Coronavirus

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Hype

Re: Coronavirus

#376 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:46 am

The hand waving needs to stop, but so do the hysterics.
It’s not hysterics. The United States is actively sabotaging its own health on a countrywide scale. Go to any hospital right now and you’ll see the effect it’s having.

Stop telling people they’re hysterical because you personally haven’t seen anyone die from this.

chaos

#377 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:29 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 am
chaos wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:14 am
NYC has passed the point of being able to flatten the curve. The Army Corp of Engineers is there converting two convention centers (as well as dorms on two SUNY campuses) into makeshift hospitals because they are running out of space in the regular hospitals. Think about that. They are not reacting to sensationalism. They are acting on scientific projections based limited numbers due to inadequate testing, as well as what is currently happening on the fucking ground.
You have to remember that many of these measures are precautionary in nature.

Look, I'm not poo-pooing the severity here. But as I've already pointed out in regards to the refrigerated trucks tweet, there ABSOLUTELY is a certain amount of sensationalism happening right now.

The facts are that thus far, it does appear more fatal than the flu. But primarily in older populations and far less than original models have indicated. Most experts agree the mortality rate will fall significantly when all is said and done.

And yes, we run the risk of overrunning our healthcare system. But that is not where we're at. Based on headlines alone you'd think we're out here digging mass graves.

The hand waving needs to stop, but so do the hysterics.

chaos wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:34 am
Why do you think the tweet is sensational? Because it shows a picture of the truck? Because everything mentioned in it paints too grim of a picture?

It states: Two city morgues are full. They are.
It states: The rest will reach capacity this week. Based on the fact that confirmed cases are still rising regardless of the fact that they are slightly less than projected I think it is likely capacity will indeed be reached. Remember, people can die for other reasons besides contracting coronavirus.
It states: NYC ordered 85 trucks from FEMA. They did.
AND it includes a link to an article detailing what is going on in the hospital where the truck in the picture is parked.

Yeah the mortality rate will fall when all is said done. With regard to NYC, the problem is they don't know when the apex will be reached. We don't run the risk of overrunning the healthcare system in NYC. It is overrun today. They need supplies, staff, and space.

Maybe it would be better to forgo publicizing the fact there are refrigerated trucks outside of hospitals. Why even have the trucks. We're not digging mass graves. If worse comes to worse, they can just throw the bodies in the street. Jesus Christ.

Larry B.

#378 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:44 pm

Yeah the mortality rate will fall when all is said done.
This phrase is a bit strange to me... it's like... "when people stop dying, we'll see that people aren't dying anymore."

About 3.5% of infected people will die. A huge percentage of infected people about 80 will die. If countries don't take reasonable measures and their health systems collapse, we might all end up knowing someone whose relative died from it.

I just don't think is worth it to risk it. I don't want to die, don't want my wife to die and wouldn't want to infect my nephews or parents.

kv

#379 Post by kv » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm

Jesus, the stupid in this thread today...

Just wait for it people....it's gonna happen before your stupid fucking eyes

If this kills 1% it's 10x worse then the flu...and they don't run outa beds with the flu...and the flu isn't gonna fuck the staff like this is...or the economy...just wait for that to take full effect so the dolts of the world can know what's already transpired....

Honestly kinda refreshing to see morons here....I've been seeing them riding bikes at the beach and crowding parks and gathering all over...figured we were lucky to not see so many here...but people are people...

Juana

#380 Post by Juana » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:11 pm

kv wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm

If this kills 1% it's 10x worse then the flu...and they don't run outa beds with the flu...and the flu isn't gonna fuck the staff like this is...or the economy...just wait for that to take full effect so the dolts of the world can know what's already transpired....

Honestly kinda refreshing to see morons here....I've been seeing them riding bikes at the beach and crowding parks and gathering all over...figured we were lucky to not see so many here...but people are people...
1% would be 3 million its still horrible if it's .5% we're literally on lockdown here unless its for essentials and they will throw people in jail for violating it I know 3 people going thru it one going thru it and 1 that died and another that is a friend of a friend. This shit is not a joke. And KV I know you were not saying that but to Hokas comment this is gonna calm down its not.

It will peak in 4-6 weeks.

clickie

#381 Post by clickie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:38 pm

kv wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm

You need to calm down my man

kv

#382 Post by kv » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:52 pm

You need a coloring book and crayons...

kv

#383 Post by kv » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:10 pm

Yes, please continue deleting your posts... :thumb:

Hype

#384 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:11 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:44 pm
Yeah the mortality rate will fall when all is said done.
This phrase is a bit strange to me... it's like... "when people stop dying, we'll see that people aren't dying anymore."

About 3.5% of infected people will die. A huge percentage of infected people about 80 will die. If countries don't take reasonable measures and their health systems collapse, we might all end up knowing someone whose relative died from it.

I just don't think is worth it to risk it. I don't want to die, don't want my wife to die and wouldn't want to infect my nephews or parents.
3% of 40% of 7.5 billion is a way larger number than the number ‘3’ makes it seem. It’s 90 million people. Do you know how many people died in World War 2? 75 million people, over 6 years.

Larry B.

#385 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:28 pm

Of course. It’s awful. That’s my point.

I don’t think “panic” is needed, but your daily decisions are more about eventually surviving than the daily decisions you made 2 months ago, both for yourself and the people around you.

No need to panic, but it needs to be taken seriously. Because if something bad happens, you can’t go back.

clickie

#386 Post by clickie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:32 pm

No one is taking this 6 foot social distanceing seriously

kv

#387 Post by kv » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:45 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:28 pm

I don’t think “panic” is needed, but your daily decisions are more about eventually surviving than the daily decisions you made 2 months ago, both for yourself and the people around you.

No need to panic, but it needs to be taken seriously. Because if something bad happens, you can’t go back.
The panic is caused by the people who are being careless that can and will impact people I care about...if more people took it serious the "panic" would calm

Juana

#388 Post by Juana » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:54 pm

kv wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:45 pm
Larry B. wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:28 pm

The panic is caused by the people who are being careless that can and will impact people I care about...if more people took it serious the "panic" would calm
This right here... so many people are not realizing even if it doesn't kill you being sick for a month is no fun

mockbee

#389 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:27 pm

I think everyone (meaning here) is dealing with this in their own way.....I think we have to forgive them for that - as long as they aren't directly putting others in danger.
This is weird times and stuff changes daily/hourly..... :noclue:

Nobody here is an official, and I assume we are all taking the quarantine seriously.............

I was at the store earlier this week and got extra "stuff" food/supplies so I wouldn't have to go back for the next three weeks. The checkout person was commenting the whole time how ridiculous people are being, buying all this stuff. I just kinda stared at him, slightly nodding....from about 6-7' away. There were 4-5 other checkers just gathered around the exit to the checkout gabbing back and forth. The checker kept yelling out "$350 HERE!!! That's a record!...Margot, what did you have earlier today?! $325?!?! We got $365 here now!!" I have no idea why there were doing that. People are dealing with this differently....... I got my stuff and got out of there, and was glad I made the decision I did, I don't want to go back to the store again for quite sometime. I have also stopped visiting my mom.

One bonus was during my trip to the store, they were of course cleaned out of TP, for the second/third week in a row, and I was okay about it, but would have to make due with something else in the next week or two if I didn't find any. Anyways....I was rounding a corner and stuffed behind the paper plates and picnic supplies was some package. I looked closer and was shocked, I thought it was a mirage, it was a 12 pack of toilet paper!!! I looked around to be sure nobody was claiming it, or saw it too. I grabbed it and put it on my cart...people kept came by and got close and asked where I got that?! Some people touching it.... :conf:

I ended up hiding the whole package under other stuff and trying to get the hell out of there.....people are weird.

I am not going out (outside of my jogs/bike rides/nature walks) for quite some time.....

Hokahey
Site Admin

#390 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:10 pm

I'm taking everything VERY seriously. I'm barely leaving the house. I'm social distancing. I'm wiping everything down at grocery stores. I'm washing my hands frequently.

I also do not believe worst case models will be reality. And the numbers will prove that right. Watch.

chaos

#391 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:21 pm

mockbee wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:23 am

How is Boston doing?
Massachusetts has over 3200 cases, 35 deaths. Boston has over 600 cases and 150 of those are healthcare workers. Supplies are low and the Governor is frustrated since Massachusetts (as well as other states) keep getting outbid by the Federal Government for supplies/equipment.

The Governor issued an "advisory" stating that travelers entering Massachusetts are urged to self-quaratne for 14 days. It is posted on highway signs, and pamphlets are given to people at the airports, train and bus stations.

People seem to be taking it seriously.

Rhode Island, on the other hand, issued a self-quarantine "order" for people traveling to their state from New York. State Police are at their borders, and the National Guard is at the bus depots and train stations. I have no idea how her order will be enforced.
https://www.necn.com/news/local/ri-gov- ... e/2251198/

During her daily news conference, Raimondo said she will now be ordering anyone arriving in the state from New York to self-quarantine for 14 days in order to protect residents. Rhode Island State Police will be at the borders and will be stopping any vehicles with New York license plates, she said.

In addition, National Guard Troops will be stationed at bus depots and train stations to further implement the new policy. The purpose is to collect contact information.

Hype

#392 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:56 pm

Sort of "good news" for B.C. that helps justify what we're all doing: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... -patients/

They think that the social distancing measures have actually helped keep things at a manageable level. So, it works.

