Coronavirus

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Bandit72

Re: Coronavirus

#176 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:17 am

UK is keeping everything open but saying don't go.

Errrr, hello????

chaos

#177 Post by chaos » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:08 pm

clickie wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:20 am
What are you saying this rhetoric about it only having an impact on the elderly is just a myth?
They are starting to see serious cases with relatively healthy people in their 30s and 40s.

chaos

#178 Post by chaos » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:20 pm

I went shopping last Wednesday before the declaration of a national emergency and it was the apocalypse then. There were some bare shelves and people were a little stressed. It was nothing like today though. Today was scary. It was a whole other vibe. The stock in stores is 75-80% depleted and people looked vacant. I was overwhelmed. I don't know why. I have read/heard the stories. It's been coronavirus non-stop, but standing in one of the stores today it hit me hard. I thought I was going to start crying.

mockbee

#179 Post by mockbee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:33 pm

I got more provisions a couple days ago to last at least 5 weeks. It was alright here. Just out of TP and sanitizer....and eggos...a little funny because another lady was looking for them as well and we were both miffed. :wink:

I haven't seen panic, but I havent been to the grocery for a couple days....well yesterday I was in bumfuck, OR Safeway to use the restroom and there was no panic in sight and plenty of TP and polite people... :tiphat: ...one benefit for heralding Trump out there, no panic. :lol:

They say stock is fine.....plenty of provisions coming as the supply chain has not been disrupted for food at least. :noclue:

Artemis

#180 Post by Artemis » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:07 pm

So, Trudeau did announce that only Canadians, permanent residents will be allowed into Canada and only 4 airports to remain open in the country. There are some exceptions, he said domestic flights and flights from the U.S., Mexico and the Caribbean will not be affected and that the measures do not apply to commerce or trade.

Toronto's medical officer of health has ordered all restaurants and bars stop dine-in service and offer only take-out or delivery effective from midnight.

I'm with chaos, I feel really stressed. I think because I'm consuming news about COVID-19 all day long and late into the night and I'm constantly checking the stats around the world too. :scared:

Oh, and we had 3 more deaths today and over 400 cases now.

I was thinking to go buy some weed to numb out but decided not to as I think that will make me feel extra paranoid.
Last edited by Artemis on Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry B.

#181 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:10 pm

chaos wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:08 pm
clickie wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:20 am
What are you saying this rhetoric about it only having an impact on the elderly is just a myth?
They are starting to see serious cases with relatively healthy people in their 30s and 40s.
In Chile, there are currently 2 serious cases: a 44 year old man and a 22 year old woman.

creep
Site Admin

#182 Post by creep » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:15 pm

I'm not too worried myself but if I do get it I hope to get it now while I can get decent medical care. The grocery stores where I live are out of a lot of stuff. I felt fortunate that I found bottled water today.

I am worried about the economy and I pulled out of the stock market today and lost about 20% of what I had. That was stressing me out so I felt it was better for me to pull out than to constantly look at the market all day. It's only money.

I sold my home a few months ago and am renting a house now so selfishly I hope housing goes down. :noclue:

intertwoven

#183 Post by intertwoven » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:23 pm

creep wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:15 pm
I sold my home a few months ago and am renting a house now so selfishly I hope housing goes down. :noclue:
We had just started looking to buying a house. Pausing the search till the dust settles.

clickie

#184 Post by clickie » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:24 pm

Is water from the faucet way worse than bottled water because that's what I drink. I guess it depends on where you live.

Larry B.

#185 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:27 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:23 pm
creep wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:15 pm
We had just started looking to buying a house. Pausing the search till the dust settles.
We already had our loan approved... now we’ll try to negotiate a new interest rate. The market is collapsing here too.

mockbee

#186 Post by mockbee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:02 pm

clickie wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:24 pm
Is water from the faucet way worse than bottled water because that's what I drink. I guess it depends on where you live.
Water from faucet is fine, and will be, if it was fine before corona.

Its actially better than bottled in a lot of places (outside Flint :no: and other places where mega-metropolises don't belong like Phoenix)

They will not shut down, or contaminate water. Only earthquakes and nuclear disaster is when to worry about water....

mockbee

#187 Post by mockbee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:07 pm

I don't have any stocks, just measly 401kthat was doing shit anyways. Property is where it's at.

I was about to purchase a nice size lot in a small defunct logging town with outdoor opportunitues that had a garage and utilities already on it for 60k but missed my chsnce, now glad I didn't grab it. Been looking at a lot a mile outside of that town, over an acre, flat with trees and all utilities already there for same price....hoping that goes down, already sitting there for 60 days. :noclue:

mockbee

#188 Post by mockbee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:12 pm

This is one time I am thankful to be in ruralish West.... Pretty much shrugs here....people always have the mindset of take care of yourself, cause no one else is going to do it for you....

:noclue:

Pandemonium

#189 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:48 pm

Had to go to what turned out to be several stores just to pick up a few regular grocery items today. Blown away how cleaned out stores are. Paper goods, cleaning supplies and water gone last week, now it's canned food, meat and dairy. Bar soap was tough to find. Fruits and Veggies look to be next on the hording menu. Interesting that frozen foods still seem pretty plentiful. Also had to run by the pharmacy to pick up my wife's regular perscrips - line of about 25+ people, all tightly packed.... so much for "social distancing."

This afternoon, one of the biggest malls in SoCal, nearby South Coast Plaza is going to completely shut down tonight for two weeks. My wife's mall is seriously discussing the same scenario as more and more tenants are either limiting their hours or just not opening their doors this week.

It's a good thing I have a few indoor hobbies and am well stocked on supplies. Looks like I'll be home for the next few weeks whether I like it or not.

Bandit72

#190 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:38 am

I tell you what hasn't out over here is all the Vegan stuff. It may kick give me a a kick up the arse to buy some Quorn and try some other vegan stuff.

This may be a dumb question but do you get local butchers in the states? The one by my work is amazing. They make their own sausages, pies, pasties, scotch eggs, the beef is to die for, the chicken breasts are huge, the gammon is amazing. Going to go up there today to stock up on meat to freeze. I don't think I've bought any meat from a supermarket in the last 6 months.

mockbee

#191 Post by mockbee » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:31 am

Production worldwide is grinding to a halt......

This is completely unprecedented in contemporary history.

Finance/markets are the most massively elaborate concocted shell game, based on keeping the whole thing going at all costs, with no pauses and no questions asked.

What happens now?

mockbee

#192 Post by mockbee » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:00 am

Leave it to Oregon......

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lol:

:wave:

Newport police ask residents not to call 911 over toilet paper shortages

Even if your local store looks like this when you go shopping for toilet paper...please do not call 911.

The rapidly-spreading coronavirus has launched Oregon into uncharted territory, and with recent orders to stay inside and avoid crowds, it can be difficult to figure out how to solve common problems that could usually be fixed by a simple trip to the store. For those problems, though, one coastal police department is here to say: Calling 911 is not the answer.

The Newport Police Department posted to Facebook on Saturday, begging residents not to call the emergency line if they run out of toilet paper.

“You will survive without our help,” the post said.

The post then went on to explain that if residents do run out of toilet paper, they can get creative, as many people throughout history have done — even using the natural resources that abound in the region.

“Seamen used old rope and anchor lines soaked in salt water,” the police department said. “Ancient Romans used a sea sponge on a stick, also soaked in salt water. We are a coastal town. We have an abundance of salt water. Sea shells were also used.”

The post went on with an impressively long list of alternatives to toilet paper, ranging from the reasonable (cotton balls) to the alarming (corn cobs??).

“Be resourceful. Be patient. There is a TP shortage. This too shall pass,” the post concluded. “Just don’t call 911. We cannot bring you toilet paper.”

The post quickly gained thousands of views, with outlets like CNN sharing it far and wide. But despite their impassioned plea for residents to find other solutions, the Newport Police Department took to Facebook on Monday afternoon to clarify an important point. No one had actually called 911 yet about a lack of toilet paper.

“This is being pro-active and preventative, because we know from experience over the years that people tend to call 911 with the weirdest request. It’s just a matter of time before the TP shortage was one of those weird calls.”

They also urged people to use common sense.

“We did not suggest that anyone using alternative options flush any of it,” the post said. “We assumed that adults have already been educated on what they may and may not flush.”

If you’re one of those unlucky people out of toilet paper, maybe it’s a good time for a trip to the beach — at a socially appropriate distance.

bman

#193 Post by bman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:04 am

Stay safe all. I think Petty should do an instagram video every day to get us through this! I work in ad sales which is pretty much caput now. Lost 30% of my investments over the last 4 weeks. My Mother is in her 80's and lives by herself. My sister lives near her though. I have no clue when I'll be able to see her next. Good times! I think we'll get through this. We'll be able to find a therapy hopefully by the summer. Something like a Tamiflu. The markets and economy will be shit for a while. But they always come back. 2020 is basically a bust. We'll get through it!

Hype

#194 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:23 am

Hey, don't sweat the drop in your investments unless you were planning to cash in next week. See if you can find some extra cash lying around and make the best of it while stuff's relatively cheap. Then just close your eyes for a few years!

mockbee

#195 Post by mockbee » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:27 am

Leave it to bman to be the eternal optimist! Lovin it! :bigrin:
:wiggle:

Certainly if the apocalypse is coming we're going to need generosity and positivity in spades....

Hope your family stays safe.
:wave:

We're having a family gathering next week. It may be more than eight, but fuck it....! :flip:

mockbee

#196 Post by mockbee » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:31 am

$850 Billion stimulus....

$50 Billion for airlines corporate set. :yikes:

And payroll tax cut for the white collars working from home, need help setting up that home office ya know.........oh maybe $2 extra per check for working class who still have any work.... :bs: :waits:

Yang UBI making a bunch of sense right now......

Hype

#197 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:58 am

mockbee wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:27 am
We're having a family gathering next week. It may be more than eight, but fuck it....! :flip:
That is an extraordinarily bad idea. Please consider postponing it.

mockbee

#198 Post by mockbee » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 am

Hype wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:58 am
mockbee wrote:
We're in pretty normal contact with each other and live in the same area. Kinda ironic that it's my aunt and uncle, who are doctors, who organized it last week. They might think otherwise depending on what happens in the next week. Ith

I'm by no means an ardent capitalist, but is there a cost/benefit analysis to be had with killing the market? - This will be worse than the great depression. How could it not be.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/upsh ... e=Homepage

Matz

#199 Post by Matz » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:02 am

Hype wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:58 am
mockbee wrote:
Are you feeling all right mockbee?! Wauw!

Pandemonium

Re:

#200 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:11 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:38 am
I tell you what hasn't out over here is all the Vegan stuff. It may kick give me a a kick up the arse to buy some Quorn and try some other vegan stuff.

This may be a dumb question but do you get local butchers in the states? The one by my work is amazing. They make their own sausages, pies, pasties, scotch eggs, the beef is to die for, the chicken breasts are huge, the gammon is amazing. Going to go up there today to stock up on meat to freeze. I don't think I've bought any meat from a supermarket in the last 6 months.
Yeah, I go to one about once a month down in Newport Beach called The Butchery for steaks, etc and did so over the weekend. Still had everything, no shortages, no lines. The only thing is, everything they sell is top quality and thus high priced.