Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
chaos

Re: Politics

#161 Post by chaos » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:14 pm

And so it begins . . .

mockbee

#162 Post by mockbee » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:10 pm

WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump has responded to Tuesday night’s attack by Iran on US and coalition forces stationed at bases in Iraq.

“All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq,” Trump tweeted. “Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.”

Shortly after 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against U.S. military and coalition forces in Iraq. It was not immediately clear if any U.S. service members were hurt in the strikes.

U.S. stock futures plunged on Tuesday night on news of the Iranian offensive.

Trump spent part of Tuesday night meeting with national security officials at the White House about the attacks.

Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Army Gen. Mark Milley were all seen leaving the White House.

Earlier in the day on Tuesday, Trump had said the United States was “totally prepared” for Iran to retaliate.

“And likewise, we’re prepared to attack if we have to as retribution,” Trump said.

Iran’s foreign minister, Javad Zarif, said in a tweet late Tuesday that Iran “took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense.” He added: “We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.”
Aaaand we're done....?

:noclue:

I think this is a coordinated effort between Iran and US.....just my hunch. :noclue: :idea:

mockbee

#163 Post by mockbee » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:48 pm

Looks like we're good. :nod:

It was tragic about the stampede..... :wavesad:

But otherwise.....
Sleep well folks! :bigrin:

chaos

#164 Post by chaos » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:39 am

I don't know why I'm surprised but wow. Just wow. :sui:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... irus-jobs/

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross says China’s coronavirus ‘will help’ bring jobs back to U.S.
By Rachel Siegel
Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:46 a.m. EST

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said the Chinese coronavirus — which has killed 170 in China and infected more than 7,700 people — could “help” to bring jobs to the United States because companies will be moving operations away from impacted areas.

During an appearance Thursday morning on Fox Business, Ross said that he didn’t “want to talk about a victory lap over a very unfortunate, very malignant disease,” and expressed sympathy for the victims. But he said the pneumonia-like virus would be a consideration for American businesses that are scrambling to determine how the outbreak will affect their supply chains. He pointed to the 2003 SARS epidemic, the “African swine virus” and now coronavirus as “another risk factor that people need to take into account.”

“I think it will help to accelerate the return of jobs to North America, some to [the] U.S., probably some to Mexico as well,” Ross said. He then said Apple was “talking about figuring out how to replace some of the Chinese production.” Apple had plans to assemble some phones and computers outside China before the coronavirus outbreak.

“I think there’s a confluence of factors that will make it very, very likely more reshoring to the U.S. and some reshoring to Mexico,” Ross said.
The White House has been pressuring companies in China to move operations to the United States. President Trump recently signed a partial trade deal with China meant to create new incentives for U.S. companies.

But public health experts were quick to criticize Ross’s comments as inaccurate and dangerous, saying such messaging could suppress reports of new infections. Meanwhile, health officials are up against the spread of false information on social media, from conspiracy theories to deceitful claims of magical cures. And Facebook, Google and Twitter are scrambling to crack down on the spread of dangerous health disinformation.

Georges C. Benjamin, executive director of the American Public Health Association, said that American companies would have more reason to be concerned about gun violence or measles outbreaks stateside “in terms of actual risk to their health than coronavirus.”

“You have somebody of that stature who makes an irresponsible comment, speaking on matters in which he has no expertise, and there’s no scientific or historical evidence to what he’s saying,” Benjamin said of Ross.

“With this kind of new disease, you want as much openness as you can,” Benjamin added. “If you suppress that openness, which this will do, then you absolutely make it worse and more people will get sick, and more people will die.”

Sandro Galea, dean of the School of Public Health at Boston University, said infectious diseases “threaten all of us” and that there’s never a positive consequence from an outbreak. Ross’s comments “rest on a misunderstanding of how infectious diseases are transmitted,” Galea said.

There’s a “responsibility that public officials have to communicate in an informed manner that educates the public and moves us towards an understanding of what actually generates help,” Galea said. “A comment like this achieves the exact opposite purpose.”

mockbee

#165 Post by mockbee » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:47 am

This is one crazy news day..........

Conoravirus
Brexit
Impeachment
US growth stats
US-China escalations
US elections..... I think?

Oh and Bill Gates daughter just got engaged!

:jasper: :jasper: :jasper:

mockbee

#166 Post by mockbee » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:35 pm

Another good day for a super long walk without the phone....... :scared:

:drink:

SR

#167 Post by SR » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:18 am

I've mentioned Parscale in the past in the form of a dire warning for 20. This is a pretty good article detailing the depths of insidiousness and the effect the misdirection of truth can have on angry people desperate to have their voice noticed. We can't manage sm, and AI is looming :lol: It makes other good points as well.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ar/605530/

mockbee

#168 Post by mockbee » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:18 pm

SR wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:18 am
I've mentioned Parscale in the past in the form of a dire warning for 20. This is a pretty good article detailing the depths of insidiousness and the effect the misdirection of truth can have on angry people desperate to have their voice noticed. We can't manage sm, and AI is looming :lol: It makes other good points as well.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ar/605530/
And still Trump and his cronies are "stupid"......... :noclue:
(yes, some are stupid, the ones in jail...... :lol: )

Maybe that is exactly what they want you to think so you (us and the rest of the superior coastal elites) continue to rest on our laurels, just wait it out, people will come to their senses......I mean for God's sake....Trump thinks Kansas City is in Kansas?!!!!! I mean really, all we gotta do is wait............. :eyes: .............. :wink:

The Dems, and all the other 'enlightened' ones, are the people wandering around in no man's land, with buckets on their heads..... :noclue:

kv

#169 Post by kv » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:27 pm

KC is sorta in Kansas though...it's a border city....people blew that up way too much...ya sure the chiefs are def not from Kansas...but it wasn't that asinine a statement

mockbee

#170 Post by mockbee » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:33 pm

kv wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:27 pm
KC is sorta in Kansas though...it's a border city....people blew that up way too much...ya sure the chiefs are def not from Kansas...but it wasn't that asinine a statement
No it wasn't, and I think that's always Trump's point in the "stupid" posts. There is always something there that has a grain of Truth, and media/libs blow it up. He ain't stupid.

Hype

#171 Post by Hype » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:56 pm

mockbee wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:33 pm
kv wrote:
No it wasn't, and I think that's always Trump's point in the "stupid" posts. There is always something there that has a grain of Truth, and media/libs blow it up. He ain't stupid.
The problem isn't that he doesn't understand things. It's that he doesn't care. He's Homer Simpson: https://s3.amazonaws.com/v.comb.io/TdMf ... 3635493107

mockbee

#172 Post by mockbee » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:12 pm

Hype wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:56 pm
mockbee wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:33 pm
kv wrote:
The problem isn't that he doesn't understand things. It's that he doesn't care. He's Homer Simpson: https://s3.amazonaws.com/v.comb.io/TdMf ... 3635493107
Oh, he cares biggly..... :hehe:

Well, he knows that each time tweet blows up the media, thats one less cycle where the shit he does for the elites goes unsaid.

It's the only way he goes down and he knows it.
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Media/libs haven't figured that out after 4 years, will it take another 4.....or beyond that???
:tiphat:

SR

#173 Post by SR » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:07 pm

:lol:

trump is smart

trump will win '20 in a landslide

Biden will be the nominee

"Lib" elites are heedless and therefore doomed

When will someone finally bring these to someone's attention?

mockbee

#174 Post by mockbee » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:20 pm

Making progress I see.

My persuasion/hypnosis is working.

I will ratchet up.

:tiphat:

SR

#175 Post by SR » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:24 pm

I'd rather apply this type of fanaticism to spreads. Conjure me up some scores to bet on. :cool: :thumb:

mockbee

#176 Post by mockbee » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:56 pm

I'd rather apply this type of fanaticism to spreads. Conjure me up some scores to bet on. :cool:
SR wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:07 pm

channeling mockbee: trump will win '20 in a landslide

Okay, here you go.
I'm not betting on nominee, even though I think it will still be Biden, as crazy as that sounds now. It will be nuts, but he's the guy. Sanders will have to radically change in order for it to be him. And I don't see that happening. I'm not really passionate about this point.

I am passionate about Trump doing way better than expected. And elites/satiated class being shocked by that.

I have $60 on Trump getting >55% popular vote and >45 states.
Nothing for Trump winning presidency (electoral), but doesn't get popular (or </= 55%)
And $40 for you if Dem wins presidency (electoral)

That's my proposal. Mostly bragging rights, and quite possibly a wash with same Trump win as '16.

46 states is still pretty crazy in the current mass media (-fox) and liberal elite mindset climate....he'd have to get OR/WA/HI and most all the NE states.... :noclue:

You in?

:wave:

Here's the book if Trump covers: (you and Hype can split/work out a payment plan..... :hehe: )
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new

SR

#177 Post by SR » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:47 am

I know you think that what you call elites are stupid, but that's not true. They are confused as to the best approach this election due to the high stakes and the diverse platforms involved. That, and there are powerful influences within the party that are terrified of a Sanders presidency increases the chances that it's a divide that cannot be breached. At the end of the day, what I think you are really saying has very little to do with ideology, and everything to do with simply winning. That's ok. But it's weird to me that your glee about your conclusion is a celebration of elite misery, with no concern for another 4 years of democratic, humanistic, environmental, etc collapse under trump. Seems to border on arrogance, which is what you continually say you despise from the "libs". As an aside, I never liked the pejorative use of the word elite(s); it's simply code for the celebrated attack on science, academics, morality, truth, and the well educated in general (these are good things)...a cornerstone of fascism, of course.

So, I'm not going to take the 55%. The reasons I've mentioned are the reason. Too, voter turnout is in question, although less so than many think. In '84, Reagan got just a few more points and he won 49 states. I will take 65% and/or 46 states. I'll do a c note or fifty, or twenty...after all it's for bragging rights. But if trump loses, you have to wear a "basket of deplorables" t-shirt for the entire month of December. :hehe:

Hype

#178 Post by Hype » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:09 am

SR wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:47 am
As an aside, I never liked the pejorative use of the word elite(s); it's simply code for the celebrated attack on science, academics, morality, truth, and the well educated in general (these are good things)...a cornerstone of fascism, of course.
It's a keystone of populism. In Hungary, just for example, this has already led to the end of CEU and the ongoing persecution of academics as "enemies of the people". In the United States, Trump's been using it to attack "the media". As an attitude it's extremely dangerous, because it turns into a justification for mass murder so easily.

mockbee

#179 Post by mockbee » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 am

Hype wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:09 am
SR wrote:
As an aside, I never liked the pejorative use of the word elite(s); it's simply code for the celebrated attack on science, academics, morality, truth, and the well educated in general (these are good things)...a cornerstone of fascism, of course.
It's a keystone of populism. In Hungary, just for example, this has already led to the end of CEU and the ongoing persecution of academics as "enemies of the people". In the United States, Trump's been using it to attack "the media". As an attitude it's extremely dangerous, because it turns into a justification for mass murder so easily.
Exactly. That is why it so important for Elites to take this more seriously. I really don't think they are. If all they are doing is focusing on the bluster (which is all they have been doing.) They are toast, and so are we. That is why I am so emphatic about them not seeing this for what it is. And maybe they do, and just don't know what to do about it. Which I in turn say....look at the people and their problems and who they are. They are not deplorable. They have real problems and the elites are not addressing them. Trump is making their problems worse....but he speaks directly to them. Elites dont know how to communicate.

I am really only afraid of what comes after Trump. Trump in action is so far your garden variety Republican. Actually much better. No wars.

The elites are in serious trouble if they dont figure this out. And I agree that is a serious problem. There is absolutely no indication of progress in the last 4 years.

Just: :banghead:

SR

#180 Post by SR » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:39 am

Hype wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:09 am
SR wrote:
Well documented and rarely seen in real time

SR

#181 Post by SR » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:40 am

Here ya go B
dems.JPG
dems.JPG (197.55 KiB) Viewed 18330 times

mockbee

#182 Post by mockbee » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:20 am

SR wrote:
At the end of the day, what I think you are really saying has very little to do with ideology, and everything to do with simply winning.
Careful.... Illiberalism is just as dangerous as populism.
Now you may not associate illiberal democracy with the neoliberal/progressive set, but it is there as well in spades. A culture of exclusion. "Those people don't know what's good for them, and they need to get with it.....we just need to educate them."
:no:

Mounk speaks well of this phenomenon....
https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/ob ... t-was-cool
He explained: “I’ve now come to the conclusion that if we [the left] want to win political battles, we need to fight for the interpretation of what nationalism should look like, rather than running away from nationalism altogether.”

In a polarised era, Mounk’s proposals cannot help but appear blandly technocratic. But he insisted they represent the only viable alternative. “With a few exceptions in history, when we’ve seen fascism fight communism, or right populism fight left populism, it has virtually always been the right that’s won”.

SR wrote:
But if trump loses, you have to wear a "basket of deplorables" t-shirt for the entire month of December. :hehe:
Alright. And in turn, if Trump wins you wear "Trump is my President: Keeping America Great - Promises Made, Promises Kept"

mockbee

#183 Post by mockbee » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:26 am

SR wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:40 am
Here ya go B

dems.JPG

That's why I keep saying....

Get...On...The...Fucking...Raft....... !

:wink:

The ship you're on is going down. In fact you're about knee deep in ocean right now and some people still dont seem to see it and others are paralyzed and don't know what to do.....
:wavesad:

What to do you ask? See Mounk....to start.
:thumb:

Hype

#184 Post by Hype » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:27 am

So dangerous. And it appears to have gotten to mockbee. :nyrexall:

Nationalism is absolutely not a solution to the problems of the working class. Especially not a fake nationalism promulgated by huge amounts of money.

mockbee

#185 Post by mockbee » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:41 am

Hype wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:27 am
So dangerous. And it appears to have gotten to mockbee. :nyrexall:

Nationalism is absolutely not a solution to the problems of the working class. Especially not a fake nationalism promulgated by huge amounts of money.
So you think Mounk is a crank? Really?

He shares your exact sentiment about Hungary..... :noclue:

He cares deeply about preserving liberal democracy. And if that means preserving people's (all people) desire to have pride of local or national or whatever pride, so be it. Not at the expense of other nations or peoples (like the neocons). But all people need a sense of shared pride in their lives. And not to some overarching incoherent corporation like Amazon or Apple or even EU. Something more personal and shared. This is just a fact of being a human. Not saying these large conglomerates shouldn't exist, but lets be careful in our worship of them.