Coronavirus

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Coronavirus

#361 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:02 am

Mescal wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 pm
Hoka, just out of curiousity: are you a Trump supporter?
Because I don't like sensationalism? No, no I'm not.

But there are a lot of headlines cherry picking quotes and dealing with worse case projections that are causing undue panic.

Hype

#362 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:27 am

The problem is that the federal response by the United States is absolutely being catastrophically mishandled. And the states and major cities are being held hostage by a sociopathic President who wants a quid pro quo for federal help right now.

That isn't sensationalism. You can watch what actually happens day-to-day.

We've now hit over half a million confirmed cases and 25,000 (confirmed) deaths. American record-keeping (especially in California) is apparently not as good as the rest of the world right now and cases/deaths are being missed.

Based on the rough calculation I did way back at the beginning of this thread based roughly on the doubling rate, we should now expect to see 1.5 million cases in a week or two.

clickie

#363 Post by clickie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:37 am

It's a super low amount of people are dying from this

Hype

#364 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:39 am

clickie wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:37 am
It's a super low amount of people are dying from this
Again, the case death rate for the 1918 flu was 5%. It seems low, until half the world is infected. What's 5% of half of the world?

Hype

#365 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:40 am

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... nd/608719/
“No matter what, a virus [like SARS-CoV-2] was going to test the resilience of even the most well-equipped health systems,” says Nahid Bhadelia, an infectious-diseases physician at the Boston University School of Medicine. More transmissible and fatal than seasonal influenza, the new coronavirus is also stealthier, spreading from one host to another for several days before triggering obvious symptoms. To contain such a pathogen, nations must develop a test and use it to identify infected people, isolate them, and trace those they’ve had contact with. That is what South Korea, Singapore, and Hong Kong did to tremendous effect. It is what the United States did not.

clickie

#366 Post by clickie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 am

Dont compare this to the flu

Hype

#367 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:45 am

clickie wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 am
Dont compare this to the flu
What? It has a higher death rate and much higher transmissibility than the seasonal flu (as far as we can currently tell). And no good treatment if you get pneumonia.

clickie

#368 Post by clickie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:48 am

This is a weaker virus compared to what wiped most of us out in the early years

clickie

#369 Post by clickie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:57 am

When you really think about it how many people died during the great depression 60 thousand

Hype

#370 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:04 am

You need to stop now. It's not a joke. This is not a "weaker" virus. Polio wasn't particularly deadly for children (though it was for adults), and was deadly generally because of paralysis. But it still changed the world to not have to worry about it anymore. This new virus is dangerous because it's *new*. Like, no one's immune system has ever encountered it before. If you're immunocompromised or over 70 the death rate is as high as polio was for adults.

Please stop trolling. It's fucking stupid.

clickie

#371 Post by clickie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 am

Theres no one in the world taking this more seriously than me

chaos

#372 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:14 am

NYC has passed the point of being able to flatten the curve. The Army Corp of Engineers is there converting two convention centers (as well as dorms on two SUNY campuses) into makeshift hospitals because they are running out of space in the regular hospitals. Think about that. They are not reacting to sensationalism. They are acting on scientific projections based limited numbers due to inadequate testing, as well as what is currently happening on the fucking ground.

mockbee

#373 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:23 am

chaos wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:14 am
NYC has passed the point of being able to flatten the curve. The Army Corp of Engineers is there converting two convention centers (as well as dorms on two SUNY campuses) into makeshift hospitals because they are running out of space in the regular hospitals. Think about that. They are not reacting to sensationalism. They are acting on scientific projections based limited numbers due to inadequate testing, as well as what is currently happening on the fucking ground.
How is Boston doing?

This is all really very curious and scary and...... wearisome.
There is no end in sight.... and next to "nothing" is happening in +90% of the country. :noclue:

The calm before the storm, that may never come..... or be cataclysmic.......

It's so strange.

My colleagues are starting to be laid off, these are professionals.....of course the service workers are screwed.... :wavesad:

I am really thankful for my situation....

mockbee

#374 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:38 am

Some important lessons here when tele-working during corona lockdown:

https://www.facebook.com/celotoxica/vid ... 908643328/

Hokahey
Site Admin

#375 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 am

chaos wrote:
You have to remember that many of these measures are precautionary in nature.

Look, I'm not poo-pooing the severity here. But as I've already pointed out in regards to the refrigerated trucks tweet, there ABSOLUTELY is a certain amount of sensationalism happening right now.

The facts are that thus far, it does appear more fatal than the flu. But primarily in older populations and far less than original models have indicated. Most experts agree the mortality rate will fall significantly when all is said and done.

And yes, we run the risk of overrunning our healthcare system. But that is not where we're at. Based on headlines alone you'd think we're out here digging mass graves.

The hand waving needs to stop, but so do the hysterics.

Hype

#376 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:46 am

It’s not hysterics. The United States is actively sabotaging its own health on a countrywide scale. Go to any hospital right now and you’ll see the effect it’s having.

Stop telling people they’re hysterical because you personally haven’t seen anyone die from this.

chaos

#377 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:29 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 am
chaos wrote:
You have to remember that many of these measures are precautionary in nature.

Look, I'm not poo-pooing the severity here. But as I've already pointed out in regards to the refrigerated trucks tweet, there ABSOLUTELY is a certain amount of sensationalism happening right now.

The facts are that thus far, it does appear more fatal than the flu. But primarily in older populations and far less than original models have indicated. Most experts agree the mortality rate will fall significantly when all is said and done.

And yes, we run the risk of overrunning our healthcare system. But that is not where we're at. Based on headlines alone you'd think we're out here digging mass graves.

chaos wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:34 am
Why do you think the tweet is sensational? Because it shows a picture of the truck? Because everything mentioned in it paints too grim of a picture?

It states: Two city morgues are full. They are.
It states: The rest will reach capacity this week. Based on the fact that confirmed cases are still rising regardless of the fact that they are slightly less than projected I think it is likely capacity will indeed be reached. Remember, people can die for other reasons besides contracting coronavirus.
It states: NYC ordered 85 trucks from FEMA. They did.
AND it includes a link to an article detailing what is going on in the hospital where the truck in the picture is parked.

Yeah the mortality rate will fall when all is said done. With regard to NYC, the problem is they don't know when the apex will be reached. We don't run the risk of overrunning the healthcare system in NYC. It is overrun today. They need supplies, staff, and space.

Maybe it would be better to forgo publicizing the fact there are refrigerated trucks outside of hospitals. Why even have the trucks. We're not digging mass graves. If worse comes to worse, they can just throw the bodies in the street. Jesus Christ.

Larry B.

#378 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:44 pm

Yeah the mortality rate will fall when all is said done.
This phrase is a bit strange to me... it's like... "when people stop dying, we'll see that people aren't dying anymore."

About 3.5% of infected people will die. A huge percentage of infected people about 80 will die. If countries don't take reasonable measures and their health systems collapse, we might all end up knowing someone whose relative died from it.

I just don't think is worth it to risk it. I don't want to die, don't want my wife to die and wouldn't want to infect my nephews or parents.

kv

#379 Post by kv » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm

Jesus, the stupid in this thread today...

Just wait for it people....it's gonna happen before your stupid fucking eyes

If this kills 1% it's 10x worse then the flu...and they don't run outa beds with the flu...and the flu isn't gonna fuck the staff like this is...or the economy...just wait for that to take full effect so the dolts of the world can know what's already transpired....

Honestly kinda refreshing to see morons here....I've been seeing them riding bikes at the beach and crowding parks and gathering all over...figured we were lucky to not see so many here...but people are people...

Juana

#380 Post by Juana » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:11 pm

kv wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm

If this kills 1% it's 10x worse then the flu...and they don't run outa beds with the flu...and the flu isn't gonna fuck the staff like this is...or the economy...just wait for that to take full effect so the dolts of the world can know what's already transpired....

Honestly kinda refreshing to see morons here....I've been seeing them riding bikes at the beach and crowding parks and gathering all over...figured we were lucky to not see so many here...but people are people...
1% would be 3 million its still horrible if it's .5% we're literally on lockdown here unless its for essentials and they will throw people in jail for violating it I know 3 people going thru it one going thru it and 1 that died and another that is a friend of a friend. This shit is not a joke. And KV I know you were not saying that but to Hokas comment this is gonna calm down its not.

It will peak in 4-6 weeks.

clickie

#381 Post by clickie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:38 pm

kv wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm

You need to calm down my man

kv

#382 Post by kv » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:52 pm

You need a coloring book and crayons...

kv

#383 Post by kv » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:10 pm

Yes, please continue deleting your posts... :thumb:

Hype

#384 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:11 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:44 pm
Yeah the mortality rate will fall when all is said done.
This phrase is a bit strange to me... it's like... "when people stop dying, we'll see that people aren't dying anymore."

About 3.5% of infected people will die. A huge percentage of infected people about 80 will die. If countries don't take reasonable measures and their health systems collapse, we might all end up knowing someone whose relative died from it.

I just don't think is worth it to risk it. I don't want to die, don't want my wife to die and wouldn't want to infect my nephews or parents.
3% of 40% of 7.5 billion is a way larger number than the number ‘3’ makes it seem. It’s 90 million people. Do you know how many people died in World War 2? 75 million people, over 6 years.

Larry B.

#385 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:28 pm

Of course. It’s awful. That’s my point.

I don’t think “panic” is needed, but your daily decisions are more about eventually surviving than the daily decisions you made 2 months ago, both for yourself and the people around you.

No need to panic, but it needs to be taken seriously. Because if something bad happens, you can’t go back.