Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Coronavirus

#21 Post by Hokahey » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:50 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:22 pm
Pandemonium wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:58 pm
The misinformation, hysteria and politicizing of this event is astounding. You would think civilization has days left and we'll soon be facing the zombie apocalypse.
Not necessarily saying you’re wrong... but a highly infectious virus that kills 2-4% of all those infected seems like a reasonable cause for global concern. On March 4 I’ll return to being in contact with hundreds of kids, their parents and grandparents in the football school I work at. I wouldn’t want to infect them and be a bridge for the death of 2-4 of them.

I’ll get tested asap.
It's nowhere near 2 to 4%. There are so many unreported cases of people that are asymptomatic or had mild symptoms at worst that were never tested.

Larry B.

#22 Post by Larry B. » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:36 pm

According to the WHO, it is :noclue:

mockbee

#23 Post by mockbee » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:12 am

Oh great....

Case found in Lake Oswego, OR.....I drove through there yesterday. May not hear from me again......
:wavesad:

Creep is in Solano County CA where first case was found. Havent heard from him in a bit.......

:noclue:

:jasper: :jasper: :hs:

intertwoven

#24 Post by intertwoven » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:17 am

Hey.. My wife's family includes 2 elementary teachers who work in the area and we're supposed to have lunch with them Sunday. Nice knowing ya'll! :wave:

mockbee

#25 Post by mockbee » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:34 am

See ya soon on the flip side....

:tiphat:

Larry B.

#26 Post by Larry B. » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:22 am

RIP the JA community.

Pandemonium

#27 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:22 am

Larry B. wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:22 am
RIP the JA community.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#28 Post by Hokahey » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:27 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:36 pm
According to the WHO, it is :noclue:
Because they have to report on numbers actually counted.

mockbee

#29 Post by mockbee » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:32 am

I would not be the least bit surprised that 10,000 people even in the 100K in the US have SARS CoV2 already.
Hardly anyone has been tested that was not directly flown in from overseas.

This will explode once CDC/US healthcare catches up...
Korea only looks bad, ironically, because they are extremely organized....

This will be huge from a logistics standpoint. I am not concerned about the virus itself. I think the mortality rate is probably really low. I am highly concerned about our current inept and potential hysterical response though.....

It's crazy that mandatory quaranteenedned patients are being sent $4-5K bills for their treatment/stays......
From personal experience our healthcare system is completely fucked up.
:no:

J. Wes Ulm, MD, PhD
Los Angeles
The United States is likely to become the global center of the coronavirus pandemic since it feeds on four fundamental weaknesses that now plague our society, more than any other in the developed world: technical expertise stifled by bureaucracy, lack of adequate sick leave, no universal healthcare, and inability to muster coordinated public responses for the common good.

Dozens of countries now have functioning coronavirus testing modules, validated per WHO protocols, and have tested millions of people. South Korea alone tests over 10,000 a day. Yet two months in, barely a few hundred Americans have received tests even though SARS-CoV-2 is already demonstrating rampant US community spread, not only due to faulty test kits but also frustrating red tape that has impeded local testing development and even importation of kits from overseas. The hard-earned US reputation for bringing great technical expertise to bear is now permanently in tatters.

Meanwhile, potentially infected workers balk at taking sick days for fear of losing income or even their jobs. High deductibles or lack of health coverage discourage others from seeking medical treatment until the viral load and lethality are elevated, and public coordination is all but impossible amid our current polarization.

Thanks to this perfect storm, the USA is the ideal breeding ground for SARS-CoV-2 to spread rapidly, in its most virulent form, at the highest viral titers and with dismal rates of detection.

Artemis

#30 Post by Artemis » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:18 am

mockbee

#31 Post by mockbee » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:27 am

Larry B. wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:22 am
RIP the JA community.
Yea....make sure not to inhale too deeply near your phone/computer.
:banana:

Still hanging on over here.....

:rockon:

:lol:

Artemis

#32 Post by Artemis » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:56 pm

27 cases of COVID-19 confirmed in Canada. No deaths reported yet.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... ction.html

Bandit72

#33 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:21 am

Hype wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:52 pm
If you’ve got any spare cash lying around at all, now’s a nice time to buy some index funds.
What would you recommend?

Bandit72

#34 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:43 am

Hype

#35 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:54 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:21 am
Hype wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:52 pm
If you’ve got any spare cash lying around at all, now’s a nice time to buy some index funds.
What would you recommend?
Oops, too late. A ton of stuff is about to get much more expensive for a while, though, thanks to the manufacturing shutdowns and difficulty with shipping out of China right now.

mockbee

#36 Post by mockbee » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:00 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:43 am
Yup. 5G potential to be disasterous to human health isn't conspiracy BS.....

Interesting about the Wuhan connection. Sounds like a disasterous blunder..... I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories. But I do subscribe to the potential for disasterous ineptitude and profits before human health. That's just basic human nature.... :tiphat:

Scientific American agrees, along with hundreds of other studies....of course the US government does no funding of studies. Not a good look for the corporate hegemony....? :noclue:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... g-is-safe/

Stay aware/clear of that shit.... :thumb:

Larry B.

