Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Hype

Re: Coronavirus

#661 Post by Hype » Mon May 04, 2020 12:26 pm

mockbee wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:47 am
SR wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:15 am
I am really concerned about the ripple effects of this thing. The very real possibilities in every sector are horrifying.....add human nature and voila, broken beyond repair.
Yup. This is going to permanently change everything. Unless it just magically goes away in 6 mos. I think the question is, will it be bigger than WWII, or even WWI...!?

I think human nature is alright. We're actually pretty smart/resourceful when given time and liberty. Look at the shit we have figured out.....

I mean technology and industrialization is not only deadly and oppressive....it is also astoundingly complex and brilliant......:noclue:
It's probably a bit more like 9/11 than world wars. One of the major impacts of WWII was a huge loss of working-age men (and spouses / fathers). COVID-19's main loss of life will be the very elderly, which is very different. The economic impact will be worse than 9/11, and more global, but more similar to it, in that it involves things like grounding regional and international travel/flights/vacations, and knock-on effects on tourism and related industries. The effects on manufacturing, shipping, and service are kind of the opposite of what happens in wartime (with the exception of increases in prices of certain things).

mockbee

#662 Post by mockbee » Mon May 04, 2020 1:49 pm

Well I guess I was referencing more overall severity/far reaching nature of event impact. Not literally how it impacts.

Yeah, like a 9/11 everyday though......

In terms of deaths to an isolated group of civilians, that doesn't impact labor directly. But does have a huge impact on the world's notion of safety and ability to conduct business in an "unsecure" environment, where doing anything is a potential threat to ones/families safety.

Stressing the everyday 9/11 component as well. After 9.11 it was just a matter of people's gumption to resume activities. This is literally, don't go out or you put people at risk...guess the fear component is a slow burn though.
:noclue:

mockbee

#663 Post by mockbee » Mon May 04, 2020 2:58 pm

mockbee wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:49 pm
Well I guess I was referencing more overall severity/far reaching nature of event impact. Not literally how it impacts.

In terms of deaths to an isolated group of civilians, that doesn't impact labor directly. .....

Well, actually, let me correct myself. It does impact a significant slice of labor directly. Healthcare workers AND anyone affiliated with frontline/healthcare work are dying/at risk.
:wavesad:
Three hospital workers gave out masks. Weeks later, they all were dead.

...Ryan Christopher Jones for The New York Times

They did not treat patients, but Wayne Edwards, Derik Braswell and Priscilla Carrow held some of the most vital jobs at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens.

As the virus tore through the neighborhood, their department managed the masks, gloves and other protective gear inside Elmhurst, a public hospital at the center of the city’s outbreak. They ordered the inventory, replenished the stockroom and handed out supplies, keeping count as the number of available masks began to dwindled.

By April 12, they were all dead.

The pandemic has taken an undisputed toll on doctors, nurses and other front-line health care workers. But it has also ravaged the often-invisible army of nonmedical workers in hospitals, many of whom have fallen ill or died with little public recognition of their roles.

The victims included the security guards watching over emergency rooms. They were the chefs who cooked food for patients. They assigned hospital beds and checked patients’ medical records. They greeted visitors and answered phones. They mopped the hallways and took out the garbage.

“You know how people clap for health workers at 7 o’clock? It’s mainly for the nurses and doctors. I get it. But people are not seeing the other parts of the hospital,” said Eneida Becote, whose husband died last month after working for two decades as a patient transporter. “I feel like those other employees are not focused upon as much.”

UNSUNG HEROES The virus has taken a steep toll on the often-invisible army of employees who keep New York’s hospitals running.

Artemis

#664 Post by Artemis » Mon May 04, 2020 3:39 pm

Haha...this really made me laugh.

Hype

#665 Post by Hype » Mon May 04, 2020 3:56 pm

mockbee wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:58 pm
mockbee wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:49 pm

In terms of deaths to an isolated group of civilians, that doesn't impact labor directly. .....

Well, actually, let me correct myself. It does impact a significant slice of labor directly. Healthcare workers AND anyone affiliated with frontline/healthcare work are dying/at risk.
:wavesad:
Three hospital workers gave out masks. Weeks later, they all were dead.

...Ryan Christopher Jones for The New York Times

They did not treat patients, but Wayne Edwards, Derik Braswell and Priscilla Carrow held some of the most vital jobs at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens.

As the virus tore through the neighborhood, their department managed the masks, gloves and other protective gear inside Elmhurst, a public hospital at the center of the city’s outbreak. They ordered the inventory, replenished the stockroom and handed out supplies, keeping count as the number of available masks began to dwindled.

