Coronavirus

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Charles

Re: Coronavirus

#561 Post by Charles » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:56 am

Dumb question, I guess I'm really late to the game...but does anyone know where to buy a few mask? Some of Amazon is saying mid-June for delivery. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Be well,
-Charles

kv

#562 Post by kv » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:45 pm

Get cutting t-shirts or grab a bandana or scarf...there are how to's everywhere it's not hard...good luck finding real masks they aren't even supposed to be sold to non medical at this point

Pandemonium

#563 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:17 pm

Charles wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:56 am
Dumb question, I guess I'm really late to the game...but does anyone know where to buy a few mask? Some of Amazon is saying mid-June for delivery. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Be well,
-Charles
IMO, Amazon has really shit the bed through this crisis. They are supposed to be getting and shipping the “necessities” but good luck finding any of that stuff actually in stock. Meanwhile, even Prime members have wait times up to a month for anything else. I’ve actually found eBay sellers are the best, fastest way to get things - the USPS is still moving packages at near-normal speed. The only thing you need to be careful with eBay sellers is those that are actually shipping from China but indicate they are based in the US. Always check feedback before bidding or buying.

If you can find a local beauty supply store that’s open, they are a good somewhat hidden source for non-Medical grade masks, hair ties for home mad masks, wipes and rubbing alcohol as well.

Artemis

#564 Post by Artemis » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:53 pm

I don't remember if I've mentioned this but my mother had her 3rd fall back in November-not breaks or fractures-and spent a week in the hospital followed by two months in a rehab hospital. Prior to her release I was seriously looking into a long-term/ nursing home or assisted living facility because I didn't feel it was safe for her to return to her house. My mother refused but agreed to more in-home help and changes in her house, such as making the living room into a bedroom to minimize using the stairs. Anyway, I can't help thinking that if she'd gone to one of these facilities she may have contracted the virus. She's in the high risk group- over 80, had a stroke, high blood pressure.

Artemis

#565 Post by Artemis » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:03 pm

I love this!
"‘Laverne and Shirley’ Animated Opening Theme Tribute to Ohio Governor Mike DeWine and Dr. Amy Acton

Dave Stofka of Stofka Creative created a wonderful animated tribute that stars Ohio Governor Mike DeWine and Dr. Amy Acton, the loveable duo who provide daily press briefings on the current situation. Stofka used “Making Our Dreams Come True”, the iconic theme song from Laverne and Shirley, updating the lyrics to reflect how they are keeping Ohioans safe during this very trying time in history.

The strong leadership he and his team have provided since early on in the crisis has earned international attention and acclaim and looks to have benefited Ohio with lower case numbers and more tempered strain on the medical system than expected. But until now his extremely popular press conferences have never had a theme song.

Larry B.

#566 Post by Larry B. » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:54 pm

Artemis wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:53 pm
I don't remember if I've mentioned this but my mother had her 3rd fall back in November-not breaks or fractures-and spent a week in the hospital followed by two months in a rehab hospital. Prior to her release I was seriously looking into a long-term/ nursing home or assisted living facility because I didn't feel it was safe for her to return to her house. My mother refused but agreed to more in-home help and changes in her house, such as making the living room into a bedroom to minimize using the stairs. Anyway, I can't help thinking that if she'd gone to one of these facilities she may have contracted the virus. She's in the high risk group- over 80, had a stroke, high blood pressure.
Wow. That’s really powerful, somehow.

My parents are around 67 and I’ve actually gone worried for them because of the virus. It’s like... there’s suddenly a real risk that they die, from a disease with no known cure. And it’s quite horrifying thinking about it, but also realising that I don’t feel compelled to call every day or to attempt a meaningful communication with them.

Life is fucked up sometimes.

Pandemonium

#567 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:08 am

My wife was let go today. Her company is likely going to file bankruptcy.

drwintercreeper

#568 Post by drwintercreeper » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:15 pm

That sucks dude. I feel for you and your family.

A LOT of businesses, education, etc. are going to be very different on the other side of this mountain.

Pandemonium

#569 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:08 am
An added kick in the nuts, it looks like the water line that runs in the wall behind the kitchen sink area cracked or something, our kitchen flooded ruining the flooring in the kitchen and laundry room. A similar thing happened around 2011 and we had to live in a hotel for almost 6 month while everything was fixed.

Bandit72

#570 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:10 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:35 pm
Pandemonium wrote:
An added kick in the nuts, it looks like the water line that runs in the wall behind the kitchen sink area cracked or something, our kitchen flooded ruining the flooring in the kitchen and laundry room. A similar thing happened around 2011 and we had to live in a hotel for almost 6 month while everything was fixed.
Really sorry to hear this Panda, I'm hoping you all find a way to pull through this.

SR

#571 Post by SR » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:38 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:35 pm
Pandemonium wrote:
Oh, fucking ouch. Are you sorting through the EDD relief measures? And I hope your insurance acts quickly; they might as they are so used to saying no to biz interruption claims.

Best with it, for real

Artemis

#572 Post by Artemis » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:49 pm

Panda, sorry to hear your news today...that really sucks.

mockbee

#573 Post by mockbee » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:50 pm

Wow, that sucks.. :wavesad:

Life has been big trip lately for sure. I have been on the jobless train starting a couple months ago...at least benefits are ramping up....
:noclue:

I think for sure things are going to be different coming back. Big firms are going through massive layoffs now. They were transitioning to subbing out work to India/China for a while....I bet that ramps up with the retooling rhat will occur, and all the capital they are getting in CARES Bill.....already evidence they are moving ahead with layoffs even though taxpayer support is coming.... :balls:

Im actually okay with it if things go more independent.....just need support with healthcare and retirement....because right now contact/freelancers are treated like shit....

Well, all in it together...... :wave: :drink: :drink: :scared:

Artemis

#574 Post by Artemis » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:53 pm

I think this move is great! I hope Trump blows a gasket. :lol:

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2020/04/13/calif ... Z3pega2mVk
California, Oregon & Washington Announce Western States Pact

West Coast states agree region will move toward reopening based on health outcomes

SACRAMENTO — Today, California Governor Gavin Newsom, Oregon Governor Kate Brown and Washington Governor Jay Inslee announced an agreement on a shared vision for reopening their economies and controlling COVID-19 into the future.

Joint statement from the Governors:

COVID-19 has preyed upon our interconnectedness. In the coming weeks, the West Coast will flip the script on COVID-19 – with our states acting in close coordination and collaboration to ensure the virus can never spread wildly in our communities.

We are announcing that California, Oregon and Washington have agreed to work together on a shared approach for reopening our economies – one that identifies clear indicators for communities to restart public life and business.

While each state is building a state-specific plan, our states have agreed to the following principles as we build out a West Coast framework:

–Our residents’ health comes first. As home to one in six Americans and gateway to the rest of the world, the West Coast has an outsized stake in controlling and ultimately defeating COVID-19.

–Health outcomes and science – not politics – will guide these decisions. Modifications to our states’ stay at home orders must be made based off our understanding of the total health impacts of COVID-19, including: the direct impact of the disease on our communities; the health impact of measures introduced to control the spread in communities —particularly felt by those already experiencing social disadvantage prior to COVID-19; and our health care systems’ ability to ensure care for those who may become sick with COVID-19 and other conditions. This effort will be guided by data. We need to see a decline in the rate of spread of the virus before large-scale reopening, and we will be working in coordination to identify the best metrics to guide this.

–Our states will only be effective by working together. Each state will work with its local leaders and communities within its borders to understand what’s happening on the ground and adhere to our agreed upon approach.

Through quick and decisive action, each of our states has made significant progress in flattening the curve and slowing the spread of COVID-19 among the broader public. Now, our public health leaders will focus on four goals that will be critical for controlling the virus in the future.

Protecting vulnerable populations at risk for severe disease if infected. This includes a concerted effort to prevent and fight outbreaks in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.
Ensuring an ability to care for those who may become sick with COVID-19 and other conditions. This will require adequate hospital surge capacity and supplies of personal protective equipment.
Mitigating the non-direct COVID-19 health impacts, particularly on disadvantaged communities.
Protecting the general public by ensuring any successful lifting of interventions includes the development of a system for testing, tracking and isolating. The states will work together to share best practices.
COVID-19 doesn’t follow state or national boundaries. It will take every level of government, working together, and a full picture of what’s happening on the ground.

In the coming days the governors, their staff and health officials will continue conversations about this regional pact to recovery.

SR

#575 Post by SR » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:00 pm

Dr. Fauci is a whore too. I wish I were surprised

SR

#576 Post by SR » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:07 pm

My god, this CV update from trump is horrifying

SR

#577 Post by SR » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:31 pm

This guy is truly insane. So much for science, for the humanities, for truth. There was a duty to warn and we didn't come close to acknowledging any of it. :rockon:

We get, and will get what we deserve :nod: Let's nuke the tornadoes; let's rake the forest; let's look to the sun during an eclipse. God will provide

Arty, sponsor me!!!! :wiggle:

Squee

#578 Post by Squee » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:02 pm

Charles wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:56 am

Be well,
-Charles
I am on a mailing list for a local dance wear company (for my daughter) and they sent a link for masks the other day.
They look very comfortable, basic cotton and don't loop onto ears.(I wore one that does shopping for parents the other day and ouch!)
Made to be a N95 cover; but if you don't have N95 and don't want to improvise your own basic mask, this is a great option.
https://eurotard.com/v4/ShowStyle.aspx?style=M1901
Stay safe.

Sorry about all the bad news Panda. I know about water damage and yeah, it is a long slow process. Hoping insurance and unemployment kick in fast for your family.

Great thoughts on California on the last few pages. I was thinking about this the other day and I have some input being a native of the SF Bay. I'll try to summarize my perspective after I am done being a new high school teacher to my teen!Today we are working on WW2 and the Great Depression. It's sparking some really great dialog with her.
Last edited by Squee on Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry B.

#579 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:04 pm

Sorry to hear that, Panda. A moment to pull together and push through. Wish you all the best.

Pandemonium

#580 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:42 pm

Thanks guys for the kind thoughts. Anyone that's followed my ramblings through the years knows we've had some really bad shit happen every so often and today certainly ranks up there. But at least we still got our health, ha ha.

mockbee

#581 Post by mockbee » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:49 am

okay...... i've had about enough of this.......corona can go FUCK OFF!!!!
:waits: :ax: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :balls: :balls: :drink:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:mediate:

Hype

#582 Post by Hype » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:54 am

mockbee wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:49 am
okay...... i've had about enough of this.......corona can go FUCK OFF!!!!
:waits: :ax: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :balls: :balls: :drink:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:mediate:
They just renewed the emergency powers in Ontario, Canada for another month. It was kind of expected, but I think a lot of people still haven't quite digested what this means. It means the police can fine you a minimum of $800 just for being in a group of more than 5 people in public, or for bringing your kids to any public or private property outdoors for any reason that isn't a necessity (i.e., medical or food). It means they can arrest you. They can enter your house without a warrant "on reasonable suspicion of a violation of the act" -- i.e., if they think you're congregating in your own house.

The older generation seems to have more difficulty with this than the younger generation, I think because it's harder to break habits the older you get. But either way, it's not great. And I think planners know this, on some level. They've (and the Prime Minister has also) said as much out loud. So, probably what will happen is that they'll hope that the numbers go down enough to justify doing *something* -- they'll slightly relax some of the restrictions, but keep the majority of it in place, and we may see the numbers go back up again. :bored:

Pandemonium

#583 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:25 am

The good and the bad.....

