guns and loads his own ammo. Everyone has guns here. I don't have road rage because it seems like everyone is packing. :yikes:
This is absolute madness.
Isn't it. I can't imagine HAVING to have a gun in my house to feel safe at home, jeez.

Pandemonium

#60 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:09 am

Bandit72 wrote:Isn't it. I can't imagine HAVING to have a gun in my house to feel safe at home, jeez.
I dealt with an armed home invasion robbery on Christmas night, 1986 in my condo. It very easily could have gone very bad for me. I've never owned a gun but in the few months after that incident, I came very close to buying one. From my own personal experiences, there's been a few times where I would have felt a lot safer armed with something, such as the first night of the '92 LA riots when a friend and I helped another friend move his band gear out of his apt in a pretty shitty part of LA back to my place.

Hype

#61 Post by Hype » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Isn't it. I can't imagine HAVING to have a gun in my house to feel safe at home, jeez.
I dealt with an armed home invasion robbery on Christmas night, 1986 in my condo. It very easily could have gone very bad for me.
I don't have any data to back this up, but I suspect that armed home invaders probably shoot fewer of their unarmed victims than their armed ones. And I also suspect that most armed victims of armed home invasions don't succeed in defending themselves with their weapons.

Of course, even from the way it's talked about, it's clear that none of this is about logic, it's about feeling. One of the things that's strange about the United States is how its citizens FEEL about guns and safety. Much of the rest of the world (outside of rural/farmers) finds the American idea that keeping guns in the house makes you safer crazy. Keeping a gun in the house just seems like an unnecessarily dangerous and potentially fatal accident for someone's child or suicidal loved one waiting to happen.

I'm fine with people wanting to go shoot guns at a recreational range. It's a weird hobby, and I probably would wonder about your mental state a bit, but there are a lot of things like that, but at least the environment is a bit more controlled (though this hasn't stopped lackadaisical deaths at US [and probably other] ranges).

chaos

#62 Post by chaos » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:47 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/05/us/c ... p=cur&_r=0

Texas Church Shooting Leaves More Than 20 Dead, Official Says

By Christopher Mele
Nov. 5, 2017

More than 20 people were killed after a gunman walked into a church in a rural community about 30 miles east of San Antonio and opened fire on Sunday, an official said.

The official, Paul W. Pfeil, a Wilson County, Tex., commissioner, said he did not have a total count of the number of dead in the shooting, which occurred at the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs, but he said it was “more than 20.”

Albert Gamez Jr., another Wilson County commissioner, told CNN that he was told by the police that the gunman was chased into the next county and was killed, but it was not clear whether the police shot him or he killed himself.

Mr. Gamez said he was told by an emergency medical technician that 27 people were dead and 24 others were injured.

He said the victims were still inside the church. Sutherland Springs is a small community where everyone knows one another, he said.

He added: “You never expect something like this. My heart is broken.”

The service at the church last Sunday, which was posted on YouTube, began with a rendition of a song called “Happiness Is the Lord.”

Then the pastor, Frank Pomeroy, told his parishioners — 20 to 30 were visible in the video — to walk around the room and “shake somebody’s hand.”

“Tell them it’s good to see them in God’s house this morning,” he said.

David Keen, a constable in Wilson County, said “there were kids involved” in the shooting at the church.

Sheriff Joe Tackitt of Wilson County told The Wilson County News that a man had entered the church and begun firing.

Megan Posey, a spokeswoman for Connally Memorial Medical Center in Floresville, Tex., said that she did not know exactly how many patients the hospital had received, but that it was continuing to receive more.

The hospital has activated its emergency response team, she said. Information about the conditions of patients was not immediately available.

“We’re sending more officers on the streets to help secure Connally Memorial while they’re bringing the casualties to the hospital,” Constable Keen said.

Joseph Silva, 49, who lives about five miles northeast of Sutherland Springs, said the police had instructed his family and neighbors to stay indoors.

In a phone interview on Sunday afternoon, he described Sutherland Springs as “a one-blinking-light town.”

“There is a gas station and a post office,” he said. “That’s about all there really is.”

Mr. Silva said he had been approached by a woman who said she had two loved ones at the church who were shot.

“There are a number of individuals just weeping and just wanted to know what’s happened to their loved ones,” he said. “Everybody is pretty grief-stricken. Everyone’s worried.”

Juana

#63 Post by Juana » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:02 pm

This is about 80 miles from me fucking sucks

Artemis

#64 Post by Artemis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:56 pm

9 people dead, 16 injured in Toronto. :nyrexall:
A few hours ago, at about 1:30pm(EST) a man drove a van onto the sidewalk and plowed down several people. Police did arrest the driver. No mention of terrorism but it was definitely intentional.

Horrible. :nyrexall:

SR

#65 Post by SR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:09 pm

Yeah, saw this. It appears the suspect was arrested....at least a man in front of the Ryder truck. Boy, I can't help but think that after the man taunted the police with the rapid movements of his hand to a firing position, he'd be dead anywhere else.

Artemis

#66 Post by Artemis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:54 pm

SR wrote:Yeah, saw this. It appears the suspect was arrested....at least a man in front of the Ryder truck. Boy, I can't help but think that after the man taunted the police with the rapid movements of his hand to a firing position, he'd be dead anywhere else.
I too was very surprised that the police officer didn't shoot. If it were me, I would have shot that bastard! :mad:

SR

#67 Post by SR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 pm

I understand, but when I see this type of situation I am really impressed with an officer who can properly access a threat to him/herself and preserve life, for it's sake, but also for further information on possibly many matters. Here, in the States, we see a "I'd rather have 12 judge me than be carried by 6" mentality often influenced greatly by skin pigmentation.

Artemis

#68 Post by Artemis » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Hey LA peeps...hope none of you are at Trader Joe's. :scared:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

chaos

#69 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:06 am

:nyrexall:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cana ... ium=Social

WORLD NEWS JULY 22, 2018 / 11:56 PM / UPDATED 5 HOURS AGO
Gunman dead after shooting 14, killing one, in Toronto: Canadian police
Reuters Staff

TORONTO (Reuters) - Fourteen people, including a young girl, were shot near downtown Toronto, police in Canada’s biggest city said on Sunday, with one person killed and the gunman also dead.

The young girl was in a critical condition, Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said.

“We are looking at all possible motives... and not closing any doors,” Saunders told reporters at the site of the shooting.

Police said the gunman had used a handgun. Earlier reports said nine people had been shot.

Reports of gunfire in the city’s Greektown neighborhood began at 10 p.m. local time (0200 GMT Monday), CityNews.com said.

Witnesses said they heard 25 gunshots, the news website reported.

Toronto is grappling with a sharp rise in gun violence this year. Deaths from gun violence in the city jumped 53 percent to 26 so far in 2018 from the same period last year, police data last week showed, with the number of shootings rising 13 percent.

Toronto deployed about 200 police officers from July 20 in response to the recent spate in shootings, which city officials have blamed on gang violence.

Toronto Mayor John Tory told reporters that the city has a gun problem and guns were too readily available to too many people.

Hype

#70 Post by Hype » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:13 am

chaos wrote::nyrexall:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cana ... ium=Social

WORLD NEWS JULY 22, 2018 / 11:56 PM / UPDATED 5 HOURS AGO
Gunman dead after shooting 14, killing one, in Toronto: Canadian police
Reuters Staff

TORONTO (Reuters) - Fourteen people, including a young girl, were shot near downtown Toronto, police in Canada’s biggest city said on Sunday, with one person killed and the gunman also dead.

The young girl was in a critical condition, Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said.

“We are looking at all possible motives... and not closing any doors,” Saunders told reporters at the site of the shooting.

Police said the gunman had used a handgun. Earlier reports said nine people had been shot.

Reports of gunfire in the city’s Greektown neighborhood began at 10 p.m. local time (0200 GMT Monday), CityNews.com said.

Witnesses said they heard 25 gunshots, the news website reported.

Toronto is grappling with a sharp rise in gun violence this year. Deaths from gun violence in the city jumped 53 percent to 26 so far in 2018 from the same period last year, police data last week showed, with the number of shootings rising 13 percent.

Toronto deployed about 200 police officers from July 20 in response to the recent spate in shootings, which city officials have blamed on gang violence.

Toronto Mayor John Tory told reporters that the city has a gun problem and guns were too readily available to too many people.
One thing that's surprising about this shooting is that the Danforth isn't considered a dangerous area. There's no gang violence there. This was clearly just some angry nutcase.

To put things in perspective, even the most "dangerous" areas of Toronto are relatively safe. People have been talking about "Jane and Finch" for 40 years (since they started building affordable housing projects out there), and there is gang activity/drugs, etc., but it's not something that you'd really notice if you went there.

But the Danforth is Greektown, family-friendly, etc. :noclue:

Artemis

#71 Post by Artemis » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:16 pm

I don't know what the hell is happening to this city. So many shootings lately... :nyrexall:
There's crime in every city but this type of mass killing is new here. The killer last night acted alone with a handgun and seemed to just shoot randomly into restaurants.
The area that this shooting happened is about 5-6 miles from my place. I don't usually hang around there unless I'm going to a show at a concert hall very close to where the shooting took place. As Hype said, it's very much a family type area with little to no crime. In the summer time, so many patios and people walking around.

I am so heartbroken for my city. :nyrexall:

Hype

#72 Post by Hype » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Artemis wrote:I don't know what the hell is happening to this city. So many shootings lately... :nyrexall:
There's crime in every city but this type of mass killing is new here. The killer last night acted alone with a handgun and seemed to just shoot randomly into restaurants.
The area that this shooting happened is about 5-6 miles from my place. I don't usually hang around there unless I'm going to a show at a concert hall very close to where the shooting took place. As Hype said, it's very much a family type area with little to no crime. In the summer time, so many patios and people walking around.

They're saying the shooter had severe mental illness that was resistant to treatment. It's frustrating that he was able to get access to a gun, but in a way I think it's better for Toronto that this case was a case of completely random craziness and not a systematic breakdown in safety.

I'm going to hang out in Chinatown / the Entertainment District tomorrow evening, but I'm sure I'll be fine.

Artemis

#73 Post by Artemis » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:10 am

Hype wrote:
Artemis wrote:I don't know what the hell is happening to this city. So many shootings lately... :nyrexall:

They're saying the shooter had severe mental illness that was resistant to treatment. It's frustrating that he was able to get access to a gun, but in a way I think it's better for Toronto that this case was a case of completely random craziness and not a systematic breakdown in safety.

I'm going to hang out in Chinatown / the Entertainment District tomorrow evening, but I'm sure I'll be fine.
Yes, I heard the family's statement on the evening news. I'm relieved, I guess, that the shooting was not related to Islamic terrorist shit. But yeah, how did he get a gun.

Life goes on, enjoy downtown.

Hype

#74 Post by Hype » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:51 am

Artemis wrote:
Hype wrote:

Yes, I heard the family's statement on the evening news. I'm relieved, I guess, that the shooting was not related to Islamic terrorist shit. But yeah, how did he get a gun.

Life goes on, enjoy downtown.
“Let’s put it this way: he’s a working kid. He’s not like the kids standing behind the building smoking weed,” neighbour Khalid Malik told Global News.
:balls: Yes, let's demonize the peaceful potheads who may also have jobs and didn't go on rampages. :eyes:

Bandit72

#75 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:32 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_family_homicides

Why is the recent Chris Watts case so fascinating? By that I mean it is fascinating. Not. "oh, another homicide case, big deal". I stumbled across it on youtube last week and I've been so intrigued by the whole thing. Is it because pretty much everything to do with the case went out into the public domain I wonder? I don't think I've seen such a story have so much material or following on it for ages. Police cams, video interviews, audio etc...

I know a lot of of us have dark periods in our lives but thankfully get out of them with or without help. What on earth flicks your switch to go and do what he did? Knowing full well he would never get away with it. The human brain can be incredibly fucked up.