mockbee

Re: Coronavirus

#101 Post by mockbee » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:40 pm

Hype wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:19 pm
mockbee wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:15 pm
This is huge. :wavesad:

Everything cancelled. No joke on the stocking up on things....

I don't see how things just ramp back to normal in a month. Millions and millions of people are effectively out of work for the next month, most likely longer. How are the working class going to pay the bills....?

There needs to be a plan..... Where is the leader?
Impeached. And hopefully voted out of office after this massive clusterfuck of a response to a disaster far greater than 9/11.

Biden..... :no:

How America did you fuck this up so much.......?

I guess if he can just string the words together...."Where is the leadership......?!"

And remember the order of those words between now and election day....and ZIP it otherwise!!!!! :balls:
We'll be okay..... :thumb: :jasper:

Nothing against dementia patients, just not leadership caliber. Pick the VP very wisely.....

Artemis

#102 Post by Artemis » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:56 pm

This afternoon it was announced in Ontario that all publicly funded schools will close for 2 weeks after the March break, so kids will be off until at least April 6th.

I went grocery shopping for my mom today and I have to say the hoarding and panic buying is really ridiculous. The shelves in the supermarket were empty or sparse. People had carts packed with food and whatever paper products were left. It was nuts! Even beer is running low! Tomorrow I'm going to stock up on wine before that's gone too. :no:

Even the flour section was almost sold out.

mockbee

#103 Post by mockbee » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:10 pm

Why do you have so much crappy American beer??!!!

Is that all thats left...or is that what people are buying????!
:lol:

Matz

#104 Post by Matz » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:25 pm

Artemis wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:56 pm
This afternoon it was announced in Ontario that all publicly funded schools will close for 2 weeks after the March break, so kids will be off until at least April 6th.

I went grocery shopping for my mom today and I have to say the hoarding and panic buying is really ridiculous. The shelves in the supermarket were empty or sparse. People had carts packed with food and whatever paper products were left. It was nuts! Even beer is running low! Tomorrow I'm going to stock up on wine before that's gone too. :no:
Why? So you'll have wine for the next three weeks and then maybe run out for good? Hoarding isn't saving anyone. let others have wine too is my advice

kv

#105 Post by kv » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:33 pm

Look if she wants to grab a few bottles so what...if she was panic buying she would have grabbed them today....if we're gonna be locked down...being locked down with wine seems better than without

Matz

#106 Post by Matz » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:52 am

yeah I guess that's a point, go ahead Art, you have my blessings :wave:

I haven't heard anyone mention a possible lockdown though, don't think it'll come to that.

Mescal

#107 Post by Mescal » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:35 am

More or less lockdown in Belgium ....

Schools, restaurants, bars et all are closed.

Shops closed on the weekends (other than supermarkets)

Bandit72

#108 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:39 am

No school closures for us and 250,000 at the Cheltenham Gold Cup today :mad:

I went to my local hypermarket yesterday and I've never seen the shelves so bare. No hand wash, sanitiser or toilet roll.

Football wise, managers and players have been diagnosed so I doubt any games will be played this weekend. I think the European Championships will be cancelled too.

Hype

#109 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:35 am

So, I've been using online ordering with pickup for groceries for a few years because it beats spending an hour and a half wandering around a headache-inducing maze of marketing bullshit, muzak, and idiots. This week, went to place an order, and there are no time slots available until next Tuesday. Whoops! :lol: I guess I'll go check out the store around the corner to see if they've been emptied.

It's going to be an interesting few weeks/months.

Bandit72

#110 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:54 am

This was very interesting

Larry B.

#111 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:01 am

A friend who had traveled to South East Asia got tested, along with his girlfriend. They went voluntarily, as they are both doctors and had some flu-like symptoms. They were tested after 2 hours of waiting and were told that they couldn't leave until the results arrived, which would happen in some 5-7 hours.

Long story short, they were released after 36 hours and the result came back negative. They were given a leave of absence anyway.

He told me the test was quite unpleasant, as they inserted a tube that went up your nostril and down the throat a bit. It would collect some mucus and that would be sent to the lab.

My wife comes back from Peru tonight, and just yesterday Peru closed their borders to all incoming traffic from the US and Europe. So did Argentina. But since Chile is fully committed to being the USA of Latin America, we're doing fuck all. Business as usual.

mockbee

#112 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:23 am

The travel restrictions are crazy. I have no opinion on whether required or not, as I am sure it's a case by case basis for what is prudent and what is hysteria.

But wow.

So glad I had no plans to travel soon, and wasn't currently abroad, or any family members.
Two of my parents international trips were cancelled. They received fuck all in reimbursements... They even buy all the travel insurance you are supposed to buy. Fine print says.....doesn't cover pandemics (true for most all that travel insurance crap........ fuck insurance.

What a mess.

I think people are just in shock......this is going to reverberate in an a really intense way when people can't work, receive no paycheck for a couple months......

mockbee

#113 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:36 am

Opinion
Young and Unafraid of the Coronavirus Pandemic? Good for You. Now Stop Killing People | Opinion
A Doctor in Western Europe

On 3/11/20 at 2:29 PM EDT

I'm a doctor in a major hospital in Western Europe. Watching you Americans (and you, Brits) in these still-early days of the coronavirus pandemic is like watching a familiar horror movie, where the protagonists, yet again, split into pairs or decide to take a tour of a dark basement.

The real-life versions of this behavior are pretending this is just a flu; keeping schools open; following through with your holiday travel plans, and going into the office daily. This is what we did in Italy. We were so complacent that even when people with coronavirus symptoms started turning up, we wrote each off as a nasty case of the flu. We kept the economy going, pointed fingers at China and urged tourists to keep traveling. And the majority of us told ourselves and each other: this isn't so bad. We're young, we're fit, we'll be fine even if we catch it.

Fast-forward two months, and we are drowning. Statistically speaking—judging by the curve in China—we are not even at the peak yet, but our fatality rate is at over 6 percent, double the known global average.

Put aside statistics. Here is how it looks in practice. Most of my childhood friends are now doctors working in north Italy. In Milan, in Bergamo, in Padua, they are having to choose between intubating a 40-year-old with two kids, a 40-year old who is fit and healthy with no co-morbidities, and a 60-year-old with high blood pressure, because they don't have enough beds. In the hallway, meanwhile, there are another 15 people waiting who are already hardly breathing and need oxygen.

The army is trying to bring some of them to other regions with helicopters but it's not enough: the flow is just too much, too many people are getting sick at the same time.

We are still awaiting the peak of the epidemic in Europe: probably early April for Italy, mid-April for Germany and Switzerland, somewhere around that time for the UK. In the U.S., the infection has only just begun.

But until we're past the peak, the only solution is to impose social restrictions.

And if your government is hesitating, these restrictions are up to you. Stay put. Do not travel. Cancel that family reunion, the promotion party and the big night out. This really sucks, but these are special times. Don't take risks. Do not go to places where you are more than 20 people in the same room. It's not safe and it's not worth it.

But why the urgency, if most people survive?

Here's why: Fatality is the wrong yardstick. Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu. No travel for leisure or business is worth this risk.

Now, odds are, you might catch coronavirus and might not even get symptoms. Great. Good for you. Very bad for everyone else, from your own grandparents to the random older person who got on the subway train a stop or two after you got off. You're fine, you're barely even sneezing or coughing, but you're walking around and you kill a couple of old ladies without even knowing it. Is that fair? You tell me.

My personal as well as professional view: we all have a duty to stay put, except for very special reasons, like, you go to work because you work in healthcare, or you have to save a life and bring someone to hospital, or go out to shop for food so you can survive. But when we get to this stage of a pandemic, it's really important not to spread the bug. The only thing that helps is social restriction. Ideally, the government should issue that instruction and provide a financial fallback—compensate business owners, ease the financial load on everyone as much as possible and reduce the incentive of risking your life or the lives of others just to make ends meet. But if your government or company is slow on the uptake, don't be that person. Take responsibility. For all but essential movement, restrict yourself.

This is epidemiology 101. It really sucks. It is extreme—but luckily, we don't have pandemics of this violence every year. So sit it out. Stay put. Don't travel. It is absolutely not worth it.

It's the civic and moral duty of every person, everywhere, to take part in the global effort to reduce this threat to humanity. To postpone any movement or travel that are not vitally essential, and to spread the disease as little as possible. Have your fun in June, July and August when this—hopefully—is over. Stay safe. Good luck.

The author is a senior doctor in a major European hospital. She asked to remain anonymous because she has not been authorized to speak to the press.

As told to Dimi Reider.

The views expressed in this article are the author's own.
World Health Organization advice for avoiding spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19)

Hygiene advice

Clean hands frequently with soap and water, or alcohol-based hand rub.
Wash hands after coughing or sneezing; when caring for the sick; before; during and after food preparation; before eating; after using the toilet; when hands are visibly dirty; and after handling animals or waste.
Maintain at least 1 meter (3 feet) distance from anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
Avoid touching your hands, nose and mouth. Do not spit in public.
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or bent elbow when coughing or sneezing. Discard the tissue immediately and clean your hands.

Medical advice

If you feel unwell (fever, cough, difficulty breathing) seek medical care early and call local health authorities in advance.
Stay up to date on COVID-19 developments issued by health authorities and follow their guidance.