We're pretty screwed here at home. The water damage is going to necessitate ripping out the walls up to about 3 feet from the floor as well as all the flooring in the kitchen, dining room and laundry room, basically almost half the house just like last time. The whole kitchen will be gutted and rebuilt. We won't have a oven, stove and laundry while this is being done and it will probably take a couple months. Fortunately it's insured although we have a $1,000 deductible.

We're now all out of work along with our son stuck in the house. Thus it becomes the whole quarantine-in-house/stay at home issue. There's no open hotels to put us up in while this is being done, so we're stuck in the house where we can't cook and do laundry and of course plumber, remediation and contractor workers will have to be in and out of the house while work is being done for probably a month plus going forward. This morning a guy who has to test the walls and floor for lead and asbestos content before work can begin showed up in full moon suit hazmat regalia, totally freaking out my neighbors.

Speaking of hotels, at least one I talked to was apparently taken over "temporarily" by local government to house local homeless people. The guy said within just a couple weeks several rooms were rendered uninhabitable due to people actually shitting in the rooms on the floor instead of using the toilets among other unsanitary practices. He currently doesn't know who or how his building is eventually going to be cleaned up due to some insurance clause due to the state taking over the place.

On the plus side, we got the government stimulus $2,400 in our account last night. Financially, we're ok for a few months,my wife got a decent severance package, but the issue is going to be insurance coverage. COBRA which basically extends our current insurance which was originally part of my wife's work benefits is about $2k a month.

mockbee

#584 Post by mockbee » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:28 am

They just renewed the emergency powers in Ontario, Canada for another month. It was kind of expected, but I think a lot of people still haven't quite digested what this means. It means the police can fine you a minimum of $800 just for being in a group of more than 5 people in public, or for bringing your kids to any public or private property outdoors for any reason that isn't a necessity (i.e., medical or food). It means they can arrest you. They can enter your house without a warrant "on reasonable suspicion of a violation of the act" -- i.e., if they think you're congregating in your own house.

The older generation seems to have more difficulty with this than the younger generation, I think because it's harder to break habits the older you get. But either way, it's not great. And I think planners know this, on some level. They've (and the Prime Minister has also) said as much out loud. So, probably what will happen is that they'll hope that the numbers go down enough to justify doing *something* -- they'll slightly relax some of the restrictions, but keep the majority of it in place, and we may see the numbers go back up again. :bored:

Yeah, I'm doing actually quite well personally, compared to what other people are experiencing.....not even counting people directly affected by the virus, including the sick, the families, direct responders, business owners etc.

Just the uncertainty is really weird. I am not a forward looking person, needing a plan, etc, but I assume other people have a plan that I can adapt to. I understand why there can't be "a plan" until people figure out what the hell is going on, but we've been "waiting" months.......yeah, yeah what else to do.... :balls:

Days just slip into other days and seems all you really do is look forward to meals and then it's bedtime then you do the same shit all over again..... :balls: :balls: :balls:

It's like a month(S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: ) long airplane flight, where you are in super first class, with all the meals and space and tv and entertainment you could ever hope for! Great at first, then you wonder.....WHEN THE HELL IS THIS FLIGHT OVER WITH!!!!!

People are getting weird too, nonresponsive, insular etc.....

blah...

I am going to go on a really long bike ride now...... :rockon:

mockbee

#585 Post by mockbee » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:35 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:25 am
The good and the bad.....

On the plus side, we got the government stimulus $2,400 in our account last night. Financially, we're ok for a few months,my wife got a decent severance package, but the issue is going to be insurance coverage. COBRA which basically extends our current insurance which was originally part of my wife's work benefits is about $2k a month.
Wow, that is not enviable..... have to have a good sense of humor on that one....... :tiphat:

COBRA is a joke, unless you are a cancer patient or on dialysis or some other crazy expensive care...... For regular working folks, it's a bankrupter (or a non-starter)...... :noclue: :no: