Coronavirus

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
mockbee

Re: Coronavirus

#126 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:20 am

I have some oatmeal, beans and rice and cheese and a 12 pack of beer....

....and internet. :pop: :dunce:

cocaine cat

Is Your Cat Staring at You? What It Means in Cat Language

Is your cat staring at you? Or, maybe you’ve noticed your cat staring at other cats in your household. What does cat staring mean in cat body language?
https://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/ca ... t-language

....as long as the water and electricity stays on.....that's all I need for the next couple months. :lol:

Hype

#127 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:22 am

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:01 am
Hype wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:30 am
Oh man... I just had a frightening thought: imagine if Trump somehow figures out how to use this to cancel the election? :confused:
He has zero Federal authority to do that. The states carry election authority.

It's also hard to imagine this still being as huge of an issue by November.
Right, so, the fact that the President himself cannot, say, sign an executive order postponing or otherwise cancelling the election, is good. But, just to be clear, wannabe dictators who actually became dictators often found ways to do so through technically legal, but unforeseen, mechanisms. Hitler did it. Mussolini did it. Putin literally just did it. It's not impossible that a series of well-meaning actions on the part of people around Trump could result in a serious threat to American democracy.

Consider that people are now writing articles like this: https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/11/ca ... ronavirus/

More tinfoil-hattedly, consider that after 9/11 there were concerns that this would happen, to the point where something like this had to be written: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/RL32471.pdf
Under a variety of possible scenarios that could arise as a result of a terrorist attack before or during an election, either the Congress or the states might pass legislation which would affect the timing of these elections. The suggestion has been made, however, that the Executive Branch might have some role in determining whether an election is to occur or whether it can be cancelled. While the Executive Branch does not currently have this power, it appears that Congress may be able to delegate this power to the Executive Branch by enacting a statute.
Okay, fine, you might say, COVID-19 is not a terrorist attack, it's a pandemic that the world is now finally acting strongly to try to mitigate. Right, that's precisely the worry: under the guise of "strong, decisive action", all kinds of abnormal legislative activity can be permitted.

There is speculation now about Trump imposing limits on movement of people within US borders. Consider that as soon as it's declared officially a "National Emergency", a new set of powers is granted: https://www.voanews.com/science-health/ ... -emergency
At the same time, a national emergency declaration also empowers a president to take draconian measures in the name of national security. For example, a president could invoke a 1941 law to shut down the internet and even freeze people’s bank accounts.
Obviously these things are unlikely to happen, at least, so overtly. But the problem with Trump is that he is precisely the sort of character we should be worried about going down this path: lack of empathy, obsession with being talked about, admired, and praised, money and power-driven, praises dictators, ostracizes allies, declares the media "the enemy of the people", constantly talks about reality as "fake news". This is already bad. It can easily get worse.

As for the difficulty of imagining this still being a problem in November. Well, there are warnings already that this virus isn't obviously going to be seasonal: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/its-a-f ... -says.html

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... mers-heat/

chaos

#128 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:35 am

Hype wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:22 am

Consider that people are now writing articles like this: https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/11/ca ... ronavirus/
^
The Trump campaign so far insists that no changes in either rallies or the Republican convention will be made, regardless of the epidemic. Many of his supporters, including members of the American Christian Union, continue to attend very large evangelical gatherings and believe that the arrival of COVID-19 is biblically predicted, and their faith will protect them.
Well I sure hope they don't lose faith now. (I know, a tasteless sentiment. Nevertheless, meow! :lol: )

Hype

#129 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:58 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... s-n1157981

Opens up more money to help the situation. Also broadens executive powers. :balls:

Larry B.

#130 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:45 pm

"I have it memorized, practically, as to the powers in that act. And if I need to do something, I'll do it. I have the right to do a lot of things that people don't even know about."
Jesus, the guy really is a twat.

chaos

#131 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:37 pm

The lengthy press conference was a joke. I'll try not to rant (too much).

The private sector is apparently going to pick up the slack (and I'm sure make some big $$$) with regard to testing. Keep in mind that Trump hollowed out the WH Pandemic Office which is a major reason for our being unprepared. When he was asked directly about it he said it was a "nasty question" and he didn't know anything about it. He justs fires people and dismantles government agencies by throwing darts on a board. :eyes:

Another gem: Trump stood next to a Bazilian aide on Saturday for a picture. Trump said he didn't remember the incident, didn't see the picture, has no symptoms, and has no plans to self-quarantine or be tested. He also said his doctors said he doesn't need to do those things. A reporter pointed out that Dr. Fauci ( head of NIH) emphasized that a person can get coronavirus by standing next to someone, that if you come into contact with someone you need to self-quarantine regardless of whether you have symptoms, and several members of Congress are doing just that. The reporter then asked if he was being selfish by not self-quarantining or getting tested. Trump said he never said he wouldn't get tested, and would "most likely" get tested at some point but not because of the interaction with the aid.

Also, every time Pence spoke, he praised Trump as though he was auditioning for a hostage video.

The whole thing was worse than the brief address on Wednesday and much more painful to watch.

chaos

#132 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:48 pm

clickie

#133 Post by clickie » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:11 pm

I'm crossing my fingers the Olympic's goes on. A lot of recent events whether it's sports or anything that draws a big crowd have been the show will go on, and then they cancel the next day.
My concern with the Olympics is now and moving forward the qualifying events might get waved off and that smells like a recipe for trouble.

Hype

#134 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:15 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... d_ms_fb_ma

I’m not the only one who wonders if this is a test run for the national election...

Artemis

#135 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:18 pm

https://www.wired.com/story/jack-ma-sup ... Q4EbcGPkGg
Jack Ma Offers to Supply the US With Covid-19 Tests and Masks
The donation from the Alibaba cofounder cleverly highlights the weakness in Washington's response to the pandemic.

As the US government promises to ramp up more Covid-19 testing, an unlikely billionaire is offering to lend his help: Jack Ma, cofounder of the Chinese tech giant Alibaba. Ma’s philanthropic organization, the Jack Ma Foundation, said early Friday morning it would donate 500,000 Covid-19 testing kits and 1 million protective face masks to the US. The action comes after US health authorities have struggled for weeks to test people for the new coronavirus, falling far behind testing rates in other developed countries like Italy and South Korea.

“The crisis presents a huge challenge to all humankind in a globalized world,” Ma said in a statement published to Twitter just after midnight on the East Coast. “The pandemic we face today can no longer be resolved by any individual country. Rather, we need to combat the virus by working hand in hand. At this moment, we can’t beat this virus unless we eliminate boundaries to resources and share our know-how and hard-earned lessons.” The Jack Ma Foundation says it has already contributed to other countries combating the coronavirus, including Japan, Korea, Italy, Iran, and Spain.

The donation is likely designed to do more than just boost the struggling health care system in the US. It’s a shrewd economic and political move that comes as relations between China and the US have grown tense. As China tries to restart its economy after it struggled to combat the coronavirus, it needs the US economy to be functional, too. Ma’s offer also deftly highlights US missteps while promoting cooperation.

“I was floored by the announcement,” says Samm Sacks, an expert on China at New America, a Washington, DC, think tank. “This is at once an olive branch for the two sides to step it up and collaborate, and a jab at the Trump administration.” :nod:

Officials in the Trump administration have repeatedly blamed China for the outbreak of Covid-19, while Chinese authorities have recently tried to push a conspiracy theory that the virus actually originated in the US, rather than Hubei province in China. Ma’s statement paints China as a rational leader equipped to aid a world superpower like the US, even as the Communist Party weathers the fallout from its own botched initial response to the coronavirus itself. “Jack Ma’s move is both very generous and politically savvy,” says Julia Voo, the research director of the China Cyber Policy Initiative at Harvard.