Healthy individuals only need to wear a mask if taking care of a sick person.
Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
Masks are effective when used in combination with frequent hand cleaning.
Do not touch the mask while wearing it. Clean hands if you touch the mask.
Learn how to properly put on, remove and dispose of masks. Clean hands after disposing of mask.
Do not reuse single-use masks.

Artemis

#114 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:37 am

Here's some positive news...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... 2BXJqEGacU
Canadian scientists make COVID-19 research breakthrough, isolating virus

TORONTO -- A group of Canadian scientists has successfully isolated and grown copies of the novel coronavirus responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic, paving the way for a potential vaccine.

Researchers say isolating the virus will help develop treatments, vaccines and tests for the virus and allow them to conduct long-term research to understand the biology of COVID-19.

"We need key tools to develop solutions to this pandemic,” Dr. Samira Mubareka, microbiologist and infectious diseases physician at Sunnybrook, said in a statement.

“While the immediate response is crucial, longer-term solutions come from essential research into this novel virus."

The team, made up of scientists from Sunnybrook Hospital, McMaster University and the University of Toronto, used samples taken from two Canadian COVID-19 patients to replicate the virus in a level three containment facility at the University of Toronto in a matter of weeks.

Mubareka says having access to the virus will allow researchers to start working on potential solutions to the pandemic before the outbreak peaks in Canada.

Meanwhile, Quebec-based biotech Medicago says it has taken the first step towards a vaccine by producing a virus-like particle of the novel coronavirus, which will now undergo testing for safety and efficacy.

As of Friday morning, there were 159 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Canada, including the Prime Minister’s wife Sophie Gregoire Trudeau.

The virus, declared a pandemic earlier this week by the World Health Organization, has infected 135,318 people worldwide and killed 4,981. However, 69,642 people have recovered from the virus.

Artemis

#115 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:41 am

Matz wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:25 pm
Artemis wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:56 pm

Why? So you'll have wine for the next three weeks and then maybe run out for good? Hoarding isn't saving anyone. let others have wine too is my advice
By stocking up, I meant about 6-8 bottles...enough to get through the weekend. :lol:

@mockbee: the pic I took just happened to be the section where American beer was.

mockbee

#116 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:56 am

Artemis wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:41 am

@mockbee: the pic I took just happened to be the section where American beer was.
Ahh... well that's embarrassing. :lol:

Here's a better American beer aisle....of course, if you are going for volume, this might set you back a bit.... $$$$$$

This is a typical beer aisle in a standard supermarket in Portland.
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

chaos

#117 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:23 am

chaos

#118 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:22 am

Trump is going to have a press conference at 3pm, presumably to declare a state of emergency and invoke the Stafford Act.

(I'm sure it will go well and everyone's fears will be calmed. :lol: :drink: )

Hype

#119 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:50 am

I think the best outcome given what's currently going on is that enough countries, industries, administrators, etc., take seriously the WHO recommendations and current data and help us enforce social distancing and self-isolation enough that the infection-curve flattens to the point where health-care systems aren't completely overwhelmed. Also, hopefully the regular supply-chains for things like food and toiletries are back to relative normal within a few weeks.

Otherwise, this is going to go very badly for far longer than it needs to.

The Worldometer just ticked over 140,000 cases...

chaos

#120 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:18 am

Boston Marathon scheduled for April 20th postponed until September 14th.

Louisiana presidential primary scheduled for April 4th postponed until June.

I was scheduled for jury duty at the end of March; I was able to reschedule it for next year. I do not know what is going on in the courts generally. (Everyone in MA who receives a notice has the option to change the date within a 365 day timeframe.)

Hype

#121 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:30 am

Oh man... I just had a frightening thought: imagine if Trump somehow figures out how to use this to cancel the election? :confused:

chaos

#122 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:40 am

Dear God. I have been optimistically assuming that the turmoil will have settled down by then. :scared:

mockbee

#123 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:47 am

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3656

I originally set it up so that you can change your vote............

:hehe:

:noclue:

:balls:

:scared:

:lol: :wink:
Last edited by mockbee on Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#124 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:01 am

Hype wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:30 am
Oh man... I just had a frightening thought: imagine if Trump somehow figures out how to use this to cancel the election? :confused:
He has zero Federal authority to do that. The states carry election authority.

It's also hard to imagine this still being as huge of an issue by November.

mockbee

#125 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:10 am

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:01 am

It's also hard to imagine this still being as huge of an issue by November.

How could it not be......? Who's paying the rent the next couple months? Your average joe (all the service people who work events/restaurants) don't even have $400 in savings......they are not going to work for a couple months....who is paying them? :noclue:

COVID-19 may or may not be an issue in a couple months.

Fall-out will be really huge though......