Major elections in Mexico

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
perkana

Major elections in Mexico

#1 Post by perkana » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:55 pm

In 2 weeks we will be voting for our new president. Looks like AMLO (Andrés Manuel López Obrador) will win :thumb:
Fraud will be huge, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Who will be president? predictions

perkana

Re: Major elections in Mexico

#2 Post by perkana » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Great piece...
A New Revolution in Mexico
Sick of corruption and of Trump, voters embrace the maverick leftist Andrés Manuel López Obrador.
By Jon Lee Anderson

The current Mexican government is led by the center-right President Enrique Peña Nieto. His party, the pri, has depicted López Obrador as a radical populist, in the tradition of Hugo Chávez, and warned that he intends to turn Mexico into another Venezuela. The Trump Administration has been similarly concerned. Roberta Jacobson, who until last month was the U.S. Ambassador to Mexico, told me that senior American officials often expressed worry: “They catastrophized about amlo, saying things like ‘If he wins, the worst will happen.’ ”

Ironically, his surging popularity can be attributed partly to Donald Trump. Within days of Trump’s election, Mexican political analysts were predicting that his open belligerence toward Mexico would encourage political resistance. Mentor Tijerina, a prominent pollster in Monterrey, told me at the time, “Trump’s arrival signifies a crisis for Mexico, and this will help amlo.” Not long after the Inauguration, López Obrador published a best-selling book called “Oye, Trump” (“Listen Up, Trump”), which contained tough-talking snippets from his speeches. In one, he declared, “Trump and his advisers speak of the Mexicans the way Hitler and the Nazis referred to the Jews, just before undertaking the infamous persecution and the abominable extermination.”

Officials in the Peña Nieto government warned their counterparts in the White House that Trump’s offensive behavior heightened the prospect of a hostile new government—a national-security threat just across the border. If Trump didn’t modulate his behavior, the election would be a referendum on which candidate was the most anti-American. In the U.S., the warnings worked. During a Senate hearing in April, 2017, John McCain said, “If the election were tomorrow in Mexico, you would probably get a left-wing, anti-American President.” John Kelly, who was then the Homeland Security chief, agreed. “It would not be good for America—or for Mexico,” he said.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/ ... -in-mexico

perkana

#3 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:34 am

I hadn't heard about El Bronco's hate for Santa, but after the first debate, this was my favorite gif :lol:

perkana

#4 Post by perkana » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Best...day...ever!!!!

perkana

#5 Post by perkana » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:21 am

I'm just holding my breath until he finds out AMLO doesn't care about paying his wall either :lol:

SR

#6 Post by SR » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:30 am

He knows that.

Good win, btw :rockon:

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:53 am

does the guy need four names?

perkana

#8 Post by perkana » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Andrés = First name
Manuel = Middle name
López Obrador= Last names
We have 2 last names here, from our parents.
AMLO for short.

perkana

#9 Post by perkana » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:26 pm

SR wrote:He knows that.

Good win, btw :rockon:
It took him 12 years but we made it. Massive voting was fundamental. He only lost in one state out of 32.