Bad news: it's not over. You have to keep doing it. But at least it means that hospitals can continue to function, with increased precautions.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#393 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:01 pm

Hype wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:56 pm
Sort of "good news" for B.C. that helps justify what we're all doing: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... -patients/

They think that the social distancing measures have actually helped keep things at a manageable level. So, it works.

Bad news: it's not over. You have to keep doing it. But at least it means that hospitals can continue to function, with increased precautions.
Wonderful news.

Bandit72

#394 Post by Bandit72 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:58 am

Just seeing the military are already in Johannesburg. 6 people in one shack ordered to stay in, isn’t happening. It could escalate massively in Africa.

Matz

#395 Post by Matz » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:58 am

That is good news about B.C, means it should work here too, although we don't see the effect yet. But we should soon. Unfortunately there are quite a few people here that are quite nonchalant about this, hope they haven't fucked things up too much

Artemis

#396 Post by Artemis » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:07 am

Matz wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:58 am
That is good news about B.C, means it should work here too, although we don't see the effect yet. But we should soon. Unfortunately there are quite a few people here that are quite nonchalant about this, hope they haven't fucked things up too much
I think Denmark is doing something right because the cases aren't increasing as rapidly as in other places. Canada was well behind Denmark in cases a week ago, now we are close to 5000 cases. I do realize the population is much smaller than Canada.

Matz

#397 Post by Matz » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:28 am

ok might be, but the name of the game o course is: How many are on a ventilator and how many ventilators are there, not really how many infected people there are. Denmark has 970 and as of today 104 people are on a ventilator so there's no panic yet, but if the number keeps climbing we're fucked.

Larry B.

#398 Post by Larry B. » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:24 am

I thought this video was good and could be interesting for some here. Very briefly, it proposes a graph that shows when measures are having a considerable effect in 'beating' the virus.

And here's a link to the graph itself: https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

chaos

#399 Post by chaos » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:32 am

NY, NJ, CT may be issued federally mandated quarantines. (Didn't know the Fed Gov could do that :hs: ) And the virus peak in NY may be in 14-21 days.

FYI: For those of you who do not have a subscription to the Washington Post site, they are providing stories on coronavirus for free. Below are two, short updates from them along with the links.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... etro-area/

Trump says he’s considering a two-week quarantine on the New York metro area

By Colby Itkowitz
March 28, 2020 at 12:56 p.m. EDT

President Trump said Saturday he may announce later in the day a federally-mandated quarantine on the New York metro region, placing “enforceable” travel restrictions on people planning to leave the New York tristate area because of the coronavirus outbreak.

“Some people would like to see New York quarantined because it’s a hot spot,” Trump told reporters outside the White House before departing for an event. “I’m thinking about that right now, we might not have to do it, but there’s a possibility that sometime today we’ll do a quarantine, short-term, two weeks, on New York. Probably New Jersey. Parts of Connecticut.”

Trump said he spoke with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) about it. Asked if the quarantine pertained to limiting travel out of those areas, Trump said it was and it would be enforceable.

“I’d rather not do it, but we might need it,” he said.

Cuomo, who was simultaneously giving a press briefing, said he had not spoken to Trump about a potential federal quarantine.

“I haven’t had those conversations,” Cuomo said when asked about Trump’s comments. “I don’t even know what that means.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... test-news/

Live updates: Trump says he is considering coronavirus quarantine on New York, parts of New Jersey and Connecticut

By Karla Adam, Brittany Shammas, Emily Rauhala, Kim Bellware and Lateshia Beachum
March 28, 2020 at 1:14 p.m. EDT

President Trump said Saturday he may announce later in the day a federally-mandated quarantine on the New York metro region, placing “enforceable” travel restrictions on people planning to leave the New York tri-state area because of the coronavirus outbreak.

The news comes as the United States has become the epicenter of the novel coronavirus pandemic, with more than 100,000 confirmed infections and nearly 1,600 deaths.

Here are some significant developments:

-The outbreak in New York — the hardest-hit state so far — will reach its apex in “14 to 21 days,” Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo anticipated. The surgeon general warned that Detroit, New Orleans and Chicago are becoming “hot spots.”

-More than 600,000 people have been infected and at least 28,000 have died worldwide, according to Johns Hopkins University. Italy has been hit especially hard, with more than 9,000 deaths — most in the world. Italy has also surpassed China’s reported case total, with more than 86,000 infections as of Saturday.

-South Korea marked a new milestone, as more coronavirus patients have been discharged than those currently undergoing treatment.

-Following several days of back-and-forth criticism with Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D), President Trump granted her request for a disaster declaration, as well as one for Massachusetts.

guysmiley

#400 Post by guysmiley » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:42 am

so went everyone is contradicting everyone...It means no one knows whats going on. This is the truest thing you'll hear. Let's see how the system works. Ironically communist China might be the only ones to get through it.