LATimes: Raw Foods Buyers Club Raided

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
ellis

LATimes: Raw Foods Buyers Club Raided

#1 Post by ellis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:06 am

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/25 ... d-20100725
Raw-food raid highlights a hunger
Some people balk at restrictions on selling unprocessed milk and other foods. 'How can we not have the freedom to choose what we eat?' one says. Regulators say the rules exist for safety and fairness.
July 25, 2010|By P.J. Huffstutter, Los Angeles Times
With no warning one weekday morning, investigators entered an organic grocery with a search warrant and ordered the hemp-clad workers to put down their buckets of mashed coconut cream and to step away from the nuts.

Then, guns drawn, four officers fanned out across Rawesome Foods in Venice. Skirting past the arugula and peering under crates of zucchini, they found the raid's target inside a walk-in refrigerator: unmarked jugs of raw milk.
Apparently... you CAN'T choose what you desire to eat...

And here's a slanted article on the raid:
http://www.naturalnews.com/029547_raw_f ... _club.html

Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: LATimes: Raw Foods Buyers Club Raided

#2 Post by Hokahey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Fascinating. Ron Paul has been a huge proponent in Congress trying to get the restrictions lifted on raw milk.

It's amazing to me that we're not allowed to purchase the food of our choice. If they're THAT worried about it add a warning lable if they must.

thoreau

#3 Post by thoreau » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:23 pm

So, we can't purchase raw food, because of health reasons.

However, we can buy the vile menu items from McDonalds, etc?

ellis

#4 Post by ellis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:30 pm

Here's the thing about unpasteurized milk... you can it just about ANYWHERE in europe. In fact, it can be obtained from vending machines.

http://hartkeisonline.com/whole-and-nat ... s-markets/

So, what's more important... 1.) multiple choices, unregulated ...OR... 2.) Limited choices, regulated. ??

Furthermore, who is set to lose if there are so many choices on the market? Most likely, it's the corporations who are huge and regulated. I'm referring to some rich corporations who don't want competition AND the few who are competing are all selling the same product due to regulation.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5 Post by Hokahey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:08 pm

ellis wrote: I'm referring to some rich corporations who don't want competition AND the few who are competing are all selling the same product due to regulation.
Exactly. And they're the ones that curry favors with the politicians to get these regulations passed, which makes the "business" of being a politician very good, which attracts the wrong kind of people.

It's amazing the chain effect regulations have on corrupting the entire political system.

Jasper

#6 Post by Jasper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:53 pm

From a scientific standpoint, I think that raw milk is dangerous and idiotic. I don't support its use, so I don't have an issue with the laws. On the other hand, I don't have to drink it myself, so I'm not all that concerned about some new age clowns supping it up. Maybe a warning label is a good compromise, but it doesn't really protect children from their dumb-ass anti-science parents, so the debate could continue.

As for other raw foods and things, yeah, I mostly support that stuff. I am big on minimally processed foods. Something like food irradiation, like radiation humans undergo for medical reasons, can be a blessing and a curse. As Lou Reed sang:
Radiation kills both bad and good
It can not differentiate
To heal you they must kill you
The sword of Damocles* hangs above your head
*Damocles is a Greek legend which basically points out that one who is king must, paradoxically, live with constant danger and worry, being both powerful and highly vulnerable.

I think the argument against pasteurization is similar to the one against irradiation, but less-founded in science.

At the end of the day, I don't believe that humans should drink milk at all, and there's mainstream science which says it's unnecessary, and potentially dangerous. I don't drink it, and I don't cook with butter, although I do eat yogurt and small portions of cheese. I used to live next to a dairy in VT, but this was a small, family-owned dairy in a rural area, and that's the only type of place I'll get dairy products. Major dairies are very much like factory farms, which are ethically repugnant and environmentally destructive. My suggestion would be to consume pasteurized dairy, very sparingly, and to only procure it from small independent farms, with free-grazing animals who are fed organically-grown feed, and are not caged, crowded, or shot full of antibiotics.

Full disclosure - I was born on Avenue Louis Pasteur in Boston.