Nobody is saying whether the testing kits Ma has pledged to donate can actually be used in the US. The Food and Drug Administration is now allowing state and local laboratories to validate their own tests, which they can then use without needing to rely on the Centers for Disease Control own version. It’s possible the tests Ma plans to donate could be validated in this way, but it’s unclear if there are plans to do so. The FDA did not immediately return a request for comment. A spokesperson for Alibaba was also unable to provide details on the types of tests that will be donated and declined to comment about the announcement.

It’s also unclear how Ma’s donation might play with the Chinese government, or whether it had any involvement in organizing it. China has taken an increasingly hard stance in its dealings with the US, but the testing kits and masks fit with a national narrative that positions China as a leading player in solving the coronavirus pandemic. “I think there's a big push to build China as a savior,” says James Palmer, a senior editor at Foreign Policy and author of The Death of Mao, a book on the rise of modern China. “And because they ramped up manufacturing and brought up capacity, [they are] in a good position to do so.”

Tensions between the US and China have risen more broadly over the past couple of years, as the US has pushed for improved trade terms and concessions on market access and technology transfer. The White House has also imposed restrictions on business dealings with Chinese companies, which often appear designed to hamper technological development. The shock to global supply chains caused by the coronavirus has given US companies further incentive to diversify sourcing of components and products beyond China to avoid vulnerability in the event of a future global crisis. But disagreements between the world’s two largest economies also make it more challenging to deal with such a global emergency.

A decoupling of the US and China, where economic, technological, and political ties are frayed or severed, would be bad news for companies like Alibaba that depend on free trade and shared technology. The ecommerce giant has expanded its reach internationally in recent years through a series of acquisitions and investments. It also sources technology like microchips from the US for its cloud computing business. Shortly after Trump took office, Ma met with the president and promised to bring more than a million jobs to the US by connecting small businesses to suppliers and consumers.

Sacks says Ma’s offer marks a new turn in the rapidly evolving relationship between the world’s two greatest superpowers. “With this gesture, Ma seems to be saying that China is not just stepping up to fill the void in global leadership left by the Trump administration,” she says. “But now, and this is what is unprecedented to me, the void in US domestic leadership to navigate through our crisis here at home.”

mockbee

#136 Post by mockbee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:39 am

An Amazon merchant, Matt Colvin, with an overflow stock of cleaning and sanitizing supplies in his garage in Hixon, Tenn

He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer and Nowhere to Sell Them
Amazon cracked down on coronavirus price gouging. Now, while the rest of the world searches, some sellers are holding stockpiles of sanitizers and masks.

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver S.U.V. to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tenn., they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out.”

Matt Colvin stayed home near Chattanooga, preparing for pallets of even more wipes and sanitizer he had ordered, and starting to list them on Amazon. Mr. Colvin said he had posted 300 bottles of hand sanitizer and immediately sold them all for between $8 and $70 each, multiples higher than what he had bought them for. To him, “it was crazy money.” To many others, it was profiteering from a pandemic.

The next day, Amazon pulled his items and thousands of other listings for sanitizer, wipes and face masks. The company suspended some of the sellers behind the listings and warned many others that if they kept running up prices, they’d lose their accounts. EBay soon followed with even stricter measures, prohibiting any U.S. sales of masks or sanitizer.

Now, while millions of people across the country search in vain for hand sanitizer to protect themselves from the spread of the coronavirus, Mr. Colvin is sitting on 17,700 bottles of the stuff with little idea where to sell them.

“It’s been a huge amount of whiplash,” he said. “From being in a situation where what I’ve got coming and going could potentially put my family in a really good place financially to ‘What the heck am I going to do with all of this?’”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/tech ... e=Homepage

:conf:

:no:

Artemis

#137 Post by Artemis » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:39 am

Amazon did the right thing. Fuck that guy and all the other people exploiting this situation. :mad:

I was thrilled this morning when I saw some Lysol wipes at a drug store. I paid $8.50 for a container of 80.

Matz

#138 Post by Matz » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:38 am

mockbee wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:39 am
‘What the heck am I going to do with all of this?’”
How about giving it away for free, you dumb fuck?

Artemis

#139 Post by Artemis » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:24 am

Spain will be declaring national lockdown. :scared:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51888936

The Spanish government is poised to declare a 15-day national lockdown on Monday to battle coronavirus.

Under the decree being finalised, people would be allowed out only for emergencies, to buy food, or for work.

With 191 deaths and 6,046 infections, Spain is the worst-hit country in Europe after Italy, which declared a nationwide lockdown on Monday.

The US is extending its European travel ban to the UK and the Republic of Ireland from Monday.

President Donald Trump confirmed the news in answer to a reporter's question at the White House.

On Friday, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Europe was now the "epicentre" of the pandemic.

Italy has seen 1,266 deaths and 17,660 infections.

Director General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urged countries to use aggressive measures, community mobilisation and social distancing to save lives.

Several European countries have reported steep rises in infections and deaths in recent days.

mockbee

#140 Post by mockbee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:31 pm

Artemis wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:24 am

Hmmmmm...the two most recent robustly fascist countries in Europe on lockdown.
Germany seems different at least, seems we need local communities to be on board before the Feds say, don't move.........

Hard to know what to think of all this.... :scared:

I don't see the US people standing for a Fed/State mandated lockdown.
I can see strong suggestions in place, but nothing mandated.

Italy has seen 1,266 deaths and 17,660 infections.
That is bad.

Hype

#141 Post by Hype » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:57 pm

mockbee wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:31 pm
Artemis wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:24 am

Hmmmmm...the two most recent robustly fascist countries in Europe on lockdown.
Also two of the poorest countries in Western Europe. (We don’t count Eastern Europe and Greece).

Artemis

#142 Post by Artemis » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 pm

"From an Italian to the rest of the world:you have no idea what's coming."
If you're staying in and have time, read this!

https://old.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comm ... _you_have/

**US confirmed cases went from 1,000 to >2,500 in the last 48 hours.**

Hype

#143 Post by Hype » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:26 pm

It would be incredible (literally, unbelievable) if the current measures work and the numbers slow down to levels the system can handle.

I suspect we'll still see upwards of 25% of the world infected in a few months.

Larry B.

#144 Post by Larry B. » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:05 pm

Hype wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:26 pm
It would be incredible (literally, unbelievable) if the current measures work and the numbers slow down to levels the system can handle.

At the current rate, that’d mean 60M+ fatalities. That’s horrible.

mockbee

#145 Post by mockbee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:27 pm

Young, Confident and Flying, Virus Be Damned

For some people, a $50 plane ticket is too good a deal to pass up, even during a pandemic.
If you have to work remotely, why not do it in Hawaii? Some people are booking cheap flights and doing just that.

Marco Garcia for The New York Times
Jonathan Wolfe

By Jonathan Wolfe

March 13, 2020

As people self-quarantine, work from home and generally wall themselves off from the outside world, Joe DeSimone is preparing to travel the globe.

In the last few weeks, the 30-year-old game design instructor from Austin, Texas, has booked two flights — to London and Toronto — and has getaways to Nashville and Los Angeles in the works.

He’s one of a number of young people who have watched airline ticket prices plunge in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, and have seen it as their golden opportunity to travel.

“The way I see it,” Mr. DeSimone said, “either things will normalize and prices will return to a rate that makes it difficult for me to travel, or the world is going to end and I might as well enjoy it while it lasts.”

Raj Mahal, 32, runs PlanMoreTrips, an online travel planning app he launched in January. For the last month, as the number of coronavirus cases ticked up, activity on his site declined. But then, nearly overnight, he saw a 20 percent jump in bookings — largely from people flying out of tech hubs like San Francisco, Seattle and New York — to warmer locations like Hawaii, Australia and South America.