By April 12, they were all dead.

The pandemic has taken an undisputed toll on doctors, nurses and other front-line health care workers. But it has also ravaged the often-invisible army of nonmedical workers in hospitals, many of whom have fallen ill or died with little public recognition of their roles.

The victims included the security guards watching over emergency rooms. They were the chefs who cooked food for patients. They assigned hospital beds and checked patients’ medical records. They greeted visitors and answered phones. They mopped the hallways and took out the garbage.

“You know how people clap for health workers at 7 o’clock? It’s mainly for the nurses and doctors. I get it. But people are not seeing the other parts of the hospital,” said Eneida Becote, whose husband died last month after working for two decades as a patient transporter. “I feel like those other employees are not focused upon as much.”

UNSUNG HEROES The virus has taken a steep toll on the often-invisible army of employees who keep New York’s hospitals running.
Yeah, I should have included that there's obviously going to be a pretty brutal effect on healthcare workers (not just deaths now, but PTSD, etc.), which I think is similar to the effect on FDNY, NYPD. And again, obviously not the same as a single terror attack in literal details of the event(s). That's obviously a silly comparison if you're not making the correct analogy -- so is comparing COVID-19 to the Eastern Front, or storming the beaches at Normandy. Good analogies are difficult because people get hung up on dissimilarities that aren't relevant to the point of the analogy. (And part of the point should be trying to convey something important.)

mockbee

#666 Post by mockbee » Mon May 11, 2020 10:32 am

"I guess @united is relaxing their social distancing policy these days? Every seat full on this 737," Dr. Ethan Weiss said in a tweet on Saturday.
Uh......yeah, not flying anytime soon.........

I was supposed to go visit relatives in WV next month. Got a notice that my flight was canceled last week and rescheduled and dropped me off in Chicago instead of Charleston.... 500 miles short of my desitination with two extra stops....phhhht....."rescheduled" so United doesn't have to give me a refund, and can consolidate flights, to look like above........... :waits: :essence:

Whatever I am just taking the credit....

I don't even really care about possibly getting the virus. I've been taking standard precautions, but I still I figure it's going to happen or not happen. People I know have got the virus and they were doing the whole 9 yards of isolation and wiping down groceries, etc...... Just the social awkwardness of appropriateness is impossible to parse out and I don't feel like dealing with it....
:jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :bored: :banghead: :drink:
The model from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington now forecasts more than 137,000 Americans will die by early August, up from its previous forecast of 134,000 deaths.

That rise is largely due to Americans moving around more, IHME Director Dr. Christopher Murray said in a news release, adding that in some places the upward trend in movement began before statewide measures were relaxed. Researchers tracked that movement through anonymous cell phone data, according to the release.

"Unless and until we see accelerated testing, contact tracing, isolating people who test positive, and widespread use of masks in public, there is a significant likelihood of new infections," Murray said in the release.

kv

#667 Post by kv » Mon May 11, 2020 3:03 pm

:evilol: covid post 666

Bandit72

#668 Post by Bandit72 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:06 am

Interesting about Mexico. I bet the cartels don't give a shit.

https://news.sky.com/story/mexico-city- ... s-11987235

Larry B.

#669 Post by Larry B. » Thu May 14, 2020 11:37 am

In Chile, we've just gone from about 300 new cases per day (which was complete bullshit official numbers) to over 2,000 new cases per day. There's a total lockdown for Santiago starting tomorrow. A collapse of the healthcare system is predicted for probably the last week of May and/or first week of June.

These fascist capitalist fuckwits are just letting people die. Why couldn't do this lockdown in fucking March, when we had our first cases and when China, Italy and Spain had already collapsed but South Korea and Germany were doing things properly.

Matz

#670 Post by Matz » Thu May 14, 2020 11:40 am

sorry to hear that Larry, that's tough.

Hype

#671 Post by Hype » Thu May 14, 2020 8:11 pm

What does "lockdown" amount to in Chile?

Up here in Canada, since mid-March the provinces have pretty much shut everything except grocery stores, restaurant-delivery, and essential services down for like two months, banned gatherings of more than five people (including in homes). They even stopped all but emergency surgeries at the hospitals. But I don't know if "lockdown" means something stronger than that. What were the "physical distancing" policies in place, if any, prior to this?

Ontario is about to start phase one of reopening things since we seem to have dropped to only 250-300 or so new cases a day (in a province of 14.5 million) for several days in a row. We had a high of 640. There are only 3500 or so active cases in the province (31,000 for the country).

Bandit72

#672 Post by Bandit72 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:47 am

It's been predicted that there will be a second wave in this country by the end of the month. Wednesday was 'go back to work if you can' day. So obviously on Wednesday public transport took a right battering. Why they couldn't have done lock down for another month and THEN assessed the situation I have no idea. Supermarkets are still very strict but I've noticed far more people out and about as if it's all done and dusted.

If it does all go tits up in June, there will be another lock down and probably a lot stricter than the first one.

Larry B.

#673 Post by Larry B. » Fri May 15, 2020 6:03 am

Hype wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:11 pm
What does "lockdown" amount to in Chile?

Up here in Canada, since mid-March the provinces have pretty much shut everything except grocery stores, restaurant-delivery, and essential services down for like two months, banned gatherings of more than five people (including in homes). They even stopped all but emergency surgeries at the hospitals. But I don't know if "lockdown" means something stronger than that. What were the "physical distancing" policies in place, if any, prior to this?

Ontario is about to start phase one of reopening things since we seem to have dropped to only 250-300 or so new cases a day (in a province of 14.5 million) for several days in a row. We had a high of 640. There are only 3500 or so active cases in the province (31,000 for the country).
Yeah, I worded that poorly.

Starting tonight, the entire Santiago province (with about 5 million people) will be in quarantine. I.e., everyone is expected to stay home. Companies can open basically as they see fit, but since there's not people walking around to buy things, most companies are closed and have either fired or furloughed their employees. Essential services are to remain open, and you need to take out a permit to leave your house. If you don't get the permit and are caught by the police without it, you can be fined. Also, since early March we are under curfew from 10 PM to 5 or 6 AM. Soldiers can also be seen throughout the day sort of policing the streets, supposedly making sure that the supply chain is working properly.

The Chilean 'government' is not disclosing how they get the numbers they share officially every day. The National College of Doctors has been fighting with the government since early March because of this, to no avail. The Ministry of Health has also been placing more and more obstacles to get tested, so now you have to fulfil a criteria of like 5 requirements, otherwise they'll just send you home with an aspirin or something. Plenty of people have died from covid-19 after being denied tests. Now, if you're on the private healthcare system, you can just go, pay and get tested.

mockbee

#674 Post by mockbee » Fri May 15, 2020 6:19 am

Larry B. wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:03 am
Essential services are to remain open, and you need to take out a permit to leave your house. If you don't get the permit and are caught by the police without it, you can be fined. Also, since early March we are under curfew from 10 PM to 5 or 6 AM. Soldiers can also be seen throughout the day sort of policing the streets, supposedly making sure that the supply chain is working properly.
Yikes. :scared:

I don't think we would ever get to that point here. Of course, it's all a matter of perspective. If I drive my car without a license or insrance I can get fined/go to jail.....

How do you get a physical permit to go outside? They mail it to you? You go to an office somewhere? Do people take it seriously? -> Civilians/govt?

Larry B.

#675 Post by Larry B. » Fri May 15, 2020 6:51 am

You visit an 'online police station', select why you want/need to go out (e.g., to buy groceries or medicine, to walk your dog, to have a walk with a disabled person, to go to the doctors, to a funeral, etc.), wait about 10-15 minutes and get it in your e-mail.

Or you can also go to your closest police station and request one.

I've read that some people have been charged money for a permit, which is obviously illegal.

And you can request a maximum of 2 permits per week.

Hype

#676 Post by Hype » Fri May 15, 2020 4:20 pm

mockbee wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:19 am
Larry B. wrote:
Essential services are to remain open, and you need to take out a permit to leave your house. If you don't get the permit and are caught by the police without it, you can be fined. Also, since early March we are under curfew from 10 PM to 5 or 6 AM. Soldiers can also be seen throughout the day sort of policing the streets, supposedly making sure that the supply chain is working properly.
Everything Larry said is pretty much what we have up here in Canada, except that you don't need a permit to leave your house. You can be fined a huge amount of money (minimum $750 I think) for congregating in groups larger than 5 in public or private, or using any public space for recreation, which is pretty similar to Larry's description, but a bit less strict in the sense that we're allowed to go for a run / walk the dog. No soldiers needed, though.

If I've understood, it sounds like the business policy is less harsh than Canada's, where literally everything that has a storefront that isn't essential had to either shut down or do curbside pickup. It seems like most office work has transitioned to Work-From-Home if it can be, and if business hasn't gone to shit to the point where they need to furlough people.

Artemis

#677 Post by Artemis » Fri May 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Hype wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:20 pm

It seems like most office work has transitioned to Work-From-Home if it can be, and if business hasn't gone to shit to the point where they need to furlough people.
I just started a new job in April. The company shipped me a laptop and on my first day a guy from the IT department called me to get me set up to work remotely. My "team" communicates on Skype for Business and Webex, individually and group chat. People have been working from home for 9 weeks already and if necessary could do so for another 18 months at least. Prior to the lockdown the company did some systems upgrades and everything has been going smoothly so far. Who knows, maybe this will be a permanent thing. I mean, my company and others would save a lot of money not having to lease office space anymore.
I have to say it's weird starting a new job from home. There's no social pressure which is nice for me because I'm not one of those loud office extroverts. :lol:

Did you see Doug's cheesecake's recipe?

Hype

#678 Post by Hype » Sat May 16, 2020 4:54 am

I found it difficult to take seriously after he broke the rules that apply to us all and then just kind of shrugged it off. He's clearly reading statements prepared by others 90% of the time and it bothers me that he could use this to gain favour from voters for the next election, despite being objectively bad for this province.

mockbee

#679 Post by mockbee » Sat May 16, 2020 6:50 am

Hype wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:20 pm
mockbee wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:19 am
Larry B. wrote:
Everything Larry said is pretty much what we have up here in Canada, except that you don't need a permit to leave your house. You can be fined a huge amount of money (minimum $750 I think) for congregating in groups larger than 5 in public or private, or using any public space for recreation, which is pretty similar to Larry's description, but a bit less strict in the sense that we're allowed to go for a run / walk the dog. No soldiers needed, though.

If I've understood, it sounds like the business policy is less harsh than Canada's, where literally everything that has a storefront that isn't essential had to either shut down or do curbside pickup. It seems like most office work has transitioned to Work-From-Home if it can be, and if business hasn't gone to shit to the point where they need to furlough people.
Appropriate civilian behaviouuur :wink: aside, what do you think of your government's restrictions? Have there been instances of fines levied?

We (Oregon) have strongly worded suggestions here galore, to the point it is very confusing what is recommended in what county and what business applies to what provision, where each city and county and state "recommendations" start and stop and what the plan is moving forward. If we added fines and arrests to the mix, it would be well...

Scrutiny of Social-Distance Policing as 35 of 40 Arrested Are Black

Mayor Bill de Blasio said the police had enforced rules properly, but other officials expressed concern about tactics similar to unfair “stop and frisk” practices.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/nyre ... virus.html
..................and.... a okay.... ----->
:noclue:

Video captured crowds of sunbathers, many without masks, sitting close together at a park on a Manhattan pier, uninterrupted by the police.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_vfp25A3-4/

Yossi fler photo
@yossiflerphoto
·
May 2
Replying to
@NYPDnews
I am confused so if I'm Jewish I will get $1,000 fine? @NYCMayor
Police officers on bicycles were deployed in Queens on Saturday.Credit...Victor J. Blue for The New York Times

In recent weeks, thousands of officers have been dispatched to parks, streets and subways to enforce public health orders from the mayor and Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, cracking down with warnings, fines and arrests to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
:noclue: :balls:

Hype

#680 Post by Hype » Sat May 16, 2020 12:58 pm

I'm very concerned about police-overreach, a turn to fascism, etc., especially after the pandemic ends. Most of the powers come from emergency orders, so the assumption is that it won't continue. But it's not impossible that legislators start reworking permanent laws about contact-tracing, isolation, quarantine, etc., in a way that permanently affects rights. Especially minority rights, since the wealthy seem to be able to just break these rules with impunity.

Larry B.

#681 Post by Larry B. » Sat May 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Hype wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:58 pm
I'm very concerned about police-overreach, a turn to fascism, etc., especially after the pandemic ends. Most of the powers come from emergency orders, so the assumption is that it won't continue. But it's not impossible that legislators start reworking permanent laws about contact-tracing, isolation, quarantine, etc., in a way that permanently affects rights. Especially minority rights, since the wealthy seem to be able to just break these rules with impunity.
In Latin America, that’s a given.

The first measure the Chilean government made was curfew from 10 PM to 5 AM, for at least 90 days. The only people allowed out were the military. What’s the point of that? Sure, you prevent parties and events... but you’re still letting people be exposed in public transport and their work throughout the day. And that’s (obviously) exactly what happened.

The American intervention in this part of the continent through the 1970’s is still unfortunately deeply rooted. Fascism and their distribution of ignorance is quite rampant. Today, one of the Ministers said that a general quarantine would’ve been harmful for public health if wr had gone with that in early March, because with so many children inside their homes, they would’ve caught the virus earlier.

It doesn’t make any sense.

Hype

#682 Post by Hype » Sat May 16, 2020 6:40 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:51 pm
Hype wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:58 pm
In Latin America, that’s a given.

The first measure the Chilean government made was curfew from 10 PM to 5 AM, for at least 90 days. The only people allowed out were the military. What’s the point of that? Sure, you prevent parties and events... but you’re still letting people be exposed in public transport and their work throughout the day. And that’s (obviously) exactly what happened.

The American intervention in this part of the continent through the 1970’s is still unfortunately deeply rooted. Fascism and their distribution of ignorance is quite rampant. Today, one of the Ministers said that a general quarantine would’ve been harmful for public health if wr had gone with that in early March, because with so many children inside their homes, they would’ve caught the virus earlier.

It doesn’t make any sense.
Yeah, I've heard from some colleagues that it's absolutely a fucking mess in Brazil right now.

Artemis

#683 Post by Artemis » Mon May 18, 2020 6:13 am

Hype wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:54 am
I found it difficult to take seriously after he broke the rules that apply to us all and then just kind of shrugged it off. He's clearly reading statements prepared by others 90% of the time and it bothers me that he could use this to gain favour from voters for the next election, despite being objectively bad for this province.
Agree! I posted it because it is so ridiculous and that it's meant to be so endearing and light. The entire Ford continue to believe that the rules don't apply to them. A couple of my friends have been rethinking Doug and seem to have softened on their opinions because of the way he's been handling the COVD situation. I agree that he's been doing a better job than i expected but I haven't forgotten who he is and what he was doing prior to this with cuts to health care and education.

Artemis

#684 Post by Artemis » Mon May 18, 2020 6:44 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/heal ... -ZdnjtrRyI
Coronavirus Vaccine Trial by Moderna Shows Promising Early Results

The company said its preliminary test in 8 healthy volunteers was safe. It is on an accelerated timetable to begin a larger human trial soon.

The first coronavirus vaccine to be tested in people appears to be safe and able to stimulate an immune response against the virus, its manufacturer, Moderna announced on Monday.

The findings are based on results from the first eight people who each received two doses of the vaccine, starting in March.

Those people, healthy volunteers, made antibodies that were then tested in human cells in the lab, and were able to stop the virus from replicating — the key requirement for an effective vaccine. The levels of those so-called neutralizing antibodies matched the levels found in patients who had recovered after contracting the virus in the community.

The company has said that it is proceeding on an accelerated timetable, with the second phase involving 600 people to begin soon, and a third phase to begin in July involving thousands of healthy people. The Food and Drug Administration gave Moderna the go-ahead for the second phase earlier this month.

If those trials go well, a vaccine could become available for widespread use by the end of this year or early 2021, Dr. Tal Zaks, Moderna’s chief medical officer, said in an interview. How many doses might be ready is not clear, but Dr. Zaks said, “We’re doing our best to make it as many millions as possible.”

There is no proven treatment or vaccine against the coronavirus at this time. Dozens of companies in the United States, Europe and China are racing to produce vaccines, using different methods. Some use the same technology as Moderna, which involves a segment of genetic material from the virus called messenger RNA, or mRNA.

Moderna said that additional tests in mice that were vaccinated and then infected found that the vaccine could prevent the virus from replicating in their lungs, and that the animals had levels of neutralizing antibodies comparable to those in the people who had received the vaccine.

Three doses of the vaccine were tested: low, medium and high. These initial results are based on tests of the low and medium doses. The only adverse effect at those doses was redness and soreness in one patient’s arm where the shot was given.

But at the highest dose, three patients had fever, muscles and headaches, Dr. Zaks said, adding that the symptoms went away after a day.

But the high dose is being eliminated from future studies, not so much because of the side effects, but because the lower doses appeared to work so well that the high dose is not needed.

“The lower the dose, the more vaccine we’ll be able to make,” Dr. Zaks said.

Moderna’s stock was up 40 percent in pre-market trading.

Some info about Moderna

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02 ... d-vaccines

Artemis

#685 Post by Artemis » Tue May 19, 2020 4:10 pm

So, my province, Ontario, will not be re-opening schools in June and Canada-USA border will be closed for another month. I think that was a good move by both the provincial and federal governments. :thumb:

Do you guys believe that Donald Trump is actually taking hydroxychloroquine??

I don't. I can't believe that a reputable doctor would prescribe it to him to use as a preventative measure. :bs: