Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Artemis

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

#41 Post by Artemis » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:09 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
Artemis wrote:I'm so glad there's only 5 days left until this election is FINALLY over! I'm sick of it and I don't even live in your country. :lol:
Me too! You never know he might buld a wall between Canada and the states :lol:

I'm also sick of this Brexit shite. It's now having to go through parliament to be passed after the majority won the right to leave. All the leavers are up in arms.

Here's the 3 minute take on it.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/j ... it-ruling/
We've been getting all the Brexit news here. Things are pretty nutty in your neck of the woods too. I don't know a great deal about Theresa May, but she seems a bit of a disaster to me. On the plus side(for tourists planning to go to the UK) the pound has really dropped. 1 UK pound sterling = $1.68 Canadian. From my trip to the UK two years ago, that's almost a 20 cent drop.

As for Trump building a wall between Canada and the US, I say, go for it! We don't want Trump or any of the basket of deplorables up here anyway. :lol:

perkana

#42 Post by perkana » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:58 pm

Gael beat you to it...

kv

#43 Post by kv » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:15 pm

Hell Canada will be building a wall to keep the American s out and we'll have to hire Mexicans to teach us how to get past it

Bandit72

#44 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:52 am

Why is North Carolina so important? I caught briefly on the news yesterday that they hold 15 of the electors or something? Is it one of the 50/50 we haven't a clue who we're voting for states?

kv

#45 Post by kv » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:27 am

Yes, it is one of the "battleground" states both are fighting for...Clinton needs a state or two of these according to polls...trump needs most of them to win..so Clinton winning just 1 or 2 seals it for her...so the whole race is those states...some states like California have been Democrat by a large percentage for decades now.

Florida has huge electoral votes...if trump can't win it this election will be over in a hurry (it will be imho)

Romeo

#46 Post by Romeo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:08 am

Hokahey wrote:Yeah, yeah and killer clowns might show up and beat people to death with rubber chickens. This election is particularly contentious, but so was 2004 and 2008. Hell, I remember people vandalizing Clinton signs in '92. People need to get a grip.
exactly!

The media makes more out of crap to scare people. Don't believe the hype

Romeo

#47 Post by Romeo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:09 am

kv wrote:Hell Canada will be building a wall to keep the American s out and we'll have to hire Mexicans to teach us how to get past it
:lolol: :lolol:

chaos

#48 Post by chaos » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:07 am

Hype

#49 Post by Hype » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:43 am

kv wrote:Yes, it is one of the "battleground" states both are fighting for...Clinton needs a state or two of these according to polls...trump needs most of them to win..so Clinton winning just 1 or 2 seals it for her...so the whole race is those states...some states like California have been Democrat by a large percentage for decades now.

Florida has huge electoral votes...if trump can't win it this election will be over in a hurry (it will be imho)
This is exactly right. For international observers, just go to this page on 538: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/201 ... id=rrpromo

Scroll down to "Who’s ahead in each state and by how much". That list is sorted by "chance of tipping the election", because it's the closest races with the most electoral votes.

Electoral votes are the actual way the election is decided, not the popular vote. With I think one or two exceptions, it's a state-by-state all-or-nothing thing where the candidate with the most votes in the state gets all the electoral college votes that that state has. The number of electoral votes is based on population, so California and New York are the two biggest Democratic states -- Clinton has those locked down, and also has Illinois which is really big as well. Texas is also very big (38) and will likely go to Trump. Florida has a lot of votes (29) and is a literal toss-up, just like it was in 2000.

The winner needs 269 Electoral College votes. California has 55, NY has 29, and IL has 20 -- so Clinton has 104 votes basically by default, without even considering all the small New England states that are solid blue.

Btw, even if Trump gets Florida, he'd still need North Carolina and New Hampshire to pull off a win.

SR

#50 Post by SR » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:09 am

A sparse Clinton win is a loss, but not catastrophic....maybe

Hype

#51 Post by Hype » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:41 am

SR wrote:A sparse Clinton win is a loss, but not catastrophic....maybe
I don't think it matters that much by how much Clinton wins. The Senate is much more worrying. I'm sceptical that the Dems can take it back.

mockbee

#52 Post by mockbee » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:42 am

Thank god this is finally over.

Who would have thought we had this much of an appetite for a professed tyrant.

It will be interesting to see how many battleground states Hillary picks up, I hope a ton.

I guess we get a reprieve until the impeachment hearings begin in January? :noclue:

Pandemonium

#53 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:28 pm

Although I expect the balance to tilt the other way as the evening progresses, I'm floored that Trump is doing as well as he is so far and is actually substantially ahead right now. One of the talking heads on MSNBC is having a conniption fit how close it is in Florida right now.

Artemis

#54 Post by Artemis » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm rather surprised with how well the Cheeto is doing too. :scared:

My mom bet me $5 that Trump will win. In her accent, similar to Melania Trump's, she said, "Cleen-ton da voorst" :lol:

kv

#55 Post by kv » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:17 pm

Well...very long way to go..but the silver lining is if trump pulls off the upset at least he will have a chance to do things since he will have the house too

creep
Site Admin

#56 Post by creep » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:22 pm

kv wrote:Well...very long way to go..but the silver lining is if trump pulls off the upset at least he will have a chance to do things since he will have the house too
silver lining :lol:

mockbee

#57 Post by mockbee » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:31 pm

mockbee wrote:Thank god this is finally over.

Who would have thought we had this much of an appetite for a professed tyrant.

It will be interesting to see how many battleground states Hillary picks up, I hope a ton.

I guess we get a reprieve until the impeachment hearings begin in January? :noclue:
Okay, cancel my last statement there.....peruse my 20 million posts in the other orangutan thread if you must.... I had a strong feeling it was going to come to this. We are going all out third-world tyrant.....who would have thought a year or two ago.

Democrat party will implode, my next prediction......

And kv is/was full of crap... :flip:

:jasper:

kv

#58 Post by kv » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:49 pm

I was blinded by living in a progressive state....shocked thought it would be over for Clinton already

But I respect the process...the people are allowed their choice...I just am lossing a tremendous amount of respect for American voters...wtf guy is a racist...how the fuck do you vote for him? Old guard's last gasp smfh

45+ is all trump....I hate I am in that demographic

creep
Site Admin

#59 Post by creep » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:10 pm

i think we all know where the blame should go

all we can do is hope for the best :noclue:

kv

#60 Post by kv » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:12 pm

creep wrote:
kv wrote:Well...very long way to go..but the silver lining is if trump pulls off the upset at least he will have a chance to do things since he will have the house too
silver lining :lol:
Worded poorly...4 stagnant years won't do us much good imho regardless of who wins

Mescal

#61 Post by Mescal » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:34 pm

kv wrote:Yes, it is one of the "battleground" states both are fighting for...Clinton needs a state or two of these according to polls...trump needs most of them to win..so Clinton winning just 1 or 2 seals it for her...so the whole race is those states...some states like California have been Democrat by a large percentage for decades now.

The polls were so off

kv

#62 Post by kv » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:00 am

Ya she had the west needed florida

SR

#63 Post by SR » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:35 am

Idiots

chaos

#64 Post by chaos » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:55 am

I am not a fan of Neil Gabler, but he makes some interesting points regarding democracy, extremism, and journalism in one of his recent pieces. Below is an excerpt:
http://billmoyers.com/story/farewell-am ... OZ.twitter

If there is a single sentence that characterizes the election, it is this: “He says the things I’m thinking.” That may be what is so terrifying. Who knew that so many tens of millions of white Americans were thinking unconscionable things about their fellow Americans? Who knew that tens of millions of white men felt so emasculated by women and challenged by minorities? Who knew that after years of seeming progress on race and gender, tens of millions of white Americans lived in seething resentment, waiting for a demagogue to arrive who would legitimize their worst selves and channel them into political power? Perhaps we had been living in a fool’s paradise. Now we aren’t.

This country has survived a civil war, two world wars, and a great depression. There are many who say we will survive this, too. Maybe we will, but we won’t survive unscathed. We know too much about each other to heal. No more can we pretend that we are exceptional or good or progressive or united. We are none of those things. Nor can we pretend that democracy works and that elections have more or less happy endings. Democracy only functions when its participants abide by certain conventions, certain codes of conduct and a respect for the process.

No more can we pretend that we are exceptional or good or progressive or united. We are none of those things.
The virus that kills democracy is extremism because extremism disables those codes. Republicans have disrespected the process for decades. They have regarded any Democratic president as illegitimate. They have proudly boasted of preventing popularly elected Democrats from effecting policy and have asserted that only Republicans have the right to determine the nation’s course. They have worked tirelessly to make sure that the government cannot govern and to redefine the purpose of government as prevention rather than effectuation. In short, they haven’t believed in democracy for a long time, and the media never called them out on it.

kv

#65 Post by kv » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:11 pm

Was interesting that one of the few big polls to predict a tight race was the la times usc poll...they polled a batch of people at various times, the same people, over and over and you can see how they trended to trump everytime the emails came up...or the last gasp fbi remarks....people really changed their minds from Clinton to trump...