#37 Post by Larry B. » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:46 pm

5G absorbs oxygen, and that’s really important to know. On your oxygen molecules, the little electrons, with 5G they start to oscillate. So 5G is absorbing the oxygen and then your haemoglobin can’t take up the oxygen.
I think that doesn't make any sense at all. I'm hoping it's not true, too.

creep
Site Admin

#38 Post by creep » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Artemis

#39 Post by Artemis » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:09 am

What are your employers doing about Coronavirus? Are they encouraging people to stay home if they're sick? Is your employer increasing cleaning services to disinfect surfaces, provide hand sanitizer, etc?
What about sick days? Do you have any? Paid or unpaid?
Work from home option?
What if you're in quarantine? Is there compensation av available?

The advice here, and elsewhere, I assume, is to stay home if you're sick. Easier said than done, I think. Many people don't have paid sick days if they're not full-time employees or or are self-employed or contract employees. In the US, many still don't have medical coverage and won't see a doctor. How can they confirm if they have COVID-19??

Hokahey
Site Admin

#40 Post by Hokahey » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:36 am

I am fortunate in that while I have an office, my job is on my laptop and wherever I decide to take it. I've had stretches where I've not seen my office for months at a time.

The downside is that as I am almost always working, and always find myself working on vacation.

But if the worst part of my professional life is working on the beach, so be it.

So I'm definitely enjoying working from home for awhile until this calms down.

Bandit72

#41 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:11 am

People are panic buying over here. You can't get hand sanitizer anywhere. Evern water and toilet roll (?) stocks are low in the supermarkets. I just find it a bit weird that people have suddenly decided to wash their hands now a new virus has appeared.

Hype

#42 Post by Hype » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:45 am

We're animals. People are being ultra-superstitious out of fear, and this is, counterintuitively, endangering the people who will likely suffer the most from this (the elderly and those with already suppressed immune systems -- everyone with rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, HIV, a transplanted organ, etc).

In the 17th century, there were periods of plague resurgence where cities were quarantined and many people died. The only way to escape it back then was to head out to the countryside and self-isolate. Despite modern hygiene practices existing, because there is no vaccine and no good treatment, this is probably the only way to guarantee you don't catch it now. Hand-washing and avoiding touching mucous membranes (your face!) is just what you should be doing anyway.

It's estimated that 40-70% of the world is going to catch this, and 80% of those will be mild or even asymptomatic -- corona-viruses cause 30% of all colds (rhinoviruses cause the other 70%). But for the other 20%, most of whom will be over 60, there will be pneumonia and bacterial infections and death for upwards of 15% of them, and for the other 85%, hospitalization, and a long recovery.

mockbee

#43 Post by mockbee » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:50 pm

Artemis wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:09 am

What if you're in quarantine? Is there compensation av available?
Nope. You get slapped with the bill. If you have health insurance through employer you'll have to drain your deductable first and most likely the quarantine will be "out if network"...usually doubling the deductable. So you're out $4-8,000 if you have a two week mandatory quarantine with pretty good insurance. Totally screwed without insurance. 2 week stay would cost $80,000-100,000 total. You could talk them down a bit, but goodbye to a year of your life on hold with insurers. That is the case at the moment....even if insurers say otherwise. No fed help yet.

I've had to go through that scenario twice in my life now with other medical conditions.
:banghead: :jasper:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... s.amp.html

chaos

#44 Post by chaos » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:48 pm

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4860 ... pplemental

Gaetz initially maintained that he was within his rights to wear the device on the House floor despite the sergeant-at-arms requesting that he remove it in the chamber.

"There are provisions in the House rules that permit medically necessary headgear," Gaetz said after walking off the floor.

During an animated conversation with Rep. Ruben Gallego, the Arizona Democrat informed Gaetz he was wearing the mask incorrectly.

"Look, bipartisanship," Gallego said of his decision to help his GOP colleague.

"Gallego told me how. He knows how because he's a Marine," Gaetz said, confirming he had since adjusted the device. "He showed me how you wear it correctly."

Rep. Paul Mitchell (R-Mich.) at one point jokingly sat next to Gaetz and covered his air vent. :lol:

mockbee

#45 Post by mockbee » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:53 pm

chaos wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:48 pm
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4860 ... pplemental

Gaetz initially maintained that he was within his rights to wear the device on the House floor despite the sergeant-at-arms requesting that he remove it in the chamber.

"There are provisions in the House rules that permit medically necessary headgear," Gaetz said after walking off the floor.

During an animated conversation with Rep. Ruben Gallego, the Arizona Democrat informed Gaetz he was wearing the mask incorrectly.

"Look, bipartisanship," Gallego said of his decision to help his GOP colleague.

"Gallego told me how. He knows how because he's a Marine," Gaetz said, confirming he had since adjusted the device. "He showed me how you wear it correctly."

Rep. Paul Mitchell (R-Mich.) at one point jokingly sat next to Gaetz and covered his air vent. :lol:

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Oh man. Can't wait to see the late shows take on this..... :lol: