Democratic Debates

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
chaos

Democratic Debates

#1 Post by chaos » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:18 am

I decided to create a debate thread to keep it separate from the campaign thread.

The first debate will span two nights: Wednesday June 26th and Thursday June 27th.

The first debate, sponsored by NBC News, MSNBC, and Telemundo, will take place on June 26 and 27 from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET at the Adrienne Arsht Center in Miami, Florida. The field will be split into two with 10 candidates debating each night. The DNC has said the lineups for each debate will be chosen at random.

These are the 20 candidates who will most likely participate:

(1)Senator Michael Bennet of Colorado; (2)former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr.; (3)Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey; (4)Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind.; (5)former housing secretary Julián Castro; (6)Mayor Bill de Blasio of New York; (7)former Representative John Delaney of Maryland; (8)Representative Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii; (9)Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York; (10)Senator Kamala Harris of California; (11)former Gov. John Hickenlooper of Colorado; (12)Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington; (13)Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota; (14)former Representative Beto O’Rourke of Texas; (15)Representative Tim Ryan of Ohio; (15)Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont; (17)Representative Eric Swalwell of California; (18)Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts; (19)the self-help author Marianne Williamson; (20)and the former tech executive Andrew Yang.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/politic ... 18391.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/us/p ... -2020.html

chaos

Re: Democratic Debates

#2 Post by chaos » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:56 am

Hype

#3 Post by Hype » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:24 pm

I still think Booker is going to pull off the nomination. He's been pretty quiet recently and will probably overcome the early criticism.

SR

#4 Post by SR » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:38 am

At first glance, it's interesting EW and BS are on different stages.

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:52 pm

Hype wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:24 pm
I still think Booker is going to pull off the nomination. He's been pretty quiet recently and will probably overcome the early criticism.
I'd love to have another black president. Just because it will infuriate Trump's racist base for him to lose to a black man.

Plus I like Corey Booker. But the first point just makes it better.

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:36 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:52 pm
Hype wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:24 pm
I'd love to have another black president. Just because it will infuriate Trump's racist base for him to lose to a black man.

Plus I like Corey Booker. But the first point just makes it better.
A lot of my esteemed colleagues are worried that it'll be Biden. :neutral:

My choice based on policy alone would be Warren, or maybe Kamala Harris (though apparently she's wonky on Criminal Justice stuff).

But, as I said with Clinton against Obama, the problem is that a lot of Americans, even progressives, may have a harder time seeing a woman president than literally any other kind of president, except maybe an atheist.

I would like to see the Democrats go harder left, though. They've been basically a Canadian center-right party since Clinton. And it's awesome to see the progressives really make some... progress... recently.

SR

#7 Post by SR » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:20 am

Biden and Sanders are essentially even in polls against trump, by about 10 points.

The democratic party is really interesting/different this time around....real parody with chalk leading by around 10 (Biden over Sanders just about everywhere). But the large field of other candidates are drawing large numbers collectively. They'll have to decide once we get closer to the nomination. Just before, I think people will think long and hard about the critical path to the goal of the orange purge.

mockbee

#8 Post by mockbee » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:55 am

Well I watched about 15 minutes of that. That was pathetic. They all looked really bad. Format is awful. I guess the cagematch is drawing viewers so the media comes out with their objectives met.... :tiphat:

They were all having an existential crisis right there on stage. No one realizes what year it is. This is not the 20th century. It seems this confuses most all of the candidates..... :crazy:

Trump gets it, Bernie sort of gets it. :noclue:

Even though Bernie far and away has the best chance against Trump in the general (still I think would lose, unless he has some persuasion tricks up his sleave, he has the material, just I don't know if he has the gumption to use it) it doesn't surprise me that the Media and other Dems are attacking him so hard from the right. I just wonder if they really believe what they are saying......or its just a self preservation thing. :hs:

Bernie policies are Classic Democrat, before Clinton came along and made them Republican light. Clinton won because he had charisma, not because of his policies.
Sanders could flip a ton of Trump voters if somehow he ended up with the nom and didn't apologize for his positions...I just dont see the charisma and deftness from Sanders that Trump already has.
:noclue: