BAD SHIT Thread

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Hype

Re: BAD SHIT Thread

#61 Post by Hype » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Isn't it. I can't imagine HAVING to have a gun in my house to feel safe at home, jeez.
I dealt with an armed home invasion robbery on Christmas night, 1986 in my condo. It very easily could have gone very bad for me.
I don't have any data to back this up, but I suspect that armed home invaders probably shoot fewer of their unarmed victims than their armed ones. And I also suspect that most armed victims of armed home invasions don't succeed in defending themselves with their weapons.

Of course, even from the way it's talked about, it's clear that none of this is about logic, it's about feeling. One of the things that's strange about the United States is how its citizens FEEL about guns and safety. Much of the rest of the world (outside of rural/farmers) finds the American idea that keeping guns in the house makes you safer crazy. Keeping a gun in the house just seems like an unnecessarily dangerous and potentially fatal accident for someone's child or suicidal loved one waiting to happen.

I'm fine with people wanting to go shoot guns at a recreational range. It's a weird hobby, and I probably would wonder about your mental state a bit, but there are a lot of things like that, but at least the environment is a bit more controlled (though this hasn't stopped lackadaisical deaths at US [and probably other] ranges).

chaos

#62 Post by chaos » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:47 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/05/us/c ... p=cur&_r=0

Texas Church Shooting Leaves More Than 20 Dead, Official Says

By Christopher Mele
Nov. 5, 2017

More than 20 people were killed after a gunman walked into a church in a rural community about 30 miles east of San Antonio and opened fire on Sunday, an official said.

The official, Paul W. Pfeil, a Wilson County, Tex., commissioner, said he did not have a total count of the number of dead in the shooting, which occurred at the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs, but he said it was “more than 20.”

Albert Gamez Jr., another Wilson County commissioner, told CNN that he was told by the police that the gunman was chased into the next county and was killed, but it was not clear whether the police shot him or he killed himself.

Mr. Gamez said he was told by an emergency medical technician that 27 people were dead and 24 others were injured.

He said the victims were still inside the church. Sutherland Springs is a small community where everyone knows one another, he said.

He added: “You never expect something like this. My heart is broken.”

The service at the church last Sunday, which was posted on YouTube, began with a rendition of a song called “Happiness Is the Lord.”

Then the pastor, Frank Pomeroy, told his parishioners — 20 to 30 were visible in the video — to walk around the room and “shake somebody’s hand.”

“Tell them it’s good to see them in God’s house this morning,” he said.

David Keen, a constable in Wilson County, said “there were kids involved” in the shooting at the church.

Sheriff Joe Tackitt of Wilson County told The Wilson County News that a man had entered the church and begun firing.

Megan Posey, a spokeswoman for Connally Memorial Medical Center in Floresville, Tex., said that she did not know exactly how many patients the hospital had received, but that it was continuing to receive more.

The hospital has activated its emergency response team, she said. Information about the conditions of patients was not immediately available.

“We’re sending more officers on the streets to help secure Connally Memorial while they’re bringing the casualties to the hospital,” Constable Keen said.

Joseph Silva, 49, who lives about five miles northeast of Sutherland Springs, said the police had instructed his family and neighbors to stay indoors.

In a phone interview on Sunday afternoon, he described Sutherland Springs as “a one-blinking-light town.”

“There is a gas station and a post office,” he said. “That’s about all there really is.”

Mr. Silva said he had been approached by a woman who said she had two loved ones at the church who were shot.

“There are a number of individuals just weeping and just wanted to know what’s happened to their loved ones,” he said. “Everybody is pretty grief-stricken. Everyone’s worried.”

Juana

#63 Post by Juana » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:02 pm

This is about 80 miles from me fucking sucks

Artemis

#64 Post by Artemis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:56 pm

9 people dead, 16 injured in Toronto. :nyrexall:
A few hours ago, at about 1:30pm(EST) a man drove a van onto the sidewalk and plowed down several people. Police did arrest the driver. No mention of terrorism but it was definitely intentional.

Horrible. :nyrexall:

SR

#65 Post by SR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:09 pm

Yeah, saw this. It appears the suspect was arrested....at least a man in front of the Ryder truck. Boy, I can't help but think that after the man taunted the police with the rapid movements of his hand to a firing position, he'd be dead anywhere else.

Artemis

#66 Post by Artemis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:54 pm

SR wrote:Yeah, saw this. It appears the suspect was arrested....at least a man in front of the Ryder truck. Boy, I can't help but think that after the man taunted the police with the rapid movements of his hand to a firing position, he'd be dead anywhere else.
I too was very surprised that the police officer didn't shoot. If it were me, I would have shot that bastard! :mad:

SR

#67 Post by SR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 pm

I understand, but when I see this type of situation I am really impressed with an officer who can properly access a threat to him/herself and preserve life, for it's sake, but also for further information on possibly many matters. Here, in the States, we see a "I'd rather have 12 judge me than be carried by 6" mentality often influenced greatly by skin pigmentation.

Artemis

#68 Post by Artemis » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Hey LA peeps...hope none of you are at Trader Joe's. :scared:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

chaos

#69 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:06 am

:nyrexall:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cana ... ium=Social

WORLD NEWS JULY 22, 2018 / 11:56 PM / UPDATED 5 HOURS AGO
Gunman dead after shooting 14, killing one, in Toronto: Canadian police
Reuters Staff

TORONTO (Reuters) - Fourteen people, including a young girl, were shot near downtown Toronto, police in Canada’s biggest city said on Sunday, with one person killed and the gunman also dead.

The young girl was in a critical condition, Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said.

“We are looking at all possible motives... and not closing any doors,” Saunders told reporters at the site of the shooting.

Police said the gunman had used a handgun. Earlier reports said nine people had been shot.

Reports of gunfire in the city’s Greektown neighborhood began at 10 p.m. local time (0200 GMT Monday), CityNews.com said.

Witnesses said they heard 25 gunshots, the news website reported.

Toronto is grappling with a sharp rise in gun violence this year. Deaths from gun violence in the city jumped 53 percent to 26 so far in 2018 from the same period last year, police data last week showed, with the number of shootings rising 13 percent.

Toronto deployed about 200 police officers from July 20 in response to the recent spate in shootings, which city officials have blamed on gang violence.

Toronto Mayor John Tory told reporters that the city has a gun problem and guns were too readily available to too many people.

Hype

#70 Post by Hype » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:13 am

chaos wrote::nyrexall:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cana ... ium=Social

WORLD NEWS JULY 22, 2018 / 11:56 PM / UPDATED 5 HOURS AGO
Gunman dead after shooting 14, killing one, in Toronto: Canadian police
Reuters Staff

TORONTO (Reuters) - Fourteen people, including a young girl, were shot near downtown Toronto, police in Canada’s biggest city said on Sunday, with one person killed and the gunman also dead.

The young girl was in a critical condition, Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said.

“We are looking at all possible motives... and not closing any doors,” Saunders told reporters at the site of the shooting.

Police said the gunman had used a handgun. Earlier reports said nine people had been shot.

Reports of gunfire in the city’s Greektown neighborhood began at 10 p.m. local time (0200 GMT Monday), CityNews.com said.

Witnesses said they heard 25 gunshots, the news website reported.

Toronto is grappling with a sharp rise in gun violence this year. Deaths from gun violence in the city jumped 53 percent to 26 so far in 2018 from the same period last year, police data last week showed, with the number of shootings rising 13 percent.

Toronto deployed about 200 police officers from July 20 in response to the recent spate in shootings, which city officials have blamed on gang violence.

Toronto Mayor John Tory told reporters that the city has a gun problem and guns were too readily available to too many people.
One thing that's surprising about this shooting is that the Danforth isn't considered a dangerous area. There's no gang violence there. This was clearly just some angry nutcase.

To put things in perspective, even the most "dangerous" areas of Toronto are relatively safe. People have been talking about "Jane and Finch" for 40 years (since they started building affordable housing projects out there), and there is gang activity/drugs, etc., but it's not something that you'd really notice if you went there.

But the Danforth is Greektown, family-friendly, etc. :noclue:

Artemis

#71 Post by Artemis » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:16 pm

I don't know what the hell is happening to this city. So many shootings lately... :nyrexall:
There's crime in every city but this type of mass killing is new here. The killer last night acted alone with a handgun and seemed to just shoot randomly into restaurants.
The area that this shooting happened is about 5-6 miles from my place. I don't usually hang around there unless I'm going to a show at a concert hall very close to where the shooting took place. As Hype said, it's very much a family type area with little to no crime. In the summer time, so many patios and people walking around.

I am so heartbroken for my city. :nyrexall:

Hype

#72 Post by Hype » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Artemis wrote:I don't know what the hell is happening to this city. So many shootings lately... :nyrexall:
There's crime in every city but this type of mass killing is new here. The killer last night acted alone with a handgun and seemed to just shoot randomly into restaurants.
The area that this shooting happened is about 5-6 miles from my place. I don't usually hang around there unless I'm going to a show at a concert hall very close to where the shooting took place. As Hype said, it's very much a family type area with little to no crime. In the summer time, so many patios and people walking around.

They're saying the shooter had severe mental illness that was resistant to treatment. It's frustrating that he was able to get access to a gun, but in a way I think it's better for Toronto that this case was a case of completely random craziness and not a systematic breakdown in safety.

I'm going to hang out in Chinatown / the Entertainment District tomorrow evening, but I'm sure I'll be fine.

Artemis

#73 Post by Artemis » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:10 am

Hype wrote:
Artemis wrote:I don't know what the hell is happening to this city. So many shootings lately... :nyrexall:

They're saying the shooter had severe mental illness that was resistant to treatment. It's frustrating that he was able to get access to a gun, but in a way I think it's better for Toronto that this case was a case of completely random craziness and not a systematic breakdown in safety.

I'm going to hang out in Chinatown / the Entertainment District tomorrow evening, but I'm sure I'll be fine.
Yes, I heard the family's statement on the evening news. I'm relieved, I guess, that the shooting was not related to Islamic terrorist shit. But yeah, how did he get a gun.

Life goes on, enjoy downtown.

Hype

#74 Post by Hype » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:51 am

Artemis wrote:
Hype wrote:

Yes, I heard the family's statement on the evening news. I'm relieved, I guess, that the shooting was not related to Islamic terrorist shit. But yeah, how did he get a gun.

Life goes on, enjoy downtown.
“Let’s put it this way: he’s a working kid. He’s not like the kids standing behind the building smoking weed,” neighbour Khalid Malik told Global News.
:balls: Yes, let's demonize the peaceful potheads who may also have jobs and didn't go on rampages. :eyes:

Bandit72

#75 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:32 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_family_homicides

Why is the recent Chris Watts case so fascinating? By that I mean it is fascinating. Not. "oh, another homicide case, big deal". I stumbled across it on youtube last week and I've been so intrigued by the whole thing. Is it because pretty much everything to do with the case went out into the public domain I wonder? I don't think I've seen such a story have so much material or following on it for ages. Police cams, video interviews, audio etc...

I know a lot of of us have dark periods in our lives but thankfully get out of them with or without help. What on earth flicks your switch to go and do what he did? Knowing full well he would never get away with it. The human brain can be incredibly fucked up.

chaos

#76 Post by chaos » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:07 am

Just taking a break from the pandemic coverage to unwind with some thoughts on the looming apocalypse. :hide:

Sahara Dust Storm
Locust Swarms
Asian Hornets
Deforestation
Melting Permafrost

chaos

#77 Post by chaos » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:59 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/swine-flu-fo ... 27669.html

New swine flu found in China has pandemic potential
AFP June 30, 2020, 4:36 AM EDT

Washington (AFP) - Researchers in China have discovered a new type of swine flu that is capable of triggering a pandemic, according to a study published Monday in the US science journal PNAS.

Named G4, it is genetically descended from the H1N1 strain that caused a pandemic in 2009.

It possesses "all the essential hallmarks of being highly adapted to infect humans," say the authors, scientists at Chinese universities and China's Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

From 2011 to 2018, researchers took 30,000 nasal swabs from pigs in slaughterhouses in 10 Chinese provinces and in a veterinary hospital, allowing them to isolate 179 swine flu viruses.

The majority were of a new kind which has been dominant among pigs since 2016.

The researchers then carried out various experiments including on ferrets, which are widely used in flu studies because they experience similar symptoms to humans -- principally fever, coughing and sneezing.

G4 was observed to be highly infectious, replicating in human cells and causing more serious symptoms in ferrets than other viruses.

Tests also showed that any immunity humans gain from exposure to seasonal flu does not provide protection from G4.

According to blood tests which showed up antibodies created by exposure to the virus, 10.4 percent of swine workers had already been infected.

The tests showed that as many as 4.4 percent of the general population also appeared to have been exposed.

The virus has therefore already passed from animals to humans but there is no evidence yet that it can be passed from human to human -- the scientists' main worry.

"It is of concern that human infection of G4 virus will further human adaptation and increase the risk of a human pandemic," the researchers wrote.

Asked about the virus on Tuesday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told a regular press briefing that China "has been paying close attention to its development" and will take all needed action to prevent its spread and any outbreaks.

The study's authors called for urgent measures to monitor people working with pigs.

"The work comes as a salutary reminder that we are constantly at risk of new emergence of zoonotic pathogens and that farmed animals, with which humans have greater contact than with wildlife, may act as the source for important pandemic viruses," said James Wood, head of the department of veterinary medicine at Cambridge University.

A zoonotic infection is caused by a pathogen that has jumped from a non-human animal into a human.

Pandemonium

#78 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:31 am

So we should call this next pandemic the "Don't Blame China Part 2 Death Flu?"

chaos

#79 Post by chaos » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:11 am

I have to admit, bunny ebola was not on my 2020 bingo card. :drink:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/deadly-rabbi ... 01686.html

Deadly rabbit virus nicknamed 'bunny ebola' spreading rapidly across southern US
Rozina Sabur
The Telegraph July 3, 2020, 12:46 PM EDT

A deadly rabbit virus nicknamed "bunny ebola" is spreading across the southwest US, killing thousands of wild and pet rabbits.

Outbreaks of the rare and highly contagious virus have been reported in seven states across America's Sun Belt, including Arizona, California and Texas.

The disease, RHDV2, has been referred to as "bunny ebola" by veterinarians because it replicates the severe bleeding and organ failure the ebola virus causes in humans.

In many cases the virus is only detected after an animal dies and its nose leaks blood.

The US Department of Agriculture confirmed cases of the RHDV2 in Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Texas beginning in April.

Officials fear this outbreak will be difficult to contain - Neil Mcintyre

It is the fourth time the deadly virus has been found in the US since the first case of RHDV2 was first detected in China around 35 years ago.

However this outbreak represents the first time the virus is known to have spread beyond pet rabbits to wild rabbits, hares and even pikas in North America, prompting concern over how officials can effectively contain it.

"The fact that this is in multiple counties and rabbitries, that's why this is so concerning," Eric Stewart, from the American Rabbit Breeders Association, told the Veterinary Information Network.

"And then to hear it's burning through the wild rabbit populations, that, of course, furthers our concerns that much more."

The first known US case of the virus was among pet rabbits in Ohio in 2018. A second outbreak appeared in the San Juan Islands in Washington state last summer and in February, it was identified in a dozen rabbits at a veterinary hospital in New York City.

Officials are unsure of the source of this latest outbreak. "We still have no idea where it originated," Ralph Zimmerman, New Mexico's state veterinarian, told the Cut. "It's snowballed and moved like mad."

"We had one guy with 200 rabbits, and he lost them all between a Friday afternoon and Sunday evening," he said. "It just went through and killed everything."

Around 500 animals are thought to have been infected in the state in the last four months, prompting officials to introduce a depopulation policy.

But officials fear the highly contagious nature of the virus will make this outbreak difficult to bring under control.

The virus spreads easily through blood, urine, and faeces and its incubation period can be as little as two days. It has a very high death rate, with officials in the southwest US estimating the virus has proven fatal in around 90 per cent of infected animals.

The small numbers of rabbits that do survive continue to pose a threat as they can continue to spread the virus for at least 42 days, according to the House Rabbit Association.

The virus does not pose a threat to humans but can be transferred to rabbits by hair, shoes and clothing. There is no known cure of the virus and veterinarians in the US have to go through a lengthy process with the USDA to import vaccines from Europe.

chaos

#80 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:57 am

Beirut blast: Explosion rocks city injuring many

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-e ... m2=twitter

chaos

#81 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:07 pm

Pandemonium

#82 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:29 pm

That was no fireworks factory explosion. Officials have already revised the story and now say the building was storing "highly explosive materials” seized by the government years ago. Warehoused in the heart of the city near the country's busiest port, no less. IMO, this was some sort of chemical materials explosion. Some of the clips, it looks almost like a small nuclear bomb went off.

This is a comparable (night time) explosion in China in a building illegally storing dangerous chemicals in a populated urban area from 2015 that is equally jaw-dropping. The person who shot the very first clip in this video compilation (the first 15 seconds) was actually live streaming the fire several blocks away. When the building exploded, he was literally vaporized in the blast, his body and phone/camera were never recovered.

Pandemonium

#83 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:46 am

mockbee

#84 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:00 am

Just glad it doesn't appear to be terrorist activity.

I really want to go to Lebanon/Beirut.

Was researching details before COVID hit..... :wavesad:

Larry B.

#85 Post by Larry B. » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:38 am

Absolutely brutal. If I'd been there watching that, I'd have thought it was a nuclear blast. That "shape" of the explosion and the expanding wave are drilled into my brain as "nuclear blast".