Curious about the trend, he emailed customers to ask them why they were booking. He learned that many were employees of large tech companies like Uber, Twitter, Amazon and Google, who had been given instructions to work remotely.

“A bunch of them were saying, well, the coronavirus is here in my city, so we may as well go somewhere else,” Mr. Mahal said. “We’ve even seen co-workers booking together. They figure if we have to work from home, we might as well go rent a house in Hawaii.”

Get an informed guide to the global outbreak with our daily coronavirus newsletter.

To tap into this new market, Mr. Mahal made a “coronavirus flight alert,” a program that aggregates cheap flights and emails users suggested itineraries.

“If you’re comfortable with the risk, the prices are like the cheapest they’ve been in 10 years,” Mr. Mahal said. “Flights are cheap, lodging is cheap, there are no tourists.”

Traveling during the pandemic flies in the face of expert advice and government advisories. Travelers who are infected, even if they are not showing symptoms, may transport and spread the virus to a new location, or contaminate an airplane, cab or Airbnb. While they may be healthy enough to survive the virus, they could be putting others at risk.

They could also get infected during their travels, and have to be hospitalized during a trip, or get quarantined somewhere far from home.

But for people like Mr. DeSimone, the risks can feel very abstract, while the deals are quite concrete. “As far as I can tell, the mortality rate is like sub one percent for people who aren’t elderly, [yeah...fuck 'em :neutral: ]” said Mr. DeSimone, who added that he’s willing to risk infection for his cheap international trips. “Odds are, if I get sick, it will be like a bad flu.”

On Wednesday, he saw a round-trip flight from Austin to Los Angeles for $50.

“I spend more than 50 bucks on cigarettes and coffee in a weekend,” he said, “so like, why not?”

Some argue that these travelers may be a shot in the arm for the travel industry, buying tickets at a time where carriers are flying near empty planes and filling Airbnbs and hotels as people stop taking trips.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#146 Post by Hokahey » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:10 pm

Hype wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:26 pm

On a personal, local level.

St. Louis has stopped all large gatherings over 250 people. Roads are incredibly empty. People are working from home. School districts are closing. Colleges are closing. We started drive by testing today that is easily accessible. We've done all we can short of completely shutting the city down. And maybe we'll need to, but I'm not certain it will come to that. If it does, I think it will certainly slow things to a manageable level. It can't not.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#147 Post by Hokahey » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:14 pm

Artemis wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 pm
"From an Italian to the rest of the world:you have no idea what's coming."
If you're staying in and have time, read this!

https://old.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comm ... _you_have/

**US confirmed cases went from 1,000 to >2,500 in the last 48 hours.**

Italy is the apple to many countries orange. Different demographics, geography, etc.

Also, cases in the US will continue to jump in a big way as full on testing gets underway.

St. Louis just started mass testing today. We're at 2 cases currently. Im sure that will jump quite a bit by next week as the results come in. The more positive cases, the better. Then we isolate.

nausearockpig

#148 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:47 pm

We’re having a few beers and some snacks at the pub and the bar woman says the place has been dead for about two weeks. This place is usually so packed it’s hard to get a table.

Groan.

mockbee

#149 Post by mockbee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:36 pm

In case you cat/dog owners were wondering........I got this FAQ from my Vet.
:lolol:
Should my pet wear a mask?
No. There's no scientific evidence that face masks protect pets from infectious diseases or air pollutants, and masks have the potential to be unnecessarily scary or uncomfortable for pets.

Should I get my pet tested for COVID-19?
At this time, testing pets for COVID-19 is unwarranted, as there is currently no indication that apparently healthy and unexposed pets should be tested for the virus.

chaos

#150 Post by chaos » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:14 pm

Why outbreaks like coronavirus spread exponentially, and how to “flatten the curve”
By Harry Stevens March 14, 2020

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... simulator/